(Topic ID: 253315)

Attack from Mars - longevity in home environment?

By Tahitiansea

41 days ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 days ago by bigdaddy07
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“AFM Longevity in a home environment”

• It’s always fun 23 votes
    74%
  • It gets old after a while 8 votes
    26%

(31 votes)

#1 41 days ago

Just looking for some input from individuals that own AFM or AFMr (or have owned it in the past). I am considering getting one for my 4 pin collection and absolutely love the game when I play on location. I really enjoy mode based games and have been looking for a GB pro and AFM keeps popping back into my head since I am having a hard time finding a local GB Pro. Just curious if AFM gets old in a home environment. Last time I played on location I saved all the cities but hadn’t defeated the martians. I owned TAF for 2 years and triple toured the mansion. After that it just didn’t keep my attention and I felt like a new challenge. I was think this might also be an issue after some time with AFM. Feedback is much appreciated.

#2 41 days ago

Sounds like your a decent player, for me its like the three bears its just right code wise. Sounds like you enjoy deep rule pins. Have you owned tspp? New Star Wars? Gotg? These might be better suited for a player with above average skill. Being that said Afm is in a class of its own.

#3 41 days ago

AFM isn’t really mode based, but is still one of the best coded games of all time that also shoots super well.

#4 41 days ago

Sure, any game can get old after a while. I've owned TAF and AFM for something like 16 years each. Have I seen what I need to see? Sure, but they are still very fun to me.

Deep rules also does not mean it's more fun. (Case in point, I traded TSPP for Iron Man 9 years ago-still own Iron man).

If you find the game too easy, widen the outlanes, adjust the settings, turn off extra balls, etc. Ultimately if you are done with it, you can sell it. It is an easy title to move.

Enjoy

#5 41 days ago

I think it gets old, I’m always happy to throw a coin on location but after a couple games I often leave my next credit to someone.

In the end it’s quite an empty playfield and the saucer shot catches most of the attention. The « modes » are limited and don’t bring much. But it is a super fun shooter, no debate on that.

#6 41 days ago

I own an AFMr and love the game, but the code is relatively shallow by modern standards. No offense to the game - it's a huge crowd-pleaser with novice players and is always tons of fun, but with a small collection it may feel a little old after a while. I have 12 pins and counting myself, but most of them have deeper code (TWD, ST, LOTR, TSPP, SM, etc.) so a light, fun game like AFM makes for a nice balance.

#7 41 days ago
Quoted from adol75:

I think it gets old

Love this pin... play it whenever I come across one. I have owned three... every so often I feel I need it back, get it, enjoy it, but then it ends up leaving for something else.

#8 40 days ago

Set it up challenging and it wont get old. Turn off extra balls as well.

#9 40 days ago

I've had mine for two years now and even though it's not getting played as much as the newer games I've brought home since, its still a blast when I play it. I thought about selling it a couple of times and then I have "that game" which quickly reminds me why it's so highly rated. It's also the guest favorite at my home. It always amazes me when new people walk right by JJP POTC and opt to play AFMLE.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside