• 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by izzicat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Atlantis score motor (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider izzicat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I'm in the middle of bringing an old Gottlieb Atlantis back to life. It's been sitting unused for almost 30 years. Most of my issues have been resolved with just a good batch of contact cleaning and adjusting. I'm fortunate enough to have what appears to be a complete set of documentation.

My latest issue is that every score event that is a multiple of 5 (like 500 points or 5000 points) only gives me 4 (400 or 4000). The chimes are in sync with the points. Four chimes, for point increments, NOT 5. From what I can tell, the motor position that stops the rotation of the motor (2B), seems to engage before position 1A has completed counting the 5th notch. This happens no matter which of the three revolution segments I'm in. 2B engages before the 5th notch in 1A, so relays C and D drop out before the last count.

I looked real hard at the 2B bank of switches, and there appears to be no adjustment. Actually, it looks like a piece of the "wiper" may be broken off. Makes some sense, as if the wiper was longer it would rise off the post a bit later in the arc, which would give 1A a little more time to engage. But I took it apart and the end of the wiper is square, so if it is broken off its a clean break.

BUT, I also looked at the wiper on the 1A switch. I figured it was possible that 2B may not be coming in too early, 1B may just be running a bit late... There was a little "slop" in the play on the wiper arm, which by the way is in the "S" position. So I figured if I could bend the wiper just a bit, I could get it to climb over the gear before 2B engaged.

Guess those things aren't meant to bend, as I broke it. .....

So now I'm on the hunt for a replacement S/L wiper arm (I may have a source).

But my real question is "am I missing something here"? Can you come up with a reason why 2B is actually meant to engage before the 5th iteration of 1A? Is something else going on?

I can post some pictures, but I figured that there are a lot of you that Atlantis schematics laying around.

Thanks in advance....

izzicat

#3 4 years ago

Mark, Thanks for the help. I have a donor Gottlieb Wild Life play field {no head} that I bought decades ago for parts. I believe it is a close enough vintage to the Atlantis that I can use the score motor parts from it as reference and replacement. It's in storage, so hopefully I can get to it by the weekend. (snowing here in Missouri tonight).

I do have a few other issues with the Atlantis, but this one is the annoying one. Pretty sure the problem is the end of the follower {wiper} arm on 2B is broken off and has had a "field modification" which shortened it about 1/4" and it is engaging too soon. It's not in a part of the 2B switch cluster impacted by the S/L position... Now if I just hadn't broken that follower arm on 1A ...

izzicat

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider izzicat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atlantis-motor-timing-scoring-issue?tu=izzicat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.