Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by bicyclenut
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6291.jpg
Sequence9th.jpg

#1 3 years ago

I noticed this evening that the bottom left rollover does not score when the Special is lit. When not lit, it scores as it should, so the problem is not the switch itself. Can anyone save me a lot of time and point me in the likely direction of the problem? Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

When the Special is lit for that rollover, the 9th position make/break switch on the Sequence unit diverts the signal to add a replay rather than to the L relay to score 1000 points.

So it's working correctly.

(You may also note that if the ball goes over that rollover while the score motor is running, it doesn't score points or replay!)

#3 3 years ago

I see the same behavior on Volley. Dirt is correct.

#4 3 years ago

I'll double check this evening (or sometime very soon, at any rate). I had the impression that it was doing nothing at all (that is, that the knocker didn't go off and it didn't add a credit), but I could be completely wrong.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I'll double check this evening (or sometime very soon, at any rate). I had the impression that it was doing nothing at all (that is, that the knocker didn't go off and it didn't add a credit), but I could be completely wrong.

FWIW mine does this, and as it was home play only I decided to never investigate further (literally, IF the only not working was a single special strike that is very rarely used on my 3 ball game... I am okay with that).

IF it is a missing feature, that is actually surprising!

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

FWIW mine does this

Well, that's interesting. I wonder if someone else who owns an Atlantis could check this out on their machine.

#7 3 years ago

I just opened up the Atlantis and confirmed what I thought was the case: hitting any (red) lit target engages the knocker and adds a credit, as does knocking down all of the targets when the Special is lit. That lower left rollover does nothing, however. No credit, no knocker.

#8 3 years ago

Check the make/break 9th position switch on the Sequence unit then (it's under the playfield). The side that closes when the 9th position is reached probably doesn't get closed enough for much self-cleaning wiping action, and oxidizes.

But the Special rollover routes through that switch down to the Add Replay and Knocker.

#9 3 years ago

Will do. I can't get to this immediately, but I am keenly interested in following up on it. I'd also like to hear from anyone else who has an Atlantis.

#10 3 years ago

Just sell me the Atlantis and be done with this problem machine

#11 3 years ago

Dirt is the man on this. No further need to elaborate.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Just sell me the Atlantis and be done with this problem machine

I wouldn't dream of selling defective merchandise!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I wouldn't dream of selling defective merchandise!

I'll take it As-Is

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I just opened up the Atlantis and confirmed what I thought was the case: hitting any (red) lit target engages the knocker and adds a credit, as does knocking down all of the targets when the Special is lit. That lower left rollover does nothing, however. No credit, no knocker.

I have an Atlantis that does the same thing....Exactly

#15 3 years ago

Very interesting. Either it is a very common bug or...it's a feature!

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Very interesting. Either it is a very common bug or...it's a feature!

I was recently trying to figure this same problem out the other day but gave up. Everything works perfect on my game and this was the only thing I noticed to be off. (honestly, I suck at this game and very seldom get the special lit). I was messing with the stepper disk under the playfiled. When its in the "special mode" if I move the disk one more over on the copper brads, the special lights go out but that far left bottom roll though will hit the knocker and pay a credit. But them I thought, "This cant be right cause everything else will be off. I gave up for now.

#17 3 years ago

Huh. If I get the chance, I'll mess with it this weekend.

#18 3 years ago

It's the make/break 9th position switch on the Sequence Unit (under the playfield)...

#19 3 years ago

Check the related relay solder tabs. I bet one is shorting to another.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

It's the make/break 9th position switch on the Sequence Unit (under the playfield)...

Yep!! that was it! Took me all of 5 minutes to fix it. Thank You for the help.

#21 3 years ago

Dirt is definitely the man.

#22 3 years ago

Sorry that I haven't been able to get back to this after raising the issue. Thanks for your help.

#23 3 years ago

I've spent some time working on this today, but still no joy. Please pardon whatever ignorance on my part is preventing me from solving this puzzle.

I gently filed or sandpapered what appeared to be any and all relevant contacts on the (round) sequence unit. I cleaned the contacts on the #9 rollover make/break switches. I cleaned the contacts on the motor stepper switches (sorry if I can't name everything properly; this is still foreign territory) that had the same wires as those on the rollover switches. I then tested the continuity of all of these switches, including every one on the sequence unit that was engaged when the 1-9 sequence was completed.

All of them had continuity, but that bottom left rollover still does not activate a credit. So, what do you think I am missing?

#24 3 years ago

P.S. I guess it's silly to invest this much energy in trying to solve the problem since the pin is on free play. It's nice to hear the knocker go off and see a credit added, but it doesn't affect the use of the machine in any way.

#25 3 years ago

Does your knocker work at all? When the special is lit, and the red target is on a standing target on the right, will it work?

#26 3 years ago

Yes, the special works everywhere except the lower left rollover.

#27 3 years ago

It's not the rollover switches, it's the 9th position make/break switch that's on the switch stack on the backside of the Sequence Unit stepper. When the wiper disc steps all the way to the 9th position, a post on the cam should close that switch.

Here's a picture (sorry, old pic of one I could find on hand, so bad angle).

Arrow points to the switch.

Sequence9th.jpg

#28 3 years ago

Whoever said, "Ignorance is bliss"? Yup, that's it. The funny thing is that I noticed that switch earlier and checked it for continuity (when the contacts are together, that is.) The problem wasn't corrosion. It was bent very, very slightly, but enough that it wasn't making contact properly when the post came around to close the switch. When I had closed it manually, it worked like a charm.

Thanks! Nothing like knowing what you're doing. At least all of this trial and error is teaching me a lot.

Case closed.

#29 3 years ago

Awesome!! it was the same problem for me too.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

It's not the rollover switches, it's the 9th position make/break switch that's on the switch stack on the backside of the Sequence Unit stepper. When the wiper disc steps all the way to the 9th position, a post on the cam should close that switch.

BTW Dirt....you da man! Thanks again

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

BTW Dirt....you da man!

Yup. It is great having a place where I can turn for this kind of information. As far as I know, there is nobody local who would be able to help me with EMs.

#32 3 years ago

Great - glad that worked out.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Great - glad that worked out

I have another question for you. On my Atlantis, the roll throughs at the top there are 3. When the ball rolls through the middle one when lit, it doesnt advance the spot on the right hand side. When it rolls through either the left or right one (when lit), it advances the spot on the right side correctly. Would this be an adjustment on the score motor?
Thanks

#34 3 years ago

I'll have to dig my schematic back out...

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I have another question for you. On my Atlantis, the roll throughs at the top there are 3. When the ball rolls through the middle one when lit, it doesnt advance the spot on the right hand side. When it rolls through either the left or right one (when lit), it advances the spot on the right side correctly. Would this be an adjustment on the score motor?
Thanks

First thing I would check is the rollover switch itself. It has two sets of contacts for either 500, or 3000/advance scoring. Perhaps as easy as that switch not making proper contact? Sounds like wouldn't be in the advance stepper unit, if both of the others are scoring properly.

#36 3 years ago

this thread needs a picture of your atlantis. I bought one last year. it only lights up when you plug it in but doesn't take credits. it was working before it was shipped to me. beautiful pin!

#37 3 years ago

OK, dug my schematic back out.

There are two switches on each of those top rollovers. One switch activates the C relay for 500 pts. The other switch activates the E relay for advancing the sequence, but this path also has to go through switches at motor 4E and 3E (both are make/break switches). Oh, and this path also goes through the 3/5 ball adjustment.

So if the rollover contact itself isn't it, then the switches at motor 4E and 3E would be good to check next.

#38 3 years ago

IMG_6291.JPG
Heres mine

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

There are two switches on each of those top rollovers. One switch activates the C relay for 500 pts. The other switch activates the E relay for advancing the sequence, but this path also has to go through switches at motor 4E and 3E (both are make/break switches). Oh, and this path also goes through the 3/5 ball adjustment.

Yep, it was the 4E. Thank you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,199 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Farmville, VA
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 146.66
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 35.95
Playfield - Other
MicksPinball
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
$ 999.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside