image_8.jpeg
image_7.jpeg
image_6.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image_4.jpeg
image_5.jpeg
WP_20141213_15_50_49_Pro.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I recently purchased an Atari Airborne Avenger in pretty rough shape. Upon further examination, wires are cut all over the place. Cut on the coin door, right flipper button, start button, both tilt in bottom of the cabinet and plumb bob. I believe, the on/off switch was replaced with this device I've attached a picture of and the original on/off switch is just inside the coin door but am not 100% sure.

So far, I've been able to pretty easily match wire colors but other areas are tough because some of the wires are so faded near the connectors. I've looked at the manual but I'm horrible at reading the schematic.

Could someone with a first generation Atari machine mind taking photos of the front part of their cabinet? Ideally the on/off switch, coin door, flipper buttons, start button, etc.

Also, any tips for connecting the wires together again? I planned to solder and then use heat shrink tubing.

WP_20141213_15_50_49_Pro.jpgWP_20141213_15_50_49_Pro.jpg
#3 9 years ago

That is definitely not the original power switch. It looks like one out of an Atari video game: http://s133.photobucket.com/user/phetishboy/media/Rampagee/DSC01281.jpg.html

#4 9 years ago

Yeah, that's definitely it. Since this one was in a bowling alley years ago, I wonder if they had certain on/off switches for on site vs home use only so patrons couldn't control the power of the machine.

I'm guessing the original switch is just like the one inside the coin door.
http://bayareaamusements.com/images/items/SW-5643-09112-00.jpg

I'll know for sure in a couple days when my Superman arrives.

#5 9 years ago

The Superman is a Gen 2, which will be different than your Gen 1 Airborne Avenger, although the power switch might be the same between them. If you still need photos, I can probably take some of mine.

#6 9 years ago

I would absolutely love some photos. I haven't gotten any yet. I mainly just need to see what type of switch it is so I can order a replacement. There's one wire towards the back that I still need to figure out. I'll try to post a photo of that specific wire this weekend.

The Superman I purchased is still on a truck somewhere between Philly and Iowa. I'm hoping it will be here within the week or I might start to panic. I am hopeful there will be a few similarities in the 2 machines to make my life a little easier on AA but read they changed quite a bit from Gen 1 to Gen 2.

#7 9 years ago

Here are some photos of mine. Hope this helps you out.

image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg
image_4.jpegimage_4.jpeg
image_5.jpegimage_5.jpeg
image_6.jpegimage_6.jpeg
image_7.jpegimage_7.jpeg
image_8.jpegimage_8.jpeg
image_9.jpegimage_9.jpeg
image_10.jpegimage_10.jpeg
image_11.jpegimage_11.jpeg
image_12.jpegimage_12.jpeg

#8 9 years ago

Excellent, thank you very much! Mine looks the same as yours, minus the power switch. I'm missing the switch and the metal plate it's attached to. Now to search for that...

1 week later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-wiring-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.