Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by trueno92
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm working on saving this Space Riders I just bought - as well as it being my first pin. I have a decent understanding due to working on some cabinets, such as Battlezone, Stargate and my Neo Geo, but I am a little stuck even with the help of some friends. Note on the pin:

Johns Jukes had serviced the MPU and Auxillary in Sept 2020 (Not by me, unsure everything they changed, or what was changed prior to them.

I'd also like to add that some servicing had clearly not been from Johns Jukes (See D4), so some prior repairs can be put into question.

Since then, I have done the following with a friend:
PRIOR to these changes, the game was watchdogging, with the displays showing garbage and only the back half of lights ever turning on.

Burned new 2532 ROMs (doubled the image)
Replaced D4 (It was a fujitsu, and a small splash of solder bridged pin 1 and 2)

With this, the game no longer watchdogs, and a few more lights sometimes turn on. Oh, and at least 8 of the solenoids immediately activate, so I've unplugged that connector.

Continuing on, this is what we stopped at:
6800 ~HALT is toggling but BA stays low
E10 Pin4 stuck low (R/~W B)

Replaced both, with no change.

Replaced RAM, no change.

Any guidance would be lovely, I don't have access to making a test rom for a few weeks.

I can add any videos if needed in the morning, or gather more information.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from zed7:

Hi everyone, I'm working on saving this Space Riders I just bought - as well as it being my first pin. I have a decent understanding due to working on some cabinets, such as Battlezone, Stargate and my Neo Geo, but I am a little stuck even with the help of some friends. Note on the pin:
Johns Jukes had serviced the MPU and Auxillary in Sept 2020 (Not by me, unsure everything they changed, or what was changed prior to them.
I'd also like to add that some servicing had clearly not been from Johns Jukes (See D4), so some prior repairs can be put into question.
Since then, I have done the following with a friend:
PRIOR to these changes, the game was watchdogging, with the displays showing garbage and only the back half of lights ever turning on.
Burned new 2532 ROMs (doubled the image)
Replaced D4 (It was a fujitsu, and a small splash of solder bridged pin 1 and 2)
With this, the game no longer watchdogs, and a few more lights sometimes turn on. Oh, and at least 8 of the solenoids immediately activate, so I've unplugged that connector.
Continuing on, this is what we stopped at:
6800 ~HALT is toggling but BA stays low
E10 Pin4 stuck low (R/~W B)
Replaced both, with no change.
Replaced RAM, no change.
Any guidance would be lovely, I don't have access to making a test rom for a few weeks.
I can add any videos if needed in the morning, or gather more information.

Picking an Atari as your first pin is a bold move.
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Atari_Second_Generation_Repair
Pin wiki is definitely gonna be your go to!

If John serviced this game so recently than was it ever working or did someone pull those boards have him fix it and they STILL don’t work? That would be odd.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Picking an Atari as your first pin is a bold move.
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Atari_Second_Generation_Repair
Pin wiki is definitely gonna be your go to!
If John serviced this game so recently than was it ever working or did someone pull those boards have him fix it and they STILL don’t work? That would be odd.

Honestly? I have no idea. The previous story I was told was that it sat in a barn for 20 years, and didn't run (the rust backed this up at the time). Now that I've seen they've worked on the boards.... it's confusing.

Pins here in Vancouver are god awful prices usually (my opinion) and my parents would rather play a pin over battlezone, so I went with a somewhat average priced Space Riders.

EDIT: John's Jukes ONLY serviced the Auxillary and MPU boards as they were shipped to his shop. However, stuff like new(er) Littelfuse holders and okay shape rubbers were on the machine, which leads to some... unanswerable questions.

2 weeks later
#4 2 years ago

Update: after replacing 6 chips, RAM, and ROM, I've now got it to boot to attract, but it's missing some functionalities still. Should be able to save this atari after all.

#5 2 years ago

Keep at er... sounds promising

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-space-riders-not-working- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.