(Topic ID: 107060)

Attack From Mars - Can't Beat My Own Hi-Score!

By SpaceGhost

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by hardware
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-771.jpg
#1 9 years ago

So I got an Attack from Mars recently. When I first set it up, I played a few games. I had never played before although I watched a couple videos on YouTube. My third game, I attacked Mars and didn't really know what to do after that so I just kept shooting ramps and stuff. I ended up with a 13+ billion score and put my initials in the machine (since I own it ).

Two weeks later, I have yet to come close to beating my score. What in the hell happened?! I've gotten a 7+ billion score and can get close to that score often but no where near my original high score.

I saw that someone had some really high scores on that game of 400 billion or something like that.

#2 9 years ago

I could put up a string of 7-10bill scores and then every once a while I put up scores in the mid 20bill area. And I suck

I did have a good Martian kill once
image-771.jpgimage-771.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Currently AFM is my favorite pin. I feel it's a bit easy as I completed Rule the Universe twice in the first 2 months of ownership. I think my high score was around 36-38B. I've seen plenty of other scores that destroy mine. One thing I focus on is make sure the inserts are not lit on the inlane when the ball goes over the switch. I think after you complete all 4 10X Extra Ball lights up. This machine gives out EB's like crazy on standard settings. Strobe MB hit the 3 bank targets 10 times and it lights up EB. Do well on video mode and you'll get an extra ball. If I remember correctly you have 1 bomb at your disposal for video mode which makes it super easy.

If you want to build up your score get total annihilation going. Shoot every lane except the lock lane. This will keep increasing the TA jackpot. Then finally shoot the lock lane to grab the TA jackpot and start over.

You may know the rules well, just trying to help on at least something you might not have known.

#4 9 years ago

I scored 52 bil with three RTUs in one game. Owned the machine another 5 years and never approached that again.

A good RTU game will get you 30 bil. You'll start hitting that if you own the game. I always try to get the 5x combo out of the way early, so many games where that was all I needed and ended up draining.

#5 9 years ago

Yikes, and I thought I was doing well at just shy of 2 billion.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

If I remember correctly you have 1 bomb at your disposal for video mode which makes it super easy.

Hold on a sec? Bomb? How do you set it off? I have played the hell out of this game. How did I miss this?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Hold on a sec? Bomb? How do you set it off? I have played the hell out of this game. How did I miss this?

Tap the ball launch button. I use it as a last second save to clear the video mode screen in case a saucer manages to slip by.

#8 9 years ago

How the hell have I missed that all these years. Wtf. Thanks guys.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I think I discovered it by accident at some point. It's not really an obvious feature.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Tap the ball launch button. I use it as a last second save to clear the video mode screen in case a saucer manages to slip by.

Exactly what I do. Only use it for a worst case scenario. Sometimes I fail saving the universe because I take my chances, but I don't want it to be too easy either.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

MM has troll bombs, his the launch button to hit a troll.

I could be wrong, but I believe the launch ball button blinks once you have earned a martian bomb, but when you just start the game and already have a martian bomb ready I don't believe it blinks.

Also when you do the mode to shoot all 4 martian banks to get martian multiball you can use the same martian bomb to kill one of those 4. There has been times for me where I'll have 1 martian left to hit and the ball drains. I'll hit the launch ball button quick to use the bomb killing the last martian. This starts martian multiball so you just saved yourself from losing that ball. Sweet!

#12 9 years ago

Just take the glass cover off. This will solve your problem-lol

#13 9 years ago

I'm blown away at how badly I suck. Here I thought 13 billion was a decent score. Ugh. I had no idea that that's what the martian bombs were for!!! I kept getting 19-22 saucers on the video mode. Also did not know you could use the bomb to blow up the dancing martians! Holy crap! This is an all new game when I get home from work!

#14 9 years ago

U have to earn the bomb for the Martians by hitting the targets spelling Martian a second time after u have the Martian multiball insert already lit. U can also get a bomb in sol random. The video mode save u do get one bomb automatically. Fan pattern left to right non stop. When they sneak through hit the bomb before u get killed. Usually a extra ball comes down in video mode too. Or a cow

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I'm blown away at how badly I suck. Here I thought 13 billion was a decent score. Ugh. I had no idea that that's what the martian bombs were for!!! I kept getting 19-22 saucers on the video mode. Also did not know you could use the bomb to blow up the dancing martians! Holy crap! This is an all new game when I get home from work!

Such a good pin. If you hear a woman say "would you look at the size of that cow" hit the launch button. Little Easter egg.

Mine is sold to make room for MMR. Hopefully I don't regret it.

#16 9 years ago

I might as well mention super skill shot. At the beginning of each ball hold the left flipper button in before launching the ball. You'll see why. Again I have no clue what you do and do not know for the rules.

#17 9 years ago

I have that problem as well. When I first get a machine I play the heck out of it. My high score is something 68 billion. Almost completed three RTU's. Now I'm lucky if I can Rule The Universe once.

#18 9 years ago

Ok. I'm glad I'm not the only person who can't beat their own score. I think I just need to drink a case of Redbull and play all night. I love this game a lot. The flow is great. Fun fast game.

Thank you guys so much for all the info. I tried the bomb last night. Huge difference! Super Skill shot I saw in a youtube video by PAPA.

I haven't gotten the RTU yet. I destroyed Mars but didn't know what to do after that.

I'm definitely going to try to listen for the woman saying "would you look at the size of that cow" thing!

#19 9 years ago

Might be interesting to plot your distribution of scores. Would it be a bell curve that lives at about 50% of your hi-score?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

I might as well mention super skill shot. At the beginning of each ball hold the left flipper button in before launching the ball. You'll see why. Again I have no clue what you do and do not know for the rules.

You make either ramp or outlanes and it awards all three lights instead of one, it makes it quicker to get to total annihilation.
I also lowers blast shield in one hit if it is up.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

had the game for 5 years before i knew what this was.You can use it in the video mode too?

#22 9 years ago

LOL. Well, I'm lucky I asked here. I would have never found out.

#23 9 years ago

I'd recommend a strategy change. Rule the universe is the best way to get those ridiculous 100b scores. If you aren't good enough to get there, then abandon ship and focus on either total annihilation or main multiball over and over. I tend to prefer main multiball, since it's easier to get into and the superjackpot collect makes all values higher for the next round. Really dial in on that lock shot, and if your machine can hold the left flipper up and bounce to a trap on the right, it's a no-brainer. Don't spend balls shooting at the saucer and especially not the forcefield unless you have a lot of extra balls turned on.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

had the game for 5 years before i knew what this was.You can use it in the video mode too?

It's not a 'Martian Bomb" in Video Mode... it's a "one-time-use-kill-everything-on-the-screen" bomb. You don't even need to earn it! It's just a hidden gem!

It also does not take away any Martian Bombs that you may have saved up.

As for Martian Bomb Strategy, DON'T USE THEM right away! Hit as many martians as you can and then use the bombs ONLY if you are about to fail in killing all four Martians. Even if you drain your ball, the bombs will register and the Martian Multiball will start, which essentially gives you a ball save.. Play on!

If you don't use the bombs, they will be there for your next Martian Attack, so do it all again.

Good Luck!

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from MSN22:

You make either ramp or outlanes and it awards all three lights instead of one, it makes it quicker to get to total annihilation.
I also lowers blast shield in one hit if it is up.

it also removes the ability to stack hurryup for 1B at the start of total annihilation though.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

it also removes the ability to stack hurryup for 1B at the start of total annihilation though.

I never came close to doing the 1B hurry up jackpot, but this post is starting to make me feel smart for a change. Hmm.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 21.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-cant-beat-my-own-hi-score and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.