(Topic ID: 101269)

"ATTAAAACK!!!" No Good Gofers Club. All welcome.

By Marten

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,133 posts
  • 291 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by GoldenBear
  • Topic is favorited by 111 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7E8F554B-7665-4393-B5A7-C7C1539FBD6B (resized).jpeg
DAC7E899-1D88-447B-B994-BBE86E8A2E9D (resized).png
36-50061-PL (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0053 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0055 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7882 (resized).jpg
IMG_8510 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8511 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5437 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2773 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2709 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider theonlyest.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1487 2 years ago
Quoted from Buthamburg:

At the moment we dont have time to do the decoration

Please give this group a heads up if/when you produce some decorated sets of these.

#1492 2 years ago

Hey gang, does anyone have, or know where I can find a high-res file of the lower cabinet graphics? One that might be used to print decals, altho I am not doing that.

#1494 2 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

We are happy to announce that finally original WMS tooled Buzz and Budd Gophers are available again! Buzz 31-2955.1 and Budd 31-2956.1 are now here to stay. Decorated by Back Alley Creations for that authentic detailed look! These are injection molded figures (not silicon molded) and correct material and color.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-31-295X-1

I ordered a set over the weekend... Hopefully it will ship soon!

#1496 2 years ago
Quoted from sbauers73:

just ordered replacement bud and buzz from planetary pinball. Are there any tricks or a best way to put new ones in? I havent had glass off since they both broke 6 months ago.

The common advice is to do it with them down, from under the playfield.

#1499 2 years ago

While i'm swapping my gofers, i'm going to strip and repaint the black caps with some high-end ceramic paint, then put mylar on them to protect the paint.
Seems like with home use, they should stay pretty for a few years!

#1505 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. I believe any wpc95 with the "tub" style backbox was a translite. I can check my NGG later tonight

You are incorrect... The exact opposite it true. NGG has a backglass, not a translite, as do all games with the integrated light panel.
If your NGG has a translite, its a repro and a sheet of glass, not original.

#1507 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

According to my game, you're both wrong: NGG has a non-mirrored backglass.
I did see a mirrored version for sale once at Expo (on a wall, not in a game), but all the gofers I saw otherwise had a backglass with no mirroring in the artwork.
AFM was a 'light tub' game and had a translite.

I said nothing about "mirrored".

1 month later
#1520 2 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

My NGG is having some sound issues.

Do a RAM clear... Turn the game off and remove the batteries and let it sit for 10 mins, then do the reverse.
You'll lose your settings and high scores, but that usually clears up nutty behaviors.

3 months later
#1541 2 years ago

Nice stuff, but how does the panel decal cover the raised "Williams" logo and not look terrible?

1 week later
#1557 2 years ago
Quoted from Danineng:

Does putting some foam or felt on the bottom of the slam-ramp really protect the playfield well?

Its a good fail safe, but it must be the thinnest felt you can find, like fuzzy paper. More importantly, what 95% of people dont realize is, if properly adjusted, no part of the slam ramp should ever make contact with the playfield!

#1563 2 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

How is it adjusted? All the mounting holes were static from what I remember

After much "slamming" the coil-stay can start to bend down (even a hair!), not necessarily obvious to the eye. Make sure its level, or you can even bend it upward toward the PF, which will shorten the plunger travel. If you push the ramp all the way down by hand, you should be able to slide 3 stacked pieces of copy paper under it. If your ramp doesnt hit, but your flap does, obviously you can carefully bend that upward slightly as well. Contrary to popular belief, a ramp flap doesnt need to contact the PF with pressure to be functional as intended.
Also make sure the screws that attach the posts are not only tight and loctite is used, but that they are the correct ones!!

From a logic perspective, Lawlor and Williams didnt create a game element that would very obviously destroy the PF over time.

1 month later
#1576 2 years ago
Quoted from sagejr:

I'm looking for a slam ramp overlay and can see them available at multiple sites. Can anyone recommend which is the best one to buy?

I got mine from Treasure Cove. Expensive, but its excellent quality and if you install it correctly, you'll never know its even there.
Use glazing putty to fill any divots in the PF where the ramp marks are, wet sand lightly with 800 grit and then clean the area with windex.
Use the soap & water method to position the overlay, but dont dally, the decal will lock on quickly!
I suggest putting mylar over it... I laid the overlay decal on top of a mylar sheet, then cut the mylar out about 1/2" larger all the way around the overlay.
Lastly, inspect and adjust the slam ramp related components so it doesn't hit the PF anymore (its not supposed to actually touch the PF)!!

TMI for the question? just trying to help.... Good luck!

#1583 2 years ago
Quoted from sagejr:

So it's not protected with Mylar already hence your recommendation of using mylar on top?

The overlay is laminated but its very thin, so the lamination and ink may wear off over time or if you rubbed it with chemicals. A non-concern for me with the mylar. If the ramp continues hitting the PF, it will probably shred up the decal quickly without the mylar protection.

1 month later
#1650 2 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Huge Thank You!!! and shout out to latenite04 I really appreciate everything you have done for me! This is a good dude folks!
[quoted image]

Puuuurdy!

3 weeks later
#1680 2 years ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Hello folks. Looking for some tips with some wheel errors that I am currently experiencing. A few weeks ago my machine started randomly throwing a "wheel motor is broken" error and a "wires to wheel motor are backwards" error. At first I ignored this as the wheel was still functioning normally. After being annoyed by this for a few days I decided to take the opportunity to replace my wheel decal and clean up the mech. I pulled the mech, cleaned it, cleaned the optos and the connector pins and replaced the decal. Once I reinstalled the wheel the errors were still present and now the outer opto doesn't always work. This means that the awards are off. Also whenever the wheel award is players choice the wheel just spins and the flipper buttons do nothing. Occasionally when testing the single switch outer wheel opto the switch will close but it's seems random and based on height of the wheel and the wheel mech angle. I have been adjusting wheel height and angle. I can't the outer wheel opto switch to close regularly. I suspect this is the root cause of the above errors. Am I missing something?
Thanks

Quoted from Blu:

I have the same problem and have never been able fix it. It comes and goes even after rebuilding everything.
If you figure it out, I’d love to know what this goblin is.

Ok, this may sound nuts but... If your flasher for the insert "Wheel Value" was replaced with an LED.... Try changing just that flasher bulb back to an incandescent bulb and see what happens.

#1682 2 years ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Just checked mine. I have two bulbs under the insert. The flasher is incandescent but bulb right next to it. GI I guess is LED.

Go to flasher test mode and make sure the flasher bulb isn't burned out.

4 weeks later
#1692 2 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

I'm finally ready to put my gofers back together tomorrow. I had to order some 7/16 aluminum rod and an 1/8 slitting saw but my dad had the other machinery I needed to make my gofer plunger. I also modeled the plunger and ordered it printed in nylon just to see if that's a viable option. I know the aluminum one will work so I'm going to put the nylon one in to test how it holds up.
[quoted image]

Nice work!!

2 months later
#1715 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Thank you! Couldn't ask for better pics.
One more question if I may. What does it get wired into under the playfield. I don't see any obvious locations or open connectors.
Thanks again.

Someone must have removed the connector... Cant imagine why, but most operators are stupid hacks. You can just solder the leads to a GI socket or do it correctly and make an inline connector.

1 week later
#1726 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

That's what I'm afraid of. I just went through a similar problem with NBAFB. I ended up swapping both the MPU and Power Driver board. They both were bad. Two different problems. I swapped a functioning power driver board into Gophers and the problem persists. I haven't tried swapping the MPU yet. Ugh. PITA when you don't have a chip puller.

Before going to all that trouble, try a RAM clear, take the batteries out and leave the game off for 1/2hr. You'll lose all your settings and scores, but same if you swap out the MPU, unless you have a spare MPU with NGG ROM's.

#1728 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Just tried that. Thanks for the idea but it didn't resolve the issue. I'll remember that for the future though.

It clears up many nutty logic problems, which appears to be the cause, based on your testing results thus far. I'm wondering if your RAM is failing or has some bad blocks.

#1730 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

This is two machines lately that have had similar problems. Both wpc-95 both back to back on the production line. Are we reaching the threshold failure for wpc-95 era boards, chips etc? Probably not but it seems funny to me.

It really depends on the games history... how long it was routed, how many plays, how many hours its been powered on, etc.
RAM should theoretically last the life of the game, but dirty power, spikes, heat and fluctuating voltages due to power supply components not performing as they once did, are all factors. boards dont typically fail, and can almost always be repaired if they do, but notorious components like capacitors, transistors and IC's certainly do fail.

#1733 1 year ago
Quoted from latenite04:

I really like this mini prybar style chip extractor. It also works well when trying to get stiff ribbon cables loose.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/wiha/26810/510546

That's as good as any! I've been doing it with a 90 degree pick or a tiny flat head screwdriver for nearly 40 years so...

#1735 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

What about the CPU itself? Those old sockets are brittle.

If you're referring to the processor (ASIC chip), there's no need to bother with that in your case, and that is not game specific. There is a specific tool for the ASIC chip, but you don't use that tool for IC's or SIP chips like ROM & RAM chips.
Even an IC removal tool is only good for socketed chips, most of the IC's on the MPU are soldered and are destroyed to be safely desoldered and removed. Typically only the ROM chips are socketed because they are commonly replaced for updates. So if you are replacing a non-socketed chip (like RAM), its best to solder a socket in place of the removed IC and then its easily replaced in the future.

1 month later
#1755 1 year ago
Quoted from Ryancaseystudio:Helping a buddy out with his NGG that he just got and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. When powered on everything works and plays well but we are not getting any sound. The other thing is the DMD looks shot. See picture. I'm wondering if the DMD issue could be causing the lack of sound. I can't do test or diagnostics because I can't read the screen. We are planning to replace the DMD for a ColorDMD (if we can find one). If anyone is selling one, please let me know.
[quoted image]

One board controls both the sound and DMD, typically if a DMD lights up, its ok... My first instinct would be to make sure none of the ribbon cables are off by a pin or 2. Clearly this is an issue with the A/V board or the data signal to it from the CPU, since both functions are wonky.

#1763 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Just picked up a mint HUO NGG yesterday! Everything original, with the owner handing the receipt from 1998.

Nice!! I worked at the Livonia, MI location of CCME back in 1991-92. That's when I got Williams tech certified. The last thing I did before I left, was buy a shiny new T2 (at cost), and I still have it!
Congrats on a kickass find, and thanks for the throwback... Even though it fully renews my contempt and fury for the despicable greed that has ruined this hobby.

8 months later
#1825 1 year ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

updated the kit information sheet
No Good Gofers: Battle For The Green (NGG:B4G)

Interesting! Weird that this is my first clue that this even existed! Looks pretty cool!

1 month later
#1831 1 year ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

I decided to shop my NGG.

You sure did!

1 month later
#1867 11 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

the following are images and comments from Louis Koziarz, archived at http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2023/03/louis-koziarz-pinball-files.html

Thanks for posting all that! The coolest thing i've seen and read, about pinball, in a while!!

#1869 11 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

while I was in there I found this hidden back in a loom. No idea what it goes to, there are no loose connectors near it, etc..

Based on the wire colors, that plug would be for a GI string that would be attached to a detachable playfield assembly with GI lights on it, like an upper PF, spotlights, etc. Its entirely possible that it is unused. You could confirm this by checking if there is 5-6VAC at that connector.

4 months later
#1990 6 months ago
Quoted from Geoknight:

Need help. I have a flasher light that stays on and won’t go off. I had a loose wire that was shorting out. But after replacing the fuse and fixing the loose wire, no more blown fuses. I switched out the wire to another flasher light, so I know it’s not getting power from a switch. I think my problem is in the board. I am not really sure if I am barking up the right tree. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Find which driver transistor relates to that flasher in the solenoid matrix and replace it. Leaving that transistor shorted and "on" all the time will eventually overheat and burn up your PD board. Stop playing the game until you fix it, don't let a $1 problem turn into a $200+ problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,800 (OBO)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider theonlyest.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attaaaack-no-good-gofers-club-all-welcome?tu=theonlyest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.