pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 212.
#5351 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I ended up playing one and man - not to put anyone down as it's a gorgeous machine but that large display and speaker lights (but especially the large display) - something just doesn't seem right.

Good thing they made more than 1 version so everyone could purchase what suits them. I personally went for the LE because of the display and the topper. I love the speaker lights and have them on all my Stern games. People who come over and play AFMRLE are blown away by the graphics. But in the end it's all just based on what's your taste. The game play is still what makes this a top tier game no matter which model you buy. Enjoy your game.

#5352 5 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Good thing they made more than 1 version so everyone could purchase what suits them. I personally went for the LE because of the display and the topper. I love the speaker lights and have them on all my Stern games. People who come over and play AFMRLE are blown away by the graphics. But in the end it's all just based on what's your taste. The game play is still what makes this a top tier game no matter which model you buy. Enjoy your game.

agreed - can't go wrong with options.

#5354 5 years ago

thanks for link!

#5356 5 years ago

I powdercoated a buddies afm for him and i feel CGC should have offered red as a choice cause this is way hot

77709 (resized).jpeg77709 (resized).jpeg77710 (resized).jpeg77710 (resized).jpeg
#5357 5 years ago

That red looks great!

For those with shakers.... Are they worth it? I know original didn't have one and the see played I couldn't really tell.... Thoughts? Btw the se I played also felt different than my classic. Maybe bc it was routed and my classic is basically new....I would expect all machines types to feel the same right?

#5358 5 years ago

I like the shakers in almost everything, but in this game it adds nicely to the thrill of a good game. Everytime that thing fires off on the ship or the gate you know that you are that much closer to a drain. And when the lockbar shakes for the blowup sequence it tells your hand to go from the game to the beer.

#5359 5 years ago

As for them playing different, yes. They are all going to do that. Some of us have the flippers turned down from unnecessarily high default power. Others have changed sling power and outlane gaps. You can turn it into a slob or a finely turned big green machine.

#5360 5 years ago

Every pin will feel different.

It’s as simple as setup and wear as well as these pins are made my humans so they will be made a little different.

Take a car put 20psi in the tires then take the same car and put 35psi in the tires the car will behave different.

One car with new tires and breaks one with shot tires and brakes. One could conquer the world the other could be wildly unstable.

Every pin I’ve played feels different and if you own a pin you feel that is what it should feel like. I sold my CFTBL and said to my friend I think I should have not sold it, he had a different one he was about to sell so he gave me a temporary trade and I couldn’t play the game, though it was horrible nothing felt like the one I sold.

#5361 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Every pin will feel different.
It’s as simple as setup and wear as well as these pins are made my humans so they will be made a little different.
Take a car put one car with 20psi in the tires and one with 35psi in the tires they will behave different.
One car with new tires and breaks one with shot tires and brakes. One could conquer the world the other could be wildly unstable.
Every pin I’ve played feels different and if you own a pin you feel that is what it should feel like. I sold my CFTBL and said to my friend I think I should have not sold it, he had a different one he was about to sell so he gave me a temporary trade and I couldn’t play the game, though it was horrible nothing felt like the one I sold.

yeah I never really appreciated that until I played the SE. It's not flipper strength it was the feel of the game....good to know.

#5362 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

yeah I never really appreciated that until I played the SE. It's not flipper strength it was the feel of the game....good to know.

One favorite pin is Metallica I have a pro. Was at an arcade though I’d try the premium. It was horrible, I mean like I got s free game and just left it there for whoever would take it. Now if I had never played Metallica before I’d maybe have thought it was not a great pin.

As you know some pins like XMLE will be very different from XM pro but AFM all the models should play the same depending on setup and wear.

I choose the LE because I love the topper and wide display and lighted speakers it’s quit more in price for essentially the same pin but that’s like say Tron stock vs Tron with $2000 in mods. They’re the same but could look way different.

#5363 5 years ago

Shaker adds to the game IMHO. Great addition to the game and worth it.

#5364 5 years ago

I just bought this. What a great idea b/c the VUK in this game stands out like a sore thumb!

Little expensive but whatever...

https://mezelmods.com/collections/attack-from-mars-pinball-mods/products/attack-from-mars-pinball-eat-at-eddys-building?variant=12220876619892

Will post some pics when it comes. Love how it ties in the eat at eddys like on the backglass.

#5365 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I just bought this. What a great idea b/c the VUK in this game stands out like a sore thumb!
Little expensive but whatever...
https://mezelmods.com/collections/attack-from-mars-pinball-mods/products/attack-from-mars-pinball-eat-at-eddys-building?variant=12220876619892
Will post some pics when it comes.

I bought it too so ill let ya guys know too. It looks like itd be a great add on

#5366 5 years ago

AFM or AFMr with shaker kicks ass realy adds to the game

#5367 5 years ago

Worth the buy

20180702_181522 (resized).jpg20180702_181522 (resized).jpg20180702_181530 (resized).jpg20180702_181530 (resized).jpg20180702_181534 (resized).jpg20180702_181534 (resized).jpg20180702_182522 (resized).jpg20180702_182522 (resized).jpg
#5368 5 years ago

that looks great

#5369 5 years ago

Now people can't say its an empty looking playfield anymore. I ordered one as well, it fills that spot in nicely and looks stock.

#5370 5 years ago

Are the AFMr ‘eat @ eddy’s’ versions out of stock right now?

#5371 5 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

AFM or AFMr with shaker kicks ass realy adds to the game

when does the shaker go off in this game? When the ship is hit and explodes but anything else?

#5372 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

when does the shaker go off in this game? When the ship is hit and explodes but anything else?

Pretty much just the ship. Its kind of weak compared to sterns

#5373 5 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

ok that's what I thought. For 150 I'll pass.

#5374 5 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

The Shaker goes off all the time.
It's really well integrated into the game.
It's powerful, amusing and a must-have.
It adds a lot to the overall experience.
Most games have had them added over the years because the game is so much better with it. So much poorer without it.

#5375 5 years ago

Does the saucer rub against the Eat at Eddy's building mod when the saucer shakes? I'm interested, just wouldn't want the two smacking against each other.

#5376 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The Shaker goes off all the time.
It's really well integrated into the game.
It's powerful, amusing and a must-have.
It adds a lot to the overall experience.
Most games have had them added over the years because the game is so much better with it. So much poorer without it.

wait - so does it go off more than just the center shot? Would you care to elaborate? I was told only center shot only (when gate is down).

#5377 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

wait - so does it go off more than just the center shot? Would you care to elaborate? I was told only center shot only (when gate is down).

If you have a chance to play a game that has a Shaker in it you will see what I mean.
Only then can you make an assessment I think.

#5378 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

If you have a chance to play a game that has a Shaker in it you will see what I mean.
Only then can you make an assessment I think.

not sure I understand. All I am asking is when the shaker goes off. Technically when does the motor go off? Is it JUST center shot or is it more?

I am not asking if the shaker itself makes enough of a diff.

You mentioned it goes off more than the center - if so when else? Just curious.

#5379 5 years ago

Don’t look now but AFM currently number one pin all time in Pinside 100.

I’ve ordered my AFM LE somewhat impulsively, sure I’ve played AFM a good little bit, but not a lot. I’m going by the reviews and such, plus I don’t have any older pins and thought adding one of the better/best of the B/W pins would be good for my collection balance.

I think (from reviews) AFM is fairly/very shallow and seems to be a lot of hit the saucer shot, I’m curious to hear from the owners why such a simple pin seems to have pushed up past such others like TZ or TAF, TS which are around the same era but seem to have much more in the way of toys and maybe rules.

#5380 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’ve ordered my AFM LE somewhat impulsively, sure I’ve played AFM a good little bit, but not a lot. I’m going by the reviews and such, plus I don’t have any older pins and thought adding one of the better/best of the B/W pins would be good for my collection balance.
I think (from reviews) AFM is fairly/very shallow and seems to be a lot of hit the saucer shot, I’m curious to hear from the owners why such a simple pin seems to have pushed up past such others like TZ or TAF, TS which are around the same era but seem to have much more in the way of toys and maybe rules.

This game literally broke my pinball buying formula. It's simple in rules but something about it - especially the way it feels when playing it just makes it a winner for me. The rules are simple but have enough to keep things interesting and I'm starting to realize more rules doesn't mean a better experience.

#5381 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

not sure I understand. All I am asking is when the shaker goes off. Technically when does the motor go off? Is it JUST center shot or is it more?
I am not asking if the shaker itself makes enough of a diff.
You mentioned it goes off more than the center - if so when else? Just curious.

The ship exploding is quite often.
In my opinion it's enough.
Too much shaker would seem out of place and take away from the fun of it.

What other shots do think would be appropriate?

I can't really think of any off hand.

With the sounds, shaker, knocker and light show, I think it's really well balanced.

#5382 5 years ago

Iron Man shaker goes off when you hit a drone target (only when lit). That shake is just a tiny bit not a big ass shake just enough to say you hit a lot from target.

I think there is room for subtle shake not just all or nothing. IM has fantastic shaker integration.

#5383 5 years ago

The shaker also goes off when you earn an extra ball .

#5384 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Great choice. I decided to keep mine after posting it recently for a DILE trade. Couldn't let go of one grail game for another! Will find a way to get and keep both

#5385 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Medieval Madness and attack from Mars are very similar, and written by the same programmers. From a wide overview essentially the same game with the same goals.

It seems appropriate that they would be numbers 1 and 2 in the top 100 based upon their similarities.

#5386 5 years ago

Shaker activates just before multiball starts.... when the video mode shows the missle hitting the saucer.
It might also shake when you hit a jackpot during multi ball ?

#5387 5 years ago
Quoted from PolePosition:

Does the saucer rub against the Eat at Eddy's building mod when the saucer shakes? I'm interested, just wouldn't want the two smacking against each other.

Nope.
Building fits perfectly, looks fantastic and no rubbing on the saucer.
I got lucky running the wire but I can see where t could be a pain to run if you keep getting a bad feed.

#5388 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Pixels are really large and it just didn't suite my tastes. I ended up pulling the ad and staying with the classic.

I have been thinking about this, the 'big pixels' I don't really buy this argument. I see the classic is much cheaper and that is a big consideration, but the display (IMO) should not be a reason to prefer the classic. The enhanced display is nearly twice the surface area so the number and letter dots are larger but when used for pictures they are smaller and much more numerous.

If I was putting a price on the display (like people do when they buy a color DMD) the colorization cost $400 maybe $100 less because you are not getting a spare display (like with color DMD). The larger display with speaker lights probably worth $5-600 in what people pay for things in pinball.

The score numbers and printed words may have larger pixels but exerting else (the pictures) have vastly smaller pixels.

For example one picture if you look at the the alien eye the classic display has like 18 dots and the enhanced display has like 100 dots.

Here is an example of the two displays:

afm-BigLobsterAfter-lg (resized).pngafm-BigLobsterAfter-lg (resized).pngafm-BigLobsterBefore-lg (resized).pngafm-BigLobsterBefore-lg (resized).pngafm-ExtraBallAfter-lg (resized).pngafm-ExtraBallAfter-lg (resized).pngafm-ExtraBallBefore-lg (resized).pngafm-ExtraBallBefore-lg (resized).png

#5389 5 years ago

Rai - it's very simple. Bigger is usually better but when the source material is pixels, that's not the case as the source (pixels) made to look bigger to stretch on a bigger screen (that it was never intended to be on) results in an odd picture (IMO).

Again IMO

Take a look at the bigger screen in person and compare it to the classic. They basically are stretching out the original pixels to fit the screen and to me it doesn't look great. At least it was enough for me to not value that large screen like someone saying would you want a 32 inch tv or a 65 inch - obviously you want the 65 inch but think about it like putting a NES game on a big screen vs CRT - it just looks a little odd.

I'm old school and really appreciate good video quality. I was never impressed with that large display simply b/c it was "large". They kept source as opposed to apply the HD smooth like on color DMD which would have looked SICK on this big display but large pixels? Sorry not for me. Classic is tight and the way it should be (IMO). I understand LE and SE owners that love it - god bless. Just not for me.

#5390 5 years ago

I don't think the screen is stretched, if the hight and width is the same ratio you are not stretching anything if you have different diagonal size.

I agree it would look better if they re-did the graphics into a cartoon (Dragon's Lair style color).

#5391 5 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Great choice. I decided to keep mine after posting it recently for a DILE trade. Couldn't let go of one grail game for another! Will find a way to get and keep both

Same here. Was going to list mine to offset some ACNC and moving expenses... as i was taking the pics i just stopped. Play it too much.

#5392 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have TZ and TAF off your inquiry....also purchased AFMRLE and love it. The game just has massive fun factor, and enough to do to keep you quite busy/happy. I personally am blown away w better, bigger color screen, integrated topper that the LE provides over the original. Shaker is deployed perfectly, imho... Makes this a very unique package, and a great "low key" game to wind down or wind up with for a pinball evening. TZ is...well...TZ, stop and go shot maker that can't be replicated...TAF still gives me a great laugh, and enjoy playing it in different ways (Mansion, vs. GREED points, etc.). All 3 are classics...

AFMRLE sort of sits between the 2 for me....more to do than TAF, but flows better than TZ. The remake is simply a feature enhanced version of the original. It deserves to be where it is...always liked it better than MB, actually. Suspect it is ranking higher now that more people are getting exposed to it. Awesome game...the total package for a pinball machine......you will thoroughly enjoy it....congrats!!!!

#5393 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't think the screen is stretched, if the height and width is the same ratio you are not stretching anything if you have different diagonal size.

Correct.....your sample screen captures the images well...major improvement

#5394 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't think the screen is stretched, if the hight and width is the same ratio you are not stretching anything if you have different diagonal size.
I agree it would look better if they re-did the graphics into a cartoon (Dragon's Lair style color).

I'm not talking about the redesigned art like you listed there. I'm talking about the pixels that are displayed during the majority of the time like the score, etc. Again not knocking it but they took the art that happens for certain actions (like extra ball, center ship explosion) and they redesigned those to look better. Problem is the static pixels that exist when you're just playing the game - they look totally out of place on the bigger screen b/c the screen is much larger. That is what I'm referring to.

The redesigned art looks great on color classic too (which is what I decided to do - keep classic and get color). Now I have redesigned pixels (which look great on classic.....if they went smooth art I would def got the bigger one but updated pixels - no...classic is good) AND the giants pixels you get during normal play/score don't look like an eye sore on the classic.....again IMO.

My question is if I get the shaker. I hear it's only center shot and then others say it's more. Seems like I can't get a straight answer.

#5395 5 years ago

I’m not a fan of dots either. All my pins have color DMD and I put them on high res or smooth whatever that setting is. Much prefer they to dots but I know lots of people with color DMD that put on dots.

But it’s too bad they didn’t offer a choice of dots or smooth because I’d much prefer the cartoon look. My two cents.

I’m so excited about my new AFM it’s on the truck just in Kentucky now. Hopefully it’ll be arriving Friday but I’ve got no delivery notice yet.

#5396 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m not a fan of dots either. All my pins have color DMD and I put them on high res or smooth whatever that setting is. Much prefer they to dots but I know lots of people with color DMD that put on dots.
But it’s too bad they didn’t offer a choice of dots or smooth because I’d much prefer the cartoon look. My two cents.
I’m so excited about my new AFM it’s on the truck just in Kentucky now. Hopefully it’ll be arriving Friday but I’ve got no delivery notice yet.

Ditto....HIRES guy here...you'll be very pleased w this, however....excited for you!!!

#5397 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

agree with both you guys - Hi res no question and in this game it would have looked even better on that giant screen.

Game is great either way - small, large. You'll be happy. The game just feels great.

#5398 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Agree with all 3 of you guys.. Hi res here too! AFMr colour big screen would look awesome high res! Hopefully we get an update that allows us to changes over from dots.

#5399 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Love how it ties in the eat at eddys like on the backglass.

See ya all at EDDY'S!!!!

IMG_1543 (resized).JPGIMG_1543 (resized).JPG
IMG_1547 (resized).JPGIMG_1547 (resized).JPG
IMG_1548 (resized).JPGIMG_1548 (resized).JPG

#5400 5 years ago

Couldn't agree more! Great product from Mezel Mods! Fast shipping and easy to install!!
AFM #2.pdfAFM #2.pdfAFMr #1.pdfAFMr #1.pdfAFMr #1.pdfAFMr #1.pdf

AFMr #3.pdfAFMr #3.pdf
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

5,400 (OBO)
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,558 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/108?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.