New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 86826)

Attack from Mars [AFM] - martians club

By OlDirty

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,025 posts
  • 213 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Kevlar51
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 540 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4D29F33D-5E44-4DA7-B813-14F549A44016 (resized).jpeg
DDFAD090-D26E-408F-A40B-0540D81F0EAD (resized).jpeg
8893265C-3B27-433C-A364-641D2D284499 (resized).jpeg
0CCF0CE9-AA83-4E8A-A86E-BFAAF645EFB8 (resized).jpeg
8C9104E9-8778-4E0F-8591-C12D368DA1A0 (resized).jpeg
849FA733-ABC5-40C8-9C12-DAE09EF9ED91 (resized).jpeg
AC26270F-6327-47B6-84FD-9BB68B5C73DD (resized).jpeg
993258C3-F6E7-4E7C-8ADD-84C26F1DEC33 (resized).jpeg
592AA0E7-F3DB-4F47-8E3F-A3C550DB3401 (resized).jpeg
A39A5C93-0A9F-42D5-8C14-AF8C4ED633FE (resized).jpeg
Attack-From-Mars-Art-Blades-Thumbnail (resized).jpg
52519044-4293-4D63-9772-C8A26BAF05F1 (resized).jpeg
8E5094C1-EA88-425E-A646-DA895B78970F (resized).jpeg
1372C238-1096-4E5A-9FF6-4E4958117887 (resized).jpeg
78B3EC0F-FDF9-41AC-9175-ECAEB0FFFF5E (resized).jpeg
F0E60095-7716-4E11-A296-65CC101A8635 (resized).jpeg

There are 1025 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 21.
#251 3 years ago

So I am putting this Attack from Mars back together and have one cable left over. It has a label on it that says H-20723 and is connected to various connectors in the backbox. The other end has a five by three connector on it. In the manual it has lots of references to flashers but I can't find where to put this 15-pin connector???

Does anybody know where it goes?

IMG_5420 (resized).JPG

#252 3 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

So I am putting this Attack from Mars back together and have one cable left over. It has a label on it that says H-20723 and is connected to various connectors in the backbox. The other end has a five by three connector on it. In the manual it has lots of references to flashers but I can't find where to put this 15-pin connector???
Does anybody know where it goes?

Backbox lighting....

#253 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Backbox lighting....

Wow. I cleaned the translite and it's standing upstairs. Been looking for that plug for more than an hour. Thanks!

#254 3 years ago

^^^ I did that once before, not for hours but quite a while. Then I said I'm just going to put it back together and see what doesn't work.

#255 3 years ago

So.............this happened tonight.

20170325_002920 (resized).jpg20170325_002955 (resized).jpg20170325_002957 (resized).jpg

Completed RTU 3x.

The biggest game on AFM I have ever had by far. Holy smokes.

I think I'll let the game chill for a week before I play it again....! Man, I LOVE this game.

#256 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

So.............this happened tonight.

Completed RTU 3x.
The biggest game on AFM I have ever had by far. Holy smokes.
I think I'll let the game chill for a week before I play it again....! Man, I LOVE this game.

Not sure how thats even possible.... how the hell do u have your game set up?

#257 3 years ago

10balls and easy settings .Great score

1 week later
#258 3 years ago

Here's a first look at my new Larry the Lobster Mod for Attack from Mars.
It is triggered by the Big-O-Beam 2 insert on the playfield but the software in my controller will ignore the insert when in attract mode.
When you hit the Big-O-Beam ramp shot and the DMD shows the Lobster getting shot with the beam and growing extremely large, that's when Larry the Lobster (yeah.. that's what I named him) comes to life. When other modes are activated or saucers are destroyed Larry will move around and his body and claws glow red.
I'm thinking about adding a cow getting sucked up by a tractor beam on the other ramp but haven't quite figured out the details for that one yet.

#259 3 years ago

Neat mod .....

#260 3 years ago

Larry is friggin awesome.

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

Here's a first look at my new Larry the Lobster Mod for Attack from Mars.
It is triggered by the Big-O-Beam 2 insert on the playfield but the software in my controller will ignore the insert when in attract mode.
When you hit the Big-O-Beam ramp shot and the DMD shows the Lobster getting shot with the beam and growing extremely large, that's when Larry the Lobster (yeah.. that's what I named him) comes to life. When other modes are activated or saucers are destroyed Larry will move around and his body and claws glow red.
I'm thinking about adding a cow getting sucked up by a tractor beam on the other ramp but haven't quite figured out the details for that one yet.
» YouTube video

Great lobster How did you make his claws move ? a little servo motor I guess, but did you have to make a pcb board to go with it? I would love to know the details

#262 3 years ago

Are we going to allow AFMr owners in here? Or is it just for owners of originals?

#263 3 years ago

Anyone have an extra lobster ramp or mothership cap lying around? Shoot me a PM.

#264 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Are we going to allow AFMr owners in here? Or is it just for owners of originals?

we are already here

#265 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

we are already here

Crap. I'm out.

#266 3 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Great lobster How did you make his claws move ? a little servo motor I guess, but did you have to make a pcb board to go with it? I would love to know the details

Thanks! There are two servos (one for each arm). I control them with a servo controller board I developed to control mods. You can read more about it in this link. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tilt-mods-deluxe-bring-your-mods-to-life

I'm trying to get an idea how many are interested in ordering Larry so I can order some inventory. Please PM me so we don't muddy up this thread. Cost will be $79.99

#267 3 years ago

Hey, could you post a few pics of Larry with the lights on from a player's, perspective? I can't tell exactly how big he is, or if he obstructs the view of anything from the dark video. Thanks! Is he mounted over the VUK? I love the side to side claw dance move, man.

#268 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Hey, could you post a few pics of Larry with the lights on from a player's, perspective? I can't tell exactly how big he is, or if he obstructs the view of anything from the dark video. Thanks! Is he mounted over the VUK? I love the side to side claw dance move, man.

#269 3 years ago

LOL

#270 3 years ago

lol took me a couple of reads to get the joke.

Here's a picture from the players perspective. Larry doesn't block the view of any of the shots. He's mounted a little bit to the left of the VUK.
20170331_234527 (resized).jpg

Here's an overhead shot.
20170329_222453 (resized).jpg

#271 3 years ago

I can't wait to see what you do with a cow. Oh, pleasepleasePLEASE make the udder light up!

#272 3 years ago

Thanks for the pics. PM sent!

#273 3 years ago

A+ for the build, but D for the lobster. Wayyy too big. Overpowers the playfield.

#274 3 years ago

It is kinda big, but it's hysterical. If a 2/3 that size were available it would be perfect.

#275 3 years ago

Yzfguy texted me and told me he's actually buying it to use as a hood ornament on his white-trash-mobile.

#276 3 years ago

Want to see what an $1100 box look like??? Sure - here you go!!!

20170404_172548 (resized).jpg

Getting time to do a PF swap soon....for the second time since February

#277 3 years ago

I am now convinced (for me at least) that AFM is the greatest pinball game of all-time.
There are deeper games and there are prettier games and harder games but this one was original, humorous, challenging, colorful with great shots and fun ruleset. Just a home-run in every aspect.

#278 3 years ago

Has anyone sold or seen a confirmed sale of an AFM since the announcement of the pricing on the remake?

#279 3 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Has anyone sold or seen a confirmed sale of an AFM since the announcement of the pricing on the remake?

Ive had some really good offers on mine since i mentioned i may get a new le. But i decided i like things on tbe original better and mine is one of the nicest original un restored ones ive seen.

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ive had some really good offers on mine since i mentioned i may get a new le. But i decided i like things on tbe original better and mine is one of the nicest original un restored ones ive seen.

solid offers meaning people are still at "pre-AFMr pricing" or are you looking at taking a hit? I see a lot of talk like this lately "well geeez, I can just order a brand new shiny AFMr classic for 6500 so I don't think I can justify over that for a very well restored original."

#281 3 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

solid offers meaning people are still at "pre-AFMr pricing" or are you looking at taking a hit? I see a lot of talk like this lately "well geeez, I can just order a brand new shiny AFMr classic for 6500 so I don't think I can justify over that for a very well restored original."

Offers of 6500-7 k and mine has lots of mods including color dmd. I think they were fair offers considering that a nib standard with shipping and color is 7300.. i still like things on the original better as do many other people so we will pay up for a nice original one. So glad i came to my senses tho and decided to keep what i have .

1 week later
#282 3 years ago

I just got a AFM repro playfield from Mirco and i'm 100% satisfied. Years ago many people complained about the too thick ceramic clear on the playfield. It now doesn't have this clear anymore, but the same which is on the WOZ playfields.
Unfortunately the colors look pretty faded on those pics and video. The green color and red ar poping when seen live. The colors are really nice in my opinion.

DSC08712 (resized).JPG
DSC08723 (resized).JPG

and here you see a comparison video of my AFM and WOZ playfields

#283 3 years ago

I'm having an issue every now and then where the 3-bank will drop (seemingly at random) and the first hit in behind the drop target will give dirty pool and then every hit after that will just pop up from the VUK. Power cycling fixes the issue, but I can't figure out what's causing it in the first place.

Also, is there a readme for the code versions? I'm curious what each version changed as well as the difference between the 1.13 and 1.13b ROMs. Mine is on location if that matters. Why is 1.13 3MB and 1.13b 364KB?

#284 3 years ago

Larry the Lobster now in stock and available for purchase on my website. www.timspinballmods.com

#285 3 years ago

Had a bet to see who could RTU first. Had to complete objective inserts from left to right. Here was my final attempt for the day.

NSFW- language

#286 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Had a bet to see who could RTU first. Had to complete objective inserts from left to right. Here was my final attempt for the day.
NSFW- language
» YouTube video

Wow! That was impressive. Great game!

#287 3 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Wow! That was impressive. Great game!

Thanks, I had tried to do it numerous times before but always lit something out of order. I did reset the game to factory settings at the beginning of the full stream and outlanes were wide open. Shot to start RTU was a rush.

#288 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Thanks, I had tried to do it numerous times before but always lit something out of order. I did reset the game to factory settings at the beginning of the full stream and outlanes were wide open. Shot to start RTU was a rush.

RTU is hard enough, but intentionally completing the objective inserts in order while doing it was amazing. Glad you got it on video, it was fun to watch!

#289 3 years ago

Flawless victory!!!

1 month later
#290 3 years ago

After I owned this game for more than 4 months. I am playing it almost everyday but only reached the Rule The Universe once . Until now I can still found a new surprise. Today I finished the video mode. I didn't know there is a mother ship at the end and it took 80 shots to destroy it. Wow! I think this is very cool.

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinrookie:

I didn't know there is a mother ship at the end and it took 80 shots to destroy it. Wow! I think this is very cool.

save your smart bomb for it - done in 1 shot!

#292 3 years ago

Just got done changing a faulty drop target switch as the old one had finally given up the ghost. After putting it back in, I wanted to do a quick test.

Yeah........... that might have been my best "ball 1" ever.

20170616_224316 (resized).jpg

Kind of reminds me of the quote by Tom Cruise from The Color of Money:

It's like a nightmare.....it just keeps getting worse and worse.

For the machine that is .

3 weeks later
#293 3 years ago

i am in the club! Anybody installed on AFM LED OCD board?

#294 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

i am in the club! Anybody installed on AFM LED OCD board?

I did - looked ace!

This game really benefitted.

3 weeks later
#295 3 years ago

This is my version of backboard decal IMG_8182 (resized).JPG

#296 3 years ago

Looks great vbobrusev!
Do you have any pics of it installed?

#297 3 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

Looks great vbobrusev!
Do you have any pics of it installed?

Not yet. I am restoring playfield. Will post it when I am finish my restore project

#298 3 years ago

image (resized).jpg this is just regular sleeve for cables? Or it have special function, like refractory sleeve or something else?

Thanks.

2 weeks later
#299 3 years ago

Hi! I have 2 issues on my AFM.

First it's very flickering LED in my backbox on Green and White-Green chanel. Other LED's in Backbox not flickering...
Second, after clearing inside backbox DMD not showing data. i think ribbon cable is die... but all wires beep's. also i beep ribbon cables from CPU, they good too... Sound working fine, but no image on DMD. looks like no data on ribbon cable.

Any ideas?

2 weeks later
#300 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

This is my version of backboard decal

Where can a fella get one of these?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 37.50
$ 249.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Habos Arcade
$ 50.00
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodcliff Lake, NJ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 47.95
Lighting - Interactive
MicksPinball
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 47.95
Lighting - Interactive
MicksPinball
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 89.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1025 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside