Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've been doing some reading into Atari pins, and slowly learning some of the basics of how the MPU operates, and I came across a few mentions of there being a universal MPU for Generation 1 games, for both the short and long MPU variants.

Does anyone happen to have any photos of these?

#2 8 years ago

I repaired many Atari Gen 1 CPU boards but I never saw the "universal" one. It is the same as the others but with all the transistors, ULN2003 lampdrivers and 74145 switch selectors populated. The Atari documentation is very nice and gives you a good understanding about how their Direct Memory Controller operates. They took a very different approach as Bally, Williams and Gottlieb. Only Zaccaria has a more or less same design. I like to work on those Atari games, it is like pioneering as there is not a lot (usable) info about those games available at the web.

Marco

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

I repaired many Atari Gen 1 CPU boards but I never saw the "universal" one. It is the same as the others but with all the transistors, ULN2003 lampdrivers and 74145 switch selectors populated.

I kind of thought that might be the case. Thanks for confirming.

I've been finding several things in these games that seemed to be ahead of their time, or were really neat design choices. But there were also several oddball things that nobody else seemed to do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-universal-mpu-photos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.