pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0459 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_3716 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,554 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 212.
#5101 5 years ago

Joined the club finally on the weekend when I took delivery of a black AFM-r LE that's been waiting for me for since Jan. I can say after a bit of play, that I can finally put the mistake of selling my original owned from new AFM years ago behind me . I absolutely love this thing, forgotten how much fun it was. Has totally erased what little regret I had selling my DI recently as well. Love the quality of everything they done on this machine, including the topper. The only addition I'd like to make is some PDI glass on it to really show it off. Might even borrow some off another machine temporarily!

#5102 5 years ago

Joined the AFMR LE club! When family and friends visit, there is a line to play it - they all love it.

AFMRLE (resized).pngAFMRLE (resized).png

#5103 5 years ago

My guess is quite a lot. Thousands and thousands. The little dents in the playfield are merging together nicely. Mine is the same way. I have a full set of Cliffy's and have never put them on. Not a mark of damage...

#5104 5 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

1600? What wax you using? Clear looks flawless.

1017 at the moment. In my home only, no less. Wife and son are in love with it! It's holding up damn near flawlessly! Some chipping at the ball drain that I mylared once I began to notice is. That's about it

I use meguires cleaner wax, and liquid paste wax rubbed on by hand, every 100 plays MAX

#5105 5 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Joined the club finally on the weekend when I took delivery of a black AFM-r LE that's been waiting for me for since Jan. I can say after a bit of play, that I can finally put the mistake of selling my original owned from new AFM years ago behind me . I absolutely love this thing, forgotten how much fun it was.

Awesome!

Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Joined the AFMR LE club! When family and friends visit, there is a line to play it - they all love it.

Congratulations and welcome to Pinside!

#5106 5 years ago

Thinking about purchasing the classic edition. Has anyone upgraded to color DMD and if so what's the cost of the upgraded.

#5107 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Thinking about purchasing the classic edition. Has anyone upgraded to color DMD and if so what's the cost of the upgraded.

Pretty sure it's the same as in MMr. $400. At that point I think the SE is a better value because you get Larger screen, upgraded led lit speakers, shaker motor and tri color main ship for $300 more then the classic with color upgrade.

#5108 5 years ago

I’ve been waiting for CGC #3 announcement for a month to see what I want to order as I can for 1 more game. After looking at numerous videos of my MB I had years ago I’m convinced that I should order AFM, as great as MB is I just don’t see the gameplay as fun time after time compared to AFM. I remember selling AFM the 1st time and I said never again will it leave. I’m gonna get a special edition.

#5109 5 years ago

Anyone with glow in the dark rubbers. Do they actually glow or should i just get Green?

#5110 5 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Anyone with glow in the dark rubbers. Do they actually glow or should i just get Green?

I have glow in the dark flipper rubbers with blue trough lights and they glow white. The glow is from the lights not the rubbers in the dark. They reflect the light. They perform well as flipper rubbers.
I have green incandescence rubbers on the rest of the field and they look great in both dark and light.

#5111 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Does the classic have an actual DMD or is it an LCD that's just displaying a single color? I would double check to make sure that ColorDMD is even compatible.

#5112 5 years ago

It had a lcd and colordmd won't work
Only the Chicago gaming color upgrade chip will

#5113 5 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

BentleyBear, it really is easy, and it makes a HUGE difference. I would say it took me less than 2 minutes. It's just like LTG described above. Literally loosen, slide, tighten. on both outlanes. I will post a pic from the underside when I get home later. You won't be disappointed if you try this.

Wow,BIG difference.Now i can finally enjoy the game to the fullest

#5114 5 years ago

So glad I read this thread lol. I had mine set to 7.5 and was getting really frustrated at not being able to capture the ball or progress. Set the game to 6.8 and got to mars the next game lol.

#5115 5 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

BentleyBear, it really is easy, and it makes a HUGE difference. I would say it took me less than 2 minutes. It's just like LTG described above. Literally loosen, slide, tighten. on both outlanes. I will post a pic from the underside when I get home later. You won't be disappointed if you try this.

Quoted from BentleyBear:

Wow,BIG difference.Now i can finally enjoy the game to the fullest

I agree completely! I just did this to my machine and it made an enormous difference. Now it’s more fun than ever! Thanks for the suggestion.

#5116 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No warranty. They can help.
LTG : )

great customer service. they got back to me right away and working on the issue.

#5117 5 years ago

Sale Pending...
While I like the game, I don't love it and really don't have enough room to have a Pinball Museum, so I'm selling my AFMr (LE #34) (green trim), purchased from Larry @ Flip N Out.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/63655
I've made one last reduction to $7200, located at 94583, prefer local buyer...no trades; as of a few days ago it had 146 plays.
If it doesn't sell I may give it to my son-in-law for his game room...I need the space and am tired of looking at it as it reminds me of how much I paid for something I'd really rather not have.
Thanks.
Robert

Added over 6 years ago: Game is sold!

#5118 5 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

So glad I read this thread lol. I had mine set to 7.5 and was getting really frustrated at not being able to capture the ball or progress. Set the game to 6.8 and got to mars the next game lol.

I played my game a lot at 6.5 degrees with slightly weakened flippers, it played strangely floaty at times.
Setting the pitch to 6.7 and setting the flippers to default with PIC 2.0, my game plays perfectly and I finally got to RTU.
Im using superbands on the flippers as they catch the ball really well.
I just bought some perfect play flipper rubbers from pinball life, Ill see how they do in comparison.

Im also using superbands on my Hobbit.

#5119 5 years ago

Here's a weird issue. Was playing a two player game with my son and when he got strobe multiball the GI stayed lit. Then on my ball the same thing happened. When mode ended I got total annihilation and the GI then dimmed and stayed that way till we rebooted. Anyone seen this before?

#5120 5 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Joined the club finally on the weekend when I took delivery of a black AFM-r LE that's been waiting for me for since Jan. I can say after a bit of play, that I can finally put the mistake of selling my original owned from new AFM years ago behind me . I absolutely love this thing, forgotten how much fun it was. Has totally erased what little regret I had selling my DI recently as well. Love the quality of everything they done on this machine, including the topper. The only addition I'd like to make is some PDI glass on it to really show it off. Might even borrow some off another machine temporarily!

Definitely do the PDI...congrats!!!

#5121 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Definitely do the PDI...congrats!!!

Oh definitely, especially when I can borrow some from another machine .

#5122 5 years ago

Chicago Gaming has excellent tech support. I had a deal pixel on the DMD and one of my saucers on the topper wasn't working right. They sent me replacements, took me a bit to get them installed (the dmd had piece of the frame that was bent and I had to use some pliers to straighten it), but everything works great, shipped old equipment back and done (they provided shipping). Can't wait for machine # 3!

#5123 5 years ago

So I got a HUO AFMr-LE about a week ago; the original owner mentioned his distributor gave him a new rom chip (rev1.1 I believe). It is installed on the game, but what did that upgrade fix/change? just curious; and is 1.1 the current version?

#5124 5 years ago

Anyone know how much it is to upgrade screen on classic to color? Also the default screen allows one single color right? Thanks

#5125 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So I got a HUO AFMr-LE about a week ago; the original owner mentioned his distributor gave him a new rom chip (rev1.1 I believe). It is installed on the game, but what did that upgrade fix/change? just curious; and is 1.1 the current version?

Congratulations on the game. There should be a new PIC chip installed on the big board in the backbox labeled “AFM SOL V2.0”. It corrects a software bug that could potentially lead to a problem with the Solenoid Driver Board when the flipper coils were placed on a setting other than default. Better explained in Doug’s post below.

Quoted from CGC_DougS:

Service Update:
Previously, I mentioned that we will be providing a firmware update that applies to the Solenoid Driver Board. We had asked both our dealers and the people on Pinside to spread the word to return their flipper coil settings to "default" until such time that you have updated your games. We appreciate everyone’s cooperation. Both internally and externally, we have been testing the firmware to make sure that it is right. The feedback we got back from a few of our testing subjects is very positive and that it will actually improve the quality of the game. The update will provide you much better control of the flipper coils. PIC’s will start to be programed soon. They will be placed in an envelope in a protective shield, a PIC puller, and some brief instructions. I am anticipating to start shipping our dealers early next week. We will start with overseas dealers first. It will be up to our dealer to distribute the update to their customers. PLEASE DO NOT OPEN SERVICE TICKETS FOR THIS UPDATE, FOR THEY WILL NOT BE DISTRIBUTED DIRECTLY BY CGC.
This issue came to light on the week between Christmas and New Year’s holidays. We quickly responded in isolating the problem and correcting the code, but the testing process took a little longer. Please stay in touch with your dealer on this update. We appreciate your patience.
Thank you.
Doug Skor

16FFC65D-F0A7-411D-99D1-CA3C64E37DD6 (resized).jpeg16FFC65D-F0A7-411D-99D1-CA3C64E37DD6 (resized).jpeg

#5126 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Anyone know how much it is to upgrade screen on classic to color? Also the default screen allows one single color right? Thanks

If it's like MMr, it's $399.

#5127 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Congratulations on the game. There should be a new PIC chip installed on the big board in the backbox labeled “AFM SOL V2.0”. It corrects a software bug that could potentially lead to a problem with the Solenoid Driver Board when the flipper coils were placed on a setting other than default. Better explained in Doug’s post below.

Right on thanks! Yea that’s what’s installed on mine.

#5128 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

What it didn't change can hurt your game. Leave coil settings at default until you get the 2.0 PIC on the driver board in the backbox. See attached pictures and link.

If your PIC is 2.0 on the label, you are good to go. If you need the 2.0, contact your distributor to get it.

DSC00480 (resized).JPGDSC00480 (resized).JPG

DSC00481 (resized).JPGDSC00481 (resized).JPG

#5129 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If it's like MMr, it's $399.

Damn that is expensive. Doesn't the DMD that comes with it do color already so what are you buying?

#5130 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Damn that is expensive. Doesn't the DMD that comes with it do color already so what are you buying?

The programming that made all the color happen. Not an easy task. Frame by frame, dot by dot. And if it's like the MMR color upgrade, it's four times the colors of the ColorDMD version in the original MM.

AFMR has improved graphics in the color version too.

#5131 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The programming that made all the color happen. Not an easy task. Frame by frame, dot by dot. And if it's like the MMR color upgrade, it's four times the colors of the ColorDMD version in the original MM.
AFMR has improved graphics in the color version too.

How is it enabled? Is it anything physical or just software?

#5132 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The new wide screens are 4x higher definition than the old DMD's, so new artwork had to be developed.

The classic versions can get color but I dont know if they have the higher definition available in the new wide screens.

Its a lot of work to re-paint every single frame of an animation and chose colors that make sense and look good.

The animations have to be stored on a ROM and traded out/bypased for color vs orange DMD style.

#5133 5 years ago

Ok. Classic doesn't have larger DMD but I thought it can still get the color treatment? Anyone confirm and if so how do you update?

#5134 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Ok. Classic doesn't have larger DMD but I thought it can still get the color treatment? Anyone confirm and if so how do you update?

You can get color, contact CGC for the upgrade.
It was reported that some of the early classics had color in them from the factory.

#5135 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I haven't done one yet. MMR had to have current software, and you changed the huge IC on the big board under the playfield.

#5136 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The full color experience.

That's why there's really zero reason to buy the entry level AfMr if you eventually want color. The price difference between the Standard and SE is not much more than the cost of the color upgrade later.

#5137 5 years ago

Well I'm about to join the club! Where can I buy shaker and do normal Bally William mirror blades fit on these?

#5139 5 years ago

Ltg the man as usually. Thanks!

#5140 5 years ago

So I have the game. Had one error but I cleared it. Stunning game works great. I have the standard with one color but when it boots it looks full color and hd. I’m assuming the hd color does more than just colorize from the looks of the boot up screen. Looks very nice. Is it safe to assume the HD option on standard is the same as LE but just smaller screen?

Also where is the option to make the strobe and lights on saucer brighter?

Finally to get the Hs option I need to call the manufacturer?

#5141 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

In the CGC menu.

Or page 1-10 in the manual.

#5142 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I have the game. Had one error but I cleared it. Stunning game works great. I have the standard with one color but when it boots it looks full color and hd. I’m assuming the hd color does more than just colorize from the looks of the boot up screen. Looks very nice. Is it safe to assume the HD option on standard is the same as LE but just smaller screen?
Finally to get the Hs option I need to call the manufacturer?

Order the upgrade chip?

#5143 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Order the upgrade chip?

Ok I'm not familiar with what that is or where to get but I'll call them tomorrow.

#5144 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Ok I'm not familiar with what that is or where to get but I'll call them tomorrow.

I'm not sure it's available. Website says LE and SE only. Maybe because of the larger screen ?

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm.php

If you call them, hit "O" and ask for someone there. No sense hitting tech support ( me ). Someone there may know more.

#5145 5 years ago

Definitely. I noticed the same but in the chart breakdown they say upgradable on the classic so it's contradicting. I would be surprised if you can't get the color bc the DMD can do full color already (boot screen shows AFM in full color).

Looks nice

#5146 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

(boot screen shows AFM in full color).

That is different than all the programming needed to do all the frames/dots in color.

Please post what you find out.

#5147 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is different than all the programming needed to do all the frames/dots in color.
Please post what you find out.

Will do. I was just saying the screen has the ability to technically display color

#5148 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

We must build an Atomic Blaster!

When can us AFMr owners expect your mods be available?
Also interested in filling the vacant upper left of the playfield. Larry the Lobster won't interface with the remake.

#5149 5 years ago

So checked the cgc menu option and mine is 1.0.0 software. Not sure that's latest but I have sol v2.0 so good there

Also there is a colorize option and it says not installed so I think technically it should be possible but will update

#5150 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So checked the cgc menu option and mine is 1.0.0 software. Think that might be outdated. Been reading about a lot of people getting 2.0. will prob need to get the same...

1.0.0 is the current software.

2.0 is the revision of the PIC on the driver board. Replacing 1.0 PIC. Current games may not have a label on that PIC.

See pictures.

DSC00480 (resized).JPGDSC00480 (resized).JPG

DSC00481 (resized).JPGDSC00481 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 210.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,554 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 212.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-remake-afmr-owners-club/page/103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.