Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BEF9BB97-61D9-4DDE-AFAF-B43963294969 (resized).jpeg
962C16CE-3EDA-4502-9F90-18D3DE1CD0E9 (resized).jpeg
E9AE593B-B02D-48A8-9BD3-5E2618BBBE58 (resized).jpeg
C002125F-D7AC-4ECE-9EFE-A16F1FD38391 (resized).jpeg
18BDBBBD-4CF4-42F0-89A9-42A42CE4F6BE (resized).jpeg
134551C3-2C80-4934-BC0D-0B014502A3A5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago

Should be easy enough to pop the coin door open and see if the other two flippers were ever mounted.

But that start button is fascinating..... I can't even see any evidence it was ever on the cabinet. Did Atari have full-on coin doors for anything prior to Atarians? All the 1976 and prior arcade games I'm looking at just had the smaller coin mech mounting plates.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

or the 2 missing flippers. Where the flippers should be, it has different ball wire guides, and plastics that seem to match the artwork. I suppose its possible that some operator, removed 2 flippers, made custom wire guides and plastics AND while he was at it, nicely and cleaned patched the start button hole and proceeded to then match the paint/art perfectly, but that seems like a stretch.
I could believe that being the first atari pin, and possibly a prototype, they used a midway coin door because it was available. The actual production coin doors weren't ready yet, but they needed a working prototype. Makes sense to me at least.
I am not an expert by any means, especially when it comes to atari pinball, but I'm gonna have to go with Occam's Razor on this one and bet it is a prototype of some sort. You'll definitely want to verify with somebody who would know though. I wonder if Mark or Steve Ritchie might have some answers.
Definitely document as much as you can and be sure to share with IPDB

Actually, Steve probably wouldn't be able to answer this one, he wasn't at Atari yet at that point.

-Hans

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atarians-prototype-sample?tu=HHaase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.