(Topic ID: 101269)

"ATTAAAACK!!!" No Good Gofers Club. All welcome.

By Marten

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,133 posts
  • 291 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by GoldenBear
  • Topic is favorited by 111 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7E8F554B-7665-4393-B5A7-C7C1539FBD6B (resized).jpeg
DAC7E899-1D88-447B-B994-BBE86E8A2E9D (resized).png
36-50061-PL (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0053 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0055 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7882 (resized).jpg
IMG_8510 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8511 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5437 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2773 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2709 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,133 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 43.
#901 6 years ago
Quoted from Elcochino6:

How do you get access to the right cart path spinner to adjust it and or replace it? I have the clear overlay off (with the cart and hole in one) but can’t seem to get the right blue ramp off despite taking all visible nuts off on right side. Is there access from the underside of the playfield?

The ramp is not only attached by hardware on the far right, but by machine screws into the sides of the right metal ramp. You can access these topside. It also is plugged in to 4 connectors beneath the pf, and is fitted into the back board slot. It will lift out, no prob, just find everything and unscrew. You’ll have easy access to the spinner which can be removed entirely if needed with two nuts and a plug.

#902 6 years ago

Ok I’m kinda stumped on this one. My NGG was playing fine except for two rollover switches not activating every time (right out lane and right cart path). I lifted the playfield and adjusted the switches. When I put it back down and restarted the game, all 6 balls just kept ejecting into the shooter lane and were fired out into the play field. At this time everything acts as it is supposed to during a game, except that pressing the flipper buttons does nothing. The balls continue cycle through the machine until I shut it down. The right gofer also remains in the up position during this time, and the putting green fires trying to find balls.

When I go into test mode it tells me that “wheel motor is broken”. The motor spins free from underneath and is not locked up. I took a look at the motor control board under the playfield and noticed the 100uf 35v capacitor was puffed out with a tiny leak, so I replaced that and restarted but still got the same result with the error and the balls ejecting.

I then figured it might be a dirty opto sensor on the ball ejector as there are six of them, so I took the assembly apart on both side and cleaned the opto leds, and realigned them. Turned the machine back on and still the same problem.

I reseated all connectors under the playfied and in the back box and changed the batteries for good measure (no acid corrosion).

Can someone point me in the direction of where else to start or what tests to run?

I also uploaded a short video of what the machine is doing here:

https://streamable.com/wbirb

Thanks so much for any suggestions or advice.

#903 6 years ago
Quoted from Elcochino6:

How do you get access to the right cart path spinner to adjust it and or replace it? I have the clear overlay off (with the cart and hole in one) but can’t seem to get the right blue ramp off despite taking all visible nuts off on right side. Is there access from the underside of the playfield?

I assume you are trying to get access to the switch? You can get it with the right ramp on, needle nose pliers might be helpful. I had to put a crimp on one of the wires to the switch earlier in the thread as somehow it got sliced which appears to be somewhat common reading other posts.

4 weeks later
#904 6 years ago

I am planning on buying an NVRAM for my game, but not sure which chip type to go with. I obviously know that NGG is a WPC-95 game, but on Pinitech's website, it says those type games "could use either a 62256 SRAM or 6264 SRAM". I have done other Williams games before and simply matched the number from the existing RAM on the game with the replacement I needed.

However, on my Gofers, the existing chip doesn't seem to list one or the other of 62256 or 6264. Anyone have an idea or recommendation for which NVRAM chip to purchase?

NGG RAM.JPGNGG RAM.JPG

#905 6 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

I am planning on buying an NVRAM for my game, but not sure which chip type to go with. I obviously know that NGG is a WPC-95 game, but on Pinitech's website, it says those type games "could use either a 62256 SRAM or 6264 SRAM". I have done other Williams games before and simply matched the number from the existing RAM on the game with the replacement I needed.

However, on my Gofers, the existing chip doesn't seem to list one or the other of 62256 or 6264. Anyone have an idea or recommendation for which NVRAM chip to purchase?

I choose not to NVRAM because I wasn't comfortable soldering in a socket. I did un-solder the battery holder from the board and install a remote one in the bottom behind the speaker.

#906 6 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Your chip is a 6264 equivalent. So you can replace it with the 6264 NVRAM.

Relatively easy to figure out on the non-typical part numbers. Googling "LH5160-10L" brings up some data sheets / summaries in the first few search results. If you see 8K x 8 mentioned, that's a 6264 equivalent part.... your LH5160-10L is a 6264. If it was 32K x 8 that would be a 62256.

#907 6 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

I got mine for my dr. dude from http://nvram.weebly.com/ Little bit cheaper with shipping and includes socket. No issues. I would specify you want a socket just to be safe.

#908 6 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

You can use FM1608-120-PG, which are a direct replacement for the chip on your board. These chips cost about $2 on Ebay and AliExpress. This link has a lot of information about getting those chips and putting them in WPC games https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-experience and this link for photos doing a NGG: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-experience#post-2798593.

One thing to keep in mind is that the traces on WPC MPU boards are delicate and can be pulled easily. If you are to going to do this yourself, remove the old chip by cutting of all the legs and remove them one by one. Make sure to add a socket for the new chip. Don't worry about saving the old chip -- if you want an old one, just PM me and I'll mail you one that I've pulled.

#909 6 years ago

Thanks for everyone's replies, all really helpful. I have done WPC-95 games before and know how delicate the traces are so I'm not intimidated by the board and solder work. NVRAMs are the best solution in my opinion if you don't mind doing a little extra work. Pinitech also includes the socket (already included in the price of the chip) if you so choose that option during checkout.

Quoted from lyonsden:

You can use FM1608-120-PG, which are a direct replacement for the chip on your board.

I'll have to look into these. They work just as any other NVRAM chip? The chip itself on my game is good, just want to eliminate batteries altogether.

#910 6 years ago

Does anyone know when the red dome above the upper flipper is supposed to illuminate? It is not listed in the manual lamp or flasher locations and does not light up through lamp, flasher, or GI tests.

NGG Red Dome (resized).jpgNGG Red Dome (resized).jpg

#911 6 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Thanks for everyone's replies, all really helpful. I have done WPC-95 games before and know how delicate the traces are so I'm not intimidated by the board and solder work. NVRAMs are the best solution in my opinion if you don't mind doing a little extra work. Pinitech also includes the socket (already included in the price of the chip) if you so choose that option during checkout.

I'll have to look into these. They work just as any other NVRAM chip? The chip itself on my game is good, just want to eliminate batteries altogether.

Yes, they are the "original" NVRAM chip for standard battery powered RAM in WPC. Most of the ones you buy online are pulls from old equipment (copy machines, I think). The new chips with adapter boards are made by various people here because those old chips became very, very rare due to not being manufactured (before old pulls were available). It is up to you which way you want to go, I've been running FM1608-120-PG in all of my games for years without any problem. You may get a bum chip (I've had one in the nearly 100 I've purchased), but if you socket it, it is easy to swap with another (and you might as well purchase 5 for $10).

#912 6 years ago

Personally I think a remote holder is much simpler than pulling out the chip and soldering in another one. I did it for Dr. Dude as I had to replace another chip anyway. In my gofers I have a rotten dog MPU that has the ram socketed so I'm thinking maybe I get one of these 2 dollar chips and throw it in.

#913 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Personally I think a remote holder is much simpler than pulling out the chip and soldering in another one. I did it for Dr. Dude as I had to replace another chip anyway. In my gofers I have a rotten dog MPU that has the ram socketed so I'm thinking maybe I get one of these 2 dollar chips and throw it in.

If you have the skills to remove the old chip, NVRAM is the way to go. In the long run, it is cheaper than batteries with zero chance of battery leaks (yes, remote holder does keep the board safe, but if they leak, it can still make a mess.) The only downside with NVRAM is that the time will not be kept in sync with the real world as the game's internal clock only works when there is power. For NGG, that is not a big deal, but for some games with a midnight madness mode or a real clock on the playfield, it can annoy some people. These games have a midnight madness mode that is triggered at midnight:

Congo
Dirty Harry
Johnny Mnemonic
Junk Yard
NBA Fastbreak
Who Dunnit

And Twilight Zone has a clock that shows the real time when it is turned on.

#914 6 years ago

I get what you are saying, but its honestly not really a hassle to check the batteries every once in awhile. The only way you have a major issue is if you are a moron and store the games with the batteries in them like me.

Quoted from lyonsden:

If you have the skills to remove the old chip, NVRAM is the way to go. In the long run, it is cheaper than batteries with zero chance of battery leaks (yes, remote holder does keep the board safe, but if they leak, it can still make a mess.) The only downside with NVRAM is that the time will not be kept in sync with the real world as the game's internal clock only works when there is power. For NGG, that is not a big deal, but for some games with a midnight madness mode or a real clock on the playfield, it can annoy some people. These games have a midnight madness mode that is triggered at midnight:
Congo
Dirty Harry
Johnny Mnemonic
Junk Yard
NBA Fastbreak
Who Dunnit
And Twilight Zone has a clock that shows the real time when it is turned on.

#915 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I get what you are saying, but its honestly not really a hassle to check the batteries every once in awhile. The only way you have a major issue is if you are a moron and store the games with the batteries in them like me.

I am that moron (and have repaired way too many games due to battery leakage. . . )

#916 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

If you have the skills to remove the old chip, NVRAM is the way to go.

Quoted from lyonsden:

I am that moron (and have repaired way too many games due to battery leakage. . . )

I am in agreeance with both of these statements. I used to have remote battery packs on my games but became too much of a hassle to write down when the batteries were changed, throwing away dead batteries, buying new ones, checking voltage to see if only one battery is bad, etc.

Although I will say that some board work can be intimidating to some people, which is totally fine. And if that's the case, remote battery packs are a totally viable option and way better than leaving the batteries on the board. If you ever sell you game, the next owner will be very pleased to know you at least did something to take the batteries off the board.

#917 6 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

I am in agreeance with both of these statements. I used to have remote battery packs on my games but became too much of a hassle to write down when the batteries were changed, throwing away dead batteries, buying new ones, checking voltage to see if only one battery is bad, etc.
Although I will say that some board work can be intimidating to some people, which is totally fine. And if that's the case, remote battery packs are a totally viable option and way better than leaving the batteries on the board. If you ever sell you game, the next owner will be very pleased to know you at least did something to take the batteries off the board.

Guys I have no idea why people are still talking about remote battery packs. Put in Lithium AA batteries last very very long and can NEVER leak. NVRAM only other opinion. Leave them on the board get rid of the pack.

#918 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballCoug:

Does anyone know when the red dome above the upper flipper is supposed to illuminate?

It illuminates at various times, but I believe that it is tied to the right spinner insert flasher (not the spinner insert GI light).

Robert

#919 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

It illuminates at various times, but I believe that it is tied to the right spinner insert flasher (not the spinner insert GI light).
Robert

Rip Off Multiball

#920 6 years ago

What are the goals of Rip off Multiball?

#921 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What are the goals of Rip off Multiball?

Turn a 2 ball multi ball into a potential 5 ball multi ball by repeat hits to the captive ball.

#922 6 years ago

Is it the same upper left ramp for jp's during that? Been a while since I've played.

#923 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Robert

I did some investigation today and you are correct, it's tied to flasher 20 the right spinner. I cleaned up the contact a bit and mine is working again. Thanks

1 week later
#924 6 years ago

I finally made a Pinduino kit for No Good Gofers! I really like how this came out. Addressable LEDs are mounted to the ramps facing towards the middle of the playfield and do a great job of lighting the game up!

Code is open source: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/No-Good-Gofers

And you can get a plug and play kit from my pinside store: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/No-Good-Gofers

Or make your own (Pinduino needed): https://docs.google.com/document/d/11dvWLn5GuwVkKGALNcZdN98K1qqAlEKzqyIpqNevzU4/edit

Lights off:
IMG_6831.JPG (resized).jpegIMG_6831.JPG (resized).jpeg

Lights on:
IMG_6832.JPG (resized).jpegIMG_6832.JPG (resized).jpeg

#925 6 years ago

Are there any good toppers for NGG? All I see is the laserriffic one and while its a very nice topper, its basically just the backglass logo repeated.

#926 6 years ago

Hey everyone! New member here. Just picked up the game on Saturday!

Looking forward to dialing this thing in and getting familiar with the game.

AFCAAEF7-7861-4403-8594-FFEA43495C9C (resized).jpegAFCAAEF7-7861-4403-8594-FFEA43495C9C (resized).jpeg

F009F59F-F90E-4B32-945A-8E44789D2089 (resized).jpegF009F59F-F90E-4B32-945A-8E44789D2089 (resized).jpeg

D2443C6F-8F2B-431D-BA07-CCAA647D81AB (resized).jpegD2443C6F-8F2B-431D-BA07-CCAA647D81AB (resized).jpeg

#927 6 years ago

Also, looking for some recommendations on lighting/spotlight kits. I will re-do the GI with brighter lights but still might need some LED strips or spotlights.

#928 6 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Also, looking for some recommendations on lighting/spotlight kits. I will re-do the GI with brighter lights but still might need some LED strips or spotlights.

Welcome to the club. NGG is a family and guest favorite at my house. Each his own, but if you go all LED on the game (including GI and spots) it should be plenty bright without the need for LED strips or additional spotlights. Enjoy the game!

#929 6 years ago

My game is old school incandescent and I just played in the dark. I would like it a little brighter to play in the dark, but I really don't think you would need LED strips or anything like that.

#930 6 years ago

Ok thanks guys, I will do some quick replacements for the GI and give it a go!

#931 6 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Ok thanks guys, I will do some quick replacements for the GI and give it a go!

comet 2smd works just fine.Can play in the dark

#932 6 years ago

I really just want a boss gofer retrofit. Joke or not, that gofer is cool.

#933 6 years ago

A few more questions,

-the slam ramp doesn’t seem to be going up enough. Is there anything I can adjust or tweak? I haven’t gone under to look at it just yet

-is there any way to get the daily high score default any lower? It’s at 15 mil right now.

2 weeks later
#934 6 years ago

Does anyone have a tip on adjusting the ball guide at the end of the shooter lane so that it shoots cleanly up the left ramp?

Mine shoots high and hits the upper post at the left ramp (both manual and autoplunges). I've bent the end of the ball guide inward which fixes the problem for maybe one game then the problem returns.

#935 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballCoug:

Does anyone have a tip on adjusting the ball guide at the end of the shooter lane so that it shoots cleanly up the left ramp?
Mine shoots high and hits the upper post at the left ramp (both manual and autoplunges). I've bent the end of the ball guide inward which fixes the problem for maybe one game then the problem returns.

You can loosen up the nuts that hold the ball guide from under the play field. The holes are big enough to allow for adjustments. I had the same problem when I first got my game.

#936 6 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

You can loosen up the nuts that hold the ball guide from under the play field. The holes are big enough to allow for adjustments. I had the same problem when I first got my game.

Well....I'm not sure how I missed that easily identifiable slotted hole under the playfield that is designed for ball guide adjustment!!! Much thanks for pointing me in the right direction, it was a 30 second fix and now plays perfectly. When adjusting I noticed a washer imprint well up the slot where I ultimately moved and tightened the nut, so it seems this nut came loose over time and the ball guide slowly moved out of position.

#937 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballCoug:

Well....I'm not sure how I missed that easily identifiable slotted hole under the playfield that is designed for ball guide adjustment!!! Much thanks for pointing me in the right direction, it was a 30 second fix and now plays perfectly. When adjusting I noticed a washer imprint well up the slot where I ultimately moved and tightened the nut, so it seems this nut came loose over time and the ball guide slowly moved out of position.

My slam ramp was out of position for 16 years or so and I never noticed so don't feel bad.

#938 6 years ago

I have had my NGG machine for about a month, has been working great.

Last night the slam ramp got stuck in down position. Looked for anything obvious but not sure of the issue. Does the spring alone push it back up? When I fiddled with it under the playfield the spring was not strong enough to push it up.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

#939 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I really just want a boss gofer retrofit. Joke or not, that gofer is cool.

Any pics of this,don’t think I’ve seen this mod.

#940 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Any pics of this,don’t think I’ve seen this mod.

There is like one pic floating around. http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/games/gofers/funstuff.htm

Apparently it was a joke, but still I would retrofit that in mine in a heartbeat.

#941 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

There is like one pic floating around. http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/games/gofers/funstuff.htm
Apparently it was a joke, but still I would retrofit that in mine in a heartbeat.

Damn it I forgot about that a long time ago.Thats pretty crazy

#942 6 years ago

Anyone ever have a problem when the spinning wheel awards a Players Choice and the flippers won't stop the wheel and progress the game to give the award?

I just started having this issue and the machine starts going into a ball search, the music doesn't change, and it forces a reset.

I didn't see anything missing or loose under the playfield.

#943 6 years ago

Finally replaced the stock RAM with an NVRAM (I asked about it a few months back on here, but just haven't had much time to mess with games in a while.)

Since the stock RAM is soldered onto the board and not socketed, I clipped the legs of the RAM with a pair of dikes (diagonal pliers), then used the solder sucker to remove the solder. This system worked really well, the sucker actually sucked the cut legs right up with the solder with relative ease. If anyone is worried about board work because of the delicate traces on these WPC boards, this is a great technique to really minimize the changes of damaging those traces.

I wish I had taken some pictures along the way, but I had been putting it off for so long that I just did it without really thinking of taking pictures. Just thought I would relay some info to hopefully make things easier for anyone else thinking about NVRAM, but too nervous to do so because of the fine traces on the board.

#944 6 years ago

Anyone have tips for diagnosing and dealing with a switch 45 right popper jam error?

#945 6 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Anyone ever have a problem when the spinning wheel awards a Players Choice and the flippers won't stop the wheel and progress the game to give the award?
I just started having this issue and the machine starts going into a ball search, the music doesn't change, and it forces a reset.
I didn't see anything missing or loose under the playfield.

If that happened to me,I would be compelled to reseat some of the ribbon cables and I'm far from being any good at trouble shooting.

#946 6 years ago

This game is on my wishlist. Would love to find one near me.

#947 6 years ago

I have one on the pinside market. I checked your over 400 miles away. Not so close

#948 6 years ago
Quoted from guss:

I have one on the pinside market. I checked your over 400 miles away. Not so close

Thats a midnight run. I'd drive that far for a game. But then I drove Florida to Chicago and back to get a car.

#949 6 years ago

I didn't get a response for this, so I will try again

Sometimes the ball ever so slightly nicks the slam ramp after the ramp goes back up. Only happens once in a while. Are there any suggestions? I'm thinking...

-replace slam ramp spring
-rebuild mech
-??

I bought new slam ramp protectors and they are quite thick so it might get worse after those are installed

#950 6 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

-replace slam ramp spring

My ramp orriginally had the same problem, I replaced the spring and put a little bit of Super Lube on the post, now it always goes all the way up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (OBO)
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

There are 2,133 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attaaaack-no-good-gofers-club-all-welcome/page/19?hl=robl45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.