Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Lostcause
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21F63CBF-1367-4B0C-AF39-480B89300BAC (resized).jpeg
    459112CE-A458-4ACC-8CE3-992931A06853 (resized).jpeg
    AFMo (resized).jpg
    AFMn (resized).jpg
    joker.gif
    8E2CFC01-29E7-42E1-9B3C-D07A2899C16E (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Any differences to the flow or feel of the new ones, compared to the original? Or is it a carbon copy? Thanks.

#2 2 years ago

Original sucks, remakes rule. I have a remake (had and LE, currently and SE) and it is great. A nice (or redone) original with some bells and whistles is what I would prefer over a remake, but hard to find and game play, IMO, is no different. In terms of repairing, an original would be allot easier.

#3 2 years ago

It is not a carbon copy. I have had both and I have an original now. The board control of the games are totally different. It gives the games a different feel. To some the differences are minute and mean nothing. To others (like myself) the different playability feel is important. Both great games and both are worth having.

#4 2 years ago

Original feels much snappier to me, I have a high end restored original with all the worthwhile mods so looks as good. Played a remake and feels sluggish compared to mine, may have needed servicing though.
    Flow is nicer when it’s snappier.
    Remake is better than nothing or a beat up one.

#5 2 years ago

I would not pay up the ass for a remake. These were available NIB for 6k less than a year ago. My 2c.

#6 2 years ago

I had a AFMr Classic. Great build quality and had no issues, I’d definitely recommend it.

#7 2 years ago

Classics are superior to remakes in my book.

#8 2 years ago

Original far superior when it comes to game play. I had both of them, side by side, and you could tell the difference clearly after 1 ball. Flippers, pops, slings, everything is snappier and livelier on the original. Overall “feel” is better, and of course there’s also the intangible of it being way cooler having an original than a reproduction.

My original plan was keep the remake with its fancy screen, light up speakers, and mint condition everything and sell my “players” original.

Instead, after living with both for a weekend I sold the remake for a quick and tidy profit and kept the original, which I also could have sold for a larger profit considering what I paid for it years ago. Zero regrets.
    8E2CFC01-29E7-42E1-9B3C-D07A2899C16E (resized).jpeg8E2CFC01-29E7-42E1-9B3C-D07A2899C16E (resized).jpeg

#9 2 years ago

Had both sold my MMr and will be going back to an original.

#10 2 years ago

Yah I had an original for years and the remake on loan for a month or two.

Original played way smoother to me but I think the remake is very well done....

My original is one of the few pins I regret selling years ago.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Yah I had an original for years and the remake on loan for a month or two.
    Original played way smoother to me but I think the remake is very well done....
    My original is one of the few pins I regret selling years ago.

The remake is a fine facsimile and has helped thousands of folks bring a version of AFM into their collections, which they otherwise may not have been able to do.

The speaker upgrade (sounds better than original for sure) is great, and the fancy screen and updated animations are a cool upgrade, though not one I that really improved my gameplay experience at all.

The xenon flasher under the space ship is not as good on the remakes, I don’t like the weird waffle look of it. Original wins there. The original’s playfield insert lighting is also better, whether or not you’ve changed to LEDs. The remake’a strobing inserts are very odd, sometimes it’s hard to tell if they are lit or not.

There are many, many pinball collectors who either won’t notice or won’t care that that the originals play better, that’s for sure. The pluses of getting a mint condition, brand new game (along with the cosmetic upgrades) would far outweigh the fact that the remakes don’t play as well for these folks.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

Original sucks, remakes rule. I have a remake (had and LE, currently and SE) and it is great. A nice (or redone) original with some bells and whistles is what I would prefer over a remake, but hard to find and game play, IMO, is no different. In terms of repairing, an original would be allot easier

Exactly the opposite here... the remakes are pretty and bright but gameplay is meh compared to the originals. Flippers just aren't as snappy no matter what you do to tweak them.

#13 2 years ago

I'm just glad someone finally brought this up

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Exactly the opposite here... the remakes are pretty and bright but gameplay is meh compared to the originals. Flippers just aren't as snappy no matter what you do to tweak them.

The remake I had the rubbers were crazy ass bouncy also... not sure if they were the originals but that does not work on that game where ball control is so important.

#15 2 years ago

Night and day difference in the way they play.

A really nice original with strong flippers etc just plays so much sharper.

I have yet to play a remake that feels right unfortunately.

Yes, remakes have bells, whistles, toppers, big screens, but for me, gameplay is number 1.

#16 2 years ago

Never played the remake AFM but I did trade a brand new MBr for an original MB straight up.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Original far superior when it comes to game play. I had both of them, side by side, and you could tell the difference clearly after 1 ball. Flippers, pops, slings, everything is snappier and livelier on the original. Overall “feel” is better, and of course there’s also the intangible of it being way cooler having an original than a reproduction.
    My original plan was keep the remake with its fancy screen, light up speakers, and mint condition everything and sell my “players” original.
    Instead, after living with both for a weekend I sold the remake for a quick and tidy profit and kept the original, which I also could have sold for a larger profit considering what I paid for it years ago. Zero regrets.
    [quoted image]

Totally agree....everytime I play the remake it just feels off compared to mu OG one. I'd definitely take a remake over no afm but if I had a choice I'd definitely go for a nice modded original . Such a great game in any form and a must have at least once in a collection. It's the perfect pinball machine imo.

#18 2 years ago
    joker.gifjoker.gif
    #19 2 years ago

For what it's worth. I had an original and remake in my arcade when the remake came out. The remake buried the original so the original went bye bye.

LTG : )

#20 2 years ago

Original. Nothing like walking up to an original of anything. I prefer that experience.

#21 2 years ago

I have an original AFM. I love it, and I'm not giving it up. My buddy liked mine so much he bought a remake, but he was bummed it didn't play/flow as good as my original so he sold it. You should play both, if an AFMR is good enough for you, it's good enough for you.

#22 2 years ago

Man o man,

AFM is the only game I've owned twice. Had an AMF Special Edition and an AFM original I did a full playfield swap, cabinet wrap, color DMD, mirror blades, lit ships... the works.

Price being even, they are both fantastic and you can't go wrong with either.

They felt the same to me.

I will say that I never got more than about 4 jewels lit when I played the Special Edition when I had it. 2 years later I ruled the universe within a week and had to open up the lanes on the original when I got it fully working. However, that may have been due to me having 2 years of practice on pinball in the basement!

If I had to choose between having my Special and my Original back, I'd take the original simply because I think they will hold their value a little better. Over the course of 10 years the serviceability on the original will be much better.

Ads for things I sold way too cheap. What would a playfield swapped, re-wrapped AFM original go for today?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/105355
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/74058

AFMn (resized).jpgAFMn (resized).jpgAFMo (resized).jpgAFMo (resized).jpg
    #23 2 years ago

I've played orginals that feel a bit snappier, but most originals are tired.

Its funny, i'm usually an original is always cooler guy. But the topper and xl display... hubba hubba

#24 2 years ago

The only (two) originals I've played played like shit. I'm actually surprised it is this lopsided of an opinion.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm actually surprised it is this lopsided of an opinion.

You might not be if you played one that didn't play like shit.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

The only (two) originals I've played played like shit. I'm actually surprised it is this lopsided of an opinion.

That's because it's such an amazing game it gets played into dirt.

#27 2 years ago

I would always rather have the newer machine - I love the new display, lighting and topper
    No issues at all with my remake, It makes me happy

#28 2 years ago

Yes, the remakes feel very different from an original. For me it's original or nothing.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

For what it's worth. I had an original and remake in my arcade when the remake came out. The remake buried the original so the original went bye bye.
    LTG : )

Remake looks much brighter, newer, shinier than the original. If I was a pinball newb it'd get my money first as well. Remakes are good for locations, originals good for collections.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

I've played orginals that feel a bit snappier, but most originals are tired.

When I first bought my original AFM back in 2000 and hauled it out of the bar, you couldn't even make the ramps the flippers were so tired. Originals must be shopped with rebuilt flippers to play correctly.

#31 2 years ago

Mmmm... let me get this straight so basically if you own the original you don't like the remake & if you own the remake It's as nice as the original. Ummm okay lmfao I own the MBr & I've played both; sorry never felt any difference in flippers If anything I had to turn them down. Yes original is better but IMO marginally better.

It's kinda like vinyl vs mp3 to me mp3's are fine. Everyone has their preference!

#32 2 years ago

And while we are at it…

459112CE-A458-4ACC-8CE3-992931A06853 (resized).jpeg459112CE-A458-4ACC-8CE3-992931A06853 (resized).jpeg
    #33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I'm just glad someone finally brought this up

This comment made me laugh

#34 2 years ago

Snappy one

21F63CBF-1367-4B0C-AF39-480B89300BAC (resized).jpeg21F63CBF-1367-4B0C-AF39-480B89300BAC (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-original-vs-remake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.