Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by DennisK
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Superman reset (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

We've had a Superman machine in our family since the later 1980's that I now have in my home. It is in great condition but has an issue now that I need to correct. Finding people to repair pinball machines is difficult, let alone someone with experience with the Superman machine (I am located in Southern California). I am hoping someone can provide some tips based on the attached picture (note that I have a video but cannot attach to this thread).

As you'll see, there is a relay inside the coin door (circled in red) that continually resets, rendering the game unplayable. It used to do it initially when the machine was turned on but would stop after a few minutes (we simply attributed it to the machine needing to "warm up"). Presently though, it continually clicks (resets?), and I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. As well, the digital scoreboard continually flashes "00000"as the machine continues to reset.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Superman reset (resized).jpg
#2 5 months ago

start by checking your +5v power on the MPU, i expect your issues may be related to your MPU not booting and a low or dirty 5 volts will do that to one

atari usually documented their designs very well so chances are the test points are marked on the pcb's in the back box

if not refer to schematics / op manual

#3 5 months ago
Quoted from creepykenny:

if not refer to schematics / op manual

Available electronically here if you don't have them:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2454/Atari_1979_Superman_Schematics_paginated.pdf

#4 5 months ago

btw, that relay on the coin door appears to be the coin lock-out relay which prevents coin drop if machine is not working properly so it is only a symptom not a cause of you problem

#5 5 months ago

I *think* I had this issue with my Superman when I got it. In my instance, the fuse holder in the backbox was not securely holding the fuses. When we tightened it the problem was temporarily fixed (ultimately the fuse block was replaced).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside