(Topic ID: 183501)

Atari Middle Earth Club / Group ( All Welcome )

By jasonp

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 172 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by MR-808
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3046 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2983 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2984 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3079 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3020 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2862 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2470 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2469 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2468 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trueno92.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 6 years ago

hey guys, i got a middle earth about 8 months ago and it started the spiral into my now-new-to-me pinball collection. I didn't touch a pinball machine before that, only fixing up vids!

I made some videos of going thru my middle earth journey, I got the machine not working, for free.

Then i made a lockdown bar, got some glass and did a few other things that I thought would be cool, like try to animate the backglass with lighting effects, and add some small dinos to the pf that would light when a feature in the game is available.

enjoy!

1 month later
#14 6 years ago

So in my small collection I have a shopped demoltion man, a shopped f14 and my restored middle earth.

Its been a while since I even played ME as its been more of a work bench lately but I had the lineup on over the weekend and ME is a fantastic change of pace! I really enjoyed a few games on it after crushing YAGOV in f14 for like 45 mins straight.

Nothing like those smooth non mylar playfields too!

2 years later
#34 3 years ago

Hello Pinside, after a couple year hiatus im back! I all but abandoned my pins for a while. Now after playing them for a bit more, my Middle Earth has decided its had enough.

I turned it on the other night and found the game totally plays fine, but ALL the lighting is out except for the backglass (which is a different circuit). I originally got this game a couple years back and you can check out some of my videos i made of it. I hadn't had to do much but connect a cut wire and replace a fuse, however, now all the pf lamps are out including GI and inserts, and even the lit coin 25 cent on the coin door.

I have reseated all the edge connectors, checked and double checked all the fuses and clips. No dice. I checked the power supply as a visual inspection of everything and nothing looks out of place and there is NO burnt smell.

From using middle earth for a few years, I know the AUX board on the cab, left, usually gets really really hot. i mean I can usually feel the warm spot on the cabinet.. Now the cab is totally cool as well as the aux board transistors being completely cool.
The part that doesn't make sense to me is the HV displays are all fine and work as normal.

The game will coin up and play as normal scoring correctly thru the displays.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where the Aux board separates the power to the lamp strobes? or ideas on where to look for lamp power?

Nothing happened other than me powering it up being the trigger, and no fuses are blown.

Any Atari experts still lurking here?

1 week later
#35 3 years ago

Hey guys, just closing my problem post with the q5 bottle cap tranny being replaced. Fixed the problem entirely and the other trans all warmed up as well, the 4 others that control the lamp strobes.

Gotta say, still like this game!!

1 month later
#37 3 years ago

Hey gents and ladies, i hacked in a freeplay mod that i think can carry over to all atari pins.

The credit switch is Normal Open(NO) and for some reason the start button is Normal Closed, you can remove the wires (female spde connectors) going to the microswitch to the coin trigger switch (left or right, whichever is easier) and plug them into the start button switch keeping the ground common. The start button switch has the Normal Open prong available! when you press the start button, it will credit on push in, and then use the credit when the button is released!

Its super easy and completely reversible.

And let's face it, if you aren't playing an Atari pin for free, you are getting ripped off.....!

1 month later
#39 3 years ago

Check fuse for mpu. Mpu isnt booting

11 months later
#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Firebird71:

Hey Everyone,
I picked up a dead Middle Earth a few months back for cheap but it had no head. I've got a line in the works to pick up a head locally but no backglass.
I've got an idea I think will work well for making my own backglass but need some dimensions of the original. Any chance someone knows so I can get a sheet of glass cut?

there is a guy in london and another dude near lindsay that can hook u up with a head complete with a backglass. not sure the pricing but i don't think it would be much...

11 months later
#59 1 year ago

does this happen every mid ball? timing issue? capacitors?

2 months later
#82 1 year ago

Been a while but back with a video.

May have done the superhack to a Middle Earth playfield and its completely reversible. I find it makes the game more fun and maybe you will too - check it out!!

2 weeks later
#87 1 year ago

Got a buddy with a boardset that is doing odd things after being left on. Sometimes it can be soon, other times it takes a while. It is where the lights and coils spaz out is as its described .

Im thinking it may be the power supply or a bad power regulator

Anyone experience this before?

1 week later
#91 1 year ago

Nice to see these middle earth still kickin.

1 week later
#96 1 year ago

Awesome u are keeping these going.

Surprised this couldnt just be replaced with a pi or an old phone....

9 months later
#152 3 months ago
Quoted from MR-808:

Dug into Middle Earth yesterday:
* Cabinet sides have a few dings but overall is good.
* Backglass has some flaking.
* Backbox lamps all work.
* Cleaned the playfield and plastics while inspecting. No missing parts.
* The playfield has some planking, some scrapes around the lower flippers, and a little wear to the left of the left pop bumper. Looks dirty in spots, even after cleaning with Novus #3. Decent shape for 56k plays.
* Rubbers need to be replaced.
* All 4 flippers are cracked, but functional.
* The lock bar is worn on either end.
* Coin door could use a powder coat.
* One of the owl eyes had a hole drilled in it and a credit switch installed.
* Everything under the playfield appears to be present, except the CPU board shield.
* Since this game was in unknown condition, I started by checking fuse values and replacing several that were over-amped.
* Power supply outputs tested good while unplugged.
* Cleaned edge connectors with a fiberglass pen, after cleaning some sort of clear paste off them.
* Plugged everything in, powered on game, and it booted! What a pleasant surprise!
* Started a game, and the solenoids died almost immediately. Not sure if it was the flippers or pop bumper.
* Solenoid test showed all solenoids dead. Tested main solenoid fuse, found it dead.
* Clipped a 15A circuit breaker onto fuse clips. Solenoid test showed all solenoids working.
* Flipped left flippers without a problem. Flipped right flippers and tripped breaker. Saw a wisp of magic smoke coming from the upper flipper. Inspected and saw one of the diode bodies had disintegrated.
* Replaced diode. Flipper tested good. Replaced main solenoid fuse.
* Played a few games. I love_ the weird playfield layout. Are these the least greedy outlanes ever? The rightmost target in the upper bank is especially challenging to hit.
* Replaced over a dozen burned-out lamps.
I had low expectations for this cabinet, so I’m ecstatic that it had such minor problems.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Flipper bushing is probably broken for that flipper dragging into the pf!

#154 3 months ago
Quoted from Krentz:

Does anybody know the actual number of Middle Earths that were produced? Pinside claims 210 were produced, but that seems really low. Is it really that rare?

Its rare because no one played or wanted it!! I think it was into the 1000s and one of Atari pinballs most popular titles. Check google, i remember reading that and Space Riders did make some popular route games to fill space at locations.

1 week later
#170 3 months ago
Quoted from Krentz:

So the play counter on my Middle Earth reads over 47k, but the playfield doesn't show any noticeable wear at all. How likely is it that the playfield still looks fresh after 47k plays, or is it more likely the counter is incorrect?

46800 start and abandons after first ball launch.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trueno92.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-middle-earth-club-group-all-welcome?tu=trueno92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.