PC180096_(resized).JPG
PC180100_(resized).JPG
PC180107_(resized).JPG
PC180103_(resized).JPG
PC180094_(resized).JPG
P8220291_(resized).JPG
h3_(resized).jpg
h2_(resized).jpg
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

This thread needs haiku's

Exciting at first
Then you plunge your second ball
Walk away early

Won't fit in your car
Borrow a friend's pickup truck
What was I thinking

Is that a cueball
Yeah, I think that's a cueball
I am so confused

It is not that big
Put it next to my Total
Recall two-player

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from FrostyMug:

I don't understand what that means It has been a very thirst quenching evening/night though

Could be my fault, I've been quenching as well my friend.... Lol

Basically I am stating that if someone literally approached me with the following:

1) Quantity (5) $100 bills, cash.
2) An Atari Hercules pinball machine

And that someone made me this offer:

"Why thee sir, tiss five hundred ducketts, please take this monetary contribution to get this huge piece of crap out of my gameroom and you can have it"

My response:

Take your $500 and your lame oversized pinball behemoth and GTFO here

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Could be my fault, I've been quenching as well my friend.... Lol
Basically I am stating that if someone literally approached me with the following:
1) Quantity (5) $100 bills, cash.
2) An Atari Hercules pinball machine
And that someone made me this offer:
"Why thee sir, tiss five hundred ducketts, please take this monetary contribution to get this huge piece of crap out of my gameroom and you can have it"
My response:
Take your $500 and your lame oversized pinball behemoth and GTFO here

Thank [burp] you for clearing that up. Since you are out west you have a time zones in your favor about now I need to sleep but wish I had 3 more hours to quench bud 4:10 am here now. I would rather have 1:10 am like you!!!! The quenching could continue friend!

Peace and have fun

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

The playfield does not lift up unfortunately. All work is done laying on your back through the bomb bay doors. Obviously sliding the playfield glass off is how you get to the top of the playfield. I also have a spare playfield that I've owned for years.
John P Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI
269-979-3836

Hercules_playfield_full_shot_(resized).jpg

How would you solder...with one of these?

1648512_2000x2000_(resized).jpg1648512_2000x2000_(resized).jpg

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Exciting at first
Then you plunge your second ball
Walk away early
Won't fit in your car
Borrow a friend's pickup truck
What was I thinking
Is that a cueball
Yeah, I think that's a cueball
I am so confused
It is not that big
Put it next to my Total
Recall two-player

how much for total recall? PM sent.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Another one popped up on ebay. It certainly needed a cleaning. Final bid was $2247.99
ebay.com link » Hercules Pinball Game Machine Atari

h1_(resized).jpgh2_(resized).jpgh3_(resized).jpg

Those are clearly wooden skee-balls in what I assume is the ball trough. I thought it used cue balls from a pool table.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Those are clearly wooden skee-balls in what I assume is the ball trough. I thought it used pool cue balls.

Yeah, they looked like skee-balls to me too. There is other arcade equipment in that storage area, so it's not surprising. There's even a baby pacman way back in one of the photos.

#58 8 years ago

yea, a cue ball is actually heavier and makes the game play crappier. The original is not a cue ball. Plays better with an original.

#59 8 years ago

I beleive the original WAS a cue ball I put a lighter trac ball in one at expo some years ago also there are 2 still operating at arcade in CEDAR POINT still

#60 8 years ago

I was told by numerous people that bought one when they were new that a cue ball is actually heavier than the ball that came with it. The original was more like a powerball, except a lot larger.

#61 8 years ago

It is not as much that it is a "turd" as it is to find replacements part for machine.
It uses a cue ball as a proper ball, if it shipped with something different from the factory, I don't know, because I never saw one NIB, as this was just a few years too young before tech work.

When I owned one, I had to get specially built machines assemblies when something broke like pop bumper assemblies, yokes, and such. That was the real PITA.

As a game it has plenty of value in museums or businesses. Really draws the crowds and makes good money.

It is not always about pure collector value, this game was never meant for that consideration when designed.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I was told by numerous people that bought one when they were new that a cue ball is actually heavier than the ball that came with it. The original was more like a powerball, except a lot larger.

It would be interesting for owners to "weigh their balls" (cough cough) and report back ...

I have a non working Herc at home, it'd been in storage for 10 years. I think it has a ball in it, I'll pull it out and weigh it in the weekend when I am home.

rd

#63 8 years ago

Does anyone know how many were made?

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from Gritty:

Does anyone know how many were made?

Production numbers are unconfirmed, but basic estimates were between 280-400 machines.
The low number came from Mr. Pinball which was released in a price guide over 10+ years ago.
Most collectors estimate somewhere in the 300+ range.

#65 8 years ago

The range stretches to 490 units at the moment.

http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=1155

#66 8 years ago

I knew a guy that had 3 of them. That's how I knew about the lighter original ball.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

The range stretches to 490 units at the moment.
http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=1155

I think you're reading the wrong thing. It says "production unknown". 490 relates to something else.

I had read 220 was the number made.

rd

#68 8 years ago

I am very good in reading:

"Coverage: 490 linear / 490 in 1 clusters 200 wide"

Judging by the serials registered already the production range there can be 490 pieces if there were no gaps in the numbering.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Judging by the serials registered already the production range there can be 490 pieces if there were no gaps in the numbering.

Ah, I see what that means. My apologies. Of course, that would rely on the missing numbers all have being made, so who would know?

I don't know where I read the 220 made ... I thought it was IPDB but they haven't got a number up. I read it just before I bought my Herc a few months back.

In the case of Hercules, I think it'd be easy enough to track the remaining ones down. They aren't something that is easy to hide ... everyone remembers a Hercules.

rd

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I think you're reading the wrong thing. It says "production unknown". 490 relates to something else.
I had read 220 was the number made.
rd

Quoted from MarAlb:

I think that extrapolating production numbers from the submitted serial numbers is about as accurate as we're going to get, since we're probably not going to see official numbers from Atari itself.

As far as I'm aware, Atari didn't skip blocks of serial numbers.

#71 8 years ago

All I know is the game plays much better with the lighter weight "trackball" ball.

#72 8 years ago

An old photo of Bally Bigfoot, the precursor to Hercules. I wonder what kind of ball that is.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4345&picno=49287&zoom=1

2 years later
#73 5 years ago

Bringing up this old thread as I'm poking around in my Hercules for various reasons. I think the playfield could be lifted out by two people.....it might be the way to go when trying to fix things underneath. I've got a short in at least one of the GI light strands and trying to trace it on my back is about impossible, especially since the legs were shortened to make the game fit in my basement. Has anyone taken one of these playfields out and was it pretty straight forward? I've also been thinking about adding some extra lighting to the pop bumpers somehow but was wondering if anyone else has done any mods to there game?
Thanks,
John

#74 5 years ago

yes have taken two out very easy to do just need to plan where you are going to set it on

#75 5 years ago

Just an FYI, Hershey Park (Hershey, PA) still has a non working one in their arcade.

20180821_153454 (resized).jpg20180821_153454 (resized).jpg
#76 5 years ago

Been thinking about this mod for a loooong time and I came across some LED strips that I had tucked away and thought I'd slap them in the Hercules to see what sorta effect it would have. The blue ball is even illuminated by the lights as it goes by and bounces around the pops. They could be just a little bit brighter but still a cool effect with stuff I just had laying around.
John

IMG_0003 (resized).JPGIMG_0003 (resized).JPGIMG_0004 (resized).JPGIMG_0004 (resized).JPGIMG_0005 (resized).JPGIMG_0005 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPG
4 years later
#77 1 year ago

So... is anyone aware of anyone trying to sell one? I am looking for a Hercules project that may be collecting dust....

If you are contemplating selling or know someone who is, please let me know what you have, what you are looking to get for it, and let's make a deal!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-hercules-just-sold-on-ebay/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.