Topic Stats

• 148 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MrWizzo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2001-1_upp_pf__021_(resized).JPG
2001-1_lwr_pf_019_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160108_194231_(resized).jpg
Centigrade_37_BG_2_(resized).jpg

There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

I have the opportunity to get one or both.

Any strong opinions as to which is the better choice? Leaning toward the Atlantis, but may get both.

Dan

#2 3 years ago

If you can only have one, go Atlantis.

If you swing both, definitely get both.

Marcus

#3 3 years ago

Get both! Depends on condition and price though.

#4 3 years ago

Agreed if price is good I'd go both. They seem like desirable wedgeheads

#5 3 years ago

C37 gets old. Atlantis keeps you coming back, just to get that 5K drop target bonus. C37 usually has a nice resale...

#6 3 years ago

Price may be a bit high, each at $1600, but both are desirable games.

Dan

#7 3 years ago

I've owned and sold both. Of the two, C37 is on my wishlist to own again. I like its artwork better as well as enjoy playing it more.

#8 3 years ago

For pure gameplay Atlantis has more. But C37 is fun and a better looker.

If you can swing both do it, because either one is going to be easy to move again, they're desirable games.

#9 3 years ago

Surf Champ

#10 3 years ago

I was in the same predicament last year and bought both. No regrets.

#11 3 years ago

Okay, why?

Hadn't consider it. Looking to sell several games and replace with EMs.

#12 3 years ago

Game is a blast to play. Super fast(seems much faster than most other 70's EM's), has it all--drop targets, spinner, kickout, the star rollovers--complete to light the green "double bonus" lights...getting that rainbow shot that lights them all, Artwork is great...and you can find a nice one for well under a $1000. Surf Champ and Volley are on my never sell list.

If you are determined to try an Atlantis or C37, I wouldn't get both...that's too much bagatelle-type side lane action.

#13 3 years ago

I have played both I can tell you Atlantis is harder of the two, but both a great machines you can't go wrong with either just personal preference really.

#14 3 years ago

Agreed with Wickerman on not wanting both bagatelle-style games. I had both at one time. Sold C37. I prefer the challenge and look of Atlantis.

#15 3 years ago

A fairly easy choice between the two...

Atlantis

#16 3 years ago

Atlantis too!

#17 3 years ago

Shay would be happy either way.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Surf Champ and Volley are on my never sell list.

I agree volley is the best bang for you buck game you can get. you can get a good one for almost nothing compared to a lot of other wedgeheads.
and the game play is far better then most. the art is a bit of a minus but is isn't as bad as team one. if volley had different art it would be one of the sought after games. a lot of people never consider this title due to the art, they don't know what they are missing...

but back on topic. atlantis has a better rule set vs C37 I have both and atlantis gets more action but people love the look of the c37

#19 3 years ago

I would lean towards C37.

#20 3 years ago

Hey! I have the same affliction. #1 pin in my book too. Maybe start a club? Haha

*Then on ball 5 you get to go for the 3x bonus and steal the game. Gotta have a big ball 5! Aiming for the kick out after all roll overs are hit is the biggest point getter (5k) other than making a 2x or 3x bonus that's greater in value.

Atlantis is a blast but it makes me so mad. Trying to complete the 1-9 kicks my arse 99/100. When I do beat it there is usually some trash talking and finger pointing involved afterwards.

#21 3 years ago

Agree on Volley, except for the art considerations. 'Campy' art and pinball is a great combination, imho. Plus there is a little bit of history behind that art that I like to tell my daughter about.

#22 3 years ago

Volley kicks ass. Something about it drags me back for more games. A bang for the buck king.

#23 3 years ago

I have C37. I want Atlantis.

#24 3 years ago

the thing about volley I like the most is that it IS NOT A SPECIAL FEST! once you light the special and then collect it, it goes out and you have to start all over to get another. unlike other wedge heads once lit you can just bang away at the specials. that is not a bad thing but it is a nice change to have to work for each special

#25 3 years ago

Atlantis all day. Of course, I want one so that seals it. Could've gotten a decent C37 for 1K, needed work, but saving my pennies for Atlantis. Of course, I'd take both if I had money and room. +1 on Volley as well. Had one and would have it again. Plunge is super important on that game as getting back up to the rollovers is a real trick.

#26 3 years ago

Atlantis. Great layout and rules, the two for 1 drops are a very unique feature.

C37 is a great looking game with a fun backglass gimmick but I always found it way too easy. Atlantis is one of the best players of the era.

#27 3 years ago

C37 is a great looking game.

Atlantis is a great player. It's not even close. Atlantis all the way.

I had an opportunity like this and I got both, but it is Atlantis and Abra Ca Dabra that I got. Another game with really nice artwork and a better player than C37

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

the thing about volley I like the most is that it IS NOT A SPECIAL FEST! once you light the special and then collect it, it goes out and you have to start all over to get another. unlike other wedge heads once lit you can just bang away at the specials. that is not a bad thing but it is a nice change to have to work for each special

Hey boiler, if that's what you want, get a Williams game. I own four of them and that's pretty much the way they play. One of them, Ding Dong, once you get a special lit, even if you don't collected it, when the ball drains, that's it, start over. It makes them really challenging.

River Boat has a special that stays on, but another special that goes out once you collect it, or lose the ball. Cool

#29 3 years ago

Great input from everyone. Thanks.

I was thinking much the same that both having bagatelle features seemed to detract from C37, but the artwork and backglass animation does make it attractive.

Dan

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Shay would be happy either way.

I would get pics and choose the best condition as they are same price.

#31 3 years ago

C37 is a beauty.

... but Atlantis' drop target reset 'ka-CHUNK' rulez! Appreciate the two-target bonus as well. Numeric bagatelle is a fun challenge. Great game.

Sold my first Atlantis and regretted it instantly. 2nd one isn't leaving and hope the Canadian dollar improves so I can afford Wade's playfield repro: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1975-gottlieb-atlantis-new-playfield-production

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Hey boiler, if that's what you want, get a Williams game. I own four of them and that's pretty much the way they play. One of them, Ding Dong, once you get a special lit, even if you don't collected it, when the ball drains, that's it, start over. It makes them really challenging.
River Boat has a special that stays on, but another special that goes out once you collect it, or lose the ball. Cool

I am a gottlieb guy I couldn't have a wiliams game in here! LOL just kidding they did make some great ones in the 60's
I do like having to work for the special in the home environment. but there is nothing like hearing that knocker go off a dozen times in one ball. on my 2001 I can have it sound like a machine gun once I lite the special.
I am doing a heat wave right now and a bally cross country next with a cool carry over feature, something I don't think gottlieb used much at all

#33 3 years ago

I have owned two Atlantis machines and currently have one that I restored. It is probably the most played game in my collection because lately, I just want to play something with very simple rules. I love the game and it has awesome artwork to boot.

I think C37 is a great game as well, probably equal in desirability to Atlantis. I have been on the lookout for a nice C37 for years. For some reason, it just doesn't seem to pop-up as often as Atlantis in my region.

The second most played EM in our house is Williams Strato Flite which is just a great game with basic rules but requires nudging and great bank shots.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I am a gottlieb guy I couldn't have a wiliams game in here! LOL just kidding they did make some great ones in the 60's
I do like having to work for the special in the home environment. but there is nothing like hearing that knocker go off a dozen times in one ball. on my 2001 I can have it sound like a machine gun once I lite the special.
I am doing a heat wave right now and a bally cross country next with a cool carry over feature, something I don't think gottlieb used much at all

Three of mine are mid 60s. Great games, all of them.

Bally was big on the carry over feature. The one Bally I own has one.

That Heat Wave was supposed to be mine some day, but our friend decided it was time to move it on and I just couldn't swing it at the time.

#35 3 years ago

C37 all the way!

Centigrade_37_BG_2_(resized).jpg

#36 3 years ago

Both pins are great...if you like lots of targets then go with Atlantis . If your weak with women then Centigrade will win.

#37 3 years ago

I have an Atlantis question (I have one, but not near me). I believe that if you knock down ANY two drops you get the 5000 pts. Is that correct? I know they are 'paired', but if you get a lucky skip shot and hit any two down 'almost' simultaneously... I believe the double drop bonus collects. Either way, cool feature that I don't believe has been used elsewhere.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

I have an Atlantis question (I have one, but not near me). I believe that if you knock down ANY two drops you get the 5000 pts. Is that correct? I know they are 'paired', but if you get a lucky skip shot and hit any two down 'almost' simultaneously... I believe the double drop bonus collects. Either way, cool feature that I don't believe has been used elsewhere.

I've hit the skip shot and I don't think it's ever collected the 5000. Just have to take the glass off and trip two drops not adjacent and see what happens.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

I don't have the print in front of me but I believe the switches are daisy chained so they have to be next to each other.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

It has to be a blue and a white target at the same time. I have earned the 5000 with a split shot. It could be the opposite ends of the bank as long as it is a blue and white in close enough succession.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

It has to be a blue and a white target at the same time. I have earned the 5000 with a split shot. It could be the opposite ends of the bank as long as it is a blue and white in close enough succession.

Ahh that was it, because I'm sure I'd seen that trigger a 5k hit. Interesting, thanks.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I don't have the print in front of me but I believe the switches are daisy chained so they have to be next to each other.

Wasn't sure if mine had a glitch or not. It happens pretty fast.

#43 3 years ago

Atlantis is the better game over C37. Atlantis is also my desert island game. Luckily we don't have to narrow it down to just one.

Looking at your collection I would recommend getting both and, as long as condition is acceptable, try the C37 also and make your own opinion. If condition is decent you should have no problem selling it if it doesn't have staying power for you.

C37 is still a fun game to play in its own right, just not as challenging as Atlantis where Atlantis can hand you your ass most of the time if you don't play it regularly.

To me C37 is to the Gottlieb 70's EM era as Scared Stiff is in the WPC era. Scared Stiff is a fun game to play and has its appeal, just that it is not as deep as other games from that era. I sold my Scared Stiff over other WPC games but have kept C37 in my Gottlieb collection.

#44 3 years ago

a complaint I hear a lot and I agree with it is C37 is to easy, I never hear that with atlantis.
I did make my c37 much harder by putting ALL the post in the conservative mode and putting a jumper on the 3/5 ball jones plug so I would have the 5 ball rules with only 3 balls.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I did make my c37 much harder by putting ALL the post in the conservative mode and putting a jumper on the 3/5 ball jones plug so I would have the 5 ball rules with only 3 balls.

That sounds like a very good idea. I'll have to try that.

My opinion is that C37 is easier on the 3 ball settings than it is on 5 ball due to the compensations you get on 3 ball. Taking those away would make it more balanced on 3 ball.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

a complaint I hear a lot and I agree with it is C37 is to easy, I never hear that with atlantis.

Not an EM but I did this same thing with my Gottlieb Pinball Pool. That game has the two banks of seven drop targets on each side. Gottlieb came up with a idea they called "remo-trip" when if you hit a drop on one side, it dropped a corresponding target on the other side. It differed on how the drops happened depending on if you had it set on 3 ball or 5 ball.

I thought that would make the game too easy so I just disabled the remo-trip altogether. And it makes the game a bunch tougher to play. I just didn't like the idea of collecting targets I didn't come near. Although, Top Card has this same type of feature where on three ball hitting one standup will collect another. I guess it's an ok idea but it wasn't for me. Easy enough to reverse, though, it's just one switch that I permanently opened.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Lawman is the same layout as Atlantis and also has the 5000 bonus for double drops.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Not an EM but I did this same thing with my Gottlieb Pinball Pool. That game has the two banks of seven drop targets on each side. Gottlieb came up with a idea they called "remo-trip" when if you hit a drop on one side, it dropped a corresponding target on the other side. It differed on how the drops happened depending on if you had it set on 3 ball or 5 ball.
I thought that would make the game too easy so I just disabled the remo-trip altogether. And it makes the game a bunch tougher to play. I just didn't like the idea of collecting targets I didn't come near. Although, Top Card has this same type of feature where on three ball hitting one standup will collect another. I guess it's an ok idea but it wasn't for me. Easy enough to reverse, though, it's just one switch that I permanently opened.

I helped our friend do that on a pinball a while back, made the game much better IMO

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Lawman is the same layout as Atlantis and also has the 5000 bonus for double drops.

I think you are mistaken. Lawman will give you 5000 for getting all of the drops down, similar to Atlantis, but only gives 500 for getting any single or double drop target down.

#50 3 years ago

Dang. All this Atlantis talk is inspiring me to finish the stencil job and put mine back together this weekend! I also just got a playfield protector for it from BAA. Can't wait to play it with that in place to level the inserts!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Mateo, CA
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
€ 3.70
$ 7,399.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 25.50
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 89.00
Cabinet Parts
Pappy's Pinball Palace
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods
$ 45.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 89.99
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside