(Topic ID: 208771)

Atari Dragster cheating player to lose decades-old Guinness World Rec.

By c508

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ImNotNorm
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1997 (resized).JPG
IMG_1996 (resized).JPG
IMG_1995 (resized).JPG
c29d06eadc6e74520e7a6d7ad315e51a--fat-women-motor-scooters (resized).jpg
C45EA6D6-900A-491C-BB45-ECC53B29109F (resized).jpeg
activisions_volume5_05 (resized).jpg
nofdokfelhpswwmlwiv5 (resized).png
dragster (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blake.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago

there has been a huge witch hunt for classic gamers of this era for a while now. Whats sad is that anyone who has seen these folks play in person at live events or for fun agree the skills are undeniable. I think he represented himself extremely well in that response and made all joe shmo's look like fools for attacking him, his family or friends. After many of these so called cheaters have been outed ive noticed the same thing over and over, the accusers are jealously trying to make a name for themselves. And to that I say good luck but id bet on the other guy.
Thanks
Blake

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Are you for real with this? Todd is a proven cheater and to be highly unethical. There's been smoke around his claims ever since he started submitting them. He knows he's a liar. We all know he's a liar. There is absolutely no reason to defend the guy. Stop letting him dupe you.

I'm not getting duped by him in anyway. I don't have anything to gain or lose by his actions right or wrong, true or false. Would you disagree that he is a world class high score player on multiple arcade classics and other platforms?
Thanks
Blake

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It's clear the Todd guy was a huge fraud, though. Terrible cheater.

Being a cheater and a fraud does not imply you are not the best at what you do. If that was true we would have to change the record books in every sport and achievements in every field. Barry Bonds, Lance Armstrong, and the New England Patriots are all known cheaters and frauds. Does that mean they were not the best at what they do?
Thanks
Blake

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Yes he's a world class high score cheater..

They are every where we look in every competitive recreation known to man. And yet no matter how hard we try us average guys and gals most likely will never come close to there skill sets or aptitude in their given platforms.
Thanks
Blake

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

All those "cheaters and frauds" still did a thing. Todd just said that he did a thing...that he didn't do. He's far worse.

Now I think that's more then stretching saying he has no accomplishments in his field.
Thanks
Blake

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Lance Armstrong was stripped of his wins. He was only the best because he cheated. Bonds was good without cheating, but he became better because he cheated. There is a reason it's called cheating.

Was Lance an OK bike rider? Or did he have something most of us including his peers (who were and still are also cheating, verified dozens if not hundreds of times) did not and do not have? No mention of the Patriots? Big fan maybe?
Thanks
Blake

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

So if someone won a bunch of money from you playing poker and they cheated, that would be fine because they were good at cheating? Got it - that makes sense...

your denying there is talent. If you or I would play him at his respected games, out of 100 games how many would we win?
thanks
blake

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Hey Blake, say hi to your uncle Todd for us...

I knew that was coming. That trains never late.
Thanks
Blake

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

He was a cheater. He should have done it without cheating. The patriots are cheaters too. They may have done it without getting caught most of the time. I don't know.

That's the best statement that's been made in this entire thread. "He should have done it without cheating." And I think if he was an average player we would not make that statement knowing that it was preposterous.
Thanks
Blake

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You've lost me with this. I have no idea what it means.

the typo I made didn't help. what I said was the fact that we think he should have done it without cheating implies he has a reasonable skill level to accomplish such tasks. If people truly believe he has no skill at the dozens of games he's had or made record attempts on then we would laugh at the thought of his ability to accomplish anything relevant in regards to high scores. If that's true then some of us are commenting on subjects we know nothing about.
Thanks
Blake

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Who said anything about talent. What if it was you and your buddies. By your logic you would admire your friend for cheating you and taking your money. Hey wanna play some poker?

The talent is what I'm talking about not the cheating or fraud. Admiration would have to come from something on a more personal level. I don't know Todd. I do know fellow hobbyist who know and have competed with him and to suggest there is no talent beyond an average skill set is foolish at the most blatant level. Which is what some of us wish he would have done, compete blatantly.
Thanks
Blake

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Blake, his clearly made up scores on games don't tell you anything at all? 15,000,000 on Donkey Kong? Games with scores divisible by 50, ending in a 90... It makes it seem like he didn't even know what a high score would look like. Like he never even played the games he was entering BS high scores into.
You can't trust anything he's done. It's all suspect.

I missed reading your post here. Yes it certainly says a lot, and anyone would have to doubt his credibility on any of his accomplishments or records. Thankfully for him there is an overwhelming amount of people both knowledgeable and not on the subject at hand that have seen him compete in person. Talent wise he is way above the norm on most classic games. That does not excuse his actions of cheating in any instance. It might very well mean that several of his records if not all are not legit. I certainly would not want to bet on it.
Thanks
Blake

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I believe he probably has great skills. It's irrelevant. If he cheated on one of his results, he's suspect on all of the rest. And he cheated on more than one.

That's all I was searching for. To see if someone truly thought he had skill or if that was a fraud too. Irrelevant to claiming records sure ill agree to that. Certainly hurts his claim to any of them.
Thanks
Blake

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Is Lance Armstrong a world class cyclist - yes. Is Todd a world class gamer - probably. Because of my value system as soon as i learned they had cheated, there accomplishment's are negated. You have a different value system, and that's where we disagree....

I think we both have the same morals and I too look down on cheaters.....as my son is reminded of frequently.
Thanks
Blake

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The difference between Todd and Lance is, when Lance got caught and it was undeniable, he admitted it. He never apologized for all the people he destroyed along the way, but at least he admitted it. That would be a good first step for Todd.

Agreed.
Thanks
Blake

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

For anyone saying this is good on Twin Galaxies, I don't know exactly how much you've followed Twin Galaxies, but there are tons of early records that they have that are spotty at best, and they have for ages refused to look at. I mean, heck, that was sort of the point of King of Kong. I feel like Todd definitely got that point correct in his response, and TG has to deal with a certain group of players that they more or less let run the place because they felt it was in some way beneficial to them to have a small group run the whole thing.
Ultimately, we're talking about Dragster, a game that I can't imagine anyone saying is their favorite 2600 game. If it wasn't for the debate over the best possible time on it, absolutely no one would care about any record on this game.
The overlooked thing in that video was that it was Activision back who said this was legit. Twin Galaxies wasn't a thing with 2600 games back then, but they allowed his score because of the Activision newletter (which I attached below). To get listed in it, when you were done with your game, you took a photo of the run and sent it to Activision. Apparently, Activision found three people who had gotten that exact same time in photographic proof. I see basically no way the three could coordinate their pictures, or edit them, or much of anything to pull off the feat back then.
Now, again, why Twin Galaxies only recognized one of them, I don't know, but it feels weird to look back at a score 35 years later and say that it's fake. So for this one, either Twin Galaxies was wrong for allowing an "imported" score from a different scoring authority and should have recognized none of them, or should have recognized all of them.
My theory is that Todd was really really good at games, and got an amazing score on Dragster in some way legitimately. After that point, to keep up his status, he was pressured to keep getting high scores on lots of different games - which would make sense, Activision hired him as an ambassador back then because of his skill. He couldn't do it, so a significant number of the other games which he held world records on were not legitimate were "embellished" to be better and to live up to the expectations that had been placed on him. For someone who was 16 when this all started, to me that seems like something that could have easily happened.
Is it worth all of his scores being questioned? Oh yeah, absolutely. But I think that this opens up *every* score pre-2000ish for questioning, and significant scores since then too. If you have too many people who gamed the system for too long, how is any of your stuff legit?
...Oh, and let me just add this. I'm totally cool with his score being thrown out because of the cheating on other things, but then I feel like those other two who received 5.51's from Dragster should be recognized in some way for it.

I'm sure if we look the rabbit hole is endless. Where the truth ends and the lies begin who knows. This can be said for many of the early pioneers of gaming. Both in the people playing and in the people/companies making these games. The later is a whole separate discussion with just as much crap to sift through.
Thanks
Blake

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Oh, I agree completely, but having Twin Galaxies be the authority on a considerable amount of this is just tough for me. Walter, who I have interacted with and is very nice, is also extremely trusting and doesn't like to rock the boat - which is not exactly the person who you want in charge of determining the actual records. It was easy to do when he was running an arcade and keeping a local scoreboard, but it is not easy when you're trying to be everything to everyone for record keeping.
This I think more than anything leads to issues with a considerable portion of the records. If I ran Twin Galaxies, I would...
- Put *everything* into a "historical" record. Keep this on the page.
- Restart *all* record keeping with a strict manner in which to do it is created and enforced.
- Explain that the historical record was created before the new records, and were competed with under a different ruleset that may have misrepresented some scores.
But this is super difficult for them to do because so many of the record holders were refs and are still hugely influential there, since the people who actually care about this thing is extremely insular.
Ultimately, the organization is held back by it's history, but so few people beyond them care about score chasing the super old records, so you end up with it being an endless loop. *All* of the records are questionable.
...and by the way, Todd wasn't even the first to get a 5.51. See below, from the earlier Activisions publication...

I too have heard almost exclusively across the board positive things from people who have met Walter. The same goes for the infamously hated Billy Mitchell. There is so much information to look through its daunting, and to think that for years one man basically did it on his own "Walter" is amazing. Change is coming I'm sure.
Thanks
Blake

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

That's the thing though - it wasn't done by just Walter. He assembled a bunch of "refs" to help him, which was essentially people who enjoyed setting records and cared about this stuff. And that made sense, because Twin Galaxies had no income to speak of because of the records, so how can you pay people to go through and verify world records or whatever unless they are really interested in it?
But the problem is with a small and insular world, the refs started to know each other and would just trust each other. Walter would trust them. Sometimes, they would input their own stuff. When this is the sort of thing that matters to you the most, and you're competing with a bunch of other people who this matters to the most... it's like letting the fox run the hen house, especially because Walter just generally trusted that people were doing the right thing.
Walter is extremely nice, but in the case of something like this, being nice doesn't ensure that things are done fairly.

Right on. There's undoubtedly a risk that's being taken to say the least. Do you know if there is any publications on the history of twin galaxies and the start of arcade high score records being kept?
thanks
Blake

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

A picture of me is in his Ottumwa time capsule. Haha. Weird stuff.

very cool!!!
thanks
Blake

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blake.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-dragster-cheating-player-to-lose-decades-old-guinness-world-rec?tu=Blake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.