95C1A7A4-2ED3-402D-9A29-114451BA818D (resized).jpeg
2001-1_upp_pf__021_(resized).JPG
2001-1_lwr_pf_019_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160108_194231_(resized).jpg
Centigrade_37_BG_2_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 8 years ago

I was in the same predicament last year and bought both. No regrets.

#22 8 years ago

Volley kicks ass. Something about it drags me back for more games. A bang for the buck king.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

I have an Atlantis question (I have one, but not near me). I believe that if you knock down ANY two drops you get the 5000 pts. Is that correct? I know they are 'paired', but if you get a lucky skip shot and hit any two down 'almost' simultaneously... I believe the double drop bonus collects. Either way, cool feature that I don't believe has been used elsewhere.

Lawman is the same layout as Atlantis and also has the 5000 bonus for double drops.

#50 8 years ago

Dang. All this Atlantis talk is inspiring me to finish the stencil job and put mine back together this weekend! I also just got a playfield protector for it from BAA. Can't wait to play it with that in place to level the inserts!

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I think you are mistaken. Lawman will give you 5000 for getting all of the drops down, similar to Atlantis, but only gives 500 for getting any single or double drop target down.

Hmm, I think you are right. Thanks for correcting my memory!

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

I'd love to hear how it plays with the protector in place. I was thinking of getting one myself as some of my numbered inserts in the bagatelle area are cupped and it can screw up game play. Just din't know if the protector would really solve that.

I was very skeptical of the protectors before I put one on my Abra Ca Dabra. It makes the game really play great because it levels out all the irregularities on the inserts. I'm sure some purists might take offense, but I am also sure that Ed Krynski and Jeff Brenner did not incorporate cupped inserts into these games on purpose. The cupped inserts in the bagatelle area in Atlantis are particularly frustrating because they remove a lot of the ability to nudge and simply funnel the ball where the inserts want them to go! Flattening the playfield makes it play the way the designers intended.

After putting the protector on Abra Ca Dabra, I brought the machine to Free Play Florida where it was used in the PAPA Circuit Tournament. Lots of the best players in the world played it. I got more compliments than can be imagined. Basically the consensus was that it played perfectly/best EM ever. Most people just thought it was a really nice original or a new playfield until I pointed out the protector. The ball simply rolls true and straight. It is also not too fast or too slow. They make these protectors for a lot of games mostly newer stuff. To me these are best for older games with cupped inserts to flatten the surface and prevent further wear. It also can be removed in ten minutes like it was never even there. Can't say that about a clear coat. The other thing is it leaves any patina in place, so it is definitely more palatable to purists.

Quoted from MrWizzo:

I get down to Cocoa once a year or so. Maybe we can get together next time I am there.

Definitely! Shoot me a PM when before you come down and we will make plans.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Are you somehow filling the sunken insert? or does the protector just span across? Please explain....

The protector is a thin piece of poly-carbonate that covers the playfield. No filling the inserts it just covers/spans them. The are cut in such a way that they simply lay on the playfield and don't go underneath the posts. This helps it lay flat rather than popping up in one place as you tighten a post down in another.

ebay.com link: Playfield Protectors for Pinball Machines A E

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from mcjeremy42:

Now i WANT these protectors for my earlier machines!!! And of course, they aren't made for any of the 5 I want them for. Sigh. Thanks for the heads-up on these, John!

You are welcome to stop by sometime and try mine. Also, a lot of the games at the Pinball Lounge in Oviedo have them installed.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

But if not, what happens with adjustable posts like outlane slots? There is a oval for the while post and not just the bolt?

Yep, a hole in the protector big enough to move the post.

Quoted from Taxman:

How about around pops?

The hole is just barely bigger than the pop switch platter. Works fine and no need for the mylar platter any more. You do have to remove the pops to install the protector. Most everything else can stay on the playfield for the install.

Here is a picture of the Atlantis protector (with the white protective sticker still installed). I am a little skeptical on the star rollovers, but it looks like they have a decent design.

20160108_194231_(resized).jpg20160108_194231_(resized).jpg

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Where are these found for the EM titles? I glanced at Bay Area, but was only find SS/DMD titles.

They are only available for a handful of EMs. BAA sells them or you can follow the link I put above on ebay. I bought the Abra ca Dabra and Atlantis from BAA.

#103 8 years ago

Was there a rumor about Wade doing 2001 a while back?

#119 8 years ago

Personally I like the gameplay on both about equal. Atlantis has more intricate rules, but I also like the unique rules in C37 in 5-ball mode. They might both have the same bagatelle setup, but the way they use them is different. The games are different enough to me to have both. Guests and non-pinheads definitely like C37 better. If I had to get rid of one of them, it would be Atlantis. Fortunately I don't have to get rid of either at this point!

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Question on that protector.
Do you have to remove the bagatelle wireforms? Sure looks like it. There are also pins above two of the wireforms in the bagatelle, and pins in the return lane on the right flipper, and of course in the corners of the outlanes?
I don't really want to be removing those wireforms if I don't have to do it. Not necessarily a hard job but things can go wrong.
Interesting idea though.

The pins stayed when I did Abra Ca Dabra, but the wire guides have to be removed for the install. They are pretty easy to remove with a pry bar and some thick cardboard to protect the playfield. I can't see the danger unless the playfield is clear coated - in which case the protector is not needed.

We are finally getting some cool, dry weather here so I should be able to stencil the Atlantis cabinet this week and put the protector in during the reassembly.

Quoted from shimoda:

If the times comes for you to get rid of Atlantis, please PM me!!!

Don't hold your breath. After all the work to stencil it, I won't be selling any time soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atlantis-vs-centigrade-37?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.