• 2,247 posts
  • 309 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by slizzap
  • Topic is favorited by 180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_imageSection	Item	Description	Factory Setting	Value A.1 Standard Adjustments	34	Allow Chase Ball	YES	YES (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1492 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5572 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5549 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5563 (resized).jpeg
DSC00938 (resized).JPG
IMG_0563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 45.
#1451 2 years ago

Hi guys...quick help if possible. I'm wondering where this guide mounts?

20211211_111323 (resized).jpg20211211_111323 (resized).jpg
#1452 2 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi guys...quick help if possible. I'm wondering where this guide mounts?

Top left corner above the ramp behind the saucer.

There are two holes back there for screw and metal thing sticking down.

LTG : )

#1453 2 years ago

Random question.

Do you guys always go for the super skill shot? Would there be a benefit not to?

#1454 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Random question.
Do you guys always go for the super skill shot? Would there be a benefit not to?

Almost never. I prefer to work towards super jets.

#1455 2 years ago

I always do to try and
get a full right ramp or right orbit.!!

Nearly finished my new playfield for my new build.
This is my 3rd original Attack from Mars...what a machine! I am working more on a clean pinsound mix, all call outs finished, cleaned up and made stereo so far as well as all music. About half the sfx files to go.
And my favourite little jingle, War of the Worlds boot file.
Going custom decals as well, never liked how the art didn't meet at the front corners and all the green saucers!

20210920_065402 (resized).jpg20210920_065402 (resized).jpgimage001 (resized).jpgimage001 (resized).jpgreceived_1224894371331246 (resized).jpegreceived_1224894371331246 (resized).jpegreceived_1531154270599981 (resized).jpegreceived_1531154270599981 (resized).jpegreceived_3062803837372748 (resized).jpegreceived_3062803837372748 (resized).jpegreceived_719592539432636 (resized).jpegreceived_719592539432636 (resized).jpegreceived_908364776543898 (resized).jpegreceived_908364776543898 (resized).jpegreceived_952337629017733 (resized).jpegreceived_952337629017733 (resized).jpeg
#1456 2 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Almost never. I prefer to work towards super jets.

Doesn't super jets happen by itself without any effort during any decent game?

#1457 2 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Doesn't super jets happen by itself during any decent game?

That's what I was thinking.

#1458 2 years ago

Picked up a second AFM. The wife wanted me to bring the players condition AFM from the bar but that wasn’t happening

66328102-393D-41F4-8942-08DC5B2AB5E4 (resized).jpeg66328102-393D-41F4-8942-08DC5B2AB5E4 (resized).jpeg
#1459 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Random question.

If the gate is up, I go for super skill shot to knock it down. If the gate is down, I don’t go for super skill shot.

#1460 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Random question.

The one reason you wouldn't go the super skill shot on a ramp or orbit is if you are trying to score the 1B for the combined 4 hurry-ups (2 ramps and 2 orbits). Typically I always go the super skill shot, firstly to lower the gate otherwise the right ramp however if I'm getting close to having a crack at the 1B hurry-up (and the gate is already lowered) that's when I'll just do the standard skill shot into the top rollover lanes.

#1461 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The one reason you wouldn't go the super skill shot on a ramp or orbit is if you are trying to score the 1B for the combined 4 hurry-ups (2 ramps and 2 orbits). Typically I always go the super skill shot, firstly to lower the gate otherwise the right ramp however if I'm getting close to having a crack at the 1B hurry-up (and the gate is already lowered) that's when I'll just do the standard skill shot into the top rollover lanes.

There’s a hurry up worth 1 billion? I only know about the 100k hit the saucer/gate hurry up

#1462 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

There’s a hurry up worth 1 billion? I only know about the 100k hit the saucer/gate hurry up

Complete one ramp or orbit, and then hit the saucer/gate = 100M
Complete two ramps and/or orbits, and then hit the saucer/gate = 300M
Complete three ramps and/or orbits, and then hit the saucer/gate = 500M
Complete all four ramps and orbits = 1B (automatically awarded)

#1463 2 years ago

My AFM died Friday night with family around, was playing ok then after while in attract mode just GI lights were on. Totally dead.
I have had a hangover since and only just managed to check it, it would not boot and had the bong with only GI lights on.

Opened the backbox hoping it had external batteries which it did, moved a few ribbon cables and pushed a few chips and then turned it on.
All good, phew. Did some reading in between and a bit wiser for it.

Would have been very annoying if it was battery acid damage, if you can’t remember best check!

#1464 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:The one reason you wouldn't go the super skill shot on a ramp or orbit is if you are trying to score the 1B for the combined 4 hurry-ups (2 ramps and 2 orbits). Typically I always go the super skill shot, firstly to lower the gate otherwise the right ramp however if I'm getting close to having a crack at the 1B hurry-up (and the gate is already lowered) that's when I'll just do the standard skill shot into the top rollover lanes.

Quoted from Manny65:

Complete all four ramps and orbits, and then hit the saucer/gate = 1B

Great stuff. Thanks!!

#1465 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Complete all four ramps and orbits, and then hit the saucer/gate = 1B

Actually, you don’t have to hit the gate after the 4th collect. It awards it automatically.

#1466 2 years ago

So you have to have all 4 shots ready for the hurry up then hit each one so it activates the hurry up on each one right?

#1467 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Actually, you don’t have to hit the gate after the 4th collect. It awards it automatically.

Yes you're right, as getting all 4 will activate Total Annihilation and you are automatically award the 1B

#1468 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So you have to have all 4 shots ready for the hurry up then hit each one so it activates the hurry up on each one right?

Doesn't matter if they aren't all ready for their hurry-up (although it makes it easier as you have less shots to hit). You just need to complete all 4 during the hurry-up timer - I believe the hurry-up timer is reset on starting the next hurry-up

#1469 2 years ago

I've been getting a slam tilt anytime the Martian letters I and A are struck at the same time. The switches are recognizing them and I resoldered the switch connections. All other letter combos that are struck are fine. It's only when the I and A are struck at the same time does it slam tilt.

Could a busted diode be causing me this? I can't figure this out. Thanks for any help.

#1470 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Could a busted diode be causing me this?

I doubt it. Switch wired wrong or diode on backwards.

#1471 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I doubt it. Switch wired wrong or diode on backwards.

Thanks Lloyd. Did some more investigating and I think it's resolved now.

#1472 2 years ago

So wondering groups opinion on value of a fully restored AFM is. I refinished and redecaled cabinet installed Mirco Playfield rebuilt all mechanical components, kept it original with incandescents and original dmd plays 100%. I’ve owned it for over 10 years and it sits next to my original MM so thinking of perhaps converting it into a Godzilla premium. Hard to tell what it’s worth in this crazy pin market would love your opinions.
Thanks Al
0576D212-0CA9-4388-BD4D-193FE4C86589 (resized).jpeg0576D212-0CA9-4388-BD4D-193FE4C86589 (resized).jpeg54F8C19A-974B-4C7C-B8FC-E5D05184664A (resized).jpeg54F8C19A-974B-4C7C-B8FC-E5D05184664A (resized).jpegB9F595E6-C14F-43F1-BA2B-BDA212FAB999 (resized).jpegB9F595E6-C14F-43F1-BA2B-BDA212FAB999 (resized).jpeg

#1473 2 years ago

Before you say it the right Martian target broke last week at our tournament replacement will be installed this weekend. Had 63 players in the tournament so the games got some use out of them. Now I have all year to fix what broke at the party.

#1474 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadlander:

So wondering groups opinion on value of a fully restored AFM is. I refinished and redecaled cabinet installed Mirco Playfield rebuilt all mechanical components, kept it original with incandescents and original dmd plays 100%. I’ve owned it for over 10 years and it sits next to my original MM so thinking of perhaps converting it into a Godzilla premium. Hard to tell what it’s worth in this crazy pin market would love your opinions.
Thanks Al
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Probably 10 grand+. I don't think i would seperate an MM/AFM pair for a new stern though, but that's me. You will have to buy it back for 12 grand a year from now if things keep up.
I'd also consider some better lighting and or better camera. Your description sounds likes it's really nice (and i believe it is), but IMO it doesn't show all too well in those pics.

#1475 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadlander:

Thanks Al
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think it easily sells in less then 48 hours at 9k

A MM/AFM pair is tough to break up!

#1476 2 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Probably 10 grand+. I don't think i would seperate an MM/AFM pair for a new stern though, but that's me. You will have to buy it back for 12 grand a year from now if things keep up.
I'd also consider some better lighting and or better camera. Your description sounds likes it's really nice (and i believe it is), but IMO it doesn't show all too well in those pics.

I just sold a minty one for over 10k and I am still suffering from PBSA bad. Guy had the cutest little girl who loves pinball so that’s helping.

#1477 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I think it easily sells in less then 48 hours at 9k

Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I just sold a minty one for over 10k

Holy smokes.

I remember when I bought mine 3(ish) years ago for $3,900, I sunk in around $1,500 to restore it to like new, and was underwater with the game since I could buy a NIB remake out of the box for roughly the same and without the hassle of the restoration efforts.

Kinda nice to know there’s still a healthy market for the original.

#1478 2 years ago

Anyone know where this piece goes? Or what it's from?

Thanks

20211215_112817.jpg20211215_112817.jpg
#1479 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Anyone know where this piece goes? Or what it's from?
Thanks
[quoted image]

7CB0CAC8-4773-46BD-8091-80639D270502_1_105_c (resized).jpeg7CB0CAC8-4773-46BD-8091-80639D270502_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
#1480 2 years ago

Much appreciated.

#1481 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I just sold a minty one for over 10k and I am still suffering from PBSA bad. Guy had the cutest little girl who loves pinball so that’s helping.

PBSA?

#1482 2 years ago

Pinball separation anxiety? (Guessing)

1 week later
#1483 2 years ago

Reminder, today is the last day of the sale.

For those they do not have these Big O Jiggly Martians, with or without the LED eyes, you are missing a great enhancement for your playfield.

-------------------

Mick's Pinball Christmas Sale

https://www.mickspinball.com/

Use Discount Code Santa2021 at time of checkout for a 10% savings.

Discount code valid on purchases dated
Dec. 20th - Dec. 31st

AFM & AFMr Big O Jiggly LED Martians, Red or Multi Colored Eyes
Big O Jiggly Martians, no LEDs, Just Bigger and Jiggly

Thank you all for the continuing support of my products,

Mick

Any question please PM me here.

Star Trek the Next Generation Products offered too.

Laser Cannons
Cannon Covers with Red, Green or Clear Domes
Red LED Oscillator’s, always on or just when the cannons are rotating

Big-O Martian Comparison (resized).jpgBig-O Martian Comparison (resized).jpg
#1484 2 years ago

I've got a ball stuck twice in the shooter lane area. Not sure if it's just by chance or not. Just curious if there's supposed to be a metal post of something where where stuck pinball is in the picture.

(Like what you see on the other side of the ball ejection area)

2f711e5aacb03ccb4ecfc26c36ded7f48463d57b.jpg2f711e5aacb03ccb4ecfc26c36ded7f48463d57b.jpg

#1485 2 years ago

Pinball Separation Anxiety

#1486 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I've got a ball stuck twice in the shooter lane area. Not sure if it's just by chance or not. Just curious if there's supposed to be a metal post of something where where stuck pinball is in the picture.
(Like what you see on the other side of the ball ejection area)
[quoted image]

That's how mine looks, so you aren't missing any components. I'm assuming this occurs when the trough coil is kicking a ball out into the shooter lane and it is bouncing off the shooter lane and right hand shooter rail into that hole - right? In which case I'd be marginally adjusting the metal tabs at the top and front of the kickout bracket to change the angle the ball is going into the shooter lane. Also check that you have the correct coil (spec) for the trough kickout

#1487 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

That's how mine looks, so you aren't missing any components. I'm assuming this occurs when the trough coil is kicking a ball out into the shooter lane and it is bouncing off the shooter lane and right hand shooter rail into that hole - right? In which case I'd be marginally adjusting the metal tabs at the top and front of the kickout bracket to change the angle the ball is going into the shooter lane. Also check that you have the correct coil (spec) for the trough kickout

Thanks for the reply. I just put an extra pinball in where its getting stuck to prevent a stuck ball during game play. Lol

I'll fiddle around a bit and double check the coil. Much appreciated @manny65!

#1488 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I just put an extra pinball in where its getting stuck to prevent a stuck ball during game play. Lol

LOL - great ingenuity right there!! Nicely done

#1489 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Thanks for the reply. I just put an extra pinball in where its getting stuck to prevent a stuck ball during game play. Lol
I'll fiddle around a bit and double check the coil. Much appreciated Manny65!

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution.

#1490 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I'll fiddle around a bit and double check the coil. Much appreciated Manny65!

I think mine has a red star post there to prevent that. I'm not sure offhand exactly where it is, but it's very close to the shooter lane

#1491 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

I think mine has a red star post there to prevent that. I'm not sure offhand exactly where it is, but it's very close to the shooter lane

Must be the same spot as mine.

Screenshot_20211231-215801_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20211231-215801_Firefox.jpg
#1492 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

There's a red star post below the trough kickout - you can see it in the pic https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome/page/30#post-6685400 and my machine matches this

Edit: Haha ImNotNorm you beat me to it

#1493 2 years ago

Do any of you have the CPR mirrored backglass for AFM? Thoughts?

#1494 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

I don’t have the AFM one, but I got one for my WH2O and it’s very nice. So nice, that I’m considering replacing all the translites with CPR glass…

#1495 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

After two years of it sitting in a box i finally installed my AFM backglass this week. I was waiting to restore the game but it’s safe in there so what the hell. Anyway i think it looks great. Reinstalling the trim was a pain in the ass. My lift channel isnt in the best shape so i will need to replace it, the question is - is there a better option that accepts a slightly thicker glass and the light tub? I also did funhouse and on this one the System 11 trim was a good fit.

DC5957D9-382A-4051-AA77-88E2C4C93654 (resized).jpegDC5957D9-382A-4051-AA77-88E2C4C93654 (resized).jpeg
#1496 2 years ago

I have been looking for an original AFM for a while and finally got one yesterday. Had to overpay a little in this current market, but thats ok. It was with the last owner for 20 years. It’s looks to be in ok condition, but hasn’t been gone through in many many years. A lot of dirt in hard to reach places and rubbers are probably 20 years old.

First issue that I need help with is the display. It turns on and works, but has a horizontal blank line constantly cycling down. I tried to reset the ribbon cables and nothing. Can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot?

Second issue is that a couple inserts in the center(mainly return to battle and attack from mars) are starting to flake. I think I read somewhere that you can use a clear super glue with a syringe to stabilize it?

BCC3E8FF-E90A-4B4C-9613-9A3A43BE42E9 (resized).jpegBCC3E8FF-E90A-4B4C-9613-9A3A43BE42E9 (resized).jpegDEE91CBF-992F-45CA-809A-9C154FE1A91E (resized).jpegDEE91CBF-992F-45CA-809A-9C154FE1A91E (resized).jpeg
#1497 2 years ago
Quoted from ktuhde:

First issue that I need help with is the display. It turns on and works, but has a horizontal blank line constantly cycling down. I tried to reset the ribbon cables and nothing. Can someone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot?

Reseat cables from CPU to AV board to DMD. If that doesn't help DMD or AV board has a serious issue.

#1498 2 years ago
Quoted from ktuhde:

I have been looking for an original AFM for a while and finally got one yesterday. Had to overpay a little in this current market, but thats ok. It was with the last owner for 20 years. It’s looks to be in ok condition, but hasn’t been gone through in many many years. A lot of dirt in hard to reach places and rubbers are probably 20 years old.

Second issue is that a couple inserts in the center(mainly return to battle and attack from mars) are starting to flake. I think I read somewhere that you can use a clear super glue with a syringe to stabilize it?
[quoted image][quoted image]

The caps on you A/V board is most likely the issue https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#.22Rolling.22_Horizontal_Line_on_WPC-95_Display

#1499 2 years ago

You should get a ColorDMD anyway.

#1500 2 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

You should get a ColorDMD anyway.

I would consider this if it’s a fix.

I did read in another forum topic about doing this because it doesn’t use the high voltage. But could the issue causing the problem now eventually cause more damage down the road? Or is it ok because it’s not powering anything anymore?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 21.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome/page/30?hl=djreddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.