Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by patrickvc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I am thinking maybe someday I'd like to pay to get either of these two games and I plan to try both of them at the PHOF next time I'm in Las Vegas.

Both titles are very desirable in their own way and it may come down to which theme I like better. Being in the west, I like the western theme of El Dorado but Atlantis has a very cool theme and I'm hearing that the gameplay is better.

Which one would you get?

Bruce

#2 4 years ago

El Dorado, but as a Gold Strike

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

El Dorado, but as a Gold Strike

The Gold Strike playfield and plastics seem almost exactly the same except for the "WOW" in the middle and for that reason I like El Dorado's wagon wheel with cactus in the middle.

It may be just me but I also like the artwork in El Dorado's backglass better. The 1-10 numbers in circles across bottom of Gold Strike's backglass seem to cover up the beautiful western artwork. They could have designed that part better.

Is it more fun to play a Gold Strike than El Dorado? (I do have a particular liking for AABs)

Bruce

#5 4 years ago

Atlantis is way better

#6 4 years ago

For me the appeal of Atlantis is that it is the more challenging game. With ED and GS it is easier to win a replay/WOW.

When you compare the more achievable goals of ED/GS to the insidious rules of Atlantis where you have four different ways to advance the numbers to light the special yet it is one of the most difficult to achieve goals in all of 70's EM pinball is where Atlantis is my desert island game. You really feel a sense of accomplishment when you earn a half dozen replays on it.

ED and GS are extremely worthy games in their own right with similar appearance but sufficiently different game play and ithatbdifference is part of the reason I also have both.

Ultimately you can't go wrong with any of the three but Atlantis is the desert island game for me.

#7 4 years ago

There's been a lot of love for Atlantis lately. I see that it has the same playfield layout as Lawman.

PHOF doesn't seem to have either game in their list. http://www.pinballmuseum.org/games.php

Bruce

#8 4 years ago

El Dorado over Atlantis all day long...

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

El Dorado over Atlantis all day long...

I am the polar opposite.

Atlantis over El Dorado.

It's not even close in my world.

Marcus

#10 4 years ago

1- Atlantis
2- Abra Ca Dabra
3- Strange World
4- Melody
5- El Dorado

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

There's been a lot of love for Atlantis lately. I see that it has the same playfield layout as Lawman.
PHOF doesn't seem to have either game in their list. http://www.pinballmuseum.org/games.php
Bruce

PHOF definitely has Atlantis, I've played it there. Maybe they're rotated it out or something, but they have it.

When I played it it's condition was not great and it colored my view of the game. I didn't understand the hype for it. They I played a well done restoration of one (thanks, boilerman!) and I did a 180 on it. It became a must have for me and I finally got one. It's such a "one more time" game, chasing those numbers. I don't know if it's my favorite of my games, but it's right there. Top two for sure, and I haven't had it but two weeks.

#14 4 years ago

These Atlantis threads need to stop. Gottlieb needs to reopen their doors and build a bunch of retrophile EMs starting with Atlantis, Abra Ca Dabra and Dodge City!

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

These Atlantis threads need to stop. Gottlieb needs to reopen their doors and build a bunch of retrophile EMs starting with Atlantis, Abra Ca Dabra and Dodge City!

They just wouldn't be the same

#16 4 years ago

They might not be, Gottlieb built solid machines back in the day, but NIB 70s and 80s machines from GTB, Stern, and Bally (maybe even Williams ) would be fantastic.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

They might not be, Gottlieb built solid machines back in the day, but NIB 70s and 80s machines from GTB, Stern, and Bally (maybe even Williams ) would be fantastic.

Yes they would

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Herb Silvers tried this with King of Diamonds, which was a really good EM.

It was a great idea, but as Cactus Jack can attest, it wasn't really an EM at all. It had the cab and the internals of an SS game, despite the score reels used. The playfield looked like KoD, but the game simply didn't play like an EM. It didn't have the feel, the sound, you name it, of a true EM.

I was very excited by it when it came out. Then I played it. To say it was a let down is putting it mildly. I've never liked the look of that cabinet in the first place. I understand why it's used, but it's not an EM cab. They did it to be able to make the game a multiplayer but still, it just didn't look right. The reels didn't work like EM reels, you name it, it just wasn't right.

It was a wonderful idea and they did the best they could with it, but it was just not right. I haven't played Whoa Nellie, but I would assume it's pretty much in the same boat.

Nobody is going to make a true EM with the switches and relays and everything. So it's up to us to preserve all of them that we can, regardless of game play/manufacturer, because what is left is all there's ever going to be.

#20 4 years ago

I need an El Dorado to know! Atlantis is an awesome pin, never played an ED. Some pins play so good, but so different, it would be impossible for me to decide which I like more. Atlantis vs Jacks Open for instance. Couldn't do it.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

I need an El Dorado to know! Atlantis is an awesome pin, never played an ED. Some pins play so good, but so different, it would be impossible for me to decide which I like more. Atlantis vs Jacks Open for instance. Couldn't do it.

Now you've just taken this discussion to another level. Atlantis, El Dorado, and Centigrade 37 (per the other ongoing thread) are all great games, but I would pick Jacks Open (actually Lucky Hand) over all of them if I could only have one. Fortunately, I don't have to.

#22 4 years ago

Eldorado is a beautiful game. That said, the PF layout and game play never grew on me. It's OK, but I had a cherry one that just didn't do it for me. I sold it.

Atlantis...right next to my C37, will never leave.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact/
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Gottlieb needs to reopen their doors and build a bunch of retrophile EMs starting with Atlantis, Abra Ca Dabra and Dodge City!

Dodge City??

#24 4 years ago

Yeah, I know it's a weird one, but I really liked playing it at Pinburgh last year. The retheme by the guy that did Silver Bullet was also really beautifully done.

#25 4 years ago

I'd recommend Atlantis, harder to play. Although El Dorado is the Mac Daddy of re-themed pins.

#26 4 years ago

I own Atlantis and love it. El Dorado is tops on my list for machine wanted. I like the artwork.

Does anyone have the chronological order for the release dates of Gottlieb Wedgeheads? Can't seem to find it.

#27 4 years ago

Gold Strike was that turning point when I quit following other people's recommendations. I have to imagine El Dorado is much better and Atlantis even better still.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Does anyone have the chronological order for the release dates of Gottlieb Wedgeheads?

search: Gottlieb Pinball History - Evolution 1947 to 1979. Also on www.pinrepair.com/gtl.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Does anyone have the chronological order for the release dates of Gottlieb Wedgeheads? Can't seem to find it.

http://www.pinrepair.com/gtb/

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I own Atlantis and love it. El Dorado is tops on my list for machine wanted. I like the artwork.

You can search IPDB, and then sort by DATE:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&mfgid=410&yr=1961-79&pl=1&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

#31 4 years ago

List for Wedgeheads, Wedgeheads only. Can't find it.

#32 4 years ago

You could adjust your search to only include single players on the IPDB. The exception will be Spin-A-Card and Hearts and Spades but they are sort of honorary wedge heads.

Edit: Like Dirt has, only maybe a few more non wedge cabs in there with the exports included.

#33 4 years ago

Thank you Alex, ill try that.

#34 4 years ago

Prefer Atlantis and kind of annoyed at not picking one up a few years ago as now it is flavor of the month so wrong time to to chase this title.

It's addictive trying to get 1 thru 9.

#35 4 years ago

Atlantis for Replay = Fun!

Gold Strike for AAB = Fun!

El Dorado for Replay or Extra Ball = Crap!

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Galaxy_Being:

El Dorado does not award extra balls. Target Alpha/Solar City/Canada Dry are the multi-players that share the same playfield layout, but not the same rule set as El Dorado.

Can't really judge El Dorado by playing the others.

#37 4 years ago

The best thing to do is get these five GTB 70's games and then you don't have to worry about which is better

Atlantis
Abra Ca Dabra
Jacks Open
El Dorado
Centigrade 37

Then, get 5 of the best 2" flipper games from the late 60's, early 70's
Then, get 5 of the best mid-60's games
Then, get 5 woodrails

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Galaxy_Being:

I've owned both Gold Strike and El Dorado and they're both good games but easier to beat than Atlantis. You could win so many free balls on Gold Strike that the games would drag on and on for me which I don't care for. But, if you're trying for high score I can understand why it's so popular. I like add-a-balls that have better rule sets where they're tougher to beat and game times are shorter.

#39 4 years ago

I have and Eldorado and just picked up Atlantis yesterday. It'll be interesting which one I prefer more after reading some opinions on both and getting to rate them myself side by side. If anyone has a good used coin door for that vintage I could sure use one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 7.00
$ 38.35
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball-Mods.com
Lighting - Interactive
TheDudeMods
$ 289.00
$ 24.50
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 59.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
Boards
PCB Emporium
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 0.10
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Stuff
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside