Topic Stats

• 8,557 posts
  • 533 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by yuriijos
  • Topic is favorited by 257 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,636 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

218568B3-6D8E-476E-A73D-51EACAC45F26 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3998.JPG
CD2E6D3C-84F4-4C7B-A68A-AAD6194B9CD2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3955.JPG
cable (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
DSC00480 (resized).JPG
DSC00481 (resized).JPG
72D34C0F-AE2F-4E18-A4F1-AF46E888FBC1 (resized).jpeg
8AB2926C-7A00-459B-B22C-3B1E0FB5A81F.png
020F260B-079E-417B-A5BF-2E272AF0A795.jpeg
337E3514-95E4-4766-B9B5-FDD3D5CDA4C5.jpeg
IMG_20200510_134243 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200510_134318 (resized).jpg
Shooter Lane Ramp.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8557 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 172.
#7051 11 months ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

LE is nice. Aren't they sold out though?
So CE no with color $6000, CE with color for $6400 or SE with larger color screen, better sound, tri color led main saucer, shaker with slightly longer warranty for $900 more at $7300 or find a huo LE. Hmmm toss up for me. All good IMHO

There's an LE in TN for $7500. I'd do that before a NIB "classic" or SE. It's THAT much better.

#7052 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

There's an LE in TN for $7500. I'd do that before a NIB "classic" or SE. It's THAT much better.

Sure! Grab a HOU LE "if" it is local for sure. There is also a $5900 SE that has been on location in AL also. I bought a HOU CE with a chip at a nice discount.

The South East is a great place to buy pins.

#7053 11 months ago

LE is nice. Aren't they sold out though?
So CE no with color $6000, CE with color for $6400 or SE with larger color screen, better sound, tri color led main saucer, shaker with slightly longer warranty for $900 more at $7300 or find a huo LE. Hmmm toss up for me. All good IMHO

it's a great dilemma to be in - you can't loose!

#7054 11 months ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

it's a great dilemma to be in - you can't loose!

Yeah previous pricing had the CE at $6500 and the color Chip would bring it to $6900?! No way would you consider that with the SE at $7300. That being said folks should keep an eye out for a HUO LE. It is a nice all round package.

#7055 11 months ago

Yeah previous pricing had the CE at $6500 and the color Chip would bring it to $6900?! No way would you consider that with the SE at $7300. That being said folks should keep an eye out for a HUO LE. It is a nice all round package.

Agreed. The LE is awesome and that topper is one of the best I've ever seen.

#7056 11 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Yep. Blows the Monster Bash topper away. CGC set the bar so high with AfMrLE's topper they couldn't get back to it on MB.

#7057 11 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Agreed and Agreed. For me, the LE was a no-brainer. If I couldn't have found one NIB, I'd have waited for a low-play HUO, which come up pretty frequently at less than what I paid for my NIB. Worth every penny over the CE and SE, IMO.

#7058 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Yep. Blows the Monster Bash topper away. CGC set the bar so high with AfMrLE's topper they couldn't get back to it on MB.

Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Agreed and Agreed. For me, the LE was a no-brainer. If I couldn't have found one NIB, I'd have waited for a low-play HUO, which come up pretty frequently at less than what I paid for my NIB. Worth every penny over the CE and SE, IMO.

The alien being interactive with the game just does so much to give the game a "personality". You really feel like you are fighting against the game and it's engaging and awesome. I don't see selling this one for a long time.

#7059 11 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

The alien being interactive with the game just does so much to give the game a "personality". You really feel like you are fighting against the game and it's engaging and awesome. I don't see selling this one for a long time.

Yup. My kids are going to fighting over this one when I die...

#7060 11 months ago

Not sure how this works...

03666078-D069-4428-B846-6FE4D8214E98 (resized).jpeg
#7061 11 months ago
Quoted from dugmar:

Not sure how this works...[quoted image]

Yup, mine is something like that too, meaning higher. Must be some advanced math.

#7062 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Full disclosure - I couldn’t fit the topper for the ceiling height in my basement. Found this out when my friend was selling his HUO AFM LE. Doh! Love the LE and especially the topper but couldn’t make it work.

So later on traded my GOTG Pro I bought HUO at a nice discount and cash to a friend for his AFM CE with a color chip. No regrets whatsoever.

#7063 11 months ago

Full disclosure - I couldn’t fit the topper for the ceiling height in my basement. Found this out when my friend was selling his HUO AFM LE. Doh! Love the LE and especially the topper but couldn’t make it work.
So later on traded my GOTG Pro I bought HUO at a nice discount and cash to a friend for his AFM CE with a color chip. No regrets whatsoever.

I have the same issue. My basement gameroom ceiling is too low for toppers.

I also have to say, I’m not a big fan of the big DMD. It looks stretched, a bit overwhelmingly large, and the images look out of proportion to me. I’m a big fan of backbox art too, and I feel the oversized DMD detracts from it. I guess I just prefer the classic size display. Loving my CE.

#7064 11 months ago

Posting an update to the ball launch issues in case it helps others.

For the ball launch not making it to the top or all the way around, I went through it all - read all the posts, CGC tickets, ball guide updates, ramp bending, launch strength, launch angle, etc. and the overall launch was much better. It would make it to the top almost all the time, and all the way around about 8-9 out of 10 times. However, I noticed that ball would still sometimes hit the upper wire frame (slow motion camera), and of course this can be raised up slightly, but not enough to always clear it.
So, this is pretty much how it is on all games as far as I can tell. The launch ramp angle usually just barely clears the upper wireframe. Launch strength can be decreased too. However, the only way I see to keep the ball from flying too high at default launch strength all the time, is to lower the ramp slope angle to ensure the ball rolls along at the surface and doesn't fly up any higher. This was accomplished by bending the ramp at a lower point (closer to the start) just slightly so the slope is more gradual. Now it works perfectly, with slow motion camera verifying.

#7065 11 months ago
Quoted from Kredmore:

Posting an update to the ball launch issues in case it helps others.
For the ball launch not making it to the top or all the way around, I went through it all - read all the posts, CGC tickets, ball guide updates, ramp bending, launch strength, launch angle, etc. and the overall launch was much better. It would make it to the top almost all the time, and all the way around about 8-9 out of 10 times. However, I noticed that ball would still sometimes hit the upper wire frame (slow motion camera), and of course this can be raised up slightly, but not enough to always clear it.
So, this is pretty much how it is on all games as far as I can tell. The launch ramp angle usually just barely clears the upper wireframe. Launch strength can be decreased too. However, the only way I see to keep the ball from flying too high at default launch strength all the time, is to lower the ramp slope angle to ensure the ball rolls along at the surface and doesn't fly up any higher. This was accomplished by bending the ramp at a lower point (closer to the start) just slightly so the slope is more gradual. Now it works perfectly, with slow motion camera verifying.

Very, very nice.

Yea it just doesn’t happen consistently enough to bother me anymore. I think the CGC ball replacement guide likely makes the most difference?

Could you share with us the before and after slow motion videos?

#7066 11 months ago

I've been planning on getting an MBr next since my fiancee is super into that game. She finally got to play an AFMr (SE) today, and I'm glad to say she likes it far more than MBr. So I think AFMr is next on my list, just trying to decide between Classic and SE. I'm leaning towards SE, but if a deal popped up on the Classic I'd probably go for it!

#7067 11 months ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Very, very nice.
Yea it just doesn’t happen consistently enough to bother me anymore. I think the CGC ball replacement guide likely makes the most difference?

Yes, the ball guide replacement allows the ball to reach the top consistently, even when the ball hits the wireframe ramp slightly. For this issue, it's easy to test, as you can just launch ball after ball in test mode while putting your finger on the wireframe to feel the ball hit from time to time. If you prop the top diverter open, you will see that the ball will not make it all the way around when it hits. Then you can lift (or remove) the wireframe and no longer feel the ball hit, allowing the ball to go all the way around.

But agreed, it doesn't happen enough consistently to cause too much trouble, and probably why CGC didn't really bother during game testing.

#7068 11 months ago

Question, I picked up a CE this week and installed the HD color DMD upgrade chip and noticed that the main saucer has the red green blue tri color led's. Is that part of the effect of the upgrade or is something else going on here? I am new to this game but thought that all the CE's had only red led's on the main saucer?

#7069 11 months ago
Quoted from johnnypinball:

Question, I picked up a CE this week and installed the HD color DMD upgrade chip and noticed that the main saucer has the red green blue tri color led's. Is that part of the effect of the upgrade or is something else going on here? I am new to this game but thought that all the CE's had only red led's on the main saucer?

Yes, the CE has the tri-colored lights on the main saucer. They can be enabled if you add the color chip. (Maybe even without the color chip?)

You can disable this in the CGC menu, if you just want one color. I think you can even chose which single color to use, if I remember correctly.

I've got mine set to use all the colors and it's a nice effect.

#7070 11 months ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Yes, the CE has the tri-colored lights on the main saucer. They can be enabled if you add the color chip. (Maybe even without the color chip?)
You can disable this in the CGC menu, if you just want one color. I think you can even chose which single color to use, if I remember correctly.
I've got mine set to use all the colors and it's a nice effect.

Interesting?! I just stare at the PF when I play and don’t know about this but will check this out and see.

#7071 11 months ago
Quoted from dugmar:

I also have to say, I’m not a big fan of the big DMD.

I think the big dmd looks squished. I say that with no online “let’s fight” attitude, but it is just me and to each their own. I don’t care much either way on it really. Color though looks soooo much better on the dmd. If you get a CE get the color upgrade, but at that price point maybe look at the next level up. AFM so many good choices, so many problems. Lol

#7072 11 months ago

Interesting?! I just stare at the PF when I play and don’t know about this but will check this out and see.

Yep, give it a shot. I just looked at the menu to verify. It is in the CGC menu on the "lighting" screen. You can set Big Saucer to red, green, blue, or Interactive. With the latter meaning that it will use all the colors during the game.

Hopefully this is what you guys were referring to and I am not misunderstanding.

I know this works if you have the color chip. Not sure if it works without it. According to the manual, the color chip is required. But I could swear this was working this way before I installed it. But I'm probably wrong about that.

#7073 11 months ago

Been a while since I've fired this pin up (been busy with BM66 and Spidey), but decided to give it a go this evening and put up one of my best scores yet and got RTU! Such a blast when the flippers and lights go out!!!
IMG_20190622_172754 (resized).jpg

#7074 11 months ago

It's so satisfying to see TEX go bye bye

#7075 11 months ago

Are there any photos out there showing the difference in the color upgrade for the CE? I know there are screenshots showing the difference with the alien getting hit by the pinball, but it'd be cool to see before and afters on the actual machine. I was digging through the gallery on the thread and didn't see any.

I'm sure someone with a CE has taken before and after shots!

#7076 11 months ago

Four comments:

1) I just realized that this game has mirror blades and it looks REALLY good. Now compelled to add to my POTC.

2) I can light “Video Mode” never, ever. It just doesn’t happen. I have played around 500 games and don’t recall it happening once.

3) The ball is struggling...a bit to successfully get up to the pops so I may bend the metal a touch or whatever during the next waxing and continue to address.

4) Sometimes when playing pinball things just don’t go your way. I played for around an hour or so last night and I COULD NOT for the life of me destroy just two countries. So disheartening.

#7077 11 months ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

4) Sometimes when playing pinball things just don’t go your way. I played for around an hour or so last night and I COULD NOT for the life of me destroy just two countries. So disheartening.

Haha, that's pinball!

I got to End of the Line twice in the first month of owning MET, with a top score of 1.5 billion, and in the last month of playing, I can't break 200 million!

It's actually at the point where I am considering selling it because it's cursed haha!

#7078 11 months ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Four comments:

Well, technically, you are SAVING the countries.

But I know what you mean. That saucer is harder to hit than it would seem. Especially from the right flipper. I was starting to wonder if it was just my game.

#7079 11 months ago
Quoted from Fizz:

But I know what you mean. That saucer is harder to hit than it would seem. Especially from the right flipper. I was starting to wonder if it was just my game.

I started to wonder as well...

I’m sure it’s just me lol

#7080 11 months ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Four comments:
1) I just realized that this game has mirror blades and it looks REALLY good. Now compelled to add to my POTC.
2) I can light “Video Mode” never, ever. It just doesn’t happen. I have played around 500 games and don’t recall it happening once.
3) The ball is struggling...a bit to successfully get up to the pops so I may bend the metal a touch or whatever during the next waxing and continue to address.

tenor (resized).png
#7081 11 months ago

YouTube has a video by Bowen on how he plays this game. I now do this and my scores have doubled. Aiming for the saucer is a very risky tactic.

#7083 11 months ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Are there any photos out there showing the difference in the color upgrade for the CE? I know there are screenshots showing the difference with the alien getting hit by the pinball, but it'd be cool to see before and afters on the actual machine. I was digging through the gallery on the thread and didn't see any.
I'm sure someone with a CE has taken before and after shots!

They have several before and after pictures side by side on CGC's website. I was going to copy and paste them here for you but I could not get them to post properly.

#7084 11 months ago

I could not get them to post properly.

Pictures here.

https://www.chicago-gaming.com/coinop/attack-from-mars

LTG : )

afm-GermanyAfter-lg (resized).pngafm-GermanyBefore-lg (resized).png
#7085 11 months ago

They have several before and after pictures side by side on CGC's website. I was going to copy and paste them here for you but I could not get them to post properly.

Quoted from LTG:

Pictures here.
https://www.chicago-gaming.com/coinop/attack-from-mars
LTG : )[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks guys. I was being dumb and didn't realize the display is literally just an LCD, so I guess quality-wise it just ends up being a smaller version of the SE/LE screen. I was also curious what it looks like on the actual machine, but I managed to trackdown a handful of for sale posts that had the color display, which looks great.

I think I'm pretty sold on going with the CE at this point, now it's just a matter of when I do that....

#7086 11 months ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Couldn’t agree more. Right flipper hitting the saucer for me is really difficult.

#7087 11 months ago

Searched for this cannot find it. In the last couple of months now and again the skill shot launch stops at the top left gate and goes to the pops. I have inspected the left flipper and swapped opto boards. Also done the flipper binding fix. Still does on a rare occasion. Trying to work out if I have a problem with left flipper or not.

Anyone had similar?

Thanks.

#7088 11 months ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Searched for this cannot find it. In the last couple of months now and again the skill shot launch stops at the top left gate and goes to the pops. I have inspected the left flipper and swapped opto boards. Also done the flipper binding fix. Still does on a rare occasion. Trying to work out if I have a problem with left flipper or not.
Anyone had similar?
Thanks.

Lower the autolaunch power.

#7089 11 months ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Four comments:

1. Powerbladez look better on AfMr, IMO.
2. You just need to keep the ball in the pop bumpers. When you get down to 0, next SOL hit gives you video mode (you can bank a smart bomb to use in the video mode by hitting launch when the Cow is in the beam animation)
3. Never had a problem, but know some do...
4. I do not concentrate on that center shot, but just let it happen when in multiball or doing other things.

#7090 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Lower the autolaunch power.

will give it a go!

Thanks!

#7091 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

1. Powerbladez look better on AfMr, IMO.
2. You just need to keep the ball in the pop bumpers. When you get down to 0, next SOL hit gives you video mode (you can bank a smart bomb to use in the video mode by hitting launch when the Cow is in the beam animation)
3. Never had a problem, but know some do...
4. I do not concentrate on that center shot, but just let it happen when in multiball or doing other things.

I've been struggling to hit the launch button now to get the moo, some other game (will go unsaid) has me trying to hit a damn action button on the lock down bar.....

#7092 11 months ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I've been struggling to hit the launch button now to get the moo, some other game (will go unsaid) has me trying to hit a damn action button on the lock down bar.....

Game specific habits can really suck sometimes. After a long period of concentrating on Iron Maiden almost exclusively I got in the (bad for any other game but IM) habit of plunging for the left outlane on purpose - trying to drain the ball from the get-go. Found myself mindlessly doing it on other games. Really annoying.

#7093 11 months ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Anyone had similar?
Thanks.

From my earlier post, this happened with me as well. I found when the ball hit the wireframe above the launch path, it stopped at the pops. Lower the autolaunch power will help, as it lowers the ball velocity off the launch ramp, so less chance of hitting the wireframe above, thus goes all the way around. To help you troubleshoot, you could hold open the top diverter with string/ziptie, then see if the same problem exists. If it does, you know's it's autolaunch, etc. we are discussing here. If the ball goes thorough 100% of time, then you know it's in the diverter/left flipper. Good Luck.

#7094 11 months ago
EB54B5DC-F25B-42BA-9576-B0528CC024AD (resized).jpeg
#7095 11 months ago
Quoted from Kredmore:

From my earlier post, this happened with me as well. I found when the ball hit the wireframe above the launch path, it stopped at the pops. Lower the autolaunch power will help, as it lowers the ball velocity off the launch ramp, so less chance of hitting the wireframe above, thus goes all the way around. To help you troubleshoot, you could hold open the top diverter with string/ziptie, then see if the same problem exists. If it does, you know's it's autolaunch, etc. we are discussing here. If the ball goes thorough 100% of time, then you know it's in the diverter/left flipper. Good Luck.

Thanks! Will test.

#7096 11 months ago
Quoted from dugmar:

[quoted image]

I f'n love that.

#7099 11 months ago

So a friend of mine just bought an AFMr-LE sight unseen, it was kind of a strange deal (pin was sold and flipped twice in a week, seller claimed he bought a AFMr Standard and that was his reason for selling so quick) but the guy he bought it from threw out some big names for references and swore the game was mint with less than 100 plays. The seller threw some tactics at him that I will not get into here, but I can tell you it was kind of crazy. He didn't want to post but agreed to let me post this up to get people's opinion on the playfield and how to move forward.

The game arrived and this is what the playfield looks like, look at the inserts and playfield :
IMG_2090 (resized).jpgIMG_2091 (resized).jpgIMG_2094 (resized).jpg

#7100 11 months ago
Quoted from Cobray:

The game arrived and this is what the playfield looks like, look at the inserts and playfield :

That PF should have never made it through QC. The problem now is CGC only warranties the game for the original owner. I'd still try reaching out to CGC and see what they say.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
There are 8557 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 172.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside