IMG_0563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1319 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 44.
#1101 3 years ago

Thanks for translite wax paper idea. My problem with the clear parts are the bulbs can be blinding (I use the least bright frosted LED's available and you get a strong reflection off the playfield that makes it hard to see certain areas. I can't wait to give the wax paper a try. Also may try on my Junkyard since it has the same issue.
Any suggestion on a tape to use that won't damage the translite if later removed?

#1102 3 years ago

Here I am watching the hockey game upstairs in the living room....and suddenly I hear the knocker from the AFM going off and my wife cackling "HAHAHAHA fuck you aliens!" from the basement.

I don't think we will ever get rid of this gem of a pin! Even if I wanted to, lol.

#1103 3 years ago

Looking for an Eat at Eddys mod if anyone has one for sale. Thanks

#1104 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

In case you haven’t tried yet “e-mail me when available” only took a few days on the Mezelmods site.

#1105 3 years ago

Hoping to join the club soon. I've looked a few different machines lately, and for the second time now I've seen this odd green post by the scoop. Every game I've played has always had a black post sleeve there. Does anyone know what this is or why it's there? It's oversized as well, I've never seen this before.

Screenshot_20210206-184745_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210206-184745_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1106 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

and for the second time now I've seen this odd green post by the scoop. Every game I've played has always had a black post sleeve there. Does anyone know what this is or why it's there? It's oversized as well, I've never seen this before.

Looks like a reflection from something green, the bottom is black.

LTG : )

#1107 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks like a reflection from something green, the bottom is black.
LTG : )

Huh, maybe so. It looks like it's partially blocking the scoop. Maybe a weird camera issue or something then

#1108 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Huh, maybe so. It looks like it's partially blocking the scoop. Maybe a weird camera issue or something then

Yeah, Ifyou use your imagination and follow it over into the ramp, I'm pretty sure it's the green saucer on the backglass reflecting in the playfield glass!

Screenshot_20210208-222429 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210208-222429 (resized).png
#1109 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I have one available.

#1110 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Yeah, Ifyou use your imagination and follow it over into the ramp, I'm pretty sure it's the green saucer on the backglass reflecting in the playfield glass![quoted image]

Ha, looks like that's it. I thought the martians were behind this trickery!

#1111 3 years ago

So, uhh anyone looking to leave the club? Been hit with the Big O Beam one too many times? Martians stole your girl, dog, and even hotdog? I've got a hankering to build an Atomic Blaster.

#1112 3 years ago

Didn’t you just list a remake for sale?

#1113 3 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Didn’t you just list a remake for sale?

Me? No. I've been wanting one for a long time and decided to finally track one down. I wasn't sure about the remakes so I went and played the SE on route a couple weeks ago. It's a great looking machine but didn't feel the same to me. I'd rather go with an original.

#1114 3 years ago

I have the lighted topper & saucer mod for my AFM.

Sometimes, but rarely, I would get a slam tilt during gameplay. Figured the slam tilt switch was the culprit so I put some painters tape on the switch to see if that was the case. I would still get a slam tilt.

So I unplugged the topper. Looked like the problem was fixed and everything fine but got another slam tilt.
So I plugged the topper back in & unplugged the saucer mod. Same thing as before....problem seemed to be fixed but eventually got another slam tilt.

I then decided to unplug both the topper and saucer mod and haven't gotten one slam tilt since. (about 2 months now with no slam tilt)

I believe the power tap for those 2 additional mods is the culprit.

I'm just wondering if someone who has these mods can chime in and maybe tell me where they got their power tap? I could compare it to the one I have installed .

It would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

#1115 3 years ago

I do really like that building mod.
Does it ever go on sale?
Generally i'm not a believer in mods outside of fixes, led's and minor cosmetic upgrades (like blades), but the building does really cover up something unattractive.
Might make me feel a little better to save some money on it.

#1116 3 years ago

Just Joined the club, picked up a remake se. Hoping that Mezel makes some more Eat at Eddy's buildings.

#1117 3 years ago

I want to join the club! Who’s got a williams AFM in the Midwest for sale?

#1118 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

i would get the remake. last time i saw the original, it's very dark, poor lighting. remakes looks a lot better. parts easier to repair if breaks.

#1119 3 years ago

My 10 year old just took out TEX. Simultaneously proud and jealous.

#1120 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

i would get the remake. last time i saw the original, it's very dark, poor lighting. remakes looks a lot better. parts easier to repair if breaks.

LMAO

#1121 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Heretic!

#1122 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

I'm not sure it's easier to repair if it breaks, but the modern LE remake looks better.

For the same money, the LE made the original less desirable to me. Perhaps the purists prefer the original, but side by side, AFMLE green is the best version out there. That topper isn't just a visual upgrade. It adds excitement when you play.

#1123 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

the same money, the LE made the original less desirable to me. Perhaps the purists prefer the original, but side by side, AFMLE green is the best version out there. That topper isn't just a visual upgrade. It adds excitement when you play.

Had one, got rid of it and bought an original. The topper was cool but way to loud. Sounded like I was playing next to a washing machine. Playfield quality was crap. Other than that great machine.

#1124 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Had one, got rid of it and bought an original. The topper was cool but way to loud. Sounded like I was playing next to a washing machine. Playfield quality was crap. Other than that great machine.

wow. i'm surprised to hear that. i have the classic. playfield has been good. i did get the color chip and it's very good upgrade. i had one target break. repair was easy, no soldering.

#1125 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

So, uhh anyone looking to leave the club? Been hit with the Big O Beam one too many times? Martians stole your girl, dog, and even hotdog? I've got a hankering to build an Atomic Blaster.

When I was on the hunt for an original I went months and not a single AFM went up for sale within 3-4 hours of my location. I then used the Community Map feature to find people within a 125 mile radius who owned an original and sent all 28 of them a message. 25 replied no, and 3 others entertained offers and I was able to strike a deal for a restored original. Give it a try!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1126 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

When I was on the hunt for an original I went months and not a single AFM went up for sale within 3-4 hours of my location. I then used the Community Map feature to find people within a 125 mile radius who owned an original and sent all 28 of them a message. 25 replied no, and 3 others entertained offers and I was able to strike a deal for a restored original. Give it a try!

Eh, I don't know. I guess I don't feel comfortable asking to buy something not listed for sale. I get PM's about my Andromeda from time to time asking if it's for sale. It doesn't really bother me when someone asks, but I don't think I want to PM a bunch of owners. Although I sure am hoping to find a nice one soon. I turned down a couple last week due to playfield wear.

#1127 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Eh, I don't know. I guess I don't feel comfortable asking to buy something not listed for sale. I get PM's about my Andromeda from time to time asking if it's for sale. It doesn't really bother me when someone asks, but I don't think I want to PM a bunch of owners. Although I sure am hoping to find a nice one soon. I turned down a couple last week due to playfield wear.

Hey, to each their own. I used this strategy to acquire my sought after AFM and my sought after White Water.

#1128 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I have the lighted topper & saucer mod for my AFM.
Sometimes, but rarely, I would get a slam tilt during gameplay. Figured the slam tilt switch was the culprit so I put some painters tape on the switch to see if that was the case. I would still get a slam tilt.
So I unplugged the topper. Looked like the problem was fixed and everything fine but got another slam tilt.
So I plugged the topper back in & unplugged the saucer mod. Same thing as before....problem seemed to be fixed but eventually got another slam tilt.
I then decided to unplug both the topper and saucer mod and haven't gotten one slam tilt since. (about 2 months now with no slam tilt)
I believe the power tap for those 2 additional mods is the culprit.
I'm just wondering if someone who has these mods can chime in and maybe tell me where they got their power tap? I could compare it to the one I have installed .
It would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Bump ^

Would appreciate any help.

#1129 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Bump ^
Would appreciate any help.

Which topper mod?

#1130 3 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

Which topper mod?

This is the one I have. Thanks!

IMG_20200928_1613041.jpgIMG_20200928_1613041.jpg
#1131 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I'm not sure it's easier to repair if it breaks, but the modern LE remake looks better.
For the same money, the LE made the original less desirable to me. Perhaps the purists prefer the original, but side by side, AFMLE green is the best version out there. That topper isn't just a visual upgrade. It adds excitement when you play.

Go to the remake page. The remakes suck. They don’t play the same period. I have owned both. The playfield colors don’t match and they dimple like the moon. The leds are easy change. If you played a “dark” one that is because of the lighting they had in it. I would put mine against any remake junk. Only the topper on the remake LE is cool until you play and sounds like a mechanical nightmare or kitchen appliance. A lot of remake sellers buying originals thus none around. I have had multiple friends. They love the remake until someone shows them the flaws and they play.

#1132 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Go to the remake page. The remakes suck. They don’t play the same period. I have owned both. The playfield colors don’t match and they dimple like the moon. The leds are easy change. If you played a “dark” one that is because of the lighting they had in it. I would mine against any remake junk. Only the topper on the remake LE is cool until you play and sounds like a mechanical nightmare or a kitchen appliance. People are bailing on the fake remakes and buying the original backs. Also no unrepairable node boards.

#1133 3 years ago

Your game being dark is a choice... It's something you can change.

PXL_20210204_022034428 (resized).jpgPXL_20210204_022034428 (resized).jpg
#1134 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Go to the remake page. The remakes suck. They don’t play the same period. I have owned both. The playfield colors don’t match and they dimple like the moon. The leds are easy change. If you played a “dark” one that is because of the lighting they had in it. I would put mine against any remake junk. Only the topper on the remake LE is cool until you play and sounds like a mechanical nightmare or kitchen appliance. A lot of remake sellers buying originals thus none around. I have had multiple friends. They love the remake until someone shows them the flaws and they play.

You sound really upset. As long you're very happy with your game, that's what matters.

No reason to attack the remake unless you're trying to convince yourself. I had the choice to buy either edition. The display is better on the remake too, not just the topper.

#1135 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Lucky you. It took me almost 5 years to buy one in NZ. However, 6 months after I bought the original then the remake was launched. Anyway I still happy with my original. Changing the LEDs is the biggest reason why I want original.

#1136 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

They love the remake until someone shows them the flaws and they play.

My issue with the remake was the flippers. When it came out and I played it, they just felt wrong. It was a timing thing. But I realized it was the same thing I felt playing games from different eras and systems. If I had bought a remake, I’m sure I would have adjusted. However, then a solid original fell into my lap, so I bought it.

As for the other stuff, like colors on the playfield, a bit of dimpling, all sound minor to me. If someone loves a game, but then you pointing out that a color doesn’t match the one on a 25 year old game, so now they hate it, they have other issues.

#1137 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The display is better on the remake too, not just the topper.

The display (while being a good idea) is overrated, don't need it. The remake games have their place. IMHO they are not collectible long term and don't fit in with my collection. I find it strange having a remake debate on an original owner's thread. You guy's have your own thread. I don't feel the need to have to go to the AFMr thread and discuss the viability of buying an original over a remake.

#1138 3 years ago

For those of you who have an original and are missing out on the XL display, there is a guy in NJ who makes a mod for you to upgrade your original to an XL display.

#1139 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

For those of you who have an original and are missing out on the XL display, there is a guy in NJ who makes a mod for you to upgrade your original to an XL display.

Who?

#1140 3 years ago

I would rather have bigger speakers than a bigger display, I kept my MMR LE with the original size screen and upgraded the 5 1/4 speakers.
Matches the look of my AFM high end restore, no problem here mixing it up. Just couldn’t get an original MM in decent condition.

#1141 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

The mmr upgrade kit that they sell for the display and sounds works to modify both mbr and afmr. No the display isn’t better than color dmd. Mine says Bally and boots right up. You have to have a computer screen saw that. Yes the flippers are off as posted above. Yes the delay was improved but not fixed. The remake playfield does not not line up to original. They are different and aren’t interchangeable. It isn’t the same game. That afmr I had was a nightmare. Again this is a AFM thread not a AFMr thread. I now have two friends looking for original AFM. The one is selling his AFMr LE to get the original. Once you see the difference you don’t go back.

#1142 3 years ago

^Agree, I played the remake and not as good but found MMR exceptable.

#1143 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

My issue with the remake was the flippers. When it came out and I played it, they just felt wrong. It was a timing thing. But I realized it was the same thing I felt playing games from different eras and systems. If I had bought a remake, I’m sure I would have adjusted. However, then a solid original fell into my lap, so I bought it.
As for the other stuff, like colors on the playfield, a bit of dimpling, all sound minor to me. If someone loves a game, but then you pointing out that a color doesn’t match the one on a 25 year old game, so now they hate it, they have other issues.

It wasn’t just the color didn’t match the older games, it was the ribbing on the playfeild also, I went through three plastic sets that the paint cracked, the colors were different on every AFMr playfield. None matched each other. My playfield was so soft it would dimple deep and clear coat fisheye. If I buy something new it should be better or the same as a 25 year old game. The remakes did drive down the prices which was helpful.

#1144 3 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

^Agree, I played the remake and not as good but found MMR exceptable.

Mmr they spent years getting the play and look as close to the original. They did a good job. Washed playfield insert was only complaint. First ones were made by stern not at cgc factory. After mmr they said let’s spend money on a lights, display, topper and speakers. Give the bling as most don’t understand the play. MBr play is worst the AFMr. They are nearly a different game. Don’t get me wrong, a remake is better than a worn out beat up original. But a good original blows it out of the water.

#1145 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

You sound really upset. As long you're very happy with your game, that's what matters.
No reason to attack the remake unless you're trying to convince yourself. I had the choice to buy either edition. The display is better on the remake too, not just the topper.

I have owned both. Sold my original. I then bought the LE at launch. Played and was not right. ImThen had a lot of issues with the remake. Adjusted remake constantly. Played a lot on remake at distributor and expo to see if my remake played the same. Buddy’s remakes played the same. Once confirmed I bought an original. Played both and sold the remake. Nothing to convince. Anyone who played both easily could decide. The display is bigger not better. The color dmd is good that is made for the original. Has different modes including hires. I even bought another original AFM when it came up for sale. Yes speaker upgrade is a must on the originals.

#1146 3 years ago

I must have joined the wrong club. I thought this thread was for Bally AFM owners.

#1147 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I must have joined the wrong club. I thought this thread was for Bally AFM owners.

It is... just some temporary dick swinging going on I guess...

#1148 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

It is suppose to be the BALLY AFM owners club not Chicago Gaming AFMr owners club. CGC AFMr has it own owners club. No longer post there since I am not in the CLUB.

#1149 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

It is suppose to be the BALLY AFM owners club not Chicago Gaming AFMr owners club. CGC AFMr has it own owners club. No longer post there since I am not in the CLUB.

Y'all are a very sensitive bunch. There's obvious crossover between the games in which discussion between them is normal.

I didn't mean to swat a beehive. I only initially responded to someone else who brought up the remake.

There's no rule that you can only post if you currently own. I think it's interesting to hear other's viewpoints. Completely civil on my part. I didn't attack anyone.

Sure seems that if a post bothers you, you'd prefer they not post here, deferring to imaginary game ownership rights.

I see posts in this thread showing how to upgrade an original to be like a remake. Call a moderator.

#1150 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Call a moderator.

Create a new thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
16,500 (OBO)
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 21.50
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 44.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome/page/23?hl=pdx-mike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.