• 2,247 posts
  • 309 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by slizzap
  • Topic is favorited by 180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_imageSection	Item	Description	Factory Setting	Value A.1 Standard Adjustments	34	Allow Chase Ball	YES	YES (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1492 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5572 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5549 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5563 (resized).jpeg
DSC00938 (resized).JPG
IMG_0563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 45.
#801 3 years ago

Any idea of where to find a replacement strobe light?

#802 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Just an idea to increase your search.

Years ago for my game. I found a surplus store that had emergency exit lights from a hospital that changed them regularly. Well low and behold it used one of those little glass tube things. Worked great.

LTG : )

#803 3 years ago

I might have extra custom apron cards, i will check when I get home tonight.

#804 3 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

I might have extra custom apron cards, i will check when I get home tonight

Thanks greatly appreciated

#805 3 years ago

Could someone please take a picture of the 89 flasher between the pop bumpers , looks like I have a wrong color wire attached.
Last step and the game is complete
IMG_20200516_1509315 (resized).jpgIMG_20200516_1509315 (resized).jpgIMG_20200515_1854338 (resized).jpgIMG_20200515_1854338 (resized).jpgIMG_20200516_1509297 (resized).jpgIMG_20200516_1509297 (resized).jpgIMG_20200516_1509339 (resized).jpgIMG_20200516_1509339 (resized).jpgIMG_20200516_161646_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20200516_161646_01 (resized).jpg

#806 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Could someone please take a picture of the 89 flasher between the pop bumpers , looks like I have a wrong color wire attached.
Last step and the game is complete
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That’s some interesting color choices on the saucers. Reason why you went with blue? How does it look in The light show?

#807 3 years ago

When I got the pin, had 3 LEDs out and the topper had seen better days. Took the topper apart repaired all and matched it to the Bill Ung Blue saucer mod.
The topper although not seen in the picture is much better as you can see the beams coming down and the red yellow effects don't blend in to all red

#808 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Tests - Flashers - Stop on that one. Hit the Start button then start hitting the "+" diagnostic button. That steps you through flasher, fuse, drive transistor, wire colors, and connector info.

#809 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Tests - Flashers - Stop on that one. Hit the Start button then start hitting the "+" diagnostic button. That steps you through flasher, fuse, drive transistor, wire colors, and connector info.

Thanks Lloyd
Always appreciated

#810 3 years ago

Anyone got a trick I can use to get my left AFM flipper to travel up JUST a hair higher? Strength is good, never rebuilt a flipper before (don't really want to dig into that unless I absolutely must). Oddly enough at the low point it does seem even with the right one and when I move it manually inside the travel is the same so it's definitely some sort of hardware adjustment I guess? The way it is now, you can't trap a ball in the left, believe it or not, angle is JUST enough to roll the ball into the center. Right flipper trap working ideally.

IMG_1290 (resized).jpgIMG_1290 (resized).jpgIMG_1292 (resized).jpgIMG_1292 (resized).jpg
#811 3 years ago

Adjust the eos switch slightly.

#812 3 years ago

eos switch has nothing to do with the maximum position a flipper can achieve !

Maybe the coilstop on one side has worn much more, so the plunger can move further.
Another possibility is that one of the flippers has been rebuilt with another type of base plate, plunger type or coilstop.

#813 3 years ago
Quoted from bbddpp:

Anyone got a trick I can use to get my left AFM flipper to travel up JUST a hair higher? Strength is good, never rebuilt a flipper before (don't really want to dig into that unless I absolutely must). Oddly enough at the low point it does seem even with the right one and when I move it manually inside the travel is the same so it's definitely some sort of hardware adjustment I guess? The way it is now, you can't trap a ball in the left, believe it or not, angle is JUST enough to roll the ball into the center. Right flipper trap working ideally.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Had this issue a lot.

Usually a plunger and/or coil stop more worn on one side.

Your game will play a lot better if you replace coil stops and plungers.

And flippers will then meet in correct position at the top.

#814 3 years ago

I hate to disagree with everyone else, but that doesn’t sound like stops, and it definitely isn’t the eos. And the reason I say that is that he said when he manually moves them up, they go to the same height. If the stops were different, that wouldn’t happen. Worn links or missing spacer inside the left link. The links are that plastic bit attached to the plunger. Normally I would say “gray”, but with plastics, you never know what color was on hand that day. The spacer goes between the link and the bolt. The link actually moves around the spacer, and the spacer is pinched by the bolt to hold it tight.

You can check this by putting up the playfield and holding the plunger and the flipper. Then make a flipper movement by hand. If there is too much play, there is your problem. And time for a rebuild (or at least a mini rebuild).

#815 3 years ago

Sounds like it's time for a rebuild kit - pbresource looks to have some nice ones and I definitely need one for Whirlwind (broken bushing and missing screws). May as well buy two and learn and do both machines!

#816 3 years ago

Resolved ... JET Flasher.
Someone modified the wires , traced back the original wire from the board down, replaced as should be works now as should!
Thanks all for the help!

#817 3 years ago

Good too hear.

#818 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Homepin.

#819 3 years ago

I thought he only reproduced the strobe driver board (that goes behind the backboard) and not the strobe light itself ?

#820 3 years ago

I took my twitch stream of a 29B score (including RTU) and added visual annotations to indicate overall strategy and where the shots are. Is this interesting? Should I do this for other games?

#821 3 years ago

?....
What is a Martian Bomb achieved in Stroke of Luck, what does it do and how and when to use it?

#822 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

?....
What is a Martian Bomb achieved in Stroke of Luck, what does it do and how and when to use it?

Your launch button will blink when it's active. If you hit the launch button while collecting martians in Martian multiball, it spots you one. Best to save it till the last one.

#823 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Your launch button will blink when it's active. If you hit the launch button while collecting martians in Martian multiball, it spots you one. Best to save it till the last one.

Thank you

#824 3 years ago

It can be used as a smart bomb in video mode too

#825 3 years ago
Quoted from stavio:

It can be used as a smart bomb in video mode too

I believe the martian bombs (from Stroke of Luck or spelling martian again while Martian Multiball is lit) aren't tied to the smart bomb in video mode. You always have a single smart bomb in video mode independent of acquiring any martian bombs, and using it does deplete any accumulated martian bombs.

#826 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I believe the martian bombs (from Stroke of Luck or spelling martian again while Martian Multiball is lit) aren't tied to the smart bomb in video mode. You always have a single smart bomb in video mode independent of acquiring any martian bombs, and using it does deplete any accumulated martian bombs.

Yep

1 week later
#827 3 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

I thought he only reproduced the strobe driver board (that goes behind the backboard) and not the strobe light itself ?

Whole kit, board, harness, strobe is for sale @ pinball life

#828 3 years ago
Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

Whole kit, board, harness, strobe is for sale @ pinball life

Sweet !

https://www.pinballlife.com/attack-from-mars-xenon-strobe-light-kit.html

#829 3 years ago

Joined the club this weekend! Game looks to have been sitting for a number of years. It’s dirty and all the lights were burnt out when I turned it on but overall it’s in good shape! However I do have one broken plastic. The one just left if the main saucer (the T Martian). If anyone has a spare unbroken one laying around, I’d like to buy it from you!!

The only other issues I have is the white/yellow GI has a shirt somewhere that I need to find. And the other is all the sicketsbjn the backbox are siliconed to the tub. Not sure if I want to replace all of them now or just take it apart to change the bulbs out.

F9E774FF-11A4-47BC-8FD7-E5AC1B404CE1 (resized).jpegF9E774FF-11A4-47BC-8FD7-E5AC1B404CE1 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#830 3 years ago

New club member checking in! I’ve got a bit of cleaning to do, but it plays well and that’s all that matters!

First thing’s first though—I’m on 1.0–I can only find chips online for 1.1, but I’m reading that 1.13b is the one to get. Where can I find that?

Also, what’s the part number for the mini saucer discs? One broke off in the move. [edit: found it—03-9481]

Thanks!

8E283CEC-D3F0-4796-8B2B-1FDCF22603F8 (resized).jpeg8E283CEC-D3F0-4796-8B2B-1FDCF22603F8 (resized).jpeg

#831 3 years ago

There are two different sizes of the red slim posts up in the pop bumper area. Can someone confirm what ones go where? Looks as if a previous owner just put them in randomly and everything is wonky.

Thanks in advance!

#832 3 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

There are two different sizes of the red slim posts up in the pop bumper area. Can someone confirm what ones go where? Looks as if a previous owner just put them in randomly and everything is wonky.
Thanks in advance!

For the most part, the short ones go underneath the ramps. Lay the ramps out and you'll see what I mean. Once those are in place, it doesn't matter where the long ones go.

#833 3 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

New club member checking in! I’ve got a bit of cleaning to do, but it plays well and that’s all that matters!
First thing’s first though—I’m on 1.0–I can only find chips online for 1.1, but I’m reading that 1.13b is the one to get. Where can I find that?
Also, what’s the part number for the mini saucer discs? One broke off in the move. [edit: found it—03-9481]
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Romsets are available to download here - https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3781

#834 3 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Romsets are available to download here - https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3781

Thanks--I ended up finding a 1.13b EPROM on planetary pinball. I have no means of burning my own at this point.

#835 3 years ago

How difficult is a playfield swap for AFM? I've never done one, but my game included a NOS Bally playfield. The existing playfield isn't awful--it has wear across the inserts coming out of SOL, but besides that and too much mylar, it's in OK shape. But I'm staring at that new playfield and wondering what could be ...

#836 3 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

How difficult is a playfield swap for AFM?

Maybe reach out to @dmacy. He swapped out my playfield, and another AFM playfield recently. I don't think it's too much work, comparatively speaking. But an AFM with a fresh playfield makes a huge difference. Slap on some RADCALS and you have essentially a new game. If you buy from Mirco, there's usually a reasonable discount to get both at the same time. Now is a good time to do this, since planetary has essentially every part you'd need for a swap brand new (I'm guessing because AFMr parts are interchangeable).

IMG_8542 (resized).jpgIMG_8542 (resized).jpgIMG_8551 (resized).jpgIMG_8551 (resized).jpg
#837 3 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

How difficult is a playfield swap for AFM? I've never done one, but my game included a NOS Bally playfield. The existing playfield isn't awful--it has wear across the inserts coming out of SOL, but besides that and too much mylar, it's in OK shape. But I'm staring at that new playfield and wondering what could be ...

AFM is about as easy as they come. Just pay attention to the slim red posts and where they go. There are two different lengths.

#838 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

For the most part, the short ones go underneath the ramps. Lay the ramps out and you'll see what I mean. Once those are in place, it doesn't matter where the long ones go.

That’s kinda what I was thinking. Thanks!

#839 3 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

Here is my experience doing it for the 2nd time.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-tear-down

#840 3 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

On the easier side I think. If you want to see a few other swaps:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attilla-from-mars-another-afm-playfield-swap

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-mirco-playfield-gone-over-by-kruzman-swap

#841 3 years ago

Got the game all cleaned up and playing pretty good. I have a few flakey switches that I think I need to replace but over all I’m happy with it!

695ABA0A-5650-484B-9738-EA0B3B583C23 (resized).jpeg695ABA0A-5650-484B-9738-EA0B3B583C23 (resized).jpeg
#842 3 years ago

Hi All,

I think this is an easy one....but any tech help always appreciated.

The Upper playfield GI lights are out on my AFM.
According to the manual, that is the connector at J106-3
I see the plug is J106... does the -3 mean it is the 3rd pin on that connector ? Does all of the playfield GI go through that plug.
I have reset the plug, GI still does not work.

It does not look too burnt or cooked. Pin's look ok on board as well.

So next steps:
- Is there a fuse specific to just the upper playfield GI that I should check ?
- Could there be a short or something that would cause it ?
- If not, I probably need to replace the connector and if that does not work, the pins on the board.

Where do I buy connector and pins (and which one's there seem to be a ton of them out there). What tools do i need (I have the usual suspects, but I dont think I have tool to insert wires in the connector. Any good pictures or videos of that out there ?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

AFM is still at the top of my list, for some reason I just never get bored of it.... love this pin.

#843 3 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

is an easy one....but any tech help always appreciated.

Because it is AC there are 2 wires to test power on. Go to a socket that is out and check the 2 wire colors then follow from J106. Fuses are F110-F114 check those too to start. Note power comes from transformer at J103 goes through the fuses and a few triacs and comes out J106 or J105 . So you can test there if fuses are good

421C5A71-1A05-41D7-ADBE-6167A629D69F (resized).jpeg421C5A71-1A05-41D7-ADBE-6167A629D69F (resized).jpeg
#844 3 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

Where do I buy connector and pins (and which one's there seem to be a ton of them out there). What tools do i need (I have the usual suspects, but I dont think I have tool to insert wires in the connector. Any good pictures or videos of that out there ?

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/ Ed has what you need. Size .156

Ed has tools too.

#845 3 years ago

If anybody is looking for NOS parts, I listed my NOS AFM Saucer parts and some other items yesterday.
Here’s a link to what I have listed right now (MM, SS, AFM, Pinbot,TOM)

ebay.com link: sch

#846 3 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Here’s a link to what I have listed right now

Your link doesn't go to your items.

#847 3 years ago

Not sure why they didn’t work.
My ebay username is KCToys
You can do an advanced search for a specific seller

Here’s a new link
ebay.com link: 711 53200 19255 0

#848 3 years ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Not sure why they didn’t work.
My ebay username is KCToys
You can do an advanced search for a specific seller
Here’s a new link
ebay.com link

Nope

#850 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'll try.

Nope. Doesn't work.

Go to Ebay - Advance Search - Seller - KCTOYS

He's got some nice stuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

16,500 (OBO)
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome/page/17?hl=nysbadmk8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.