(Topic ID: 300329)

Attack From Mars: harder than MM or just me?

By jonnyqtrek

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

So, I dabbled in Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness a bit on location, playing a round or two of AFM at Silverball NJ, and both at PBHoF.

When I saw that Arcade1up had a virtual version, I was excited to grab it. I figured this would be a great way to build up experience of AFM.

It has not been going well. AFM is constantly and unwaveringly kicking my ass. My best score is about 3 billion, and my average game time is 3-5 minutes or so.

Meanwhile, MM is going swimmingly. My games last easily twice as long (I'm still learning), generally have much better control, and a lot less frustration. I blew up all six castles for the first time a few days ago...

... While on AFM if I get even three saucers, that's a cause for celebration.

When I was lamenting this to a friend, they remarked that AFM and MM were basically the same game. This had led me for a few weeks to question my sanity, as I feel like I'm clearly failing/flailing on one but not the other.

Is it generally true that the gameplay is similar enough that I should be playing equally well/poorly on both?

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

So, I dabbled in Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness a bit on location, playing a round or two of AFM at Silverball NJ, and both at PBHoF.
When I saw that Arcade1up had a virtual version, I was excited to grab it. I figured this would be a great way to build up experience of AFM.
It has not been going well. AFM is constantly and unwaveringly kicking my ass. My best score is about 3 trillion, and my average game time is 3-5 minutes or so.
Meanwhile, MM is going swimmingly. My games last easily twice as long (I'm still learning), generally have much better control, and a lot less frustration. I blew up all six castles for the first time a few days ago...
When I was lamenting this to a friend, they remarked that AFM and MM were basically the same game. This had led me for a few weeks to question my sanity, as I feel like I'm clearly failing/flailing on one but not the other.
Is it generally true that the gameplay is similar enough that I should be playing equally well/poorly on both?

I think you mean 3 billion... 3 trillion would be pretty insane.

AFM is a faster game, and the target bank in front of the saucer can be lethal. MM is a little more stop-and-go and the castle shot is generally safer. On MM the trolls make the game a bit unpredictable. If you get into a rhythm both AFM and MM can turn into long games, so I wouldn't call either particularly hard....especially compared to "The Shadow"

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

It has not been going well. AFM is constantly and unwaveringly kicking my ass. My best score is about 3 trillion, and my average game time is 3-5 minutes or so.

I am the exact opposite. I can't get a good game on MM, I'm better at AFM.

#4 2 years ago

I've found AFM to be much easier than MM.

With AFM, you shouldn't hit the the 3-bank target and saucer targets straight on--take them at an angle to avoid going SDTM.

With MM, the guides leading up to the drawbridge gate make that approach much harder. Shots have a tendency to funnel the ball SDTM.

On either game, one trick I use is to activate multiball modes to attack the saucer/castle. Not only do you have ball save for a short time, but you also have at least one ball that can be sacrificed without any penalties if a shot goes bad. A game might take longer to progress through when building up a multiball each time, but I've found it to be the safest approach.

#5 2 years ago

My afm is mean and very unforgiving and I found the original mm I had to be eaiser. Alot depends on the setup in most cases but afm can b a bitch lol

#6 2 years ago

Depends on set up. My AFM can be pretty brutal, but in general I find I get deeper into the AFM than MM, just so much wood chopping in MM.

#7 2 years ago

Had MM for 2 years and never finished it. (BFTK)
Must have completed RTU 6 times when I owned that game, but of course they all play differently

#8 2 years ago

It’s just you…

#9 2 years ago

Thanks for the perspectives, all! Looks like there's a wide variety of opinions out there, so it's nice to say my own experience is somewhere within the spread.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

With AFM, you shouldn't hit the the 3-bank target and saucer targets straight on--take them at an angle to avoid going SDTM.

On either game, one trick I use is to activate multiball modes to attack the saucer/castle. Not only do you have ball save for a short time, but you also have at least one ball that can be sacrificed without any penalties if a shot goes bad. A game might take longer to progress through when building up a multiball each time, but I've found it to be the safest approach.

Thanks kindly for the advice! Will see if I can get adept at some of this... Appreciated!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Wanted
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-harder-than-mm-or-just-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.