• 2,246 posts
  • 309 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by slizzap
  • Topic is favorited by 180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_imageSection	Item	Description	Factory Setting	Value A.1 Standard Adjustments	34	Allow Chase Ball	YES	YES (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1492 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5572 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5549 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5563 (resized).jpeg
DSC00938 (resized).JPG
IMG_0563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,246 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 45.
#1651 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If coil and spring attaching diverter to plunger below playfield. If it works in test with high power interlock held in. Then read the error codes in the manual for what has to happen, so you don't get the error.
The game doesn't know what a diverter is, it does know if a switch past it has been hit or not.
LTG : )

The diverter operates in the test menu now and I tried to clear the fault. From my understanding, you roll the ball up the lock ramp on the left of the saucer.
First time it should come back to the flipper. Second time it should get snatched for lock. Then repeat...flipper...lock...flipper...lock.

What really happens, is the 1st ball goes to the flipper, then after that, the ball keeps getting locked. What switch needs to be hit in order for the diverter to close?

#1652 2 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

The diverter operates in the test menu now and I tried to clear the fault. From my understanding, you roll the ball up the lock ramp on the left of the saucer.
First time it should come back to the flipper. Second time it should get snatched for lock. Then repeat...flipper...lock...flipper...lock.
What really happens, is the 1st ball goes to the flipper, then after that, the ball keeps getting locked. What switch needs to be hit in order for the diverter to close?

It’s operating correctly (for default settings). The first multiball is flipper lock lock lock. After that it’s flipper lock flipper lock flipper lock.

#1653 2 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

To get the first MB is flipper, lock, lock, lock (as Kevlar51 posted)
however to get the MB the second and any subsequent time is flipper, lock, flipper, lock, flipper, lock

#1654 2 years ago

Had a great game the other day, hadn’t played it for a while. Turn on and had one game
I always play better after a couple of beers!

1B71B721-C193-4848-AC7F-5CC846BE5280 (resized).jpeg1B71B721-C193-4848-AC7F-5CC846BE5280 (resized).jpeg
#1655 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

It’s operating correctly (for default settings). The first multiball is flipper lock lock lock. After that it’s flipper lock flipper lock flipper lock.

Quoted from Manny65:

To get the first MB is flipper, lock, lock, lock (as Kevlar51 posted)
however to get the MB the second and any subsequent time is flipper, lock, flipper, lock, flipper, lock

Thank you, I did not know that. Must be why I'm not able to clear the error because I'm stopping after the 1st MB. I'll try again tonight.

#1656 2 years ago

That cleared the error! Thanks you for the info!

1 week later
#1657 2 years ago

Just had the scores on my AFM reset on their own. The GC score is still there but all the others are gone.

Anyone know what could of caused this? Or what I should look for to find out why this happened?

#1658 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Just had the scores on my AFM reset on their own. The GC score is still there but all the others are gone.
Anyone know what could of caused this? Or what I should look for to find out why this happened?

There is a setting for score resets every X number of games. Take a look at B.3-33 H.S.T.D. Reset Count (I always set mine to 0/off - I don't recall the exact option to disable). I believe this controls resets on all high scores except for the grand champion.

#1659 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

There is a setting for score resets every X number of games. Take a look at B.3-33 H.S.T.D. Reset Count (I always set mine to 0/off - I don't recall the exact option to disable). I believe this controls resets on all high scores except for the grand champion.

Well tickle me pink! I wasn't aware of that. Thanks Tantrum!

#1660 2 years ago

nearly there....

received_1155022435253296 (resized).jpegreceived_1155022435253296 (resized).jpegreceived_436607554910590 (resized).jpegreceived_436607554910590 (resized).jpegreceived_492653215635044 (resized).jpegreceived_492653215635044 (resized).jpeg
#1661 2 years ago

B.3-33 H.S.T.D. Reset Count is the book keeping for that setting. I had to go into A - adjustments to set it to zero, FYI.

#1662 2 years ago

Any one looking to sell both pairs of power blades? Also looking for acrylic alt translight.

#1663 2 years ago
Quoted from jrh7:

B.3-33 H.S.T.D. Reset Count is the book keeping for that setting. I had to go into A - adjustments to set it to zero, FYI.

Thanks. Just set it to 0.

#1664 2 years ago

Can anyone confirm the correct coil to be installed in the left VUK? My machine has an AE-25-1000 installed (see below).
IMG_7077 (resized).JPGIMG_7077 (resized).JPG
Page 2-23 of the manual says it should be AE-23-800 and the solenoid table on page 3-5 says it is AE-26-800. I am wondering if this incorrect(?) installed coil is responsible for the deformation of the scoop weldment?
IMG_7079 (resized).JPGIMG_7079 (resized).JPG

#1665 2 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

My machine has an AE-25-1000 installed

Weaker coil.

Quoted from Deleenhe:

Page 2-23 of the manual says it should be AE-23-800 and the solenoid table on page 3-5 says it is AE-26-800.

Either one is stronger, 800 turns.

Quoted from Deleenhe:

I am wondering if this incorrect(?) installed coil is responsible for the deformation of the scoop weldment?

No, 27 years of balls hitting it did this.

#1666 2 years ago

The ball sometimes bounces back into the vuk on mine, I wonder if my coil is wrong

#1667 2 years ago

I've always found rationalizing coil strength (its magnetic field) to be a confusing topic. The equations for coil power don't actually take wire gauge into account, but it indirectly effects the results because the resistance of the wire changes and that can alter the current, and current is part of the magnetic field equation. Which is what happens in our pinball application as we have a constant supply voltage so changing the coil resistance changes its current and thus its power.

The other things that come into play when determining the mag field:
1) The physical coil Length (like our voltage situation, all 3 coils have effectively the same length as they fit the same mechanism)
2) Permeability (again, we are not changing the plunger)

Since most of the other equation elements stay fixed in our application, it really boils down to how we change the current when we replace the coil, and that's directly related to the coils resistance. So Turns and Wire Gauge are important.

Quoted from LTG:

Either one is stronger, 800 turns.

In this case, the data I've found (I looked it up, I didn't actually pull out my DMM) is that the 26-800 and the 25-1000 are roughly identical "strength" wise (have the same resistance, thus current is the same) at 7.5 ish ohms. 26 awg has a smaller radius than 25 awg and thus has higher resistance per foot. But the 25 awg coil has more turns (more feet of wire). The net result in this case seems to be more resistance and shorter = less resistance and longer.

Quoted from Deleenhe:

Page 2-23 of the manual says it should be AE-23-800 and the solenoid table on page 3-5 says it is AE-26-800.

However, the 23-800 comes in at around 4.2 ohms (less turns, thicker lower resistance wire) so it's going to be a stronger coil as the amperage draw will be higher. So you can't just go by turns alone.

#1668 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

The ball sometimes bounces back into the vuk on mine, I wonder if my coil is wrong

Or the curved part of the chute has a divot and doesn't let the ball go up through and out.

#1669 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or the curved part of the chute has a divot and doesn't let the ball go up through and out.

What Lloyd said. I'm surprised at how often I find in cases of ball kickouts that what I assume is electrical is actually mechanical. A whole new scoop, a little sanding and polishing, a little changing of pitch, adding a washer or two where the screws are to change the angle, a littler careful bending of a metal part--these kinds of mechanical experiments often do a lot more to solve kickout problems than you might think.

#1670 2 years ago

Mine hits the wireform with so much force it somehow bounces back up into the vuk. It's as If the wireform is bouncing but it's solid.

I feel like wear on the vuk would make the ball slower?

I solved a similar powerful coil issue on my Diner by adding a star post rubber ring around the plunger so it doesn't have as much travel and therefore loses a little energy.

Quoted from JOESCHALL:

What Lloyd said. I'm surprised at how often I find in cases of ball kickouts that what I assume is electrical is actually mechanical. A whole new scoop, a little sanding and polishing, a little changing of pitch, adding a washer or two where the screws are to change the angle, a littler careful bending of a metal part--these kinds of mechanical experiments often do a lot more to solve kickout problems than you might think.

I had that with the stroke of luck kick out. It would hit the sling. A few washers helped although I've noticed it starting to vary where the ball hits again

#1671 2 years ago

Bit more progress on the build today..
IMG_20220402_152022_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20220402_152022_01 (resized).jpg

received_306591574939397 (resized).jpegreceived_306591574939397 (resized).jpeg
#1672 2 years ago

I joined the club last Monday, and ecstatic to have such a classic, top-tier game in the lineup! So far I've ordered Color DMD, Silicone rubbers (all green), LEDs and a flipper rebuild kit. It has bad cabinet fade on one side, so considering radcals but also may just move it to the middle of the lineup

AFM (resized).pngAFM (resized).png
#1673 2 years ago

Flipper rebuild complete. I was shocked at the state of the old hardware, and don’t know how the game even flipped before. I’m a relative newbie at tech repair, and hadn’t really looked closely at the flippers, so pardon the obvious red flags.
* Nylon bushing completely broken on left flipper
* Both coil stops held on by one screw, and angled/hanging.
* Coil stops were mushroomed like crazy.

The result from the rebuild is amazing! They are snappy as a modern Stern, and I now realize the game is an absolute butt-kicker. In these images, the new hardware on left, old on right.

0E53C135-92D0-4433-9D74-0CF591CEF2C4 (resized).jpeg0E53C135-92D0-4433-9D74-0CF591CEF2C4 (resized).jpeg804178C2-1576-4653-92F4-E4C86EF8DCD2 (resized).jpeg804178C2-1576-4653-92F4-E4C86EF8DCD2 (resized).jpeg

#1674 2 years ago

Does anyone have a source for indivdual silkscreened cabinet decals (vs a set)? The machine I bought came with a pair of backbox decals and two of the front coin door decal so all I need are the main cabinet sides.

#1675 2 years ago

Suddenly the sound on my machine has become very faint. I need to crank the volume up to 90% of max to be able to hear it and max is about what I would have expected for 50%. Both cabinet and backbox speakers are similarly faint. I have checked their respective connectors and all fuses on the AV board ok. When I measure the voltage at pins J605-7 and J605-11, I get 13V vs. the 18V that I see in the manual, is this normal or perhaps a problem elsewhere? Any advice on what to check next is appreciated. Thanks.

#1676 2 years ago

Does anyone have a good solution for hotspots on the backbox? Behind the “Attack from Mars” title the bulbs really pierce through the clear surrounding. I’m using all frosted warm 2-SMD bulbs. I consider trying an opaque gel insert, but wanted to ask for any tips first.

507EC0CC-1B61-4574-B24B-10CE37784E83 (resized).jpeg507EC0CC-1B61-4574-B24B-10CE37784E83 (resized).jpeg

#1677 2 years ago

Wide angle LED bulbs

#1678 2 years ago

Check out the wax paper fix for the translite. It worked great for me.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-should-i-be-able-to-see-thru-the-backglass#post-5971571

#1679 2 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

Suddenly the sound on my machine has become very faint. I need to crank the volume up to 90% of max to be able to hear it and max is about what I would have expected for 50%. Both cabinet and backbox speakers are similarly faint. I have checked their respective connectors and all fuses on the AV board ok. When I measure the voltage at pins J605-7 and J605-11, I get 13V vs. the 18V that I see in the manual, is this normal or perhaps a problem elsewhere? Any advice on what to check next is appreciated. Thanks.

Did you get anywhere further with this issue? The fact that you are getting 13V at the J605 pins is strange as this is coming direct from the transformer.

There is a little bit of information on Pinwiki but certainly nothing matching your specific issue https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#On_Board_Voltage_Regulation

#1680 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Did you get anywhere further with this issue? The fact that you are getting 13V at the J605 pins is strange as this is coming direct from the transformer.
There is a little bit of information on Pinwiki but certainly nothing matching your specific issue https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#On_Board_Voltage_Regulation

I was secretly hoping this thread would die a silent death but now I will have to own up to an embarrassing solution in the hopes that someone else doesn't make such a dumb troubleshooting mistake. Here goes. A previous owner of the machine had installed a potentiometer to adjust the machine volume. Based on where it was located (inside the coin door), I figured it had been moved from a standard location in the cabinet and I had assumed that it was THE way to adjust. I also noticed that the potentiometer was only wired to the back box speakers and not he cabinet speaker so the cabinet speaker couldn’t be adjusted which seemed weird. After much troubleshooting and head scratching I recalled how in my old Diner the volume was adjusted with the menu buttons inside the coin door and suddenly I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach. Lo and behold, I think that somehow I must have inadvertently hit one of the buttons while doing something unrelated and had lowered the overall volume level. I cranked it back up with the buttons and everything is fine. I did find that the tweeter on the right side is blown but not related to this problem, just needs to be replaced. I did get a message on another thread that the 13V is not a problem and doesn't seem to be in this case. Thanks for your info!

#1681 2 years ago

What’s an original no credit dot, all LED, Colordmd, little fade, above avg PF AFM worth nowadays?

#1682 2 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I was secretly hoping this thread would die a silent death but now I will have to own up to an embarrassing solution in the hopes that someone else doesn't make such a dumb troubleshooting mistake. Here goes. A previous owner of the machine had installed a potentiometer to adjust the machine volume. Based on where it was located (inside the coin door), I figured it had been moved from a standard location in the cabinet and I had assumed that it was THE way to adjust. I also noticed that the potentiometer was only wired to the back box speakers and not he cabinet speaker so the cabinet speaker couldn’t be adjusted which seemed weird. After much troubleshooting and head scratching I recalled how in my old Diner the volume was adjusted with the menu buttons inside the coin door and suddenly I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach. Lo and behold, I think that somehow I must have inadvertently hit one of the buttons while doing something unrelated and had lowered the overall volume level. I cranked it back up with the buttons and everything is fine. I did find that the tweeter on the right side is blown but not related to this problem, just needs to be replaced. I did get a message on another thread that the 13V is not a problem and doesn't seem to be in this case. Thanks for your info!

Thanks for posting that! Something I would totally do. I have scratched my head many times at what someone was thinking when they "fixed" things on games.

#1683 2 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

Well the good thing is that you solved it yourself!

#1684 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

What’s an original no credit dot, all LED, Colordmd, little fade, above avg PF AFM worth nowadays?

#1685 2 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:I was secretly hoping this thread would die a silent death but now I will have to own up to an embarrassing solution in the hopes that someone else doesn't make such a dumb troubleshooting mistake. Here goes. A previous owner of the machine had installed a potentiometer to adjust the machine volume. Based on where it was located (inside the coin door), I figured it had been moved from a standard location in the cabinet and I had assumed that it was THE way to adjust. I also noticed that the potentiometer was only wired to the back box speakers and not he cabinet speaker so the cabinet speaker couldn’t be adjusted which seemed weird. After much troubleshooting and head scratching I recalled how in my old Diner the volume was adjusted with the menu buttons inside the coin door and suddenly I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach. Lo and behold, I think that somehow I must have inadvertently hit one of the buttons while doing something unrelated and had lowered the overall volume level. I cranked it back up with the buttons and everything is fine. I did find that the tweeter on the right side is blown but not related to this problem, just needs to be replaced. I did get a message on another thread that the 13V is not a problem and doesn't seem to be in this case. Thanks for your info!

I hooked my AFM audio up with a potentiometer like this. This allows you to get the bass up. Basically, you turn the volume up with the coin door buttons, which increases all speakers, then decrease the back box volume with the potentiometer, leaving the cabinet subwoofer at a higher volume.

It’s a nice mod.

#1686 2 years ago

I'm looking to buy an original AfM playfield. Doesn't have to be in perfect condition, but at least good enough to be restored if needed.

I've had a wanted ad up for awhile but no responses to it, so I thought I would post here. Thanks!

#1687 2 years ago

Finally! I’ve Ruled the Universe! Next on the list—my kid’s high score.

Oddly enough, this victory came on my very first game after installing magnetic switches on my right orbit. Here’s the thread on them: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-mrs-catalog

I tried adjusting the original switches countless times and I’d still get frequent shots that didn’t register. These switches cleared it up, so I’m happy

#1688 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

Finally! I’ve Ruled the Universe! Next on the list—my kid’s high score.
Oddly enough, this victory came on my very first game after installing magnetic switches on my right orbit. Here’s the thread on them: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-mrs-catalog
I tried adjusting the original switches countless times and I’d still get frequent shots that didn’t register. These switches cleared it up, so I’m happy

Thanks for the testimonial!! Glad to be of help - our switches are pretty interesting and can help fix a lot of problems...

Matt & Dan
M&M Creations

1 week later
#1689 1 year ago

Hi! I have few sets of blades and backboard decal in stock. Bundle will be cheaper, but also avaliable "only blades" and "only bb decal". Let me know who interested.
IMG_0771 (resized).JPGIMG_0771 (resized).JPG

#1690 1 year ago

Any chance that someone has a spare left side plastic 31-2535-16 for sale or trade?
Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 7.54.27 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-04-30 at 7.54.27 AM (resized).png
By a strange coincidence I have a spare 31-2535-6
IMG_7214 (resized).JPGIMG_7214 (resized).JPG

#1691 1 year ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

Any chance that someone has a spare left side plastic 31-2535-16 for sale or trade?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Reach out to “TomTest.” I gave him a ton of leftover unbroken plastics from my restore a little while ago. He might have what you’re looking for.

1 week later
#1692 1 year ago

Hot Damn I finally picked up an original AFM in super fantastic shape other than needing cabinet decals and a scoop. Got a few questions for you guys.

1. The scoop kickout. Should the ball exit and hit the flipper or the metal lane guide wall? Someone did a weld repair on this piece and the ball hits the wall and will randomly go different places.

2. On the translite. Is the outline around "Attack From Mars" supposed to be transparent meaning you can see the bulbs? Or has something faded out here?

3. Who has the best quality cab decals for this title?

Thanks.

#1693 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Hot Damn I finally picked up an original AFM in super fantastic shape other than needing cabinet decals and a scoop. Got a few questions for you guys.
1. The scoop kickout. Should the ball exit and hit the flipper or the metal lane guide wall? Someone did a weld repair on this piece and the ball hits the wall and will randomly go different places.
2. On the translite. Is the outline around "Attack From Mars" supposed to be transparent meaning you can see the bulbs? Or has something faded out here?
3. Who has the best quality cab decals for this title?
Thanks.

1. Should go to the left flipper
2. Yes that's normal.
3. Unsure...can someone else chime in for this one ?

#1694 1 year ago

As far as decals go—I put RadCals on mine. I am very happy with them, but not everyone likes the glossy look.

#1695 1 year ago

Got my first AFM in 2010.

Sold it, regretted it.

Got another 4 years ago.

70 games come and gone in last decade through my doors.

And after all that.....

AFM - it's the best game of all time

Games like Maiden and Godzilla have raised the bar with design and coding, and yet AFM has something no modern game seems to have.

Timeless.

#1696 1 year ago

Shopping out my AFM and I have a broken plastic I can’t seem to track down. It’s the plastic that goes just to the left side of/ and under the main saucer.
Figured I’d see if anyone here had one before having to go buy a whole new set. (I do see the post a few up about messaging tomtest)

B152B5D8-0025-422E-99CC-1585B1D311B1 (resized).jpegB152B5D8-0025-422E-99CC-1585B1D311B1 (resized).jpeg
#1697 1 year ago
Quoted from Lockenick:

Shopping out my AFM and I have a broken plastic I can’t seem to track down. It’s the plastic that goes just to the left side of/ and under the main saucer.
Figured I’d see if anyone here had one before having to go buy a whole new set. (I do see the post a few up about messaging tomtest)
[quoted image]

pinballcenter has one .

#1698 1 year ago
Quoted from Lockenick:

[quoted image]

These used to be readily available on ebay and Planetary Pinball. Now it looks like only European sites have them (as two-packs with their opposite-side pair).
Planetary Pinball still has some individual AFM plastics, but it looks like that supply is dwindling (perhaps more money in selling full sets). I'd been looking for the same piece as Deleenhe a couple months ago, and was annoyed to find that it was the ONLY AFM plastic I couldn't get as a single part--now there's lots missing.

#1699 1 year ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Still looking for this one in case anyone has a source. Thanks.

#1700 1 year ago

Extremely excited to join the club! I thought I had lost out on my opportunity to buy one at a reasonable price but patience paid off! While it definitely spent some time in an arcade (per the previous owner ~7 years) it remained in the stewardship of one family for the next 20 who are finally selling the last few of their collection.

It's definitely a "player's condition" machine but that will work just fine for us!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.50
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 21.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,246 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome/page/34?hl=rapidflipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.