• Latest reply 7 years ago by Jenk540i
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sol_33-34.jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hoping I can get some guidance. I have an Attack from Mars which has developed a problem with the left and right loop gates not working. Errors on boot are Check left gate stuck closed and check right gate stuck closed. Checked the mechanicals, all springs are present. Checked Switches # 71-74 ( right and left lo and high) and all register. Solenoid test for # 33 and # 34 (right and left gates) with door closed do not fire. Checked wires and no loose connections. Reseated J120 and J 119- no burnt connectors. There is a disconnected small 4 pin molex plug at back bottom of playfield, but I believe this was removed when the LED mod for the flying saucers was done as I could not find a mated male molex plug for it.

What am I missing?

Bruce

#2 7 years ago

Check the fuse, according to the manual it should be F118 but I'm not sure.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Check the fuse, according to the manual it should be F118 but I'm not sure.

Yep.
And then this.
Balls out or rag stuffed in shooter lane.
PF in vertical position.
Game on.
Meter on DC volts.
Black on ground braid or side rail.
Red on either lug of coils not firing.
Got about 70VDC?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 7 years ago

Thanks Chris and zaza. I checked all fuses, and viola F118 was blown- missed the ones in the bottom right. How did you know F118 went to those solenoids. In my manual F118 is listed as 50 volt flippers?? There are four fuses for the flippers so is it a manual error? Just furthering ,my learning process.

Bruce

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

How did you know F118 went to those solenoids.

It's a puzzle.

Solenoid 33 and 34 are described as upper left and right flippers, but in this game used for controlled gates.
J119-6 and -7 have fused powersupply for these 2 solenoids by F118

sol_33-34.jpgsol_33-34.jpg

#6 7 years ago

Are they actually not working or is it just the error code - both AFM and MM get these errors periodically, and require you to run a loop test to demonstrate normal gate function: The test will only run with the coin door closed. Forgive me if this is not your issue.
In the test when you hit start the ball will be plunged in a counterclockwise loop - you will have to do this several times to pass all tests. Usually you then have to manually send the ball through a clockwise loop after hitting start to pass the remainder of the tests.

It is T.16 in the test mode. Follow the instructions.

Check Left Gate - Stuck Closed.
The game has detected that the Left Gate is stuck closed. Check the Left Gate coil in Coil Test, and
check the spring attached to the Left Gate behind the back panel. Verify that the Left Gate is not
sticking or making contact with anything when moved manually. Then use T.16 (Loop/Gate Test) to
verify proper operation of the Left Gate. When the Loop/Gate Test detects one (1) successful attempt
at rolling a ball around the right loop, the test will clear this error.

Check Left Gate - Stuck Open.
The game has detected that the Left Gate is stuck open. Check the spring attached to the Left Gate
behind the back panel. Verify that the Left Gate is not sticking or making contact with anything when
moved manually. This error message will be cleared in game play when the game detects one (1)
successful shot up the Right Loop that is delivered to the Top Rollover Lanes when the state of the
game dictates that the Left Gate should be closed.

Check Right Gate - Stuck Closed.
The game has detected that the Right Gate is stuck closed. Check the Right Gate coil in Coil Test,
and check the spring attached to the Right Gate behind the back panel. Verify that the Right Gate is
not sticking or making contact with anything when moved manually. Then use T.16 (Loop/Gate Test)
to verify proper operation of the Right Gate. When the Loop/Gate Test detects one (1) successful
attempt at rolling a ball around the left loop, the test will clear this error.

Check Right Gate - Stuck Open.
The game has detected that the Right Gate is stuck open. Check the spring attached to the Right
Gate behind the back panel. Verify that the Right Gate is not sticking or making contact with anything
when moved manually. This error message will be cleared in game play when the game detects one
(1) successful shot up the Left Loop that is delivered to the Top Rollover Lanes when the state of the
game dictates that the Right Gate should be closed.

#7 7 years ago

Here are the test instructions:

T.16 Loop/Gate Test This test is used to verify proper ball delivery from the shooter lane onto
the playfield, and to exercise the four (4) loop switches and the two (2) control gates.
To verify proper ball delivery from the shooter lane onto the playfield after entering this test:
1a) Verify that the coin door is closed.
2a) Press the start button to clear any error messages.
3a) Place a ball into the shooter lane, or press the launch button to eject a ball from the
trough to the shooter lane.
4a) With a ball in the shooter lane, press the launch button to launch the ball onto the
playfield. The left control gate should open when the ball is launched from the
shooter lane. The ball should travel along the shooter lane, around the outer loop
(from right to left), and be delivered cleanly to the left flipper at a reasonable speed.

To repeat the test, repeat steps 2a-4a.

To exercise the four (4) loop switches and the two (2) control gates after entering this test:
1b) Verify that the coin door is closed.
2b) Press the start button to clear any error messages.
3b) Roll a ball around either the left or the right loop. A sound is made as the ball passes
over the loop switches, and the state of the loop switches are updated in the display.
If the ball is traveling around the loop from left to right, the right control gate should
open upon activation of the second left loop switch (L.HI). If the ball is traveling
around the loop from right to left, the left control gate should open upon activation of
the second right loop switch (R.HI). When the ball has finished its path around the
loop (either from left to right, or from right to left), the test should report "TEST
PASSED" on the display. Any other result indicates a problem with either the loop
switches, or the control gates, or both.

To repeat the test, repeat steps 2b-3b.

During this test, the diagnostic test buttons on the coin door act as follows:
Escape: This button returns to the previous menu.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-loop-test-failure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.