Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DrDrain
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160907_163500 (resized).jpg
20160907_163219 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hi dear Pinsiders,
I noticed, that some of the lamps on my Attack from Mars weren't working,
so I tried to replace one of the bulbs, but it still didn't work, so I took a closer look at it.
In the manual I found the lamp matrix (I will attach a picture of it to this thread) and I noticed that
the whole row 5 (Red-Green J125-6 Q102) wasn't not working.
These are the lights: Return to Battle, Left Ramp Arrow, Right Ramp Arrow, Left Motor Bank, Lock 1, Atomic Blaster 3, Left Loop Arrow, Right Outlane (I will attach a picture of my machine with lights on)
There are some other lights out, but I guess I'll just have to replace those
Do you know how I could fix this problem? And if, what would I have to change/replace?

Thanks for your help

#2 3 years ago

20160907_163219 (resized).jpg

20160907_163500 (resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

First step is to Check the fuse(s) associated with that string using a meter.

#4 3 years ago

Is a cable related to that row broken anywhere, or fallen out the connector in the backbox?

Had that with Congo on the pinch point at the base of the playfield. Wire had got caught and snapped.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

First step is to Check the fuse(s) associated with that string using a meter.

There are no fuses that fuse a single row of the lamp matrix.
You might be thinking of GI strings, in which case, you would be correct.
--
Chris Hibler

#7 3 years ago

Check your Q102 transistor on the driver board - you'll need a multimeter

Transistor Testing procedures using a DMM.

If the driver board is out of the game for some reason (like to fix the burnt GI connector pins), test all the transistors. It only takes a moment, and will ultimately save time. To test a transistor, a digital multi-meter (DMM) is needed, set to the "diode" position. NOTE: testing transistors with a DMM is not 100% fool-proof. A transistor can test as "good" and still be bad (rare, but it does happen!).
Testing Transistors INSTALLED in the WPC driver board.

TIP36c: Put the red lead of the DMM on the metal tab of the transistor. Put the black lead of the DMM on each of the two outside legs of the transistor. A reading of .4 to .6 volts should be seen. Put the black lead on the center transistor leg (collector) and the red lead on the metal tab, and a zero reading should be seen. Put the black lead of the DMM on the left/top (base) leg of the transistor. The red lead on the center transistor leg should show .4 to .6 volts. The red lead on the right/bottom leg should be .2 volts. Any other value, and the transistor is bad and will need to be replaced.

TIP102: Put the black lead of the DMM on the metal tab of the transistor. Put the red lead of the DMM on each of the two outside legs of the transistor. A reading of .4 to .6 volts should be seen. Put the red lead on the center transistor leg (collector), and a zero reading should be seen. Any other value, and the transistor is bad and will need to be replaced.

TIP107: Put the red lead of the DMM on the center leg or on the metal tab of the transistor. Put the black lead of the DMM on each of the two outside legs of the transistor. A reading of .4 to .6 volts should be seen. Put the black lead on the center transistor leg (collector) and the red lead on the metal tab, and a zero reading should be seen. Any other value, and the transistor is bad and will need to be replaced.
2N5401, MPSD52, 2N4403 (pre-drivers): Put the black lead of the DMM on the center leg of the transistor (note this transistor doesn't have a metal tab). Put the red lead of the DMM on each of the two outside legs of the transistor. A reading of .4 to .6 volts should be seen. Any other value, and the transistor is bad and will need to be replaced.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

There are no fuses that fuse a single row of the lamp matrix.
You might be thinking of GI strings, in which case, you would be correct.
--
Chris Hibler

sorry, i misread and thought more lights were out. Id probably look at the connector on the board, make sure wire is seated properly, and reflow solder on the pin. You can wiggle the connector or wire to see if it briefly flickers, if it does, you problem is a bad connection. Unplugging the connector and plugging it back in can also solve it.

4 weeks later
#9 3 years ago

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
The problem is solved, it was a broken wire in my AFM cabinet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside