IMG_0563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0568 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1319 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 44.
#501 5 years ago

I am sure this is a dumb question but where does the Lock protector go???

#502 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocd:

I am sure this is a dumb question but where does the Lock protector go???

http://www.passionforpinball.com/AFM-thin/afm_thin.htm

LTG : )

#503 5 years ago

Ok so I see it the Diverter lock edge. Am I missing the picture?

#504 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocd:

Ok so I see it the Diverter lock edge. Am I missing the picture?

For the record. Just got this pic from Cliffy.

AFM-R-diverter-lock-001 (1) (resized).jpgAFM-R-diverter-lock-001 (1) (resized).jpg
#505 5 years ago

All 3 AFM (Bally) pop bumpers have stopped working during gameplay. They all work when I fire them in test mode. Wondering what would cause this and what I can do to correct?

#506 5 years ago

Fire in coil test I’m assuming. Do the skirt switches register in switch test?

#507 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Fire in coil test I’m assuming. Do the skirt switches register in switch test?

Turns out the bottom jet skirt is not working. The wire connections appear to be good. Thoughts?

#508 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball13:

Turns out the bottom jet skirt is not working. The wire connections appear to be good. Thoughts?

Try adjusting the spoons?

#509 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball13:

Turns out the bottom jet skirt is not working.

Tests - Switch Edge - to check.

Check that the leaf blade switch is clean. A piece of paper between the blades, gently push blades together and pull paper out.

Check the plastic spoon the pop bumper skirt rod rests on - clean ? worn ? well centered ?

To adjust the leaf blade switch. The long top one with the plastic spoon should just be resting on, not pushing, the plastic rod coming down from the pop bumper skirt. The shorter lower one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, yet vibration doesn't set it off.

A little tweaking and you'll be an expert at pop bumper leaf blade switch adjusting.

#510 5 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I think the problem is solved. I bent the leaf blade switch closer to the bottom jet and it is working again.

#511 5 years ago

I recently purchased an ATM Backboard Decal and the more I look at the backboard it does not look like it is going to be as easy as everyone says to remove. Am I missing something here. What is the best way to pull it so I can install the decal?
I also am getting a ton of serious airballs off the Martian "T" and "I" targets. Any suggestions how to limit this?
Thanks,

#512 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball13:

I also am getting a ton of serious airballs off the Martian "T" and "I" targets. Any suggestions how to limit this?

Lower flipper strength.

Quoted from Pinball13:

What is the best way to pull it so I can install the decal?

Take enough stuff apart or off of it to get at it.

#513 5 years ago

This Sunday in 11:00am GMT-5 will be playing in Attack from Mars. https://www.twitch.tv/pinballrussia Will be glad if you guys will be with us.

#514 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball13:

I recently purchased an ATM Backboard Decal and the more I look at the backboard it does not look like it is going to be as easy as everyone says to remove. Am I missing something here. What is the best way to pull it so I can install the decal?

I did mine during a full tear down, really the easiest way. To remove the backboard:
Remove the mothership assembly (2 bolts from behind)
Remove all the harnesses that are in the way.
You'll need to remove 2 screws from the L brackets on each side of the backboard.
Then there are 4 screws from underneath the playfield. Be extra careful of the hi voltage strobe board connected to the back of this board!!!!
Mine had an extra decal piece I fitted into the mothership bracket.

20190201_144220 (resized).jpg20190201_144220 (resized).jpg20190211_165230 (resized).jpg20190211_165230 (resized).jpg

#515 5 years ago

I’m looking for an AFM Topper. I love these two, but they are not for sale anymore. Anybody have a topper idea or wanna sell theirs? I’m not a big fan of the current laseriffic AFM Topper out there today. Thanks all.

03B74A23-7E16-4C95-A328-6632BA01E729 (resized).png03B74A23-7E16-4C95-A328-6632BA01E729 (resized).pngE7D2F89A-29D1-4213-A194-78AB50982197 (resized).jpegE7D2F89A-29D1-4213-A194-78AB50982197 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#516 5 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Greetings to the team!
I have some issues with my 3 Bank Target motor, so I ordered one from Marco. The old motor is leaking oil, so I thought that it was time to replace it. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-8023 Marco claims that this fits AFM and Jackbot.
Installing the new motor was easy as it fits perfectly in the target motor bracket. But as I took the motor out of my AFM, I found that the Shaft on the new motor was larger than the original (I think) motor that I had in my machine. The new motor will not fit the existing cam for the assembly. So, to sum it up, the original motor has a smaller shaft than the newer motor.
Has anyone run into this before? Or did Marco get the wrong motor for AFM?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

An update for "Tribal Knowledge" here;

I did verify that I have the smaller 3 Bank Target Motor shaft on my original AFM. I checked jfesler and saw that his machine was the smaller 0.2 inches shaft just like mine. The Marco replacement is a 0.24 inch diameter shaft and is the same motor replacement as Pinball Life has. Pinball Life told me yesterday that the Illinois Pinball motor that all the parts suppliers have is probably all the same (i.e. larger shaft, 0.24 inches).

So to conclude, I am still chasing this to see if Bally/Williams changed the motor somewhere along the line in production. Or does everyone just have the "wrong" newer motor as a replacement?

Since Marco lists this motor as a Pinbot replacement, I am going to post in their forum topic to see if anyone can measure that motor shaft diameter.

I feel like Columbo here in chasing this down...

#517 5 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

An update for "Tribal Knowledge" here;
I did verify that I have the smaller 3 Bank Target Motor shaft on my original AFM. I checked jfesler and saw that his machine was the smaller 0.2 inches shaft just like mine. The Marco replacement is a 0.24 inch diameter shaft and is the same motor replacement as Pinball Life has. Pinball Life told me yesterday that the Illinois Pinball motor that all the parts suppliers have is probably all the same (i.e. larger shaft, 0.24 inches).
So to conclude, I am still chasing this to see if Bally/Williams changed the motor somewhere along the line in production. Or does everyone just have the "wrong" newer motor as a replacement?
Since Marco lists this motor as a Pinbot replacement, I am going to post in their forum topic to see if anyone can measure that motor shaft diameter.
I feel like Columbo here in chasing this down...

It takes a big man to admit he has a small shaft.

#518 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It takes a big man to admit he has a small shaft.

Yeah, but it's not the size of the shaft, it's the size of the Cam that fits on it!

#519 5 years ago

And I was wrong. It's Jack*Bot, not Pinbot. D'oh!

AFM motor (resized).PNGAFM motor (resized).PNG
2 weeks later
#520 5 years ago

I just installed the Bill Ung hall extension mod. I am now getting game resets frequently. Worked through the pinwiki troubleshooting guide. Removed power driver board and looks like someone before me had worked through the recommended rework - including upping voltage setting to 5.2V. The rectifier circuit measures consistently above 9V with less than 300mv ripple throughout game play (even through resets) so everything checks out up to there. The regulator output (measured on power board at 5V test point and/or LM317K case) varies from 5.0V to 5.2V in attract mode - outside the LM317K regulation spec. During game play my meter was able to catch values below 4.8V. Then with the little saucer and hall extension LEDs unplugged the power driver 5v test point measures a solid 5.200 during attract mode and no less than 5.150 during game play - within LM317K regulation. I have also been able to visually correlate low voltage readings in attract mode to number of LEDs lit on the little saucers. So I expect my LM317K is going into current limit and the hall extension was enough to push it below the reset threshold. I'm considering two options - replace LM317K (1.5 amp rating) with a LM350K (3.0 amp rating) or install a Kahr daughter board. I like the idea of replacing the LM317K as it fixes the root problem but it looks like the nuts are soldered to the mounting screws so not sure how easy to remove. Any suggestions/advice appreciated.

#521 5 years ago

Also finally finished my first ever playfield patch. Never again. I give myself a C-. Without Vid's guide it would have been a complete disaster. Learned a lot of things I'd do differently. Before/after pictures below. Not sure why my insert plastics are so visible. The original seemed more opaque

IMG_0159 (resized).JPGIMG_0159 (resized).JPGIMG_0222 (resized).jpgIMG_0222 (resized).jpg
#522 5 years ago
Quoted from Brunsie:

Also finally finished my first ever playfield patch. Never again. I give myself a C-. Without Vid's guide it would have been a complete disaster. Learned a lot of things I'd do differently. Before/after pictures below. Not sure why my insert plastics are so visible. The original seemed more opaque
[quoted image][quoted image]

Are you kidding? That looks great!

#523 5 years ago
Quoted from Brunsie:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I think you did a great job...well done

#524 5 years ago

Looks a hellova lot better than what you had!

#525 5 years ago

Thanks for the kind words on my playfield repair guys!

#526 5 years ago
Quoted from Brunsie:

... or install a Kahr daughter board. .... Any suggestions/advice appreciated.

NO. Do not do that. Fix it right by replacing the problem component. No one needs to buy your problems if you ever sell the game.

I would snag one of these adjustable voltage regulators. They have been around a good number of years, and many people feel they are a solid replacement:

https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/psu5.html#.XJMXGChKiM8

For the mounting nuts, I would anticipate the use of a ratchet on the nuts would "break" the solder joints. Or...you could use desolder rope to get as much of the excess solder off first, and then use a ratchet to gently "break loose" the nuts.

Final installation can be seen in this video. Note, the hexnuts are VERY close to a surface component, so make sure the hexnuts don't touch ANYTHING when you reinstall.

#527 5 years ago

Desperately searching for a trigger coil for the strobe board. I placed an order from an overseas seller on eBay, they never came. Pinbits has gone "crickets". No response from emails or website activity.
Someone have one laying around in a parts bin???
Thx

20190320_124959 (resized).jpg20190320_124959 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#528 5 years ago

Just replaced the 5V regulator (LM 317K 1.5A to LM350K, 3A) and my 5v is solid throughout game play between 5.03 and 5.05 volts - no resets! Game is up and running great now after 3 months of work. Other stuff I did includes installing Cliffies and Mantis protectors, a little playfield repair (Post #521), Pingraffix blades and back board, PDI Glass, Comet Pinball LEDs throughout, Comet Pinball DMD Glare Guard, ROM 1.13b, Bill Ung Extension, new martian brackets, new pop-bumper skirts, reflow of multiple intermittent little saucer LEDs, replaced a few bad switches, and thorough cleaning and wax. A few pictures included. First picture is when I got it home last year. The rest are from last night. Nothing others haven't done but I'm very happy with how it's looking and playing. The PDI glass is amazing. It's like it's not even there.

Day 1 (resized).jpgDay 1 (resized).jpg19-03-27 (resized).jpg19-03-27 (resized).jpgBig Saucer & SOL (resized).jpgBig Saucer & SOL (resized).jpgPDI, LEDS, Glare Gaurd (resized).jpgPDI, LEDS, Glare Gaurd (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#529 4 years ago

i am in the club

IMG_20190406_144449[2] (resized).jpgIMG_20190406_144449[2] (resized).jpgIMG_20190413_182447[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20190413_182447[1] (resized).jpg
#530 4 years ago

Finally!! I’ve wanted to be in this club for a LONG time. However AFM went crazy in pricing. So I had resigned to never joining. But then the remake came out, and it seems to have brought the price of originals down to where I felt good about it. So this is finally in my gameroom! I did a “quick shop” on it to get it ready for my league this month and it cleaned up pretty well. Very pleased!

FEFA5412-C94D-4E82-9451-9C08A13030A2 (resized).jpegFEFA5412-C94D-4E82-9451-9C08A13030A2 (resized).jpeg

#531 4 years ago
Quoted from Brunsie:

Just replaced the 5V regulator (LM 317K 1.5A to LM350K, 3A) and my 5v is solid throughout game play between 5.03 and 5.05 volts - no resets! Game is up and running great now after 3 months of work. Other stuff I did includes installing Cliffies and Mantis protectors, a little playfield repair (Post #521), Pingraffix blades and back board, PDI Glass, Comet Pinball LEDs throughout, Comet Pinball DMD Glare Guard, ROM 1.13b, Bill Ung Extension, new martian brackets, new pop-bumper skirts, reflow of multiple intermittent little saucer LEDs, replaced a few bad switches, and thorough cleaning and wax. A few pictures included. First picture is when I got it home last year. The rest are from last night. Nothing others haven't done but I'm very happy with how it's looking and playing. The PDI glass is amazing. It's like it's not even there.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful.

#532 4 years ago

Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 23.09.03 (resized).pngScreenshot 2019-04-15 at 23.09.03 (resized).png
Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 23.09.15 (resized).pngScreenshot 2019-04-15 at 23.09.15 (resized).png

Decals installed! Think its looks awesome

2 weeks later
#533 4 years ago

I dragged my dad to Pinfest yesterday and AFM (remake LE) was his absolute favorite game. It grew a lot on me too. I hope to be joining your club at some point...so much fun. It still managed to overshadow Wonka despite the hype of that machine (which is also awesome, of course).

#534 4 years ago

I’ve just bought a nice original AFM
Can I get the groups opinion of the following?
Target decal set - best ones?
Backboard decal?
Is the 3D translite worth getting?
Saucer mods?
Any other mods that are a must?

#535 4 years ago

Does anyone know where to send your martians to have the red leds installed? Is anyone offering this service?

#536 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Backboard decal?
Saucer mods?

Hi! i have target decals, side and backboard decals.

#537 4 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Hi! i have target decals, side and backboard decals.

Which ones though? There are couple of different ones and not certain which design is best

#538 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Backboard decal?
Saucer mods?

Bil Ung mini-saucer-mod
Gozmod mothership led-mod

Red-Ramps, looks stellar! (in my opinion )

AFM-Red (resized).pngAFM-Red (resized).png
#539 4 years ago

3d translite looks awesome on mine and the gozmod main saucer mod is an absolute must, also fairly priced.

Quoted from allsportdvd:

Backboard decal?
Saucer mods?

#540 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Which ones though? There are couple of different ones and not certain which design is best

ebay.com link: itm

Dm me if you need something. Discounts for pinsiders available

#541 4 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

ebay.com link
ebay.com link
ebay.com link
ebay.com link
ebay.com link
Dm me if you need something. Discounts for pinsiders available

Looks nice
(nice collection you have )

#542 4 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Looks nice
(nice collection you have )

Thanks

3 weeks later
#543 4 years ago

I’m in need of a left wire ramp. Does anyone have a spare or a lead on where to find one?

#544 4 years ago
#545 4 years ago

Thanks mate, ordered!

#546 4 years ago

And here are some pics with the vbobrusev art blades and backboard decal installed.

86CC1A5F-1D3D-4DA4-BF20-AB20909D06A0 (resized).jpeg86CC1A5F-1D3D-4DA4-BF20-AB20909D06A0 (resized).jpeg9850C74E-9BDB-41D9-BD9F-6843BCE5CB0D (resized).jpeg9850C74E-9BDB-41D9-BD9F-6843BCE5CB0D (resized).jpegEAFE4974-0653-4EED-811E-54CC54A615FE (resized).jpegEAFE4974-0653-4EED-811E-54CC54A615FE (resized).jpeg
#547 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

And here are some pics with the vbobrusev art blades and backboard decal installed.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hope you like it

#548 4 years ago

Just picked up an AFM this weekend. Booted fine at the seller's house, but is now immediately blowing F106 on every boot. Checked the underside of the playfield for a possible short and everything looks fine. Unplugged J105, J106, and J126 from the board to hopefully rule out a short in the cabinet. Fuse still blows immediately. Have I missed any connectors that are downstream from F106 that I should be unplugging to determine whether it's a board issue or a playfield issue?

I did some preliminary checking on the D11-D14 diodes and they seem fine, but I'm new to the multimeter so take that with a grain of salt.

#549 4 years ago

F106 is the 18 volt lamp matrix. You might try pulling J121 and J125 too.

#550 4 years ago

Just joined the club! I got a very nice restored gem. My question is it has the bill ung saucer mod, how hard is it to remove them with breaking them to paint my saucers? Anybody do this yet? Any advice appreciated.

ADC57C33-B7E2-4C52-A14E-6A826C4CE764 (resized).jpegADC57C33-B7E2-4C52-A14E-6A826C4CE764 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 21.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 44.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome/page/11?hl=whitewater and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.