(Topic ID: 223685)

Attack From Mars Originally Had Moving Saucers And Collapsing Aliens?

By SantaEatsCheese

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Dan_Halen
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which would you rather have on AFM?”

• Moving Saucer 11 votes
    92%
  • Collapsing Aliens 1 vote
    8%

(12 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Ran across this old interview with designer Brian Eddy. Full article here: http://hem.bredband.net/b257182/afmfacts.html

"AFM was the most different. It had one big feature that didn't make it into the game. The saucer in the middle of the playfield was originally suppose to move out and around the playfield.
It started (rested) right where the static one on the final game is. It had a telescopic arm that allow the
saucer to move out about 18 inches onto the playfield and a pivot that would rotate it right & left.
So it basically could "move" around the whole playfield (hence the open playfield area in the final design).
It also had a target hanging down from the middle of the saucer that you could shoot from
any angle. We ran out of time to develop it and keep it cost effective.
It was also a reliability issue and to make it rock solid would have required a lot of testing time.

The Martians also started out like the string push toys (you push the bottom of a platform and they
jiggle/collapse). When you would hit them they would fall to pieces. We couldn't make it reliable (String would always break to soon) so we found this really flexible plastic and made them jump up/down.
Not quite as effective but still a lot of fun to watch and very reliable.".

Either one of these could be really cool. I understand why they had to drop these, but either feature would make a really cool super deluxe mod. I think the collapsible figurines might be doable, but the moving space ship is probably a bridge too far.

Anyways I never heard of this and it sounded cool. If you could have one of these features on AFM, which would it be?

#2 5 years ago

I thought that using a collapsible figure idea on star wars for an AT-AT would have been an interesting feature. I had no idea it was actually seriously considered for use in a game before that, though.

#3 5 years ago

Very interesting thanks for posting that moving saucer would have been very cool.

#4 5 years ago

Similair to Gottliebs StarGate.

1 week later
#5 5 years ago

I wonder if any of those made it to the prototype stage. If we could see the mechanism we could probably build it. I've always thought the metal housing behind the mothership was way too big for what it does. I'm betting this housing was intended for more mechanisms and functionality.

I'm thinking something like a turntable arm would provide a starting point to get the ship moving.

4 years later
#6 1 year ago

If anyone happens to know Brian Eddy or has photos of this... we'd love to see it.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

If anyone happens to know Brian Eddy or has photos of this... we'd love to see it.

There was at least one if not more photos of that prototype game on the original WMS pinball website in the late 90's. Perhaps Ballypinball still has it somewhere in his archives?

2 months later
#8 1 year ago

I'd love to see the pictures. Maybe someone can chime in and share them.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Isn’t he still working for Stern? Email him and ask.

4 months later
#10 1 year ago

ha cool thread I found by accident

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

ha cool thread I found by accident

I think I found it because you updated it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.50
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 3.80
Playfield - Other
Steel Tiger Pinball

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

11,000 (OBO)
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.