7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“monster bash or attack from mars”

• afm se 64 votes
      69%
    • mb see 19 votes
      20%
    • mb classic 10 votes
      11%

(93 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

129DFB6F-1B7E-4A1D-BD8E-0AA6DF41A7C9 (resized).jpeg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 months ago

Want to add something different to my lineup. Have several Stern's. On the fence on mb classic, se or afm cse. Read some negatives on mb see lighting and difficulty seeing the playfield on the we version vs the white lights in the classic.

#2 7 months ago

Both good games. Both have some differences.

I'd lean to AFM. But play them both if you can. See if one is a game you can't live without.

LTG : )

#3 7 months ago

AFM is my favorite game bar none. I don't really like MB that much, it's a fun pin but not great to me.

#5 7 months ago

MB for me just because I prefer the theme.

#6 7 months ago

AFM was my choice and it's now the one game I would choose if stranded on a desert island.

#7 7 months ago

I have owned my AFM for 12 years and it will never leave, period.

#8 7 months ago

I have both and enjoy them almost equally. MB is a pretty machine that has better toys. AFM is a little deeper and harder to conquer. Both themes are pretty amazing. I also like the mini saucer lights on AFM LE and of course the alien topper is amazing. The code on MB is shallow, but still enjoyable, it’s great for casual players. I personally go for at least the SE because I like the bigger screen.

I’ll be adding MM next, can’t wait.

#9 7 months ago

It’s a this or that thread! Love these. No poll? WTF?!

#10 7 months ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Want to add something different to my lineup. Have several Stern's. On the fence on mb classic, se or afm cse. Read some negatives on mb see lighting and difficulty seeing the playfield on the we version vs the white lights in the classic.

Add a poll.

#11 7 months ago

ATTACK

129DFB6F-1B7E-4A1D-BD8E-0AA6DF41A7C9 (resized).jpeg
    #12 7 months ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Quoted from Fizz:

AFM was my choice and it's now the one game I would choose if stranded on a desert island.

Yup. I was thinking of the perfect pin can't think of anything I'd change.

#13 7 months ago

totally annihilate big or go home

#14 7 months ago

AFM for me. My kids dig MB though.

#15 7 months ago

I have always liked AFM and recently purchased the remake - SE. I have fun playing MB, but have found AMR to be a little more challenging and has enough depth to keep me interested over and over again. Its all personal preference but I really like the campy 50's humor and blowing up the saucer doesn't get old for me. Just defeated Mars for the first time the other night but still needed 3 of the 6 awards to start Rule the Universe. It is good for beginners and skilled players. When I have family / friends over, its a blast to watch them blow up the saucer and freak when the shaker goes off. AFM is very approachable and pretty easy to understand. If you are getting a remake, the SE version has a lot to offer vs the classic remake.

#16 7 months ago

AFM for sure!

#17 7 months ago

AFM, hands down!

#18 7 months ago

Both great games, I'd choose MB. Huge Universal monsters fan, it has a great sense of humor and style, some of the best original songs in any pinball, lots of fun mechs, and has more varied shots than AFM. There's more going on on every level.

#19 7 months ago

AFM. It’s just right. Smooth shooting, enjoyable rules.

#20 7 months ago

Thanks for the responses. I tried a poll and got an error message. Is afm that muck deeper than mb?

#21 7 months ago

I really enjoy them both but I think AFM is better long term.

#22 7 months ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I have own mine for the same and it is never leaving. Also own MMr and MB but would choose AFM. Still play it all the time.

#23 7 months ago

AFM...great, great game

#24 7 months ago

I don't think AFM is much deeper, probably the same deepness.

#25 7 months ago

I owned MB for about 4 months and while I enjoyed it I was shocked at how quickly it got stale for me. I love playing it but will never own it again. I think AFM is more fun, I can’t comment on its staying power though as I’ve never owned it.

#26 7 months ago

Both are great games, but AFM is more fun for me.

#27 7 months ago

I own both and am happy to have them.
    However if one had to leave it would be MB.

I think afm is more difficult I love blowing up saucers. MB is plenty fun, visually stunning plays like a dream.

#28 7 months ago

They are both good. I like MB theme better and have MBr SE. You should play both and then decide.

Maybe wait for the newest version of MMr from Chicago Gaming if you like that theme.

#29 7 months ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Thanks for the responses. I tried a poll and got an error message. Is afm that muck deeper than mb?

I think it depends on how you define "deeper."

In my opinion, AFM is "deeper" in strategy, if that makes sense. The ruleset is perfect. While the rules are simple to understand for a casual player, they can be approached very strategically by a more experienced player to do well at the game. And there after several different ways to approach it. And you will usually be forced to adapt your strategy as you go.

#30 7 months ago

Back in the old days I had way more afm come through my shop. I was selling them as cheap as 3k back in early 2000s. Monster bash was a little tougher to find. That's why I lean towards the MB. I know I'm in the minority. I just love lighting "the big light in the middle that never ever gets."

#31 7 months ago

Afm classic, the real le.

#32 7 months ago

I played AFM yesterday at the show and loved it. My new friend I met at the show has one all tricked out and looks fantastic.

Time to save my cash for the LE and wait for one to pop up for sale.

#33 7 months ago
    Quoted from SkillShot:

I have both and enjoy them almost equally. MB is a pretty machine that has better toys. AFM is a little deeper and harder to conquer. Both themes are pretty amazing. I also like the mini saucer lights on AFM LE and of course the alien topper is amazing. The code on MB is shallow, but still enjoyable, it’s great for casual players. I personally go for at least the SE because I like the bigger screen.
    I’ll be adding MM next, can’t wait.

I hadn´t played any of theese "big" Three.

I stopped playing pinball, Before they all became popular, but are currently building a game room and was concidering picking one up for that reason.

I´ve worked out of Town for two weeks now, and a local bar had mmR and AFMr.

From looking at videos of the Three, i´ve allways concidered afm as the clearly lesser of the Three, but now playing mmr and afmr, i really favor afm.
    for me MMr is to repetetive and destroying the castle was an anticlimactic experience .
    Afm looks uggly, but shoots great and is alot of fun to play. I could see myself getting this pin. Now i just have to find a Place to try mbr.

#34 7 months ago

I bought MB Classic in February and it is already gone. I liked the game but it did get a little stale after a while. Loved how the game was built and the look of it, but for some reason I just didn't fall in love with the game itself. The kids didn't care for it either which I was surprised about.

#35 7 months ago

MB is a beautiful game, and the theme is awesome, but I don't like the shots/layout that much. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't really find it that much fun to play. My AFMrLE is bolted to the floor.

#36 7 months ago

Weird for me to say, but as an AFM owner, I tend to enjoy playing MB more. Maybe it's the "I don't own the game" allure? Not sure... That's not to say I don't absolutely adore my AFM though. I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way.

#37 7 months ago
    Quoted from EightBallTexas:

I played AFM yesterday at the show and loved it. My new friend I met at the show has one all tricked out and looks fantastic.
    Time to save my cash for the LE and wait for one to pop up for sale.

Same here. That AFM was awesome. I definitely prefer AFM over MB but both are fun. Both are kind of repetitive, though.

#38 7 months ago

Afm is a better game.... more difficult and better code/ruleset.

#39 7 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

I don't think AFM is much deeper, probably the same deepness.

Afm is more difficult to achieve certain stages. Mb is pretty easy to do everything.

#40 7 months ago

Monster Bash is great, but AFM all day.

#41 7 months ago

MB the looker, AFM the player.

#42 7 months ago

Guess I’m in the minority here, but I prefer Monster Bash.

#43 7 months ago

I'm pretty surprised at how one sided this thread has been. My vote is AFM for sure, but I thought MB would be getting more support than it is. They're both awesome.

#44 7 months ago

I think you really have to be into the Universal's monsters theme to pick MB. MBr was my first NIB purchase... I was done with it within 2 months. I really thought I would like it more... it didn't keep me interested. The campy-ness and humor initially grabbed me on it... but the bottom line is I just didn't play it enough before I decided to purchase it. My original purchase was to be an AFMr... I wished I had made that choice.

#45 7 months ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Guess I’m in the minority here, but I prefer Monster Bash.

Nothing wrong with that. Enjoying a game is what pinball is all about.

LTG : )

#46 7 months ago

I even prefer CFTBL more than MB as far as monster theme.

Can’t say why MB gets into tho top 3 above TZ and IJ for example.

#47 7 months ago

Get one then the other. Get a new or used MB, play 500 games and master it, then trade it for an AFM SE.

#48 7 months ago

I like the layout and shots better on MB, just needs more rules.

#49 7 months ago

I've had my AFMr for over two years and it's not going anywhere. I just sold my MBr and I had it for just under a year.

My main issue with MB was the main multiball mode (Frankenstein Multiball). It's actually a grind when you start it and its really easy to start. Too easy. Getting super jackpots is as easy as hitting Frank and you have to hit it a number of times to collect his instrument. I would try to avoid hitting the Frank standups until I had a least one other monster mode going. At least then I would have something to shoot at that was interesting and worked towards achieving a goal.

With AFMs main multiball, there are at least interesting shots to make. Make all the main shots, then hit the roaming shot for super jackpot. Plus you can also have the motherships shields down and collect shots against it, blow it up, and maybe trap and extra ball behind the shield before it goes up for a chance at dirty pool. Way more fun to play than MB multiball.

For the rest of it lets compare features:
    AFM
    bouncy Martians/martian multiball - Always fun, love it!
    Strobe Multiball - One of the coolest modes in pinball, if you're in a dark room.
    Video mode - Meh. At least it doesn't come up too often.
    Total Annihilation - Fun, love the callouts and sounds.
    Mode Hurry-ups - Cool
    Blowing up motherships - Cool, but a little repetitive
    Attack Mars - Always exciting for me, since I rarely get to it. Its a nice change-up from just blowing up the mothership. I like the visual with chunks of mars blowing off with each ball hit.
    Rule the Universe - Basically TA, but with Rule the Universe dangling in front of you. That makes it really exciting.

MB
    Collect monsters - Cool. I like the variation in the lights, songs, and shots for each. This is why I kept the game for a year.
    Collect their instruments - Nice challenge, though in most cases, it was just hitting the same shots that collected the monster.
    Mosh Pit Multiball - This is the best mode on the game IMO. Progressive balls and you actually get to use the Frank ramp to collect.
    Monster Bash - Yah it has a cool intro, but the song grinds on my nerves. I want some real thrashing metal here.
    Monsters of Rock - Same as above
    lyman's lament - Meh

Too me there's really no contest, AFM all the way. Though MB wins on looks by a landslide. The best looking game I've ever owned.

#50 7 months ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

and maybe trap and extra ball behind the shield before it goes up for a chance at dirty pool

Some nights I get completely obsessed with doing this. I stage it with a ball on each flipper and make the shot to destroy the saucer and then time the next to trap the ball behind the rising shield. It’s not conducive to playing well, but who cares. Some nights it’s just fun to try to do one small thing for a giggle.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 395.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 104.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 189.99
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 499.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 99.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 183.97
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Other
    Loop Combo Pinball
    $ 85.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    Playfield - Plastics
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside