Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pin5 (resized).JPG
pin4 (resized).JPG
pin3 (resized).JPG
pin2 (resized).JPG
pin1pin1 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

Hi...I have owned this machine for a while and it never has had any real problems other than normal wear and tear. It was a fully restored and LED upgraded machine when I purchased it.

So I was playing it the other night(gets played every day!) and the Upper right flipper stopped working.

Opened the machine and cleaned the connector thinking it welded it self....that didn't change anything.

Opened the machine and checked all the fuses.

Now after testing I all of a sudden lost all solenoids, but all the lights/score etc kept working.

Opened the machine again and did the Test Tech features. There was also a burnt smell in the machine. Found a burnt out fuse on the tilt control panel and replaced it.

Now everything was working except now the Upper left filler stopped working and the upper right was working.....

Opened the machine and once again the burnt smell, the 10w 4ohm Ceramic resistor was super hot to the touch and even had a tiny piece come off. The area around it is discolored from heat.

Back to testing and every function on the machine was working except the upper left flipper. THEN I lost everything except the lights and score again. I guess a thermal fuse was kicked in allowing the Solenoid driver section of the board not to function. Once it cooled down (heats up to this point in under a minute) everything but the upper left flipper work.

I have ordered and replacement resistor, but any thoughts of what else I should check/do beside replacing this!

I miss playing my machine every day! It is my stress outlet

pin1pin1 (resized).JPGpin1pin1 (resized).JPGpin2 (resized).JPGpin2 (resized).JPGpin3 (resized).JPGpin3 (resized).JPGpin4 (resized).JPGpin4 (resized).JPGpin5 (resized).JPGpin5 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#2 3 years ago

Did you get it working again?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Dewman:

Did you get it working again?

Yep, Replaced the 10W resistor at first, nothing....Then I replace the associated transistor for the flippers and bamn! back to happy! I also installed a seat heating mat under the cpu and now the sound isn't funny when it is cold...which is always...its in my garage and I live at 5100' in the moutains.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Reno_Eric:

Yep, Replaced the 10W resistor at first, nothing....Then I replace the associated transistor for the flippers and bamn! back to happy! I also installed a seat heating mat under the cpu and now the sound isn't funny when it is cold...which is always...its in my garage and I live at 5100' in the moutains.

I'm at 4850' neighbor and two of the machines are in generally unheated space so I feel you pain.

#5 3 years ago

Good to see another ME working

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-middle-earth-repair-help-needed?hl=dewman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.