image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noobee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Just finished a full restore of my once termite ridden Atlantis!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Nice, looks like you're also set up for 3 more Wade Krause playfields.

I guess I'm being dense, what do you mean by that?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

Very nice!! Is that a Wade PF? I ask because you have the pin above the right flipper, which my Wade PF doesn't have.

No, I repaint and clearcoat all my playfields myself...

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from FatalityTech:

Looks Great! Excellent work. How was the playfield when you started?
FatalityTech
Joe ---

The playfield wasn't as bad as some, but was definitely dirty and would not clean up too well, so I did a complete repaint.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from FatalityTech:

Is that hard / expensive to do? Looks Great!

Certainly not expensive, the way I do it, but very tedious and time consuming. I guess you just have to like doing stuff like that. I repaint with Joanne fabrics acrylic paints and craft brushes. Then I clearcoat with, dare I say, brush on minwax polycrylic. Block sanding between coats 2 or 3 through 7. Many say that is sacrilege, but in my experience it looks good if done right, and with the amount of play the machines get in home use, holds up very well.

#12 6 years ago

BTW, the backglass is a Bgresto. Shout out to Steve, who has done all of my backglasses and does a magnificent job, in my opinion.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Hank
Very, very nice like all of your pins! That cab is perfect... repainted or original?

The cabinet is repainted using rattle cans and homemade stencils. Actually the original cabinet was toast due to heavy termite damage, so I had to sacrifice another machine and use its cabinet. Cool that a two player king cool has the exact same cabinet as the Atlantis.

#17 6 years ago

Thanks. I had not played too many games on Atlantis before I bought it, but man is it a great playing game! Very entertaining rule set for sure. I think it just turned into my favorite game!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i have taken on a lot of different types of basket cases but never had to deal with termites. not sure i would of tried if i was in your shoes

I ended up using a donor cabinet and a donor back box head. I rebuilt an entirely new back box light box board and a new bottom cabinet board and piece of wood for tilt mech. Threw every piece of wood out except for the playfield which was in reasonable shape. I inspected and treated with some sort of termite stuff, can't remember the name.

The whole termite experience was a nightmare. I will NEVER do that again. Perhaps in another thread I will tell that story. In retrospect, the machine looks good now, but I still get nervous about having brought the original machine anywhere near my house.

I also paid WAY too much for the machine in its awful condition, but after all it is an Atlantis.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

That's exactly what I did with my Atlantis. It arrived from Florida a termite-ridden mess. I ditched every piece of wood but the playfield and got a donor cabinet and head and started over. Turned out great. I detailed it in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-atlantis/page/5#post-3020439

Oh I saw your thread. Beautiful job! I referred to it on a couple of occasions. Thanks for sharing your great work!

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Great job
Minor point - flippers are not meant to be set up offset on this game.
Enjoy!

Yeah, I was so excited to take some pics, I did so before I finished adjusting the flipper position. Think I have it right now though, thanks for the input. You guys don't miss a thing!

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

great looking game
"FYI" the pin by the right sling plastic was only used on sample games. they extended the plastic during the production run
thus making the pin not needed. the dimple remained during the production run. the plastic does what the pin was intended to do

I wasn't sure about that. The game had the pin when I got it. The ipdb write up does not indicate that the pin was only on the sample games, so I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noobee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atlantis-back-from-the-brink?tu=noobee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.