AFM Chip (resized).JPG
AFM Lightboard (resized).JPG
E2CF6D09-500B-4D0A-8755-20561560AF98 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0673 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0674 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0671 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
20210824_163410 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Onwallst.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1131 8 months ago
Quoted from RTS:

I'm not sure it's easier to repair if it breaks, but the modern LE remake looks better.
For the same money, the LE made the original less desirable to me. Perhaps the purists prefer the original, but side by side, AFMLE green is the best version out there. That topper isn't just a visual upgrade. It adds excitement when you play.

Go to the remake page. The remakes suck. They don’t play the same period. I have owned both. The playfield colors don’t match and they dimple like the moon. The leds are easy change. If you played a “dark” one that is because of the lighting they had in it. I would put mine against any remake junk. Only the topper on the remake LE is cool until you play and sounds like a mechanical nightmare or kitchen appliance. A lot of remake sellers buying originals thus none around. I have had multiple friends. They love the remake until someone shows them the flaws and they play.

#1132 8 months ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Go to the remake page. The remakes suck. They don’t play the same period. I have owned both. The playfield colors don’t match and they dimple like the moon. The leds are easy change. If you played a “dark” one that is because of the lighting they had in it. I would mine against any remake junk. Only the topper on the remake LE is cool until you play and sounds like a mechanical nightmare or a kitchen appliance. People are bailing on the fake remakes and buying the original backs. Also no unrepairable node boards.

#1141 8 months ago
Quoted from djreddog:

For those of you who have an original and are missing out on the XL display, there is a guy in NJ who makes a mod for you to upgrade your original to an XL display.

The mmr upgrade kit that they sell for the display and sounds works to modify both mbr and afmr. No the display isn’t better than color dmd. Mine says Bally and boots right up. You have to have a computer screen saw that. Yes the flippers are off as posted above. Yes the delay was improved but not fixed. The remake playfield does not not line up to original. They are different and aren’t interchangeable. It isn’t the same game. That afmr I had was a nightmare. Again this is a AFM thread not a AFMr thread. I now have two friends looking for original AFM. The one is selling his AFMr LE to get the original. Once you see the difference you don’t go back.

#1143 8 months ago
Quoted from DaveH:

My issue with the remake was the flippers. When it came out and I played it, they just felt wrong. It was a timing thing. But I realized it was the same thing I felt playing games from different eras and systems. If I had bought a remake, I’m sure I would have adjusted. However, then a solid original fell into my lap, so I bought it.
As for the other stuff, like colors on the playfield, a bit of dimpling, all sound minor to me. If someone loves a game, but then you pointing out that a color doesn’t match the one on a 25 year old game, so now they hate it, they have other issues.

It wasn’t just the color didn’t match the older games, it was the ribbing on the playfeild also, I went through three plastic sets that the paint cracked, the colors were different on every AFMr playfield. None matched each other. My playfield was so soft it would dimple deep and clear coat fisheye. If I buy something new it should be better or the same as a 25 year old game. The remakes did drive down the prices which was helpful.

#1144 8 months ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

^Agree, I played the remake and not as good but found MMR exceptable.

Mmr they spent years getting the play and look as close to the original. They did a good job. Washed playfield insert was only complaint. First ones were made by stern not at cgc factory. After mmr they said let’s spend money on a lights, display, topper and speakers. Give the bling as most don’t understand the play. MBr play is worst the AFMr. They are nearly a different game. Don’t get me wrong, a remake is better than a worn out beat up original. But a good original blows it out of the water.

#1145 8 months ago
Quoted from RTS:

You sound really upset. As long you're very happy with your game, that's what matters.
No reason to attack the remake unless you're trying to convince yourself. I had the choice to buy either edition. The display is better on the remake too, not just the topper.

I have owned both. Sold my original. I then bought the LE at launch. Played and was not right. ImThen had a lot of issues with the remake. Adjusted remake constantly. Played a lot on remake at distributor and expo to see if my remake played the same. Buddy’s remakes played the same. Once confirmed I bought an original. Played both and sold the remake. Nothing to convince. Anyone who played both easily could decide. The display is bigger not better. The color dmd is good that is made for the original. Has different modes including hires. I even bought another original AFM when it came up for sale. Yes speaker upgrade is a must on the originals.

#1148 8 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I must have joined the wrong club. I thought this thread was for Bally AFM owners.

It is suppose to be the BALLY AFM owners club not Chicago Gaming AFMr owners club. CGC AFMr has it own owners club. No longer post there since I am not in the CLUB.

#1159 8 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Create a new thread.

Agreed! Did we find out the topper question issue on the original afm?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Onwallst.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside