Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jimjim66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

ebay.com link: itm

This was Dave Mercer's pin in Colorado. I played this very machine some 6 years ago at Dave's and it was a dream machine then. Man these "A" titles keep climbing.

#3 11 years ago

Were you the shill bidder, mn?

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I actually had to look up what shill bidding meant. For anyone else as uninformed as I am on these things:

"Shill bidding happens when anyone—including family, friends, roommates, employees, or online connections—bids on an item with the intent to artificially increase its price or desirability. In addition, members cannot bid on or buy items in order to artificially increase a seller's Feedback or to improve the item's search standing." EBay website.

#5 11 years ago

Should've got into this hobby earlier when AFM was a 3k pin.

#6 11 years ago

Do we need another thread about an $8100.00 AFM? Why yes.....yes we do!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Yea, I seem to be a couple years late in trying to expand my collection sadly. That said, it sure is an exciting time for this industry on the whole.

#8 11 years ago

No shit. AFM sold for $8,100. So what?

Quoted from RobT:

Do we need another thread about an $8100.00 AFM? Why yes.....yes we do!

#9 11 years ago

Hey, Call Treasure Cove and ask what they sell AFM for…I’m sure someone could start a thread about that.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

ebay.com link: itm
it was a dream machine then.

So it didn't have all the chipped inserts back "then", huh? I honestly think the machine's playfield was in the "player" category and needed either a touch up and clear job or it needed to be replaced.

#11 11 years ago

I'll sell my AFM to any one in so cal for $7500

Unfaded original art with Ung's saucer mod, Martian LED eyes, shaker, pinbits Black out board. For $7900 it will come with the color DMD.

RobT has played this AFM. It's really in fantastic shape.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Unfaded original art with Ung's saucer mod, Martian LED eyes, shaker, pinbits Black out board. For $7900 it will come with the color DMD.

I hope you're ready to sell it because I can guarantee someone will try to take you up on that.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

smassa said:I'll sell my AFM to any one in so cal for $7500
I hope you're ready to sell it because I can guarantee someone will try to take you up on that.

They know how to find me

#14 11 years ago

Never-mind...

#15 11 years ago

to me that sounds like a lot for a AFM ....... but then again I never seen/played the exact one in question

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

You forgot to add the part where RobT also Ruled the Universe on that AFM!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

to me that sounds like a lot for a AFM ....... but then again I never seen/played the exact one in question

It is a lot for an AFM. I sold mine for $5500.00 last summer.

The point is that it appears that people are willing to pay a lot more for it now.....so it's kind of appropriate that Smassa posted the price for his AFM in this thread (especially since his is nicer than the one that sold on eBay), don't ya think?!

#18 11 years ago

I would agree it is alot....But seeing is that people are paying crazy prices for pins these days I wouldnt sell it for any less since it is still one of my favorite games.

#19 11 years ago

I guess people are willing to pay the high side of pinball,

off topic a bit- remember years ago when Dodge first came out with the vette beater V-10 Viper
sold for 60K or around that, low and behold ppl would buy them and post them right away on ebay for 80K = a quick 20 grand profit?
Well Dodge uped it's price to around 80K soon after.
So I'm pretty sure...... well maybe not?
that prices from Stern and JJ may follow the climb?
hey if a used pin goes for over $8000 how about a brand new one for $12000 or more ?

#20 11 years ago

hey if a used pin goes for over $8000 how about a brand new one for $12000 or more ?

I think what is driving the price is the collectibility nature of discontinued machines. To some extent the NIB LE's that are coming out now are helping the collectibility of the older machines as well. That's my feel on the topic anyway.

#21 11 years ago

I guess people are willing to pay the high side of pinball,
off topic a bit- remember years ago when Dodge first came out with the vette beater V-10 Viper
sold for 60K or around that, low and behold ppl would buy them and post them right away on ebay for 80K = a quick 20 grand profit?
Well Dodge uped it's price to around 80K soon after.
So I'm pretty sure...... well maybe not?
that prices from Stern and JJ may follow the climb?

Well there is some truth to your statement but we are also talking about one of the most popular & sought after pin of all time with AFM. The day a DM or JD sells for between 7-8k then we know this hobby is in trouble.

#22 11 years ago

smassa said:
Well there is some truth to your statement but we are also talking about one of the most popular & sought after pin of all time with AFM. The day a DM or JD sells for between 7-8k then we know this hobby is in trouble.

Poor Sylvester Stallone. Can't catch a break can he?

#23 11 years ago

I had a feeling that demand for AFM would shoot up when the color DMD came out, that's one reason I purchased one when I did. Even without the color DMD, it is one of the most sought after games ever.

I am not saying that $8100 is reasonable or justified, but it does not surprise me one bit.

#24 11 years ago

the way I look at it now is price spikes and sharp declines after the trend peaks
what will a AFM go for in 10 or so years is anyone's guess?
what will WOZ go for in 10 years?

#25 11 years ago

the way I look at it now is price spikes and sharp declines after the trend peaks

When I purchased my TZ in year 2000 for $1800... alot of people had said the pinball market was at it's peak.

#26 11 years ago

yeah I hear that, when I paid $900 for my BK2000 around the same time ppl looked at me and though I was nuts - wish I had bought 2 now

#27 11 years ago

Until somebody starts making reproductions, the number of machines available is fixed or is declining. And Demand keeps going up... so apply simple supply and demand and that is why prices keep going up.

#28 11 years ago

A beautiful restored one with some extra mods sold here in Aus a few months ago for $10.5k. The same quality MM and MB will the same amount - just crazy.

#29 11 years ago

There's an AFM up now...we'll see what it goes for...gettin' close to that 8k range...

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Buschjs:

I had a feeling that demand for AFM would shoot up when the color DMD came out, that's one reason I purchased one when I did. Even without the color DMD, it is one of the most sought after games ever.
I am not saying that $8100 is reasonable or justified, but it does not surprise me one bit.

I have a feeling all the color dmd pins will rise initially. I am looking for a TAF so I can put the color dmd in when it comes out. Think ahead!

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Absolutely not, I seen the auction after it ended. Brought to my attention on facebook.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I paid $2800 for mine years ago. I am glad I got in this hobby early. Prices are crazy. I have no plans on selling any of my WPC95 pins.

#33 11 years ago

There is also one on eBay for $11995.00 BIN.

#34 11 years ago

I wanted to sell my AFM, but then friends said they wouldn't come to see me anymore.
I don't know how rare they are compared to what? It seems like everyone has one now.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

What a coincidence-

Both people who are selling the AFM's, even though they are different sellers, must know the same shill bidder as he has bid on both auctions.

or maybe it might be- Just putting out a wacky theory on a pinball forum-

People are willing to pay a lot of money for this pin.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

jayhawkai said:Were you the shill bidder, mn?
What a coincidence-
Both people who are selling the AFM's, even though they are different sellers, must know the same shill bidder as he has bid on both auctions.
or maybe it might be- Just putting out a wacky theory on a pinball forum-
People are willing to pay a lot of money for this pin.

Maybe its a guy who really wants a AFM??? Kinda not cool too accuse someone of having a shill bidder without a little proof.

#37 11 years ago

Who cares if its a shill bidder, at some point you either stop bidding or buy.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Maybe its a guy who really wants a AFM??? Kinda not cool too accuse someone of having a shill bidder without a little proof.

Kind of hard to put sarcasm in writing, but what you said was my point. I don't believe it was a shill bidder. Shill bidders don't target the same type of items, and usually only follows 1 seller. Somebody wants an AFM bad and is bidding high enough to try and get this pin.

That's why I prefaced my second opinion as a "wacky" opinion, when it is most likely the real reason the same person is bidding on another auction of the same item that he did not win the day before.

It is easier for some people to dismiss auctions as shills, rather than just acknowledge there are people out there with deep pockets who will pay large sums of money for something they want.

#39 11 years ago

The other thread about this very same AFM had some discussion about shill bidding, so that's what I was referencing. I also put a smiley face on my post, which should help with sarcasm interpretation. To be clear, I was not accusing mnpinball of being a shill bidder.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Still havent received one email on it.

I promiss you its much nicer then the one that sold on ebay & has quite a bit more already put into it.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I'll trade you one of my kidneys for it.

#42 11 years ago

Heck I'd put it up for $8500 smassa then let em knock you down a few hundred
- cause everyone wants a deal you know?
In the end you might sell it for the same or even more.....

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I'll trade you one of my kidneys for it.

Lol....Who knows I may need one day...Whats your blood type???

#44 11 years ago

Heck I'd put it up for $8500 smassa then let em knock you down a few hundred
- cause everyone wants a deal you know?
In the end you might sell it for the same or even more.....

Maybe....Only reason i'd even consider selling it was to have one done by Jim like what he's doing for docscott. Just got done playing it & man it really doesnt get much better then AFM.

#45 11 years ago

Silly money but it is an awesome pin. Got a friend who has owned well over 150 pins and when he came to visit, the only pin he wanted to play was AFM........infact that is why he came to visit!!

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Loupie:

I wanted to sell my AFM, but then friends said they wouldn't come to see me anymore.

People that tell you that - unless it was very tongue in cheek/joking - are not your friends. You're their acquaintance for what you have to offer them, and then as soon as you get rid of it, they don't know you anymore.

Seen this happen to a fellow DeLorean owner, everyone was his best friend until he got rid of his car. In one instance, he was talking to some JiffyLube/QuickOil Change technicians and they asked him where his DeLorean was. AS SOON as he said he sold it, some of them stopped the conversation and walked away in mid-sentence.

Sorry, my bad going off-topic. That stuff just REALLY gets to me.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

eople that tell you that - unless it was very tongue in cheek/joking -

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's exactly what it was.

Do you really think friends would say something like that and be serious?

#48 11 years ago

Sooo strange. I saw a minty AFM with every mod you could imagine at a show a few years ago. The guy was asking $5,000! I offered $4,000 and said NOBODY would pay $5,000 for a used pin! I don't know what the final deal was, but by the end of the day there was a SOLD sign on it. Excuse me, I'll be right back....I'm working on my Time Machine....

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

davewth said:

Still havent received one email on it. []

If you put an ad up in all the usual places, it will sell.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Do you really think friends would say something like that and be serious?

One thing I learned in life: I assume nothing. Not to be a jerk - just saying - people amaze me what they're capable of.

To answer your question: this thread alone has some ambiguity about "who is accusing who of pin shilling" - turned out to be "just joking" - but hey, at one point, people were questioning if the comment was made with serious intent. Just a great example as to how easy it is to not know the true intentions of people's words/actions.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
16,500 (OBO)
Wanted
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 21.50
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-on-ebay-sells-for-8100 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.