• 2,247 posts
  • 309 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 hours ago by slizzap
  • Topic is favorited by 180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_imageSection	Item	Description	Factory Setting	Value A.1 Standard Adjustments	34	Allow Chase Ball	YES	YES (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1492 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5572 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5549 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5563 (resized).jpeg
DSC00938 (resized).JPG
IMG_0563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 45.
#151 7 years ago

Few mor pics after redoing all the leds and waxing everything 20160907_003756 (resized).jpg20160907_003756 (resized).jpg20160907_003454 (resized).jpg20160907_003454 (resized).jpg

#152 7 years ago

New goal is to get RTU in order of the objective inserts. Was close today but hit the 5 way combo before destroying Mars.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#153 7 years ago

Hey guys, anyone have both the Pinbits Blackout mod AND the Bill Ung saucer mod? How did you introduce both of these to your AFM? Anyone have a picture of these two mods in your AFM and how they are introduced to the factory wiring?

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Hey guys, anyone have both the Pinbits Blackout mod AND the Bill Ung saucer mod? How did you introduce both of these to your AFM? Anyone have a picture of these two mods in your AFM and how they are introduced to the factory wiring?

If you also use Bills expansion kit, you don't use the blackout from pinbits, the expansion kit does the blackout.

#155 7 years ago

Where exactly is the scoop supposed to kick the ball to on the left flipper?

#156 7 years ago

The 3 I have owned all hit mid to top 1/3 of the flipper. Should return in a manner it's easy enough to control the ball

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

If you also use Bills expansion kit, you don't use the blackout from pinbits, the expansion kit does the blackout.

If that is the case, do you still swap J105 and J106 (like the Pinbits mod), or do you keep all connectors in their original locations?

#158 7 years ago

Can anyone comment on the durability of laminated playfield decals from planetary pinball? Was told they would wear out in less than a year with home use without clearcoating over them. Thoughts?

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from twisty4678:

Can anyone comment on the durability of laminated playfield decals from planetary pinball? Was told they would wear out in less than a year with home use without clearcoating over them. Thoughts?

If you get a year out of them, you got your money's worth.

They are just stickers.

1 week later
#160 7 years ago

Must say the goz mod is simple but a great upgrade and wld highly recommend it

1 month later
#161 7 years ago

Hey all. Does much happen in this club? Just joined and my first B/W. Very psyched. Thought it would be a bit more active, being such a huge name, but maybe everyone is busy playing rather than making internet noise about it. Played to death back in the day, but thought it would be cool to finally add to the basement.

#162 7 years ago

Strangely it is very quiet. I also thought there would be a bit more happening in this club. I guess many of the AFM are restored in very good condition with little going wrong.

#163 7 years ago

Not much to post bc its one the best pins ever and theres nothing else to really be said. Also many people dont own it bc its a pretty elite club compared to say bsd or getaway that have a ton of activity bc of the price . Its my personal favorite pin bc of the rule set, best flow , funny as hell, great bash toy and the strobe mb in complete darkness is such fun....
The mb, cc club's are the same way it seems.

1 week later
#164 7 years ago

I'm in the club! This was Gabe's from Pintastic. Some of you might have played it over the summer.
20161109_183904 (resized).jpg20161109_183904 (resized).jpg

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

I'm in the club! This was Gabe's from Pintastic. Some of you might have played it over the summer.

His loss your gain.... probably the best overall pin made imo. You loving it? Make sure to open up the outlanes and put it at 7.0 degrees.... makes it much more enjoyable in home use. Also make sure all the green targets have foam on them as it really helps with airballs

#166 7 years ago

I am loving it. The left control gate needs some lovin' It's not lifting 100%. The saucer has an LED out that prob needs some solder but other then that it's great! Got to total annihilation and put up 8 Bil in the first day. It will take me awhile to rule the universe

#167 7 years ago

BTW - I love the pingraffix on the apron - didn't think I would like it as much as I do in person. It's bright and attractive.

I will be asking for advice on re-decaling it in the spring - so TIA

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

I am loving it. The left control gate needs some lovin' It's not lifting 100%. The saucer has an LED out that prob needs some solder but other then that it's great! Got to total annihilation and put up 8 Bil in the first day. It will take me awhile to rule the universe

I love the way mine plays bc i have yet to beat mars or rule the universe after 500-600 games but have come close.... total annihilation is great as is the strobe mb in complete darkness. I commented on your fb post also.... u sld definitely go ahead and get the gozmod for mothership since u have a led out and definitely get the pinbits blackout mod for afm and all wpc95 pins for that matter

#169 7 years ago

I have some saucer LEDs if you need one.

#170 7 years ago

Also get all the cliffys if u dont have them ...i see u have front scoop one but does it have back one ? Also recommend the motorized target bank and mothership/drop target one?

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I love the way mine plays bc i have yet to beat mars or rule the universe after 500-600 games but have come close.... total annihilation is great as is the strobe mb in complete darkness. I commented on your fb post also.... u sld definitely go ahead and get the gozmod for mothership since u have a led out and definitely get the pinbits blackout mod for afm and all wpc95 pins for that matter

It's a keeper so I will be looking into those mods soon. Need to sell my STLE... If anyone is interested.
Thank you for your kind words on FB too!

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I have some saucer LEDs if you need one.

Thanks. It lights when wiggled so I think it just needs a little solder. But I might take you up on that if it's worse than I think.

The left gate confuses me cause I already adjusted it and it was working so I will investigate tomorrow.

What a great game! Love the original promo video too!

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Also get all the cliffys if u dont have them ...i see u have front scoop one but does it have back one ? Also recommend the motorized target bank and mothership/drop target one?

Also the stroke of luck cliffy is lifting. Need to look at that.
Cliff now has carbon fiber for flat protectors. I strongly recommend them. My carbon fiber WOZ thrown room hasn't lifted a millimeter in 3 years.

#174 7 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Also the stroke of luck cliffy is lifting. Need to look at that.
Cliff now has carbon fiber for flat protectors. I strongly recommend them. My carbon fiber WOZ thrown room hasn't lifted a millimeter in 3 years.

Its probably lifted bc whoever put it on more than likely was lazy and didn't repair the missing wood underneath it.... and over time the cliffy will deform bc of the hollow space underneath it. It sld be fixed right or you can use a mantis and cliffy combined like i do on high wear scoops like afm, mb, cftbl and some others but it still sld be repaired correctly.

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

If that is the case, do you still swap J105 and J106 (like the Pinbits mod), or do you keep all connectors in their original locations?

So I'll answer my own question for posterity's sake: you DO flip the connectors. If you don't, the Pinbits black-out mod will NOT work as it should.

#176 7 years ago

Its funny hearing the talk about the price of the new afmr and what it sld be. People saying u can get a original one for 7k or less is somewhat true but for a nice one without fade and color dmd and other upgrades it will be near 8k . So I really don't think a AFMr will be lower than 7500-8k and that will probably have upgraded color , shaker, powdercoated and probably some other upgrades . So for me a new afmr for around 8k wld be a good deal imo for probably the best overall pin ever made

#177 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its funny hearing the talk about the price of the new afmr and what it sld be. People saying u can get a original one for 7k or less is somewhat true but for a nice one without fade and color dmd and other upgrades it will be near 8k . So I really don't think a AFMr will be lower than 7500-8k and that will probably have upgraded color , shaker, powdercoated and probably some other upgrades . So for me a new afmr for around 8k wld be a good deal imo for probably the best overall pin ever made

The way NIB prices are going I wouldn't be surprised if it was $12,500 or something crazy like that.

#178 7 years ago

The longer people wait to buy one, the higher the price will get.

I am so happy to own my grail game.

#179 7 years ago

Hi all, Me and my son Drove 12 hrs last week to Phoenix Arizona to pick up this beauty. Bought this from pinsider AKA Modman who made these beautiful saucer modes out of billet aluminum. This is a ground up restoration which looks beautiful. I just ordered CLIFFY hole protectors to protect the new playfield. My wife thought I was crazy to purchase, but once I returned home and she saw and played it she just loves the game. Very fun to play.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#180 7 years ago

Man, a lot of AFMs coming home after Expo. Good to see .

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from Oilrat:

Hi all, Me and my son Drove 12 hrs last week to Phoenix Arizona to pick up this beauty. Bought this from pinsider AKA Modman who made these beautiful saucer modes out of billet aluminum. This is a ground up restoration which looks beautiful. I just ordered CLIFFY hole protectors to protect the new playfield. My wife thought I was crazy to purchase, but once I returned home and she saw and played it she just loves the game. Very fun to play.

You did great on that purchase.... i was considering it but hate shipping such a beautiful pin. Its seriously one the best pins ever made and is more fun than tz and mm ....i do love monster bash tho

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from Oilrat:

Definitely buy all the cliffys they make for it and also the pinbits blackout mod is a must for afm bc of the strobe mb feature....

#183 7 years ago

Oh thanks, I have been hunting for the shaker motor kit but it seems to be sold out or discontinued everywhere I was almost going to buy a MM instead but loved the gameplay on AFM. I think MM will be next but the prices are crazy especially for the original.

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from Oilrat:

Oh thanks, I have been hunting for the shaker motor kit but it seems to be sold out or discontinued everywhere I was almost going to buy a MM instead but loved the gameplay on AFM. I think MM will be next but the prices are crazy especially for the original.

Yep been waiting for them to be in stock forever also.....

#185 7 years ago

Anybody having experience using a playfield protector on AFM?
I have this very Nice restored original
Pf, wich is going to be installed in my pin.
I want this pf stay the way it is now..
So I am thinking of build up the pf using a pf protector...
Only thing is.... would it stil play the same...
I have heard Some good And bad things About these protectors..
But it depence on what title its used on
Or peoples different opinions..

I am in serious doubt And Can use Some advice

#186 7 years ago

I can't recommend the cliffy protector on the back entry of the SOL. I removed my one again because of balls stopping at the cliffys edge. The one in the front is no problem.
My playfield is also restored, but i play it without any protector. On the CFTBL and AC/DC i have playfield protectors installed and i'm happy with those, but the feeling changes to a softer ball roll. Some hate the protectors some are happy with it.

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from OlDirty:

I can't recommend the cliffy protector on the back entry of the SOL. I removed my one again because of balls stopping at the cliffys edge. The one in the front is no problem.
My playfield is also restored, but i play it without any protector. On the CFTBL and AC/DC i have playfield protectors installed and i'm happy with those, but the feeling changes to a softer ball roll. Some hate the protectors some are happy with it.

Took that one off also....it seems that it isn't useful anyway...the ball is only falling into that hole and mine had no wear on that edge to begin with.

2 weeks later
#188 7 years ago

Just favorited this thread, so this is my first look--apologies if this long-ago-post was solved earlier, but this was the case in the game I picked up (difficult to get center ramp shots to make it over the rise). Inspection of the metal guide/ramp interface revealed that the plastic ramp wall was installed in front of the metal guide, so the ball would scream around the guide and strike the ramp wall, dampening the shot big time. A simple realignment of the ramp (so the rear wall was outside of the guide) did the trick.

Quoted from deljaso:

If I hit a hard shot to that ramp when the diverter is open (lock not lit), the ball sometimes acts like it is hitting something behind the mother ship and comes back down the ramp entrance.
I can't find anything that looks like it is in the way. The only thing I can figure out is that the end of the metal diverter is slightly out from the plastic ramp. Like a hard shot that goes all the way around the guide is directed into the opposite side of the ramp (the side closer to the front of the machine).

#189 7 years ago

I wouldn't put a cliffy on the SOL if it is in really nice shape - I would go for the Mantis protector.

https://mantispinball.com/product-category/attack-from-mars/

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from Oilrat:

Oh thanks, I have been hunting for the shaker motor kit but it seems to be sold out or discontinued everywhere

Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep been waiting for them to be in stock forever also.....

I plan on buying a stern shaker (looks like they're about $120) and modifying it to work with my AFM. Might not get around to it until the new year, though. If/when I do it I'll be sure to let everyone know how to do it. If anyone knows of a better/cheaper shaker to start with, please let me know.

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

I plan on buying a stern shaker (looks like they're about $120) and modifying it to work with my AFM. Might not get around to it until the new year, though. If/when I do it I'll be sure to let everyone know how to do it. If anyone knows of a better/cheaper shaker to start with, please let me know.

Cointakers has both the ones they carry on sale... i love the red tremors bc they shake alot....be awesome if you cld find a way to get them to work with bally /williams pins....

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from centre-drain:

Can you join this illustrious club if you did a conversion fron another title?NBA-FB to AFM.

Dude, I would say you truly *earned* the right to be in the club!

#193 7 years ago

Has anybody on here ever made it to RTU with no extra balls, open outlanes, and tight tilt? I have never been able to do it. With extra balls turned on I found it too easy and my best score was around 42B. But with EB's off I've never made it to RTU and my best score is around 18B.

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Has anybody on here ever made it to RTU with no extra balls, open outlanes, and tight tilt? I have never been able to do it. With extra balls turned on I found it too easy and my best score was around 42B. But with EB's off I've never made it to RTU and my best score is around 18B.

I set mine up with open outlanes, no EBs, medium tilt, and harder software settings (no extra hits on 3-bank for near misses, 6 shots to start the first MB). It took me quite a lot of attempts, but I was able to RTU. I'm sure a tighter tilt would have made it even harder or maybe impossible for me.

#195 7 years ago

Nope ive never made it to the end eaither Mine is set up on hard, 7 degrees, open outlanes and very hard to get extra ball. You almost need to set b/w pins this way or it be to easy to bet them and then they wld get boring quickly.....

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I had lots of issues with the back cliffy it created a ball hang up and you would have to shake the game and take a tilt warning alot of the time to get it over the protector, so i just removed it in the end the front one is where it takes all the wear anyway, not the back.

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from Faith452:

I had lots of issues with the back cliffy it created a ball hang up and you would have to shake the game and take a tilt warning alot of the time to get it over the protector, so i just removed it in the end the front one is where it takes all the wear anyway, not the back.

Ditto. Same scenario and the back lip has no damage anyway.

#198 7 years ago

The backside can get beat up also.... not as bad as front but damaged none the less.afmSOLbefore (resized).jpgafmSOLbefore (resized).jpg

#199 7 years ago

Quoted from bigd1979:The backside can get beat up also.... not as bad as front but damaged none the less.

That extra special screw stuck in at an angle must have an interesting story associated with it.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

That extra special screw stuck in at an angle must have an interesting story associated with it.

Not my pin lol.... found it online..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Wanted
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

There are 2,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome/page/4?hl=oilrat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.