View topic image gallery

20171015_124016 (resized).jpg
20171015_124114 (resized).jpg
20171015_124045 (resized).jpg
2012-03-09_21-20-45_400.jpg
2012-03-09_21-20-22_893.jpg
2012-03-09_21-20-15_449.jpg
2012-03-09_21-19-49_209.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neutrino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 10 years ago

I had a similar issue with my Time 2000 where the pop bumpers (and probably the slingshots) would seem to start firing randomly after a few minutes of play. My problem ended up being the "Switch Common" line that is normally pulled up to 5 volts when inactive. This line was being pulled down by an issue with SW1 position 6. When this switch was in the "On" position, it was pulling the line voltage down to around 2.5 volts (right around the high/low voltage threshold). My theory is that when the chips in the circuit warmed up it would float further towards ground causing switches to be inaccurately sensed as closed.

My initial thought would be to check your "Switch Common" line to make sure that it's sitting at 5 volts when no switches are activated. Then one by one activate each switch and try and see if this triggers the problem. You should be able to monitor the voltage level of the common line with a DMM or Oscilloscope.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neutrino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-middle-earth?tu=neutrino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.