Topic Stats

• 6,408 posts
  • 417 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by pghpinfan
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,099 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C6B3280F-AF9F-4862-A6DE-EA3D33097275 (resized).png
420BA101-CA21-42FE-965C-0B380D5ECB56 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
E7367DE8-9DED-48DD-976F-2D733533B12E (resized).jpeg
80A7184A-8EC8-435C-951A-9D4330E62740 (resized).jpeg
88198D96-9A0D-4A27-90F7-6F427F9D98B2 (resized).jpeg
AFM Left VUK with arrow (resized).jpg
F4EBE96D-D3F4-49B8-A492-0426703346AC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3950 (resized).jpg
IMG_4641 white (resized).jpg
IMG_4638 white (resized).jpg
20190201_200537 (resized).jpg
1D2387EC-7EDC-4B13-AC78-69DB919FA0FB (resized).jpeg
IMG_6798 (resized).jpg
IMG_1398 (resized).JPG
CD0F43FB-069A-4983-B9C9-1BA666B84A64 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 6408 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 129.
#601 1 year ago

So reading through the thread, some seem to pull out the SOL OEM protector and put in the Cliffy version, and some do both.
Is there any real reason to do both as the cliffy looks sufficient?

Also, does anyone else have major rattle from the subwoofer in this game? From best I can tell it's the glass in the channels being too loose but even after adjusting the lockbar screws it's still really bad. I guess I could try to use tape on the edges but it's driving me nuts.

#602 1 year ago
Quoted from DavidMP:

OK, so if someone finds a key in here I'll re-up my donation to pinside! (Ah heck, that's too safe a bet. I'll go do that anyway.)

I don't see a key, but the coin mech on the right is loose and the locking screw is missing.

#603 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Also, does anyone else have major rattle from the subwoofer in this game? From best I can tell it's the glass in the channels being too loose but even after adjusting the lockbar screws it's still really bad. I guess I could try to use tape on the edges but it's driving me nuts.

I did, but 1.5 to 2 turns on the lockdown bar screws took care of it 100%

#604 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I don't see a key, but the coin mech on the right is loose and the locking screw is missing.

Good call on that!
Definitely no keys on the hook...
Maybe the missing thumb screw and keys are stuck to the speaker magnet from shipping?

#605 1 year ago
Quoted from markp99:

I did, but 1.5 to 2 turns on the lockdown bar screws took care of it 100%

Tighten or loosen? Having same issue.

#606 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Green lock bar.

Hmmmm... Definitely looks a lot smoother than mine. I'll open up a ticket. In the interim, I have some martians to take out!

#607 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

Tighten or loosen? Having same issue.

Tighten (for me, at least).

#608 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Thanks for the catch! I've been so busy looking for a key, I didn't even see that. But I did find the locking screw in the cabinet earlier and I did check the speaker magnet. But I hadn't looked to see where the screw went yet.

#609 1 year ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Tighten (for me, at least).

Tightened for me too! Glass also no longer slips out on its own so easily, but not a tight fit.

#610 1 year ago

I was able to help the rattling a bit by putting some weather strip nubs in the upper glass channel plastic by the backbox.

I also cut two small t molding pieces and put them in the bottom routed wood to act as supports to keep the glass pressed in the side channels more secure.

From there its tweaking the two lockbar screws.

If the glass was a bit wider it would be a non issue.

20170908_180622 (resized).jpg

20170908_180631 (resized).jpg

20170908_180644 (resized).jpg

#611 1 year ago

I think its simpler the just add additional foam weatherstrip to the lockdown bar and clamp the glass down better in case of rattle.

#612 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think its simpler the just add additional foam weatherstrip to the lockdown bar and clamp the glass down better in case of rattle.

Yeah, I tried that first believe me. It didnt help at all.

#613 1 year ago

Im getting some random firing of the diverter when the slings are fully engaged during a game.
Maybe the switch is set too close in the diverter?

Ill try pounding on the PF during a game to see if I can replicate the behavior.
I hope its not a short...

#614 1 year ago

Im getting some random firing of the diverter when the slings are fully engaged during a game.
Maybe the switch is set too close in the diverter?
Ill try pounding on the PF during a game to see if I can replicate the behavior.
I hope its not a short...

Dont believe there is a switch in the diverter? Sld be computer controlled i believe?

#615 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Dont believe there is a switch in the diverter? Sld be computer controlled i believe?

Might just be a loose connector then. I think Ill get into it and start reseating connectors.
I think its under the PF, but you never know, it could just be a loose connection in the backbox.
It looks like its vibration related as it only does it when the slings are both going in full swing.

Thinking along those lines, I believe it only pulses when a ball is locked, and only when the slings fire.
Probably just a loose connection/bad crimp/cold joint on the diverter coil that loses power after being actuated.

It acts kinda like when a pop bumper is set too close and you pound the PF and they fire.

I had a similar problem on WOZ that we called the "Ghost of Dorothy".
When the pops would fire you would hear dorothy saying a single word over and over in the background.

It happend to be the first standup target above the state fair balloon was bent slightly and set too close (they take a lot of abuse). So vibration would make dorothy come alive during a game and talk.

I really liked the idea that Dorothy was dead and buried in the haunted forest! But my wife said it was annoying.

#616 1 year ago

Possibly a dumb question but if I want to turn my flipper strength down do I go minus or plus.. I know sometimes these things or the opposite of what you would think.

#617 1 year ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Possibly a dumb question but if I want to turn my flipper strength down do I go minus or plus.. I know sometimes these things or the opposite of what you would think.

Minus.

#618 1 year ago

I finally closed the outlanes a bit.
I felt that the 67 second ball times were too rough on the crowd that plays my pins.
I also raised the pitch to 7 degrees with the flippers at +1. Some games were a bit floaty at 6.7 degrees.

I really liked the way the outlane adjustment is completely variable and not locked into 3 holes, so I can get it just exactly right.

Ball times are up a little but outlanes are still brutal enough that nudging is required to have a great game.
I still have my flippers set to the factory setting of slightly drooped. It throws everyone off a bit as far as aim but I think its really fun.

#619 1 year ago

Man this game is fun, I cant stop playing.

Im already seeing dimples all over the place but not surprised given the airballs you can get from the mothership area.

After adjusting everything ive settled on
7.2 pitch
-3 flipper strength
Min for slings

And the game feels perfect. I can still backhand ramps and orbits fine, and there is still the occasional wild airball, but its a much more controlled game now.

#620 1 year ago

My 15 year old son, who really could care less about pinball over the years, actually plays this game with me. Not just a couple of games either, but a dozen or more each time we play. It's really cool seeing him get excited over playing well and pissed when his game goes south. For that reason alone makes AFMR LE rock in my book.

#621 1 year ago

FYI Cliffys drainhole protector fits on AFMr, the drain hole on This game can take a beating.

IMG_9646 (resized).JPG

IMG_9649 (resized).JPG

#622 1 year ago

FYI Cliffys drainhole protector fits on AFMr, the drain hole on This game can take a beating.

Did you have to take anything off to install it?

I'm about to order a set of Cliffy's for the game, but haven't found a lot of details on the install of the drain and shooter lane protectors.

The protectors under the ship have some instructions on his site, but they're kind of crappy.

#623 1 year ago

the drain protector just slips on after you undo the trough a bit. the shooter lane you have to take a few items off mainly the apron, a few post and undo the trough. They are both really easy though, funny I just put mine on a couple hours ago.

#624 1 year ago

Ok, so I finally got around to aligning my flippers to remove the droop that was noticeable from the factory and ... WOW! what a huge difference this small adjustment made to the way the game plays, my first game after making the adjustment was 30B! Unfortunately, this also changed the timing needed to make consecutive rams and orbits needed to score the 5-Way Combo, and with three balls remaining, I was unable to complete this and it's needed to start RTU I may have just choked under pressure

If you have never adjusted a flipper before, all you have to do is loosen the 3/8" nut that secures the flipper paddle around 3/4 turn, align the flipper to be in a straight line with ball guide, and tighten it back up. You will want to make sure you retain the proper gap (vertical play) by feel or with the blue alignment tool; this tool is actually clear with blue translucent protective tape covering it, feel free to remove the tape

#625 1 year ago

Nice. Maybe I'll take a look at this today.

#626 1 year ago
Quoted from markp99:

Nice. Maybe I'll take a look at this today.

Done. One thing I noticed, my left flipper assy seems to be 1-2 mm forward of the right flipper.

I left it as-is for now. With the way I play I doubt the small difference will make any difference.

#627 1 year ago

So Chicago Gaming sent me the wrong color LE and I'm in the middle of replacing everything black with green. My question is how hard is it to replace the side rails? I've got the legs and lockdown bar swapped out no problem but am having a bit of a time with the rails. They seem to use an adhesive in the middle and I'm nervous that putting too much pressure will either bend the metal or scratch the game. Any help?

#628 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Ok, so I finally got around to aligning my flippers to remove the droop that was noticeable from the factory and ... WOW! what a huge difference this small adjustment made to the way the game plays, my first game after making the adjustment was 30B! Unfortunately, this also changed the timing needed to make consecutive rams and orbits needed to score the 5-Way Combo, and with three balls remaining, I was unable to complete this and it's needed to start RTU I may have just choked under pressure
If you have never adjusted a flipper before, all you have to do is loosen the 3/8" nut that secures the flipper paddle around 3/4 turn, align the flipper to be in a straight line with ball guide, and tighten it back up. You will want to make sure you retain the proper gap (vertical play) by feel or with the blue alignment tool; this tool is actually clear with blue translucent protective tape covering it, feel free to remove the tape

Another great tip! I hadn't even really noticed the droop, and I admit, it was a bit daunting doing the adjustment for the first time. Like most "just do it" experiences, though, the learning was enough to overcome the scary, and now I feel like I'm going to be messing with it quite a lot, 'cause I'm sure I'll be looking super closely all the time to see if they're even a fraction of a degree apart from each other.

It's a great improvement!

#629 1 year ago

AFMr - Drooping Drop Bank

Not a big deal, but the drooping drop bank on my new AFMr tweaks my OCD compulsion. It's leaning to the right...and it makes me crazy

The assembly has a good degree of slop allowing for this alignment issue; I can easily rock the assy left and right. There does not appear to be any stop or adjustment screws to improve this condition.

Any suggestions to address or minimize?

My OCD brain thanks you in advance.

9-11-2017 10-12-31 AM.png

#630 1 year ago

True OCD is CDO to put the letters in their proper order.

#631 1 year ago
Quoted from markp99:

Not a big deal, but the drooping drop bank on my new AFMr tweaks my OCD compulsion. It's leaning to the right...and it makes me crazy
The assembly has a good degree of slop allowing for this alignment issue; I can easily rock the assy left and right. There does not appear to be any stop or adjustment screws to improve this condition.

If you figure something out, please let me know!

On a related topic, my drop bank stopped dropping. During normal play, it would register hits, but never drop.

It failed the startup test, as well as the motor test (test 19).

Motor test failing
Startup test report

I lifted the playfield and wiggled some stuff, and got it back for a while. Sadly it was only a temporary solution. Since I've got a fancy new warranty, I figured I'd open a ticket, not expecting that I would get a response before Monday morning. Whatever they're paying LTG, it isn't enough. On a Sunday night, I got a response back about 10 minutes after submitting the ticket, suggesting I completely re-seat the connector for the down switch:

It's the lower connector in this picture:
2017-09-10 19.35.09 (resized).jpg

One of the crimp connections to one of the sockets felt a bit loose compared to the other ones, but a full disconnect-and-reconnect seemed to do the trick.

If it happens again, I'll replace that crimp connection.

2017-09-10 19.37.07 (resized).jpg

As always, a big "Thank You!" to Lloyd!

#632 1 year ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

As always, a big "Thank You!" to Lloyd!

Lloyd = The Man!

#633 1 year ago
Quoted from markp99:

Isn't his corrected by the two screws on the bottom bracket of the drop target? I know mine was leaning one direction and when I installed the cliffys and put everything back together and levelled those two screws for when it drops down... it was no longer crooked.

#634 1 year ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

Isn't his corrected by the two screws on the bottom bracket of the drop target? I know mine was leaning one direction and when I installed the cliffys and put everything back together and levelled those two screws for when it drops down... it was no longer crooked.

This bank is not same as aligning a single drop target. There are no alignment or stop screws, at least as I can see... Would be happy to be wrong on this.

#635 1 year ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Another great tip! I hadn't even really noticed the droop, and I admit, it was a bit daunting doing the adjustment for the first time. Like most "just do it" experiences, though, the learning was enough to overcome the scary, and now I feel like I'm going to be messing with it quite a lot, 'cause I'm sure I'll be looking super closely all the time to see if they're even a fraction of a degree apart from each other.
It's a great improvement!

I'd like to see a pic on where you guys have these aligned - Mine seem to be aligned with the guides but now I'm not sure.

I'll also second the drop bank "droop" it drives my wife crazy!

I'm hoping at some point the LEDs for the mini saucers become available for purchase, I see the holes for them so I'm guessing they will?

#636 1 year ago

Aren't these the adjustment screws?

Drop Target alignment (resized).jpg

#637 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Yes.

LTG : )

#638 1 year ago

Umm yes, those are adjustment screws, but ONLY affect the height/level of the drop bank when in the DOWN position.

My complaint is the drop bank droops to the right when in the UP position. There are no adjustment screws in that position.

#639 1 year ago

I propped up the playfield again just now. I think a simple solution might be to add a small piece of sticky-back foam to the inside of the moving part of the drop bank assy (the surface on the opposite side the red arrow is pointing to, below).

A section 1/4 in thick x 1/2 in long seems like it might suffice. This foam section would limit the travel distance of the left-side of the drop bank (i.e., as a soft STOP), keeping good horizontal alignment with the right hand side of the assy. When you rock the assy left and right from underneath, you can see exactly where the foam might help secure and level the assy.

I don't have any soft foam like this in my workshop. I'll poke around the home store tomorrow to see if I can find anything remotely usable here...

9-11-2017 5-45-52 PM (resized).png

#640 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I'd like to see a pic on where you guys have these aligned - Mine seem to be aligned with the guides but now I'm not sure.
I'll also second the drop bank "droop" it drives my wife crazy!
I'm hoping at some point the LEDs for the mini saucers become available for purchase, I see the holes for them so I'm guessing they will?

I just sent an email to Doug inquiring about the possibility of upgrading the mini saucers on the SE in the future. I would buy an SE right now if that is going to happen. I could care less about the topper..... even the paint.

#641 1 year ago
Quoted from Budman:

I just sent an email to Doug inquiring about the possibility of upgrading the mini saucers on the SE in the future. I would buy an SE right now if that is going to happen. I could care less about the topper..... even the paint.

This will be good to know for the future. If they release LE only features as addons to the SE, I will most likely choose the SE next time. The topper is cool, but the mini saucer upgrade was the deciding factor to go with the LE.

#642 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I would hold off on doing anything drastic trying to correct the drooping. As i said i too had the target bank drooping to one side. but once i adjusted those screws to make the bank level with the playfield after installing the cliffys.... the droop was gone. I now wish i knew what the solution was to fixing the droop.... my only thought process is once i played with the leveling screws once the target hits the bottom the traget corrected itself... i dunno try that first before you start manufacturing and altering things.

#643 1 year ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

I would hold off on doing anything drastic trying to correct the drooping. As i said i too had the target bank drooping to one side. but once i adjusted those screws to make the bank level with the playfield after installing the cliffys.... the droop was gone. I now wish i knew what the solution was to fixing the droop.... my only thought process is once i played with the leveling screws once the target hits the bottom the traget corrected itself... i dunno try that first before you start manufacturing and altering things.

This info should be around. I have seen plenty of original AFMs with the target bank drooping to one side. I don't think this is a new issue.

#644 1 year ago

Noticing already, with about 100 plays on the game, that there is very noticeable chipping around the edges of the lock hole. Is there any sort of protector available for this? Pretty disappointing to have them put a protector on the SOL hole, and not one here. I personally think for the prices we're paying, all companies should be putting these on games nowadays.

#645 1 year ago

Where did you find this protector? I don't see it listed on his site...

#646 1 year ago

Might just be a loose connector then. I think Ill get into it and start reseating connectors.
I think its under the PF, but you never know, it could just be a loose connection in the backbox.
It looks like its vibration related as it only does it when the slings are both going in full swing.
Thinking along those lines, I believe it only pulses when a ball is locked, and only when the slings fire.
Probably just a loose connection/bad crimp/cold joint on the diverter coil that loses power after being actuated.
It acts kinda like when a pop bumper is set too close and you pound the PF and they fire.
I had a similar problem on WOZ that we called the "Ghost of Dorothy".
When the pops would fire you would hear dorothy saying a single word over and over in the background.
It happend to be the first standup target above the state fair balloon was bent slightly and set too close (they take a lot of abuse). So vibration would make dorothy come alive during a game and talk.
I really liked the idea that Dorothy was dead and buried in the haunted forest! But my wife said it was annoying.

Refreshing connectors did the trick.

#647 1 year ago

[Fixed] AFMr - Drooping Drop Bank

As expected, I found a simple fix for the drooping drop bank on my AFMr.

1. I bought a 17ft roll of Frost King Vinyl Foam (3/8in wide x 3/16in thick) - $1.98
(Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-17-ft-Grey-Vinyl-Foam-Window-Weatherstrip/3223867 )

2. Cut a 1in length of foam

3. Attached (via sticky tape) to the inside of the drop bank assy (sticky side facing UP in the image below)

4. Left 1/4in of the 1in length protruding - seems to provide a bit more leverage than when mounted flush with the edge.

5. Result - when the Assy lifts into the UP position, the foam tape provides a little resistance on the left-hand side, resulting in a more horizontal position left-to-right. Only concern is the 1.4"in exposed section is sticky and will collect crap over time.

So, Nice and level. /OCD bliss

9-13-2017 6-00-25 PM (resized).png
9-13-2017 6-02-12 PM (resized).png
9-13-2017 6-04-38 PM (resized).png

#648 1 year ago

Spoke to Cliff, and he said his protector set from the original game cane with a protector for the drain hole behind the ship. Can anyone confirm that this would work for the remake?

#649 1 year ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

Where did you find this protector? I don't see it listed on his site...

Email Cliff and let him know what you need, not all of his stuff is listed on his website.

#650 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

Spoke to Cliff, and he said his protector set from the original game cane with a protector for the drain hole behind the ship. Can anyone confirm that this would work for the remake?

Yes.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 79.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Buffalo , NY
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
€ 3.70
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PENNSYLVANIA
$ 50.00
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
There are 6408 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 129.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside