Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by neutrino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I am working on an Atari middle earth, this is the first one of these I have encountered.
The audio and game functions work including switch operation, but I don't have score display or feature lights.
you can play the game without score or feature lights, the game logic seems to work fine.

What It seems to be linked to a secondary bus, it is enabled by the buss available signal from the cpu but I never get a ba from the cpu. I tried all the obvious like a bad cpu or a load on the ba line. It is on the DxB data lines and all 8 data lines seem active. but I never get a ba. Both the display and feature lights are controlled by the DxB data lines.
Any ideas?
btw: cpu does not lock up the functions that are being read and processed are working fine.

#2 9 years ago

oh, just to add I replaced the eprom, and had a bad eprom and It miss read the instruction set and the feature lights came on, but not correctly, nor did the system work correctly(cpu lockup), but that told me that the bus b and most of the operation of buss b would work to some degree. I did get a good 2716 burnt and in the circuit and the unit is running as before with the original roms without the feature lights or scoring.

I was thinking that maybe the cpu is hung up on a feature not responding correctly on buss b.

#3 9 years ago

ok, as an observation the address lines a0 through a3 control the "a" buss, and jointly a4,a5 control a and b buss and a6 through a9 are dedicated to b buss as long as I have a ba. data would go through.
what is interesting is the a4 and a5 will send address info to buss b without the ba. I wonder if the cpu program is pulling information on the b buss and using it as some kind of pseudo interrupt to tell the program to read or write data to b buss, maybe what ever is supposed to send data from these two address lines is not functioning.

Just a guess, I cannot know what the programmers had in mind when they made that system, this is why it is tough to fix this one.

#4 9 years ago

Zap. I have a Middle Earth in columbus ohio i am trying to get rid of. I got the main board, sound, and display to run, but just have no desire to fix up the rest of the game. The edge connectors where absolutely destoryed and i couldnt find the right replacements so i hacked in .156" connectors. I have an extra PF too if you are interested... I would part with it all for like 300.

The logic on the MPU is very strange, i honestly don't get it at all. Very different than what WMS or Bally was doing. Insane amounts of TTL chips.

#5 9 years ago

instead of using 6821 pic controllers to communicate to the outside world they built their own interface for each type of communication. This machine is a customers of mine really all I need is the board. If you are willing to part it out I will take the main board but the whole machine does not have that great of value.
Otherwise I need to keep working the problem.

#6 9 years ago

I am trying to avoid parting out a working game, but i am starting to think it is worth more in pieces and no one wants the whole thing. That display has to be valuable working. Someone come take this thing out of my house in columbus ohio!

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I am trying to avoid parting out a working game, but i am starting to think it is worth more in pieces and no one wants the whole thing. That display has to be valuable working. Someone come take this thing out of my house in columbus ohio!

If it weren't a 9 hour round trip, I might be tempted.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-middle-earth-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.