Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200930_165022 (resized).jpg
20200930_175452 (resized).jpg
20200921_181657 (resized).jpg
20200921_203718 (resized).jpg
20200923_215917 (resized).jpg
20200923_213754 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider semicolin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 2 years ago

Normally you can't put LEDs in the controlled lamps in a middle earth because it runs warm filaments. Did you modify the drive circuitry?

11 months later
#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Quickdraw19:

What is the issues with having LEDs on the Ataris? Do they just not work? I have a Bally Eight Ball that came with LED's, but they kept blinking. I learned that the LEDs don't draw enough current through the driver transistors to stayed locked on. I got an adaptor board to solve that problem. I read that another solution is to attach a resistor to the bulb socket. Do Ataris have the same problem or is it something else?

Atari games are always running a very small amount of current through feature lamps. This was intended to keep the filaments warm, and the thought was that they'd burn out less frequently resulting in less operator maintenance. LEDs require very little current and voltage to illuminate, so installing some brands of LEDs in the feature lamps result in them being lit all the time.

It's possible to build a circuit that will avoid this, but I have yet to sit down and actually sort it out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider semicolin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-repairs-gen1-games?tu=semicolin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.