(Topic ID: 34882)

ATLANTIS Restoration Project (Bally)(in progress)

By CaptainNeo

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

final_machine_003.jpg
final_machine_013.jpg
final_machine_009.jpg
final_machine_008.jpg
final_machine_005.jpg
final_machine_001.jpg
submarine.jpg
submarine_9.jpg
submarine_6.jpg
updated_017.jpg
updated_016.jpg
updated_015.jpg
updated_005.jpg
updated_004.jpg
updated_003.jpg
updated_009.jpg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I've showed you pics of the candy apple armor I painted for this project, so starting a thread, that shows my progress through the whole thing. Playfield is almost done, being restored. I have the new armor on the game. So here you go. I'll update when I can.

candy_web1.jpgcandy_web1.jpg cabinet_inside_003.jpgcabinet_inside_003.jpg cabinet_inside_005.jpgcabinet_inside_005.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Love the underwater art on the inside of the cabinet.
Hand painted or wallpaper?

#3 11 years ago

Hand painted. Also have a hidden feature that will be hidden in clear seaweed plastics once the playfield is back in.

btw, your not seeing double. I have 2 atlantises. Turning 2 games into one super nice one. The other will be sold off as a project, once mine is done. It's also a nice starter, and the cabinet is unfaded. Unfortunately, right below where you can't see, some kids peeled away a section of the lower cabinet. otherwise the cabinet would have been nice. cabinet_inside_001.jpgcabinet_inside_001.jpg

#4 11 years ago

beautiful color, cant wait to see the rest.

#5 11 years ago

i'll try and post pictures of my progress here and there.

#6 11 years ago

Very nice! That inner-wall artwork is a great touch.

#7 11 years ago

Beautiful work Neo!

#8 11 years ago

Great game, can't wait to see the finished product!

#9 11 years ago

here's a before and after of the coin door. Plus the playfield after clearing layer 3.

atlantis_before_003.jpgatlantis_before_003.jpg updated_002.jpgupdated_002.jpg updated_007.jpgupdated_007.jpg

#10 11 years ago

also a little detail in the flipper area.

updated_009.jpgupdated_009.jpg

#11 11 years ago

Neo,
Did the PF you're clearing, have mylar on it originally? It looks phenomenal.
If so, which method did you use to remove it?
(My Atlantis has mylar, and if it doesn't buffer up nice; I may try and remove it.)

Thanks,
Greg

#12 11 years ago

congratulation!!!the art inside cabinet is genial!did you need to touch up your playfield?

#13 11 years ago

First time I saw this pin was at PAPA. Loved it ever since. Good Luck Neo

#14 11 years ago

yea, that's the first time I saw it too. He only has one, and I usually walk right by it and don't give it a chance. But I had time to kill and there was a credit left on it, so I decided to give it a try. First impression was Meh. But then I matched. So I played again. Then I actually achieved a free game. Still couldn't figure out what was going on. Somehow I ended up paying for games and played it 20 times or more. Figured out the timed drop targets, and how to lock balls. Has a lot of unique features on it, and really started liking it.

The playfield had full playfield mylar, but suffered from the typical "funhouse" syndrome. Where everthing under the mylar looked great, everything else was dirty and discolored. Mylar came off nice and easy with the typical freeze spray and orange power (which I don't recommend until you test it as some playfields will eat the ink right off the field). This one didn't. The light blue top part of the playfield was a nightmare. Had to mask off and completely repaint that area. Pop bumper areas around all 3 rings were all bare wood.

#15 11 years ago

here's some pics of the cabinet all touched up. Overall it wasnt' bad. no fade, but some scratches , knicks and bumps here and there.

updated_003.jpgupdated_003.jpg updated_004.jpgupdated_004.jpg updated_005.jpgupdated_005.jpg

#16 11 years ago

btw, that first picture, the shark is not faded out, it's just the flash bleaching it out.

#17 11 years ago

Man, my Atlantis looks like ass.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from blubboman:

Man, my Atlantis looks like ass.

Yeah... mine too. Very jealous.
I'm hoping Neo brings it to MGC this year, and while he's distracted by one of the Anime chicks walking around, I'll substitute my Atlantis for his. He'll never noticed.

#19 11 years ago

You gotta love that translight!

#20 11 years ago

and the playfield looks great too. I was thinking on bringing it to MGC, I might or I may bring miss world again. We will see. Playfield is half populated. Should be done with it tonight.

#21 11 years ago

My LED order from Pinball life didn't show up today, so I can only populate so far. GI's are ground braided in, so if they are going in, they have to go in while i'm this far. Hopefully it will show up tomorrow.

#22 11 years ago

did you put automotive clearcoat??

#23 11 years ago

Nice looking game...never played it. I'll be looking around...

#25 11 years ago

Dude... that looks sweet, I can only hope my project turns out as nice.

#26 11 years ago

Ok, populated the playfield last night. Put in all the LEDs in, cleaned all the inserts from the backside. Threw it back in the cabinet. Going to hook it up and see if my voltages are correct. Also inserted the LED displays. Coming along good.

updated_015.jpgupdated_015.jpg updated_016.jpgupdated_016.jpg updated_017.jpgupdated_017.jpg

#27 11 years ago

also, i'm still working on customizing the submarine. Thinking on going with a steampunk looking sub. I could use some ideas. Seems most of the nautilus style models are very narrow and thin. Need something round enough to be able to have the balls run through it. Since the submarine holds and fires the balls out. Here are some of the concepts I like.

So if anyone has some ideas, let me know. Fish tank toys may work, Model kits, Copper smiths, or whatever, but running out of ideas. Also going to have it light up and what not.

submarine_6.jpgsubmarine_6.jpg submarine_9.jpgsubmarine_9.jpg submarine.jpgsubmarine.jpg

#28 11 years ago

will post pictures of it in the cabinet, after I get things sorted out later.

#29 11 years ago

I kind of like the Monsters in Motion one.

#30 11 years ago

i do too, except that model is 32" and can't seem to find one in a size more doable. and probably will work. and would look great lit up. Side window would be taken out because that's where the balls would load in.

#31 11 years ago

very nice!!! :applause:where did you buy your blue pop bumper?id like to copy your idea,its most beautiful than red cap...i will restor mine like you later.

#32 11 years ago

ok, it's done and in the machine. I also have video of it in action. Lots of reflection of the backbox lighting on the playfield. I should have put the backglass in for the pictures, but didn't think about it. Came out great. Today is the first time I tried starting the game. It fired right up with no problems. First time a project game ever did that for me.

final_machine_001.jpgfinal_machine_001.jpg final_machine_005.jpgfinal_machine_005.jpg final_machine_008.jpgfinal_machine_008.jpg

#33 11 years ago

Pictures don't really show off the lighting very well when the flash goes off. overall the machine came out great. Putting it in the gameroom in the afternoon.

final_machine_009.jpgfinal_machine_009.jpg final_machine_013.jpgfinal_machine_013.jpg final_machine_003.jpgfinal_machine_003.jpg

#34 11 years ago

I don't typically go for these types of mods, but what you've done is very tasteful and looks fantastic.

That's a gorgeous example of a machine that I was really into back in the day. Bravo.

#35 11 years ago

thank you. I really wanted to go with the water theme. And during multiball, all the GI's switch to super brite blue LED's. Looks great. Looks like your playing under water.

Btw, the pop bumber caps are for Fathom. Marco sells them. The octopus on them fits the theme perfectly as well. I could have gotten them just plain, but they were boring.

#36 11 years ago

if you want to see a video of it in action here it is.

for some reason, the GI's and all the blue LED's look purple in the video. They are not in real life. I don't know if it's the way LED's screw with digital video cameras, or if my camera is screwed up after the cat knocked it on the ground today. :/

#37 11 years ago

Nice work... looks great.
I see you went with the posts/rubber under the right-hand pop bumper. Should make for some interesting bounces off the bottom pop.

#38 11 years ago

Great looking job! Picture one is nice for the sub if Nautilus is too thin.
...er, now when are you selling it?

#39 11 years ago

Yea, I left that bottom rubber in. It's an early production playfield and if it wasn't there already, I wouldn't have put it in, but decided to try it. Both holes are T-nuted, so if I wanted to take them out, I can without it making a screw mound. Finding the ideal sub to install in there is my next objective. I had to screw with that whole locking system for around 2 hours last night to get it set just right. Set to loose and a fast ball flies around and launches on it's own(confusing the game badly), and too tight, and balls won't fall and lock when multiple balls are up there. I have it fine tuned now where it's perfectly balanced.

As for selling it. I'm done selling my games. But there is no such thing as not for sale. Someone throws 6k in front of me. I'll be forced to find another Atlantis.

#40 11 years ago

its worth 450 now

#42 11 years ago

game is setup in the main gameroom now. Looks great and plays fantastic. After screwing with the submarine lock for 2 hours last night. It's extremely sensitive. Too weak and a fast shot will shoot right out the front. Too strong and the next ball will be too slow to fall into place. Had to move the spring loaded wire and design a custom plastic ramp to move balls into position. Took a lot of work, but it works flawlessly now, at any ball speed.

Also note, the super brite LED's are too brite. playing is fine but if your off to one side, your blinded. Going to swap out some for some bright frosted. They should make super brites in the side shooters.

#43 11 years ago

550?

#45 11 years ago

bwahhaahhahaha stop sniffing fumes

#46 11 years ago

I love this game, and I sought it out to make a nice one. I don't want it to leave, but if it is, it's not going cheap.

#47 11 years ago

What are going to do with the other one? Sell as a project perhaps?

#48 11 years ago

yes, the other is being sold off as a project. I have 3 people in line for it, before I was even done with it. If all 3 of them drop out, i'll put it on the market here. It's all complete and might fire up, once the new transformer is put in (included). that's all I know that's wrong with it. Even mine, I didn't power up until 2 days ago. Didn't know what to expect. Fired right up without any problems.

#49 11 years ago

did you put a brand new submarine?(the plastic is very clear!)and your display is pinscore or pinled?thanks for your information.

#50 11 years ago

you mean that yellow plastic over the ramp? I took it out completely. you don't need it. The ramp works fine without it. I just use the Diver corner plastic to keep the ball on there. The other piece was to keep balls from falling all over, when the game was broken down with balls in the sub.

Still working on doing custom Sub toy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atlantis-restoration-project-in-progress and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.