(Topic ID: 101269)

"ATTAAAACK!!!" No Good Gofers Club. All welcome.

By Marten

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,133 posts
  • 291 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by GoldenBear
  • Topic is favorited by 111 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7E8F554B-7665-4393-B5A7-C7C1539FBD6B (resized).jpeg
DAC7E899-1D88-447B-B994-BBE86E8A2E9D (resized).png
36-50061-PL (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0053 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0055 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7882 (resized).jpg
IMG_8510 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8511 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5437 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2773 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2709 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,133 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 43.
#751 7 years ago
Quoted from DMcNamara:

Love the look of the side blades and backboard decal - I have side blades en route to me now. Where did you get the backboard decal - Pinball Decals or somewhere else?

Little shop of games has them... hmm mirror blades or this

#752 7 years ago

Hello everybody, Fellow NGG Fans!

Just wanted to let you know, that NO GOOD GOFERS pcb aux 8 drive (A-21773 and #5768-15419-01) is still available at Pinball Spare Parts Australia (PSPA) for very reasonable AUD 70 (About 50 USD/EUR). http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/5768-15419-01.html

1997 NOS Board!! According to webshop only six pieces left. I just ordered one more for spare. Maybe it's available from somewhere else (PBResource?...) but I couldn't wait anymore. Get Your's while you can

Registered shipping to Finland was AUD 26.

-peter

#753 7 years ago
Quoted from DMcNamara:

Love the look of the side blades and backboard decal - I have side blades en route to me now. Where did you get the backboard decal - Pinball Decals or somewhere else?

I got the backboard decal from Little Shop of Games. Great quality and fairly easy to install.

#754 7 years ago

Picked myself up a fabulous example and we all love it. Would really like the grass ramp decals - anyone know of availability?

IMG_6673 (resized).JPGIMG_6673 (resized).JPG

#755 7 years ago

Flashinstinct is the guy who sells the ramp decals. Send him a pm asking if he has any in stock.

#756 7 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Picked myself up a fabulous example and we all love it

Very clean looking machine,congrats - Look after those spinners,they get hammered.

#757 7 years ago

I've never made it to a 4th multiball. Is there a good gopher callout when you start #4,#5...etc?

#758 7 years ago

Has anyone used a SmartDMD or DMD Extender on Gofers? I've searched but came up with only Color DMD. I would like to make a larger display is possible, which is why I'm asking about the DMD Extender options.

#759 7 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I've never made it to a 4th multiball. Is there a good gopher callout when you start #4,#5...etc?

Not that I have heard. I've gotten a 4th ball on Ripoff Multiball but no special callouts (other than "Ripoff"). I've never gotten the 5th ball.

#760 7 years ago

The other roll pin came loose on Bud today, so I pulled him apart and this spring in my gofer plunger popped out. I'm having a heck of a time getting it to stay placed inside the shaft when I re-install bud onto the plunger.

Is replacement the only option?

Any advice?

IMG_4921 (resized).JPGIMG_4921 (resized).JPG

#761 7 years ago

Figured it out, spring was on the back side and it needed to be wound around into the front. Its what pushes the gofer out onto the ledge that keeps the gofer up when the up solenoid fires.

FullSizeRender (resized).jpgFullSizeRender (resized).jpg

#762 7 years ago

Dang it...got Bud working okay again, but now Buzz isn't working properly. I've had these gofers apart and back together again more times tonight than I wanted to.

He manually actuates up/down okay, but he doesn't always test correctly during the gofer test:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10062582/NGG%20gofer%20test.mov

Any ideas?

#763 7 years ago

Starting to get an order together for a shop job and realized that I need to remount the left and right flash lamp assemblies - they just aren't mounted right... Does anyone know what size spacer posts go where? Can't find it in the manual.
20170306_205242 (resized).jpg20170306_205242 (resized).jpg

Also, I found these wire taps on the line to the middle spotlight on the right ramp. I can't imagine this is normal, but figured I'd ask before tracing through the harness.
20170306_203822 (resized).jpg20170306_203822 (resized).jpg

#764 7 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

THE SAGA CONCLUDES.
I replaced every part I could source on the gofer. And it worked! But now I'm left without a good answer as to why it was malfunctioning (and still working in test). Some theories just to wrap this up:
1) The coil was bad/weak. I replaced the coil itself for the first time, so maybe?
2) The sleeve was already worn out/grimy (it had been in use for 6 months).
3) The latch and guide latch were worn. I can visibly see the wear, so maybe that was it.
4) The spring was TOO STRONG. I had added tension to the spring at one point. Replaced that.
Here are some of the parts I replaced:

Anyway, glad the reed switches are all good, but man oh man, the things I do for gofers.
Thanks, all! Until next time.

I just want to say 'thank you' for all the great stuff in this thread. This particular conversation was very helpful as I was having the same issue with my Buzz gofer acting as though it was hit, falling after getting raised. I did order Cliffy latches and the Bay Area Amusement residual plates as backups. My latches are still functioning fine and my machine actually did have the residual plates installed. I pulled the gofers apart so many times, I can now get them out and back installed in just about 15 minutes. I thought maybe the coils were bad, but everything I've read about coils is that they are usually the last thing in the machine to fail over everything else. I alcohol wiped the optical switches and the optics on the gofer.

The only really noticeable defect was the coil sleeves. The coil sleeves inside both the coils that raise the gofer and the one that fires to lower the gofer were grimed up with carbon residue. The coil sleeve inside the coil that lowers the gofer seemed to have a little resistance compared to the coil the lowers Bud. I tried wiping down the coil sleeves and that seemed to help, so I straight up replaced them.

So far in the gofer tests and a few games, Buzz is staying up and behaving more normally when he 'talks'.

I really appreciate this thread and all the great advice from the community. Thanks!

#765 7 years ago

New part available for your NGG! Much better components than the old one: the opto board for the spinning disc:
http://www.pindorabox.com/no-good-gofers-disc-opto-board-a-22026.html

#766 7 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

Starting to get an order together for a shop job and realized that I need to remount the left and right flash lamp assemblies - they just aren't mounted right... Does anyone know what size spacer posts go where? Can't find it in the manual.

Did you find the part # for the posts?
I just entered the NGG club (*WAVES*) and my game is missing one of the posts that secures that upper left flasher bank.
Only a few things I will need to address:
The right slam-ramp post keeps coming loose (what do people use to secure it?)
2 inlane switches don't seem to be working
A few flashers need to be changed to LED

everything else is lovely!

Anyone here installed a Playfield Protector? My game is in nice shape, so considering a PP to preserve it...
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/bVAgNrqwIUCO39LLauMFvA?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=No%20Good%20Gofers%20%7C%201997

#767 7 years ago

I'm installing a playfield protector right now, its a pain in the rear since you have to pull both ramps which is not as easy as it sounds. I've got some inserts that are raising and i'm trying to keep them from getting (any more) chewed up. I'll report back once its done.

#768 7 years ago

My understanding is in home use the Playfield shouldn't get damaged. Raised inserts I read you heat up and hit with a hammer. I'm a bit scared to try it

#769 7 years ago
Quoted from ParaBax:

I've got some inserts that are raising and i'm trying to keep them from getting (any more) chewed up.

According to vid1900 guide to playfield restoration you should heat them, clamp them, and glue them back down.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration#post-549797
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration#post-551406
"Don't forget the wax paper, you won't be happy if you glue a piece of wood to the playfield..."

#770 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

My understanding is in home use the Playfield shouldn't get damaged. Raised inserts I read you heat up and hit with a hammer. I'm a bit scared to try it

Raised inserts generally also means that the clear coat has cracked around the insert, so leveling them only fixes one problem and requires the playfield to be re-cleared. Lower it all you want, that crack is there and can chip away. As far as playfields not getting damaged in home use, well that's just not true

#771 7 years ago
Quoted from ParaBax:

I'm installing a playfield protector right now, its a pain in the rear since you have to pull both ramps which is not as easy as it sounds. I've got some inserts that are raising and i'm trying to keep them from getting (any more) chewed up. I'll report back once its done.

Much appreciated, would love to hear about your experience installing it, and playing after

#772 7 years ago

How do people like to set their rules up so that the game provides an extra challenge? I am thinking of opening up the outlanes a bit more as well.

#773 7 years ago

I have a quick question...with batteries installed, why are only the high scores (+ settings) saved and not the time/date when the game is powered off?

#774 7 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

I just want to say 'thank you' for all the great stuff in this thread. This particular conversation was very helpful as I was having the same issue with my Buzz gofer acting as though it was hit, falling after getting raised. I did order Cliffy latches and the Bay Area Amusement residual plates as backups. My latches are still functioning fine and my machine actually did have the residual plates installed. I pulled the gofers apart so many times, I can now get them out and back installed in just about 15 minutes. I thought maybe the coils were bad, but everything I've read about coils is that they are usually the last thing in the machine to fail over everything else. I alcohol wiped the optical switches and the optics on the gofer.
The only really noticeable defect was the coil sleeves. The coil sleeves inside both the coils that raise the gofer and the one that fires to lower the gofer were grimed up with carbon residue. The coil sleeve inside the coil that lowers the gofer seemed to have a little resistance compared to the coil the lowers Bud. I tried wiping down the coil sleeves and that seemed to help, so I straight up replaced them.
So far in the gofer tests and a few games, Buzz is staying up and behaving more normally when he 'talks'.
I really appreciate this thread and all the great advice from the community. Thanks!

Well, I made a discovery that might help people with gofers that don't behave correctly. I replaced most of my parts on Buzz like DangerTerror did. I installed new springs, up/down coil, checked the roll pins, coil sleeves, checked shafts, ramp, lift coil bracket assembly, installed Cliffy catch plates, installed Bay Area Amusement residual plates, etc...

I still was having an issue with Buzz dropping as soon as I raised him. It would fail in test and gameplay. During gameplay, the gofer wasn't jiggling normally while 'talking' and instead exhibited big movements.

This problem all started when at one point a month ago the gofer popped up and got stuck halfway up/down in the playfield during gameplay during one of its animations.

When I investigated inside, I found the nut (#25) that fastens onto the machine screw (#24) had fallen off into the bottom of the cabinet. I re-secured the nut, but I may have over-tightened it. My thinking was to tighten it so it wouldn't fall off again. Surprisingly, it seems however much I tighten this nut, its really just a matter of fifty plays and the nut has worked itself off the machine screw again.

At any rate, I re-secured the nut but left it a little looser than before...and ta dah...it works. Just crazy that these gofers seem to rely on such precise installation of seemingly insignificant parts to work properly.

ngg1 (resized).pngngg1 (resized).png

#775 7 years ago

Hey all,

Just joined the club! Fun game. I have to take my gofers out because the screw (#24 on the above diagram) keeps wiggling out and get caught on the playfield. I'm guessing that the nut (#25) is missing. The screw is very loose in there. I can get through a few games by pushing it back in. But I want to fix it right. Any tips for taking out the gofers?

I'm also thinking of putting a small amount of oil or grease on the slam ramp post, it squeaks.

Otherwise, it's in good shape.

#776 7 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

Hey all,
Just joined the club! Fun game. I have to take my gofers out because the screw (#24 on the above diagram) keeps wiggling out and get caught on the playfield. I'm guessing that the nut (#25) is missing. The screw is very loose in there. I can get through a few games by pushing it back in. But I want to fix it right. Any tips for taking out the gofers?
I'm also thinking of putting a small amount of oil or grease on the slam ramp post, it squeaks.
Otherwise, it's in good shape.

Taking the gofers apart is not that bad. Just take a few pictures. Honestly, the best tips I can give you is give yourself plenty of light, a magnetic tray to place your screws/nuts as you remove them, and use a magnetic tipped nut driver. Make sure your machine power is OFF. Another tip is to take breaks...I have found myself getting frustrated, losing my grip on an insignificant nut...and then I start shaking the machine (no balls installed) to get the nut to fall out into the bottom of the cabinet. Bad move...with the loose gofer, it came out and ripped all four connections to the two optos and I had to pull the solder iron out to fix that.

Really, when you're just starting out, take pictures and disassemble slowly. After 1-2 times, its easy to pull them out and reinstall. I can do it now in under 2 minutes and completely disassembled in 7 minutes.

NGG is my first pinball machine. I spend more time under the hood than I do playing it. It can be just as interesting figuring out how the whole thing works as it is playing it.

#777 7 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Taking the gofers apart is not that bad. Just take a few pictures. Honestly, the best tips I can give you is give yourself plenty of light, a magnetic tray to place your screws/nuts as you remove them, and use a magnetic tipped nut driver. Make sure your machine power is OFF. Another tip is to take breaks...I have found myself getting frustrated, losing my grip on an insignificant nut...and then I start shaking the machine (no balls installed) to get the nut to fall out into the bottom of the cabinet. Bad move...with the loose gofer, it came out and ripped all four connections to the two optos and I had to pull the solder iron out to fix that.
Really, when you're just starting out, take pictures and disassemble slowly. After 1-2 times, its easy to pull them out and reinstall. I can do it now in under 2 minutes and completely disassembled in 7 minutes.
NGG is my first pinball machine. I spend more time under the hood than I do playing it. It can be just as interesting figuring out how the whole thing works as it is playing it.

The #25 nut is a nyloc nut, and should only be used 1 or 2 times before it is replaced. They can also get old and brittle... It relies on the screw threads gripping into the plastic insert to keep it from falling off, not toque like a traditional nut in a metal joint. You can find them at most hardware stores and are worth the 30cents to just replace them next time your working on the machine.

#779 7 years ago

cait001: I wrote up detailed impressions earlier in this thread. TLDR: It's been a year and no significant issues. Would recommend.

evh347: Fascinating about overtightening #25 through the gofer noggin. Never considered that. Thanks.

#781 7 years ago

New NGG owner here...excited to have one and wondering if any other owners have put colored legs on your NGG. Something like these: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2647

Would love to see some pics and/or any other suggestions for legs. I also saw someone ask if there are any alternatives to the giant black speaker panel, but didn't see any answers.

#782 7 years ago

Gofer question: I notice sometimes when I raise a gofer, they then go down and lock is lit immediately. This mostly happens with Bud, but have seen it with Buzz before.
This doesn't cripple the game, but does make it extra easy...

Anyone ever experienced this before?
In other modes the gofers seem to rise and fall no problem, and don't seem to be registering phantom hits. Gofers work fine in test.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it might somehow relate to an electrical issue causing a false positive on the switch, where the slam ramp firing down erroneously triggers a hit...
I will do some investigation tonight and see if I can trigger it with the glass off.

Also, I noticed the upper left flash lamp plastic is missing a screw to attach it to the ramp beneath it. *sigh* only options are take apart that back area for access underneath the ramp, or pull the playfield out of the cabinet. The side rails and playfield pivoting make it impossible to get in from the side. I think if I get help lifting the playfield out might be easier...

ngg2 (resized).jpgngg2 (resized).jpg

ngg1 (resized).jpgngg1 (resized).jpg

#783 7 years ago

Unfortunately you've got you work cut out for you. To replace that screw you're going to have to pull the left ramp, and you can only get left (platic) ramp off if you take the left (metal) ramp mechanism off.

#784 7 years ago
Quoted from ParaBax:

Unfortunately you've got you work cut out for you. To replace that screw you're going to have to pull the left ramp, and you can only get left (platic) ramp off if you take the left (metal) ramp mechanism off.

yeah that's why I am thinking I might just remove the playfield from the pivot mechanism and slide it forward, with friends assisting. BUT I am also probably ordering a Playfield Protector, so perhaps I'll just wait until the teardown to install that.

#785 7 years ago

Yeah, you could get to it if you pulled the playfield, but if you're installing a protector just wait and do it then.

#786 7 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Gofer question: I notice sometimes when I raise a gofer, they then go down and lock is lit immediately. This mostly happens with Bud, but have seen it with Buzz before.
In other modes the gofers seem to rise and fall no problem, and don't seem to be registering phantom hits. Gofers work fine in test.
I have a sneaking suspicion that it might somehow relate to an electrical issue causing a false positive on the switch, where the slam ramp firing down erroneously triggers a hit...
I will do some investigation tonight and see if I can trigger it with the glass off.
Also, I noticed the upper left flash lamp plastic is missing a screw to attach it to the ramp beneath it. *sigh* only options are take apart that back area for access underneath the ramp, or pull the playfield out of the cabinet. The side rails and playfield pivoting make it impossible to get in from the side. I think if I get help lifting the playfield out might be easier...

My last few posts in this thread have all been about my quest to resolve exactly that problem. I nearly completely rebuilt Buzz in an effort to solve that problem. Raise gofer, gofer pops up, and then falls immediately. Happens during test and regular play.

Before you spend a lot of money and go on a wild goose chase...I suggest you try loosening the screw that secures the bolt that goes through the gofer's head. I discovered after much trial and error that when that screw was too tight, the gofer would fall immediately after getting raised. I loosened it (it was still on) and the gofer immediately started behaving normally.

A few posts earlier in this thread, I outline exactly which parts I'm talking about. That 8-32 nut works tight and sometimes (more routinely) works so loose it completely falls off. You'll find it laying in the bottom of the cabinet. The gofer behavior that usually tells you that the nut has fallen off completely is when the gofer pops up and gets stuck halfway up/down in one of its animations.

I've disassemble and reassembled my gofers so much, it's practically subconscious now when I have to do it. In essence, with Gofers pinball its usually the mechanical and simple less than .20 cents parts that causes the issues...not the big time electrical, rare optical micro switches, etc...

Have fun.

2 weeks later
#787 6 years ago

The reward I get from finishing a hole doesn't always match what the wheel indicates I should get. I'd say it accurate about 80% of the time. When it's off, it's usually not even close. Meaning it's not one of the adjacent wheel awards. Anyone else have this issue? Is it normal?

#788 6 years ago
Quoted from Flippersaurus:

The reward I get from finishing a hole doesn't always match what the wheel indicates I should get. I'd say it accurate about 80% of the time. When it's off, it's usually not even close. Meaning it's not one of the adjacent wheel awards. Anyone else have this issue? Is it normal?

That happens to me as well so it's probably "normal" (unless someone else has a fix for it). I find it tends to happen the most when I first turn on the game and the first wheel award awarded is way off (sometimes on the opposite side of the wheel). Usually after that though it seems fine.

#789 6 years ago

Have a NGG I had planned to shop out, but to many projects and limited time.
So NGG is for trade / for sale and can be delivered to Allentown show.
Would consider trade towards AC/DC Prem or Kiss Prem or LE
Game needs to be shopped, flippers need to be rebuilt.
It has three errors switches 27, 62, and 64; right drain, right spinner and opto on spinning disc.

Cabinet is really great a very clean no fade, PF will clean up really nice.

Just needs a good shopping.
Also included is a full decal set & full set Titan orange rubber.
Has manual.

Listed in market place.

#790 6 years ago

I've been dialed in on the hole in one shot last couple of days.

#791 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I've been dialed in on the hole in one shot last couple of days.

All three of my Pat Lawlor games are dialed in.

#792 6 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

That happens to me as well so it's probably "normal" (unless someone else has a fix for it). I find it tends to happen the most when I first turn on the game and the first wheel award awarded is way off (sometimes on the opposite side of the wheel). Usually after that though it seems fine.

I have the same behavior with mine, though I would add that it happens at the beginning of a game (usually when I collect the putting green in the first couple of shots). I think this is part of the code of NGG that people feel is buggy and unfinished -- the game has pro

#793 6 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

All three of my Pat Lawlor games are dialed in.

Why would you have 3 of the same game?

#794 6 years ago

Guys, just had a game with 2 quick jackpots. Each time it counted 1 Mio. less than it said on the display. Fist Q jackpot was 1 Mio. and it didn't add any score when I hit it. The second was 6 Mio. but only 5 were added.

Running the latest ROM set from ipdb.

Is this a known bug? Or just a weir coincidence?

Thanks!

#795 6 years ago

So my back-box connector is hacked, could someone tell me if the backbox ever changes during gameplay? Mine is just always on with the 5 random flashers working. In test mode GI strings 4 & 5 don't seem to turn anything on/off, just wondering if the backbox is wired wrong and I should look into it.

#796 6 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Update: we took out Buzz and cleaned it and found there was some rubbing in the internal plastic frame. Now that it has been cleaned and put back together, the problem seems fixed. The right ramp now rises and latches up without fail.
And Bud seems fixed, which is odd. Before when Bud would rise up he would immediately go down and then lock would be lit. But this false-hit was only during multiball. So perhaps Buzz not firing properly was triggering something, either physical or on the opto somehow, and Buzz now working means Bud works OK?

Whatever it is, working on Buzz did the trick. My friend picked up a Playfield Protector for me in Allentown, now soon will be time to tear the playfield apart!
Anyone have tips on order-of-operations? I have found that for dense ramp games, like in prior shop-jobs of games like Baywatch or Corvette, there tended to be a specific order that made it a touch more doable.

#797 6 years ago

Does NGG have a buy in like most titles from that timeframe?

#798 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Does NGG have a buy in like most titles from that timeframe?

no

#799 6 years ago

Just joined the club for the 1st time. Played about 10 games and I am having a blast, very cool game!

#800 6 years ago

Played a game before work today and got triple super skill shot. First time I have ever seen that. Nailed it too!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
4,800 (OBO)
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 2,133 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 43.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attaaaack-no-good-gofers-club-all-welcome/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.