(Topic ID: 67957)

Atari Superman, none of the playfield solenoids are working.

By SkinnyLynny

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Jags
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Went to look at a Superman pinball machine and the owner said they had sent all the boards to Johns Jukes for repair and they were repaired and tested before being shipped back. Here is the issue now, the left flipper will work but the right flipper will not (the switches are burnt and looks like it needs a new resistor as well) no other solenoids on the playfield are working, but they do score when hit. It also seems as if there is a switch stuck closed somewhere on the playfield because you can bump the playfield and it will score random points, 100, 500, 1000, etc. I have checked all of the fuses in the backbox with a meter and they all checked good. I also noticed that when I engage the outhole kicker, top left saucer and the drop target switches, the LED on the bottom left of the I/O board will flash. Any ideas on what I should check next?

#2 10 years ago

Sunday bump please

#3 10 years ago

bump please

2 weeks later
#4 10 years ago

Anyone?

#5 10 years ago

Here is some info I discovered a few months back when I was considering the purchase of a Superman with the same problem. Seems like it's a common problem. It comes from this website:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Atari_Repair

If you get yours fixed please let me know as I'm still considering the purchase. Good Luck!!

Pertains to Atari Superman and Hercules pinball (Atari Gen2 Circuit Boards)

If all playfield coils except for the flippers do not work, the likely suspect would be the chip enable circuit that is based around the CDN4013 chip located at B4/5, and also utilizes the MPS-A06 transistors at Q65, Q66, Q81, Q106 and the SJU783 transitor at Q103.

Other than the chip-enable circuitry, the solenoid driver section on the Gen2 Atari driver board is a very simple circuit layout. A single MC14514B line decoder controls each of the individual solenoid circuits. Each solenoid circuit consists of only an MPS-A06 pre-driver transistor, which drives the SJE783 driver transistor.

There is some confusion regarding driver transistors, as the schematic lists the driver transistor to be an SJE783, while the board layout lists a 2N6041, but most boards used an RCA8203B. The SJE783 is essentially impossible to find any information about, and the RCA8203B has been unavailable for quite some time. While the 2N6041 is available, a cheaper and more robust alternative would be the TIP107. Note that this applies only to Superman and Hercules boards, earlier machines used different components.

The MPS-A06 is still a commonly available part through most large electronics houses.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-superman-none-of-the-playfield-solenoids-are-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.