Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yonkiman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo.JPG

#1 4 years ago

Hey Guys. I just got my Attack from Mars and it's awesome! One issue though...

Out of the blue, THE loudest BRRRRRrrrrrrrrAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Noise happened briefly and stopped after 3 seconds. Scared the living crap out of me. I couldn't see any problem or shorts. I reseated every cable and let the machine just sit in the "ON" state. 2 hours later BRRRRRRrrrrrrrAAAAAAAAaa!!!! Same noise but this time, it didn't stop. I opened the back box and moved wires and pressed on all the cable connections. Nothing changed. I opened the playfield up and checked the speaker...no apparent problem visible. I reset the power to the machine and it booted up fine again. I let it sit again and about 45 minutes later, it did it again and wouldn't stop. I have no idea what is going on. I wish I had recorded the sound so I could explain it better but I didn't think about it until just now.

Also, the left speaker is very loud by comparison to the right speaker all the time. It sounds as though the left speaker is blown.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I might be able to check?

photo.JPG
#2 4 years ago

Do you have the attract sound on? And does it do it during game play?

#3 4 years ago

It has never done it during gameplay yet. I've only had the game for 3 days but the entire time I've played, it has not done it. So far, only while sitting idle.

2 weeks later
#4 4 years ago

Any updates? Or a recording of the sound? That might help us troubleshoot if it's still doing it...

5 months later
#5 4 years ago

Any updates? We have the same problem with our AFM, happens also during gameplay..

#6 4 years ago

Do either of you have the 1.1 sound ROM installed? Or 1.0?

#7 4 years ago

We have 1.0, should probably update to 1.1.

#8 4 years ago

I'd try that first, if anyone needs 1.1, please contact me and I'll get you set up.

2 weeks later
#9 4 years ago

I'm having the exact same problem with our AFM. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it really blows your socks off, it's THAT loud.

While discussing this with a friend, it appears he has the exact same problem on his AFM. He also mentioned hearing it from others that this is an issue specifically with AFM. It almost seems to me like this could be a software glitch triggering that 3 second "loud digital noise" occasionally. Or it could be that they used a bad component on the soundboard and that many AFM's around the world are affected.

FYI, my friend and I both have attract mode music turned off on our games, and attract mode sounds turned on (flipper buttons trigger a sound in attract mode). I wondering if that could be related?

Not sure what software version I'm running but fairly sure it's the latest. Will check next Friday.

#10 4 years ago

Holy crap. I thought at first one of the aliens might be sneaking out of Martian Happy Hour but forgot to burp. I'd love to hear this one...

#11 4 years ago

My AFM did this once and has never done it since. Really scared the snot out of me and my wife when it happened.

#12 4 years ago

This has happened to me once...I've also had the sound cut off a couple times during gameplay for a couple seconds and then come back on.

Never really worried about it because it isn't a persistent issue. If it starts to happen more I'll probably just send the board out.

#13 4 years ago

Its a bug in the Revision. Just update to the most recent and BOOM problem fixed. My AFM, and Totan used to to the same thing, read up on it, found out I was running earlier roms, after updating, I haven't had a noise for a year.

#14 4 years ago

But...my high scores!!!!

(30 billion!)

#15 4 years ago

This is a ROM issue. Documented on RGP if I recall.

#16 4 years ago

yeah:

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:25:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 10, 8:09 am, nojun...@xxxxxxx wrote:

On Jun 10, 2:03 pm, maxp...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi, every once in awhile and I mean every few days or so the AFM makes
this horrifically loud buzzing sound from the speakers and scares the
shit out of me. It has happened now about 5 times over the past month.
the machine is on location and on all of the time so I know it is not
happening every hour or even every day...
the buzz lasts only a few seconds and has happened when in attract
mode and also while someone has been playing it. the game did not
reset or restart when the person was playing... it just freaked him
out. its very loud.
any help on this would or ideas on where to start looking be greatly
apprecaited.
thx, Max

Hi there,

If I am not mistaken you need to get the S2 sound rom 1.1 which fixes
just this issue:

http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/afm.txt

#17 4 years ago

Wouldn't your battery RAM data remain in-tact?

#18 4 years ago

Sound ROM upgrades won't wipe high scores - and you can save a few bucks buying it from me versus Action Pinball if you'd like to support a pinsider

#19 4 years ago

I've always bought my ROMs from Action. Now I know who to go to next time.

#20 4 years ago

And if you order the updated sound ROM, you should also make sure you get the latest 1.13 ROM (if you don't have it already). Particularly if you have or ever want to get the ColorDMD display (ColorDMD works with earlier ROMs but some of the onscreen text is miscolored due to minor positioning changes between the ROM versions).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
The Oc, CA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 30.00
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 239.00
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
7,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Prairie Village, KS
$ 89.99
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
5,500 (Firm)
€ 3.70

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside