pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 212.
#6151 5 years ago

Quick update on the speaker static/buzz issues I was having when changing the backbox light brightness...

I took a look yesterday and found no loose grounding screws or connectors/wires. All the circuitry and solder joints looked intact. I noticed that the backbox speaker wiring was looped around the solenoid cable, but unlooping it and moving it around had no effect on the noise. I even tried plugging the machine into a power conditioner with no luck. Unplugging the speaker connector was the only way to get the noise to go away...

I opened a ticket with CGC last night and got a response this morning that they are sending me a new controller board. I'll have to send the old one back (I was hoping to keep it so I could troubleshoot it). I'll report back on how it works out.

#6152 5 years ago
Quoted from ctviss:

Quick update on the speaker static/buzz issues I was having when changing the backbox light brightness...
I took a look yesterday and found no loose grounding screws or connectors/wires. All the circuitry and solder joints looked intact. I noticed that the backbox speaker wiring was looped around the solenoid cable, but unlooping it and moving it around had no effect on the noise. I even tried plugging the machine into a power conditioner with no luck. Unplugging the speaker connector was the only way to get the noise to go away...
I opened a ticket with CGC last night and got a response this morning that they are sending me a new controller board. I'll have to send the old one back (I was hoping to keep it so I could troubleshoot it). I'll report back on how it works out.

I noticed the same buzz on my CE. Very interested in your outcome. Thanks

#6153 5 years ago

Advice please. I am getting the Eat at Eddies mod and also want to brighten up the playfield . I would also like to light the SOL hole and outhole. Is Comet the best resource ? Is it easy to install? And would Pinstadium drown out that proposed lighting if I purchase that as well?
Thanks!

#6154 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Advice please. I am getting the Eat at Eddies mod and also want to brighten up the playfield . I would also like to light the SOL hole and outhole. Is Comet the best resource ? Is it easy to install? And would Pinstadium drown out that proposed lighting if I purchase that as well?
Thanks!

there are no sockets to hook mods to in the AFMr games only light boards so everything is molex connections of some sort. we offer a combo backboard and trough light setup. You can choose what colors you want to order. here is a pic of my game.

pf (resized).JPGpf (resized).JPG
#6155 5 years ago

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but I'm curious. Has anybody found a way to change the sound schemes on this game? I figure about the only thing this game is missing is a few "acks" lifted from the Mars Attacks movie along with a couple Slim Whitman "howls".

#6156 5 years ago

How do I keep blowing up the saucer with "Dirty Pool"? I keep dropping it in the multi ball lock an it seems the ship will sometimes randomly explode when I do this and I cannot figure out why. Loving the game! Still haven't gotten to Mars but I've gotten all the other jewels lit.

#6157 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

How do I keep blowing up the saucer with "Dirty Pool"? I keep dropping it in the multi ball lock an it seems the ship will sometimes randomly explode when I do this and I cannot figure out why. Loving the game! Still haven't gotten to Mars but I've gotten all the other jewels lit.

Check the switch under the playfield at the subway.
It's set a little close.
Just twist it a little to make it less sensitivel. Loosen the screws if you need to.

#6158 5 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

I noticed the same buzz on my CE. Very interested in your outcome. Thanks

I got the replacement controller board and plugged it in, but the problem is much worse. At the default MAX brightness, where before I had only minor static (which is likely normal), I now have very loud static and buzzing. This gets progressively worse as I decrease the brightness, and there is still no difference between the MAX and -1 settings. The new board is unusable; I'm certainly not going to send my original board back if there's any chance I won't get it back.

I noticed that the code revision on the new controller is 1.0.1, with a build date of Oct. 2018. The 3.3V regulator (U8) is also different (but I think they're the same device, just different vendors - I haven't compared the two datasheets):

Original - Burr Brown 11174
New - ST Micro LD33

For now, I put my original board back in and I'm going to respond to CGC and send the new board back. I'm trying to get a video of what's happening.

If anyone else has time, it would be great if you could try to reproduce this problem just so we can see if it's widespread. All you need to do is adjust the Backbox Brightness setting and see if you get buzzing or static from your speakers as it decreases, and whether there's a difference in brightness between the MAX and -1 settings. The latter would indicate to me that there's a software bug, but the former would be a circuitry issue that could probably be solved with some capacitance or lowering of the amplifier gain somewhere.

#6159 5 years ago
Quoted from ctviss:

I got the replacement controller board and plugged it in, but the problem is much worse. At the default MAX brightness, where before I had only minor static (which is likely normal), I now have very loud static and buzzing. This gets progressively worse as I decrease the brightness, and there is still no difference between the MAX and -1 settings. The new board is unusable; I'm certainly not going to send my original board back if there's any chance I won't get it back.
I noticed that the code revision on the new controller is 1.0.1, with a build date of Oct. 2018. The 3.3V regulator (U8) is also different (but I think they're the same device, just different vendors - I haven't compared the two datasheets):
Original - Burr Brown 11174
New - ST Micro LD33
For now, I put my original board back in and I'm going to respond to CGC and send the new board back. I'm trying to get a video of what's happening.
If anyone else has time, it would be great if you could try to reproduce this problem just so we can see if it's widespread. All you need to do is adjust the Backbox Brightness setting and see if you get buzzing or static from your speakers as it decreases, and whether there's a difference in brightness between the MAX and -1 settings. The latter would indicate to me that there's a software bug, but the former would be a circuitry issue that could probably be solved with some capacitance or lowering of the amplifier gain somewhere.

Have you tried a ground loop isolator on the speakers?

Is that posdible?

#6160 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Have you tried a ground loop isolator on the speakers?
Is that posdible?

It should be possible. I think I'd have to DIY something as none of the ones I saw really accept anything other than a 3.5mm plug; I'll see what sort of stuff I can grab at work.

I had a couple of other ideas that I'd like to try, but I'll wait until CGC responds; I'm sure they'll come up with a solution.

The nice thing about electronics is there's always more than one way to skin a cat - it just depends on how complicated you want to make it.

EDIT: I was searching for problems like this and one that came up is for Monopoly. The problem there was that the amplifier gain was way too high, and was amplifying and passing noise within the circuitry. You won't notice this in an arcade or bar, but at home you will. All that's needed is to turn the gain down, but obviously the circuit used on that game is different than the one in this one. I think this was also addressed with Stern Service Bulletin #133.

http://thepaisleys.azurewebsites.net/paisleypinball/monopoly/eliminate_backbox_hum_and_buzz.htm

The AFMr uses the TI TPA3116 amplifier. Its gain is set with R39 and R38 - 20k and 100k, respectively. Looking at the datasheet, the gain is set to 26dB, with the lowest possible gain being 20dB. Lowering it would be as simple as removing R38 and changing R39 to 5.6k. I'll dig through the datasheet more tomorrow and see if I can learn more about the design.

#6161 5 years ago

CGC replied and said that this is a known issue that is inherent to the design, and is due to the way the backbox lights are dimmed. They said there would be no fix or update to address it, and they recommend keeping the brightness at MAX.

I don't really mind it, but I think I'm still going to poke around and see if I can do anything. I'll keep you guys updated if anything works.

#6162 5 years ago
Quoted from ctviss:

CGC replied and said that this is a known issue that is inherent to the design, and is due to the way the backbox lights are dimmed. They said there would be no fix or update to address it, and they recommend keeping the brightness at MAX.
I don't really mind it, but I think I'm still going to poke around and see if I can do anything. I'll keep you guys updated if anything works.

That’s not cool, wish they would help you solve the problem. I have a AFMrLE and would love a MBrLE next to it but now this gives me something to factor in. I hope you find a fix good luck.

#6163 5 years ago

Can the strobe light multiball be turned off on AFMr? A bit too much for me. Thanks.

#6164 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Can the strobe light multiball be turned off on AFMr?

No.

LTG : )

#6165 5 years ago

That sucks... Any options to weaken the effect or make it harder to start or anything?

#6166 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

make it harder to start

A2.08 in Williams feature adjustments.

#6167 5 years ago

The Powerblades illuminating during strobe multiball is an amazing effect. Really enhanced the game for me.

#6168 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Can the strobe light multiball be turned off on AFMr? A bit too much for me. Thanks.

Tape a piece of opaque material over the LED board - or otherwise turn it all the way to low - it’s a little much but still fun

#6169 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That sucks... Any options to weaken the effect or make it harder to start or anything?

Turn it on low, ok.
It's a strobe light after all.
As long as you dont get seizures from it.

On high setting? You crazy...lol

#6170 5 years ago

you can turn down the strobe brightness in the CGC menu. but its epic when it starts.

#6171 5 years ago

had two issues recently:

Anyone have a problem with the drop target not coming back up? If I reset it manually it comes up for a bit then after a while it doesn't come back up again? anyone seen this?

on the right ramp - when the ball comes out of the wireform - its sometimes got a bounce that takes it randolmly in different directions - including the outlane ? anyone seen this?

#6172 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Anyone have a problem with the drop target not coming back up? If I reset it manually it comes up for a bit then after a while it doesn't come back up again? anyone seen this?

Be sure the switches under there are working, haven't come loose or anything.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

on the right ramp - when the ball comes out of the wireform - its sometimes got a bounce that takes it randolmly in different directions - including the outlane ? anyone seen this?

Lower flipper strength, or figure some washers or something to raise it up a little on the side back there.

#6173 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Be sure the switches under there are working, haven't come loose or anything.

Lower flipper strength, or figure some washers or something to raise it up a little on the side back there.

ah good point - you just reminded me that the game has just been waxed.

#6174 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

had two issues recently:

I had this issue, but rather more permanently,.. turned out one of the wires for the switch fractured clean off (eventually).. so I would chk both the wires are firm as well,.. my distributor sorted it all out as I am crap at soldering

#6175 5 years ago

Post is off center. Once you see it, you can't unsee it =( I'm fairly certain it is drilled straight through with no room for adjustment. Left side post is dead center and inline with the black painted circle.

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg
#6176 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

That happened a few times to me until I turned the flipper strength down, as LTG recommended. -4 seems to be pretty good for my setup.

#6177 5 years ago
Quoted from JoshPA:

Post is off center. Once you see it, you can't unsee it =( I'm fairly certain it is drilled straight through with no room for adjustment. Left side post is dead center and inline with the black painted circle.
[quoted image]

Looks like all of your printing is to the right. It doesn’t line up with the holes.

#6178 5 years ago

Well the good news is the printing isn't off. The bad news is the holes on the entire right side seem to be off. Left looks good, right is off. Will take picture of the upper playfield as I make my way up there.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg
#6179 5 years ago

Just noticed that my start button stops blinking after a while . Is this a setting ? As soon as I start a new game it goes back to normal .

#6180 5 years ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Just noticed that my start button stops blinking after a while . Is this a setting ? As soon as I start a new game it goes back to normal .

this is normal

#6181 5 years ago
Quoted from JoshPA:

Well the good news is the printing isn't off. The bad news is the holes on the entire right side seem to be off. Left looks good, right is off. Will take picture of the upper playfield as I make my way up there.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your playfield looks completely normal, the holes are good and in good positions. They look exactly like mine.
The artwork always is kinda random.
Pinball artwork never exactly matches the cutouts.
This is normal.

#6182 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Your playfield looks completely normal, the holes are good and in good positions. They look exactly like mine.
The artwork always is kinda random.
Pinball artwork never exactly matches the cutouts.
This is normal.

The geometry of the game is cut by a CNC machine and are precise. Your game is perfect. Art is applied by hand and has registration variation.

#6183 5 years ago

Always variations in the silk screening process but the holes are always precise. Nothing wrong with that Playfield at all

#6184 5 years ago

switch had moved position wise, moved it back and its looking good. have the say the mainboard of AFMR is a work of art.

#6185 5 years ago

Eddy's in the house. I'm not a big mod guy but this thing looks awesome and was easy to install

20181223_151844 (resized).jpg20181223_151844 (resized).jpg
#6186 5 years ago

drop target fixed thanks LTG.

Neil.

#6187 5 years ago

So this is my first day playing my new AFMrLE. I just finished ruler of the universe (29 Billion) is there anymore wizard modes to this or did I just finish the game? Its beautiful, I love it, but afraid this might be way to easy if you are a decent pinball player right?

#6188 5 years ago

Holy cow......I’ve owned mine for 10 months and haven’t come close. You must be playing with 10 balls!!

#6189 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Holy cow......I’ve owned mine for 10 months and haven’t come close. You must be playing with 10 balls!!

3 balls, default settings haven't touched a thing.

#6190 5 years ago

Fantastic !

#6191 5 years ago

Nice score. Next game try with the glass on.

#6192 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So this is my first day playing my new AFMrLE. I just finished ruler of the universe (29 Billion)

That's a great score. Have you been able to do it multiple times? If so, WOW!

#6193 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So this is my first day playing my new AFMrLE. I just finished ruler of the universe (29 Billion) is there anymore wizard modes to this or did I just finish the game? Its beautiful, I love it, but afraid this might be way to easy if you are a decent pinball player right?

Even great players like Lyman still play AFM and it never gets old. You have amazing skill if you’re able to do that - I’ve never been close.

#6194 5 years ago

Since my younger nephew loves playing our AFMRLE, he gave us this awesome framed artwork for Christmas!

C68ACA0E-B8FD-42B7-9E73-B30481DB115A (resized).jpegC68ACA0E-B8FD-42B7-9E73-B30481DB115A (resized).jpegCF3E80EE-BF2E-4149-8717-27432737A6AD (resized).jpegCF3E80EE-BF2E-4149-8717-27432737A6AD (resized).jpeg
#6195 5 years ago
Quoted from stavio:

Eddy's in the house. I'm not a big mod guy but this thing looks awesome and was easy to install
[quoted image]

Anything to know about installing eat at eddys mod? I have a afmr le. Just follow instructions on mezelmods, or is there something special i have to do?

#6196 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

The game may be too easy for you. I'm an average player at best, and after 15 months of ownership, I have been one shot away from lighting rule the universe. So it's more than challenging for someone of my caliber. I suppose you can try raising the pitch, closing the outlanes, and removing the extra balls.

Added over 5 years ago:

Edit - Should have said open the outlanes

#6197 5 years ago

Finally got my under apron mod installed. Looks great with the Titan glow rubbers.

-Jeff

20181225_134240 (resized).jpg20181225_134240 (resized).jpg
#6198 5 years ago

I have three sets of pingraffix powerbladez remaining if anyone wants a set. Pingraffix is out of stock.

https://lermods.com/products/attack-from-mars-remake-powerbladez-by-pingraffix

Happy holidays!

#6199 5 years ago

I saw somebody posted that they put theirs in a few posts back but this thing looks way better in person than it does on the mezel mods website. Wicked cool mod that I almost didn't buy!

20181225_182718 (resized).jpg20181225_182718 (resized).jpg
#6200 5 years ago

So...is there any way of changing the speaker volume besides the main volume option from the coin door?

In my home game room....AFMr is just loud. I have 0, 1, or 2 as my viable options. On my IMDN, I have 1-6 or so before it starts getting too loud, and on my Dialed In, I have a lot more (1-22 or so). I would love some more volume options besides 3 on AFMr. If I had some way of turning down the volume somewhere else (menu, hardware, etc) then I could get more options when using the main volume.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 210.00
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/124?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.