Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JethroP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

90A8845E-A4AC-4372-8C9A-2DC9D2AB5CF7 (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Picked up a Middle Earth. Replaced a fuse and got it working except for the Display 3rd person, and 4 switches (two pop bumpers and the two top rollover buttons). All the switches that weren't working I traced to (I believe) a faulty 74145 driver and I replaced it. I also replaced a 14511 decoder driver in the display unit. Now, I turn on the game but it no longer plays. I believe I fixed the 3rd person display...it shows all digits now. But the machine will not start a game. It is stuck in attract mode. The credit display is showing 88 88. When I drop a coin I get sound, but the credits don't change (88 88). Pressing the start button does nothing. Pressing the test button does nothing also, but I think that's because there is no door switch and the switch wires are jumpered.

I changed all the electrolytics on the aux board but that didn't help.

Not sure what I might have done since it was working before I removed the CPU. The connectors look fine. Any help greatly appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

I learned how to work on those Gen 1 Atari boards about a year ago. There are a few good troubleshooting guides in the manuals and Pinwiki. Sounds like it could be as simple as a connector issue or you have a input chip on the board that goes to the start button not registering. I use a logic probe to check signals and isolate it. Looking at the schematic I would check that inverter D11 or that Smitts Inverter E9. I assume you pulled the manual off the IPDB if you don’t have it.
    I had a board that would not start and it was E9. If you are getting a sound when you drop a coin or hit coin switch I would assume you are getting credits. Are you showing any credits in small coin display? Good luck !

90A8845E-A4AC-4372-8C9A-2DC9D2AB5CF7 (resized).png90A8845E-A4AC-4372-8C9A-2DC9D2AB5CF7 (resized).png
    #3 2 years ago
    Quoted from obxamuse:

Are you showing any credits in small coin display?

No. Drop a coin and hear a sound, but the display still shows 88 88 (all segments lit).

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from obxamuse:

Looking at the schematic I would check that inverter D11 or that Smitts Inverter E9.

Using a logic probe I get signals at D11 pin 12 and E9 pin 12 when pressing the start button, but the signal doesn't change at D9 pin 3. Shouldn't D9 pin 3 change state when I press the start button?

#5 2 years ago

Kinda strange that it makes a sound but doesn’t put a credit on small coin display. D9 is a NAND gate. When both inputs are high output will be low. If both low output would be high. So depending on the state of pin 2, pin 3 might not change
    On D9. Also you apparently have another issue with the credits. If the game won’t credit naturally you can’t start a game.
    If you could get it into test mode you could check switches so you might want to check out the test switch input circuitry.
    Also make sure you have a good ground connection to your switches. I had several problems with them and jumpered a few together to fix the problem.

#6 2 years ago

I replaced E9 and D11. No change. Still stuck in attract mode. Coin produces sound, but the credit display isn't working, shows only 88 88. I do get output change at E9 pin 12 when pressing the start button, so I know the switch connection is good. Any suggestions to test?

#7 2 years ago

Do you have a Space Riders manual? If not you can get it in the IPDB. It has a great troubleshooting section. See page 59, I think that is where it steps you through troubleshooting your issue. I used the guide to help me troubleshoot some of my boards. I could check some signals on my game if necessary.

#8 2 years ago

I tried using the troubleshooting info in the Space Rider manual. The symptoms and flowchart didn't work for me. Something new is occurring....maybe more telling of my problem. When I left the game powered up unattended for about 20 minutes it started going crazy....activating continuously the solenoids. Was making a lot of noise so I shut it down. After it cooled down I powered it up and again, after it warmed up, it started resetting continuously. At one point even I could operate the flippers, but no switches on the playfield scored anything. I mean, the game wasn't even reset, it was just going nuts. I have a constant 5v to the MPU. I'm thinking to change C9 and C5, but don't know if I wasting my time and money on this thing.

#9 2 years ago

Replaced C9. No change. Definitely starts acting up after it warms up for a few minutes. Sometimes all the lights start flashing. Sometimes the solenoids all start resetting. Sometimes sits quietly in attract mode. Not sure what to check/replace next. I think I have a project for someone else.

#10 2 years ago

Once it starts going crazy id feel around for somethibg really hot..

Maybe power the 5v with an external power supply

3 months later
    #11 2 years ago

JethroP with the display showing all segments and everything firing as you describe, this sounds like the 2111 RAM chips. Depending on your board, you may have two or four chips along the D lane. If 4 chips, they should be D5,D6,D7,D8 not totally sure where they would be if Two chips (usually Two if E0 and E00 are present)

2 weeks later
    #12 2 years ago

Sold this machine a few months ago. I'll mark the thread as resolved.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-middle-earth-stuck-in-attract-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.