• Latest reply 16 days ago by bakerhillpins
  • Topic is favorited by 152 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220727_130033.jpg
9E9D86D3-1318-4251-B610-84CEB3ACCB4F (resized).jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1654412791498_6939110189034712714 (resized).jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1654412805469_6939110247633423783 (resized).jpeg
AFM SOL - view down from playfield v2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
3a2b348d737f8d39d241442a0fb88c86ec1ae5c4 (resized).jpg
20220602_173757 (resized).jpg
20220602_173805 (resized).jpg
20220602_173754 (resized).jpg
20220602_173801 (resized).jpg
20220531_140305 (resized).jpg
20220531_133756 (resized).jpg
20220531_133749 (resized).jpg
20220531_133745 (resized).jpg
compair (resized).jpg

There are 1,781 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 36.
#1401 9 months ago

Probably one of the more difficult but attainable wizard modes to beat, but oh so satisfying.

#1402 9 months ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

Here's what the manual says (for more places to check):
Check Fuses F101 and F106 and Opto 12V Supply
This message will be displayed if the game senses that all optical switches are not functioning. This
usually occurs when there is no 12V supply to the playfield optics.
The problem is likely to be a blown fuse (F109), or at connectors J138, J139, J140 or J141 on the
power driver board.

The game is up and running again, but I didn't have time to thoroughly diagnose the issue due to league. I borrowed a CPU board from a friend and swapped them out and the game is running fine. I had someone help me and he believes the chip that controls the switch matrix is fried because a good majority of switches were not working. I was in correct in saying that the coils weren't firing, I forgot I had the coin door open and didn't press in the button to allow the coils to fire.

#1403 9 months ago

Any rumours of CGC doing another run of AFM down the road?

#1404 9 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Those are cool. Are they wired to the corresponding letter, so illuminated in sync?
How did you make them, or did you buy them that way (from where)?

clear targets and target lights are from pinballcenter , just solder them to the twist sockets of the letters .

#1405 9 months ago
Quoted from Staf:

clear targets and target lights are from pinballcenter , just solder them to the twist sockets of the letters .

Found them: https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-modding/noflix-target-light

Not sure if or how I could make them work on AFMr (could easily connect to GI, but probably not letters). Also, waiting to see how much shipping would be to US.

#1406 9 months ago

Started on this project last night;

44975 (resized).jpeg

Could any one help me out on washer placement?
See post; https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome/page/28#post-6572965

#1407 9 months ago

Can a AFMr playfield be swapped into an original?

#1408 9 months ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

Can a AFMr playfield be swapped into an original?

Bare playfield :

Not an even swap. Holes on top the same. Dimples underneath to mount boards and stuff will be different.

More work, I don't see any reason why it can't be done.

Populated playfield - no, not without a lot of work on the underside.

LTG : )

#1409 9 months ago

On my (original) AFM, I'm getting Slam Tilts that can happen anytime during game play. I separated the contact points for the coin door slam tilt switch so that it can't activate mechanically, but the problem remains. Any ideas?

#1410 9 months ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

On my (original) AFM, I'm getting Slam Tilts that can happen anytime during game play. I separated the contact points for the coin door slam tilt switch so that it can't activate mechanically, but the problem remains. Any ideas?

It appears you have a short
Do you know how to run the switch tests?

#1411 9 months ago

Slam tilt on floor of game near the front ?

You change any switches recently ? A switch matrix error can do this. Switch wired wrong or diode on backwards.

#1412 9 months ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Jump into switch test mode and go through all the switches seeing if you are getting multiple switches triggering when activating a single switch. As DK and LTG have posted this could be associated with recent switch work or otherwise a shorted diode.

Check out Terryb's clip

#1413 9 months ago

Thanks so much for the above three replies. I did replace both entire flipper assemblies recently and put in a new shooter lane switch. I'll check the bottom of the cabinet slam tilt and run a switch test. Everything was good for a month but now this has popped up. I'll report back once the problem is resolved. Thanks again!

#1414 9 months ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

I'll check the bottom of the cabinet slam tilt

Do that first.

Quoted from JOESCHALL:

put in a new shooter lane switch.

Check that second. White wire to black end of diode and to a lug, green wire to a lug, silver band end of diode to a lug. Compare to other micro mini switches - all wired the same. Except for the stripe colors on white wire or green wire may differ.

Quoted from JOESCHALL:

I did replace both entire flipper assemblies recently

Wouldn't cause this issue. Both EOS switches are part of the dedicated switches. Not part of the switch matrix.

#1415 9 months ago

Thanks, Lloyd. You're the best!

#1416 9 months ago

On the above phantom random slam tilts, I did check every switch in the switch matrix and all looked well, I checked the wiring and spacing in the bottom cabinet switch and that was fine too, and I checked the wiring and diode orientation for the shooter lane switch I had replaced, which was also fine. What I did find was that the cliffy protector on the SOL scoop was slightly lifted and was right up against one of the Martian targets, with that target also loose, so I pushed down the protector and tightened the switch, and I played one game so far with no slam tilt. I'm not sure if that switch being loose, activated by, or being sometimes stuck closed against the cliffy would cause a slam tilt, but I thought it was worth a try.

#1417 9 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yay... finally after 5+ years and thousands of games.....it was so awesome
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Congrats man how many times did you get to it and not score the points required? I have been there like 8 times lately and not made it to the 5 billion! urg?

What do you guys think is the hardest blue light to light? I would say for me super jackpot. I have timed out on it not realizing it had a time limit on it!

#1418 8 months ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

On the above phantom random slam tilts, I did check every switch in the switch matrix and all looked well, I checked the wiring and spacing in the bottom cabinet switch and that was fine too, and I checked the wiring and diode orientation for the shooter lane switch I had replaced, which was also fine. What I did find was that the cliffy protector on the SOL scoop was slightly lifted and was right up against one of the Martian targets, with that target also loose, so I pushed down the protector and tightened the switch, and I played one game so far with no slam tilt. I'm not sure if that switch being loose, activated by, or being sometimes stuck closed against the cliffy would cause a slam tilt, but I thought it was worth a try.

Sounds like you've found the issue, good job!! I suspect that the Cliffy was shorting the Martian "I" target and consequently slam tilt was being triggered when the ball hit the Martian "A" target on the righthand side. Also the short might have been intermittent depending upon the movement of the cliffy and the loose target, and possibly why you didn't notice anything in switch test mode.

AFM Switch Matrix (resized).JPG
#1419 8 months ago

Hi! Any chance anyone could take some photos of the underside of the playfield with the motorized drop target bank and motor, from the underside?

Cheers!

#1420 8 months ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Hi! Any chance anyone could take some photos of the underside of the playfield with the motorized drop target bank and motor, from the underside?
Cheers!

20211115_151256.jpg

20211115_151219.jpg
#1421 8 months ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Sounds like you've found the issue, good job!! I suspect that the Cliffy was shorting the Martian "I" target and consequently slam tilt was being triggered when the ball hit the Martian "A" target on the righthand side. Also the short might have been intermittent depending upon the movement of the cliffy and the loose target, and possibly why you didn't notice anything in switch test mode.

Aha. Thanks for the helpful explanatory analysis. That does make sense, especially after watching that video. A lesson learned. I played two more games on the machine in the last hour with no slam tilts, so I think the problem is licked. Thanks again!

#1422 8 months ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

What do you guys think is the hardest blue light to light? I would say for me super jackpot. I have timed out on it not realizing it had a time limit on it!

I've completed everything except the super jackpot many times. Just seems like I can't put a game together where I do it all. I've worked on the super jackpot first, but then I usually fail to complete the 5 way combo.

#1423 8 months ago
Quoted from jcar302:

I've completed everything except the super jackpot many times. Just seems like I can't put a game together where I do it all. I've worked on the super jackpot first, but then I usually fail to complete the 5 way combo

Same here. This is the reason I love pinball so much. Most of the time you can’t have them all.

#1424 8 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thanks! Is it possible to get a photo of the other side of the motor also, to see how the target bank frame looks, and how its connected?
Im wondering if it is connected to the playfield, or if the motor itself keeps it "in check", while the tartget bank moves up and down inside it.

Appreciated!

#1425 8 months ago
Quoted from jcar302:

I've completed everything except the super jackpot many times. Just seems like I can't put a game together where I do it all. I've worked on the super jackpot first, but then I usually fail to complete the 5 way combo.

Today’s game. LOL just missed ruling again one more super jackpot!

AAF60894-8236-415C-BB81-ED4FCC9ED056 (resized).jpegAC0F97AF-C186-4B04-87AC-5A709220EEA6 (resized).jpegE2EF784D-D0FC-473E-80D9-38064629FA51 (resized).jpeg
#1426 8 months ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Today’s game. LOL just missed ruling again one more super jackpot!

Not to dismiss your skills but it has to be the mirror blades. They really make a difference on your game!

#1427 8 months ago

I was gonna say the score doesn't count because it was done on a remake

#1428 8 months ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Don't forget there is a short grace period when you drain down to one ball. If you only have one jackpot left try to quickly nail it. If you do you'll get the last chance super lit.

#1429 8 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Hey that is a low blow I just sold my minty original last week and the Pinball Separation Anxiety (PSA) is still hurting man.

#1430 8 months ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Don't forget there is a short grace period when you drain down to one ball. If you only have one jackpot left try to quickly nail it. If you do you'll get the last chance super lit.

Do you know how long that grace period is, talk about pressure when you have one left and the lights are out?

#1431 8 months ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Do you know how long that grace period is, talk about pressure when you have one left and the lights are out?

As with other grace periods on AFM, I'd estimate that it's a full 2 seconds.

#1432 8 months ago

Just got dirty pool for the first time today.

I feel dirty.

#1433 8 months ago

Currently I have a switch matrix issue (likely a bad diode) where if I hit the center ramp, it will also register that I completed the right ramp.

I’ve had this issue for a while and I can’t seem to find the energy to fix it

It helps with the super jackpot, which I still suck at anyway.

#1434 8 months ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

Currently I have a switch matrix issue (likely a bad diode)

Not likely.

More likely a switch wired wrong or a short to switch lugs/wiring.

#1435 8 months ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Nope, its short but it does exist. Suck it up and hit it! I thought you wanted to save the earth? Hmm maybe you're on the martians side...

#1436 8 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Well I've got Buckley's chance of beating this ...

And RGR if you're reading this - thanks again "mate"!!

AFM - RGR Score (resized).jpg
#1437 8 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not likely.
More likely a switch wired wrong or a short to switch lugs/wiring.

thanks, I'll take a look. Since both ramps share the same exit switch, I imagine it's something with the cow ramp's entry switch.

#1438 8 months ago

Game play question:

When you hit a ramp and the red arrow light on the other ramps/orbit shots what is it wanting you to do? Is it a combo shot thing? If so I haven't been able to figure out the order.

Thanks!

#1439 8 months ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Game play question:
When you hit a ramp and the red arrow light on the other ramps/orbit shots what is it wanting you to do? Is it a combo shot thing? If so I haven't been able to figure out the order.
Thanks!

It's letting you know that the combo shot is initiated. So shoot them to get on your way to the 5 way combo. You want to keep to the two main ramps to help increase the combo. If you put it into the left or right orbit the pinball may stay up into the skill shot/pop bumpers too long and the combo timer will expire. (Unless you have the left/right orbits unlocked for the total annihilation mode)

#1440 8 months ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Well I've got Buckley's chance of beating this ...
And RGR if you're reading this - thanks again "mate"!!
[quoted image]

GEEZUS
Take the 1 off the front and that's close to my best score ever lol

#1441 8 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

It's letting you know that the combo shot is initiated. So shoot them to get on your way to the 5 way combo. You want to keep to the two main ramps to help increase the combo. If you put it into the left or right orbit the pinball may stay up into the skill shot/pop bumpers too long and the combo timer will expire. (Unless you have the left/right orbits unlocked for the total annihilation mode)

Based on my game, unless the full orbit are unlocked in that specific direction, an orbit shot will immediately stop the combo sequence (it's not associated with the combo timer running out)

#1442 8 months ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Based on my game, unless the full orbit are unlocked in that specific direction, an orbit shot will immediately stop the combo sequence (it's not associated with the combo timer running out)

Hmm...I may have to investigate mine now. I was under the impression an unlocked orbit shot would contribute to the combo score.

Additionally...I thought a locked orbit (left or right) would only count towards a 5 way combo score if it was the fifth shot of said combo.

#1443 8 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Hmm...I may have to investigate mine now. I was under the impression an unlocked orbit shot would contribute to the combo score.
Additionally...I thought a locked orbit (left or right) would only count towards a 5 way combo score if it was the fifth shot of said combo.

It will count when it’s the fifth shot of a 5-way combo. Otherwise a left or right orbit shot will kill a combo—Unless you’ve gotten all three shots on the orbit (then an orbit shot counts as a ramp shot towards a combo).

#1444 8 months ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Quoted from Kevlar51:

It will count when it’s the fifth shot of a 5-way combo.

Good to know it works if it's the 5th shot - wasn't aware of this

#1445 8 months ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

It will count when it’s the fifth shot of a 5-way combo. Otherwise a left or right orbit shot will kill a combo—Unless you’ve gotten all three shots on the orbit (then an orbit shot counts as a ramp shot towards a combo).

Well I'll be a Martians uncle. Good to know.

#1446 8 months ago

Thanks for the info guys!

I think I was hitting the left orbit since the red arrow was flashing and thought maybe they wanted to be done in a left to right order so that explains why it seemed like it never counted or continued.

#1447 8 months ago

Having an issue with SOL scoop not ejecting the ball out. Coil fires but it only kicks the ball up like a quarter way. When inspecting the scoop I found this piece of plastic blocking the ball (see pic). Removed it, but ball still isn’t ejecting out. Any ideas? Everything looks fine underneath.

Here is the plastic piece.

97F8E578-9FF9-41E4-8725-5024C6FA14BE (resized).jpeg
#1448 8 months ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Having an issue with SOL scoop not ejecting the ball out. Coil fires but it only kicks the ball up like a quarter way. When inspecting the scoop I found this piece of plastic blocking the ball (see pic). Removed it, but ball still isn’t ejecting out. Any ideas? Everything looks fine underneath.
Here is the plastic piece. [quoted image]

That'd be half of the coil plunger - you need to replace A-17767

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17767

#1449 8 months ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Here is the plastic piece. [quoted image]

Is that plastic is part of your VUK? Here’s the full plunger replacement: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17767
Or here: https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-bell-armature-plunger-assembly-a-17767.html

#1450 8 months ago

Thanks everyone!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Austin, TX
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
There are 1,781 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!