pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 139 of 212.
#6901 4 years ago
Quoted from homegameroom:

The worst part is often getting the old one out. I'll look for my chip puller tonight...... even that can be difficult for the larger ICs.

No need for the chip puller, the PIC 2.0 comes with a chip puller. Pulling out the old chip with the supplied chip puller is pretty easy. Aligning 2.0 is a bit more tricky - I was one of those people that broke the leg and had to order another 2.0 chip. Don't rush it like I did and you should be a ok.

#6902 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Wall power variations affect it a bit, so 90-95% seems about right

I though the big capacitors in the back of the game where supposed to make that a non-issue?

#6903 4 years ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

No need for the chip puller, the PIC 2.0 comes with a chip puller. Pulling out the old chip with the supplied chip puller is pretty easy. Aligning 2.0 is a bit more tricky - I was one of those people that broke the leg and had to order another 2.0 chip. Don't rush it like I did and you should be a ok.

also just make sure you have just the chip and not the chip socket! Get plenty of light shined at the board.

#6904 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Could be a pop bumper set s little close or a sling reacting to the shaker motor.
Maybe some other switch set a little close.

Thanks.

I’ll try to run some diagnostics and figure it out.

Also, the right side of the glass/game has some noticeable vibration from the shaker.

Is this happening to anyone else specifically?

#6905 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Thanks.
Also, the right side of the glass/game has some noticeable vibration from the shaker.

Turn shaker down a little.

#6906 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I though the big capacitors in the back of the game where supposed to make that a non-issue?

One would think that, but it still has unregulated power to the high voltage section.

I really like the API buck/boost supply they put in Houdini. It solved tons of issues in my game as I have terribly unstable power.

Right now Houdini suffers the least when my power jumps up and down during a game.

#6907 4 years ago

This game has taught me something:

Man, I suck at pinball.

Thanks for listening.

#6908 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Man, I suck at pinball.
Thanks for listening.

I know the feeling man! Don't feel bad about closing your outlanes as much as possible. You can bring the front leg levelers up a tad too. It is your game. Don't be afraid to tweak things!

#6909 4 years ago

My 2.0 PIC chip arrived today (along with a new right wire ramp- the welds broke in 3 places) so now my topper works perfectly and my flippers are now adjustable (I was getting a LOT of air balls). Off to Rule the Universe!!!

#6910 4 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

I know the feeling man! Don't feel bad about closing your outlanes as much as possible. You can bring the front leg levelers up a tad too. It is your game. Don't be afraid to tweak things!

Haha, yeah I already closed the outlanes a bunch, but not all the way. I may be moving them all the way, soon.

This game is awesome, though. It's killing me, but in a fun way, and I just want to keep playing it.

It really is pinball perfection.

#6911 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Man, I suck at pinball.
Thanks for listening.

Hard games make you a better player. Saw IM and TNA on your wishlist. Those are much easier than AFM.

#6912 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

the right side of the glass/game has some noticeable vibration from the shaker.

Shakers make things shake.

Quoted from Fizz:

Man, I suck at pinball.

I suck at pinball too.

#6913 4 years ago

This game is pure FUN!

Played this for several hours today and my friends had a BLAST!

It is sucha good game!

The first time I can can Rule The Universe is going to be epic, but I'm just not quite there yet!

#6914 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Thanks.

Helps with glass rattle.
https://pinballpro.net/shop/anti-rattle-tape-ar-1/

#6915 4 years ago

I bought this per the recommendation of another Pinsider. I cut two strips the length of the glass in half, ~3/8", and wrapped it along the bottom/side of the glass where it sits in the channel. Zero rattle and the glass slides in and out easily. It takes slightly more work but it's a far better value than any "specialty" product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDRRNE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

#6916 4 years ago
Quoted from ctviss:

I bought this per the recommendation of another Pinsider. I cut two strips the length of the glass in half, ~3/8", and wrapped it along the bottom/side of the glass where it sits in the channel. Zero rattle and the glass slides in and out easily. It takes slightly more work but it's a far better value than any "specialty" product.
amazon.com link »

For the most part, a little electrical tape, wrapped top bottom and side, in the upper corners on the glass (under the guides so you cant see it) works well.

Most of the time it doesnt have to go the whole length of the glass.

Just in a couple areas to firm it up.

#6917 4 years ago
Quoted from ctviss:

amazon.com link »

Perfect! I’ll get this right away! I already tried to get something similar before, but I messed up.

What I ordered was double adhesive and the foam was in the middle.

Oops!

Yea.. it makes perfect sense that any vibration could cause the glass to move if not snug. Didn’t really think of that.

The rattling wasn’t happening last night, but I think that’s just because the volume was a bit lower.

#6918 4 years ago

Question:

The ball replacement guide. Is that only needed if I can "never" make the pop bumpers/super skill shot?
I can sometimes...

I think since I Have the new chip I'm just going to lower the coil on the plunger first and see if that does it.

I MAY not actually need this.

Don't know yet!

#6919 4 years ago

The ball, when launched from the shooter lane, should reach the pops or orbit around, if left button is held, 100% of the time.

I've put around 400 games on mine and it has never failed to do this.

#6920 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

The ball, when launched from the shooter lane, should reach the pops or orbit around, if left button is held, 100% of the time.
I've put around 400 games on mine and it has never failed to do this.

Right.

So let me reduce the coil and see if I can achieve 100%.

#6921 4 years ago

How do you stop side rail rattle? My AFMr right rail rattles like crazy at certain times while playing the game. It will stop if you put your hand on the right spot.

#6922 4 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

How do you stop side rail rattle? My AFMr right rail rattles like crazy at certain times while playing the game. It will stop if you put your hand on the right spot.

I asked the other day actually.

You could...turn down the shaker motor or reduce the volume...but that's not fun right?

Try getting some of this and applying underneath the glass. This will help better seal the glass and it won't have as much play to rattle:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDRRNE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

#6923 4 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

How do you stop side rail rattle?

If you have some standard size electrical tape lying around try wrapping the left and right edges of the glass. That usually does the trick for me.

#6925 4 years ago

Looks cool, but yeah, that price.

Speaking of saucer mods anyone seen something to light the saucers on the classic edition yet? I see Bill Ung has a 'notify' list for something, but not much more advertised on his site for that.

#6926 4 years ago

Hey guys,

Wanted to mention this just once more to feel better about it.

The VUK struggles to get the ball up maybe 40-60% of the time. Has anyone else experienced this and was just a matter of increasing the coil strength OR is it possible that I have an imperfection with my VUK as far as the shaping or something.

Thanks!

#6927 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

The VUK struggles to get the ball up maybe 40-60% of the time.

Could be a few things, not always increasing coil strength.

LTG : )

#6928 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Could be a few things, not always increasing coil strength.

Good enough.

I assume it’s a fairly common problem.

Would you say increasing coil strength is a good first step?

#6929 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Hey guys,
Wanted to mention this just once more to feel better about
it.
The VUK struggles to get the ball up maybe 40-60% of the time.
Has anyone else experienced this and was just a matter of
increasing the coil strength OR is it possible that I have an
imperfection with my VUK as far as the shaping or something.
Thanks!

its the bane of my life.

#6930 4 years ago

Been playing my new SE for a little while, only issue I have been having is the ball is getting caught on the ball gate when launching the ball instead of making it all the way around while holding the left flipper during ball launch. Has anyone else had the issue? I did a search on "ball gate" and didn't get any results. It is almost like it isn't going up high enough.

#6931 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Been playing my new SE for a little while, only issue I have
been having is the ball is getting caught on the ball gate when
launching the ball instead of making it all the way around while
holding the left flipper during ball launch. Has anyone else had
the issue? I did a search on "ball gate" and didn't get any
results. It is almost like it isn't going up high enough.

I have the same issue. I have the replacment ball guide that CGC will send out to you if you open a Support ticket with them.
I'm going to reduce the coil strength on the plunger and see if it resolves first before I work on this replacement.

#6932 4 years ago

Hmm... come to think of it, my VUK was scratched up on arrival.

Didn't think much of it, but I wasn't happy about it.

I'll have some results soon after properly leveling and adjusting coil strength.

#6933 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

The VUK struggles to get the ball up maybe 40-60% of the time. Has anyone else experienced this and was just a matter of increasing the coil strength OR is it possible that I have an imperfection with my VUK as far as the shaping or something.

I had this very same problem, increasing coil strength did not work, opened a ticket and was sent a video to gently realign the geometry. Easy fix and haven't had an issue since. Below is the link CGC sent, see if it works for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjnidctcncvd7zw/2017-12-28%2009.32.42.mov?dl=0

#6934 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCoug:

I had this very same problem, increasing coil strength did not work, opened a ticket and was sent a video to gently realign the geometry. Easy fix and haven't had an issue since. Below is the link CGC sent, see if it works for you.

Good deal!

#6935 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I have the same issue. I have the replacment ball guide that CGC
will send out to you if you open a Support ticket with them.
I'm going to reduce the coil strength on the plunger and see
if it resolves first before I work on this replacement.

not sure if it is the same problem you are having, my ball gate will actually pinch the ball and I have to remove the glass to get it unstuck. If it didn't get caught in the gate it would make it around just fine.

#6936 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCoug:

Thank you for this! Been having the same issue on my SE and it is the only thing preventing the table from being perfect

#6937 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Thank you for this! Been having the same issue on my SE and it is the only thing preventing the table from being perfect

Awesome!

Please let us know if the suggestion makes it perfect for you.

#6938 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

not sure if it is the same problem you are having, my ball gate will actually pinch the ball and I have to remove the glass to get it unstuck. If it didn't get caught in the gate it would make it around just fine.

No, nothing like that. The ball never gets stuck.

#6939 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

If it didn't get caught in the gate it would make it around just fine.

Bracket the gate is on. Gently bend the bracket up a tiny bit.

#6940 4 years ago

Seems the hot remake is the LE version, as expected! I've seen AFM-SE's in the 6K range, Standard in the 5.5K range. And to think that I had a high end restored AFM at one point that was valued (at the time) at $10K-11K. LMAO.

#6941 4 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Seems the hot remake is the LE version, as expected! I've seen AFM-SE's in the 6K range, Standard in the 5.5K range. And to think that I had a high end restored AFM at one point that was valued (at the time) at $10K-11K. LMAO.

Buddy of mine just sold his HUO, low plays AFM-SE for $6k, had it listed for over a month and just couldn't get traction on selling it.

Didn't matter though, he ended up buying a Dark Knight and said he loves the fresh/new gameplay and the fact it changes up "the old" collection.

If I was in the market for an AFM, it would most definitely be the LE.. just a fantastic package.

#6942 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Buddy of mine just sold his HUO, low plays AFM-SE for $6k, had it listed for over a month and just couldn't get traction on selling it.
Didn't matter though, he ended up buying a Dark Knight and said he loves the fresh/new gameplay and the fact it changes up "the old" collection.
If I was in the market for an AFM, it would most definitely be the LE.. just a fantastic package.

Topper alone is worth it

#6943 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Bracket the gate is on. Gently bend the bracket up a tiny bit.

Thanks LTG!

#6944 4 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Topper alone is worth it

Agree completely!! Add in the shaker motor and the larger color screen, at it was a no-brainer for the extra money, IMO.

#6945 4 years ago

Anyone have an issue where, when the mothership/destroy the saucer shot is made, it registers as a locked ball? Probably happens only one in 15 or 20 times but I’m wondering if there’s a small tweak that can be made.

#6946 4 years ago
Quoted from Hop721:

but I’m wondering if there’s a small tweak that can be made.

I'd check that the subway switch under the playfield isn't sticking or the plunger on the left VUK isn't occasionally blocking the optos, sticking up or not going down far enough.

#6947 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check that the subway switch under the playfield isn't sticking or the plunger on the left VUK isn't occasionally blocking the optos, sticking up or not going down far enough.

Will do. Thanks LTG!

#6948 4 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Topper alone is worth it

Agreed, the topper is easily one of the best ever.

#6949 4 years ago

So...here are my leveling efforts ..

It looks "good" and the ball isn't rolling. I REALLY like this test to determine if the playfield is level...after all it's the ball that's rolling in the first place.

Here's my only...quirks with this. I used this digital level and zero'd it, put in the playfield and it reads 6.5. Perfect! Sorta! When I put the level back down it's always reading 0.2 and I tried this multiple times.

This would suggest 6.7 actually and if you look at the bubble on the machine, it's a touch higher than that second line which if it actually has any accuracy, could mean it is in fact 6.7.

Idk... It's "close" or w/e and the playfield being level just seems more important.

Thoughts/Comments on my first efforts?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6950 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

So...here are my leveling efforts ..
It looks "good" and the ball isn't rolling. I REALLY like this test to determine if the playfield is level...after all it's the ball that's rolling in the first place.
Here's my only...quirks with this. I used this digital level and zero'd it, put in the playfield and it reads 6.5. Perfect! Sorta! When I put the level back down it's always reading 0.2 and I tried this multiple times.
This would suggest 6.7 actually and if you look at the bubble on the machine, it's a touch higher than that second line which if it actually has any accuracy, could mean it is in fact 6.7.
Idk... It's "close" or w/e and the playfield being level just seems more important.
Thoughts/Comments on my first efforts?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I would say you may be overdoing it a bit. Does it play well? That's what matters. If its too fast or hard, raise the front. Too slow, lower the front.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 139 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/139 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.