20170711_021058 (resized).jpg
20170711_015704 (resized).jpg
20170711_015646 (resized).jpg
20170711_015532 (resized).jpg
20170711_015457 (resized).jpg
20170711_015352 (resized).jpg
20170707_155837 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I was trying to track down some lighting issues (in test 1 mode) and I noticed the dreadful smell of "hot electronics". I busted out the IR thermometer and found that several components on my Processor PCB were very hot. Specifically, three board components were reading hot:
1) C17 (0.1uf 25V ceramic disc capacitor) reading 500F+
2) CR1 (Diode, Transient Supp. P6KE18) reading 250F+
3) C1 (tantalum, 1uf 35V axial capacitor) reading 250F+

I assumed that those are not normal operating temps, so I need to replace something. I just don't know what to replace, and what order to start replacing things.

I checked the fuses on the Power Supply Assembly (F1-F6), all are good and properly rated for their position.

If you look at the schematics from the manual, it appears that all three of these components are directly "downstream" from J9, which provides logic power and logic ground (see image below).

Guesswork:
1) J9 sending too much power to the board. But wouldn't a fuse blow?
2) Improperly fused. But I checked the fuses and they are right.
3) Bad component. But which one? And which do I start with?

If these components were easy to find, I would just replace them all. But, I'm having trouble finding the correct components. And, maybe it isn't any of the "hot" components that are causing the problem (though they may all be damaged by now and should be replaced anyways), so I'm not sure what else I should inspect / replace.

There is a resistor, R1 (4 OHM, 10W) in the circuit, so maybe that is the failing part allowing too much energy through to the components?. I don't know if that is reasonable - not an electronics whiz.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Note: The machine works and plays without issue, but I'm thinking that the temps of these components is not normal so this is hopefully a preventative repair.

#2 6 years ago

Oops... I'll try attaching these images again...

20170704_203359 (resized).jpg20170704_203359 (resized).jpg

20170704_203352 (resized).jpg20170704_203352 (resized).jpg

AASchematic2 (resized).jpgAASchematic2 (resized).jpg

AASchematic1 (resized).jpgAASchematic1 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Board reverse:

AA1977BoardReverse (resized).jpgAA1977BoardReverse (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

So, not to be annoying, but... bump. Last try before going to Fry's and buying a bunch of components I probably don't need. Any takers...?

#6 6 years ago

Are you sure R1 isn't the heat source and heating the other three up?

The TVS would only be hot if you had excessive DC voltage... or AC voltage if he's the unidirectional type.
The Tantalum caps typically don't run hot... they like to go from working fine to catastrophic failure in one clean shot usually if there is a voltage surge (or AC voltage).
Cap C17 -- only way I have seen these fail is open or broken off. Heat would indicate a short... opposite of how these fail.

The J9 underside -- that's solder flux. Who ever replaced J9 didn't bother to clean the flux off when they were done.

To get a definitive answer on what is happening - measure the DC voltage at input and output side of LM323K voltage regulator.
Volt meter set to DC voltage: black lead to signal ground -- measure one side of R1 with red lead, then measure other side.
Then repeat with meter set to AC voltage.

As a side note -- WTF did Atari think they're doing by putting that beast resistor in parallel with the regulator? Very poor way to boost current if that was their intent.

#7 6 years ago

Not your problem, but will likely be a problem later: Those solder joints on J9 need to be redone. The ball shape is an indication that the through-hole or pad has been damaged and it is likely the solder didn't flow through the board very well.

#8 6 years ago

The one leg of c17 has no solder. J9 needs to look more like this.

IMG_3155 (resized).JPGIMG_3155 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago

That schematic has to be the dumbest design I've have ever seen.
WTF is there a 4ohm resistor ACROSS the 3A 5V regulator?
Obvously; I'm don't have the entire schematics; but wow... why would anyone do that?

Quoted from G-P-E:

As a side note -- WTF did Atari think they're doing by putting that beast resistor in parallel with the regulator? Very poor way to boost current if that was their intent.

Clearly I missed GPE's reply ... glad I'm not the only one who what like wTf!

I'd have to agree what everyone else is saying tho; that 10W 4ohm resistor is likely the cause of the heat.

#10 6 years ago

G-P-E

R1 does not get hot (until C17 starts getting really hot, then all the surrounding components catch some of that heat, including R1).

I'm new to this, so how can I identify the "signal ground" to check the LM323K ? As in, where do I put the black lead on the board? Also, another dumb question: I'm checking the voltage with the power on, right? (Did I mention I'm new to this ).

#11 6 years ago

Travish

I know the picture of the back of the board looks like there is missing solder around that C17 joint. I must have looked at the picture then looked at the board 5 times before I was sure I wasn't seeing things. It's just the way the light is in the picture - freaky, actually. There is a normal amount of solder on that C17 joint. But it looks missing in the picture - I see why you'd think that. I'll post a new pic to show it from a different angle next time I take the board out.

#12 6 years ago

After 2 minutes of being powered up:

AAC17IR (resized).jpgAAC17IR (resized).jpg

AACR1IR (resized).jpgAACR1IR (resized).jpg

AAC1IR (resized).jpgAAC1IR (resized).jpg

AAR1IRa (resized).jpgAAR1IRa (resized).jpg

AAR1bIR (resized).jpgAAR1bIR (resized).jpg

AALM323IR (resized).jpgAALM323IR (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

Nice job with photos. I am curious as well why it would be that hot.
-Mike

#14 6 years ago

Lift a leg of the caps in question. Are they shorted across the leads? Do they measure correct capacitance?

That area of the board gets really hot. If the tant cap was bad, it would probably explode or be burnt (open) looking.

#15 6 years ago

barakandl
Last night I pulled the cap completely off. I'm not sure what these numbers mean on my DMM's capacitance test. The value slowly increases the longer I leave the cap in. Does this help answer the questions you asked?

14993770359041301331839 (resized).jpg14993770359041301331839 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

Ooops, wrong mention tag.
@barakandI

#17 6 years ago

Disc caps like that rarely go bad... but are usually cheap enough to just replace.
Tant Caps; usually "explode" in a firey mess like barakandl said.

If I were doing this; I'd start by measuring the voltage coming into this circuit to ensure it's within spec. My "gut" tells me that the Atari design probably has a cabinet mount large filtering cap right after a bridge rectifier. I'd consider that a possible problem child if it's never been replaced. My thinking is in line with several others above...
your filtering cap may be bad leading to excessively high ripple voltage/current in this circuit. This would show itself as a high AC component in the voltage measurement.

Another possibility is that you have a bad rectifier (in the bridge) which might be allowing "back emf" thru the 4ohm resistor via the 3A 5V regulator, heating up these components on 1/2 the rectified DC wave form. I'm not sure that's even possible... but something a simple voltage check would show. IE follow GPE's recommendation in post 6. I would follow exactly what he recommended; create a table and post it here.

#18 6 years ago

88nF is 0.088uF. That would be within spec of the 0.1uF ceramic bypass cap.

When testing a cap on a DMM like that, it will likely take a while to charge up the cap and give you a reading. The cheapie mastech I use often can take 30 seconds to resolve a large capacitance.

I am guessing those caps are fine and just getting heated up by that power resistor. Replace them all including the big filter cap by the transformer to feel good about it.

Maybe I missed somewhere along the way, are you missing the +5vdc for that big logic board in the cabinet? I never really noticed that mentioned besides the heat thing and lamps.

#19 6 years ago

Those Atari boards ran hot a mother in their old video games of that era ran hot. When I attended the Atari service school we were told don't come close to touching the regulator heat sink or the load resistor when servicing the games.

That was the design. Remember, this was just prior to switching power supplies being used in commercial equipment.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Ramtuathal:

g-p-e
I'm new to this, so how can I identify the "signal ground" to check the LM323K ? As in, where do I put the black lead on the board? Also, another dumb question: I'm checking the voltage with the power on, right? (Did I mention I'm new to this ).

The ground is the large, bare area near those three components.
Get a measurement of those voltages and get back with us.

Also - for testing purposes, you can actually remove all three of those components. You can then tell if it was the components or the board under the components. Not recommended for long term but can do this for testing.

#21 6 years ago

G-P-E
I'm not sure I performed the measurement correctly, but here's my results. Also, I noticed that when I was taking the AC measurement, just touching the lead to the signal ground area was sufficient to read ~0.275... does that seem right?
I should add that I reattached C17 before performing the test.

AAR1testtable (resized).jpgAAR1testtable (resized).jpg

#22 6 years ago

barakandl

Quoted from barakandl:

Maybe I missed somewhere along the way, are you missing the +5vdc for that big logic board in the cabinet? I never really noticed that mentioned besides the heat thing and lamps.

I'm not sure what the "+5vdc" is. I'm attaching some pictures that might help you help me answer your question:

20170707_155903 (resized).jpg20170707_155903 (resized).jpg

20170707_155930 (resized).jpg20170707_155930 (resized).jpg

20170707_155913 (resized).jpg20170707_155913 (resized).jpg

20170707_155837 (resized).jpg20170707_155837 (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago

Zitt
If you look at the images I just posted above, I believe those giant blue cylinders are the filtering caps you were referring to, yes? I usually don't mess with those because I'm a big chicken. Is there some test I can do (that probably won't kill me) to check those filtering caps?

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Ramtuathal:

barakandl

I'm not sure what the "+5vdc" is. I'm attaching some pictures that might help you help me answer your question:

It would really be beneficial for you to take a basic electronics course at a local community college. Or, have a fellow hobbyist come over to help you with the basic checks.

#25 6 years ago

Based on your voltages - everything looks fine.
Your +12VDC input is at 12.3 -- good for unregulated power.
Your +5VDC regulator output is right at 5.0 -- your regulated 5V power is perfect.

Minor AC voltage so the large blue caps are fine. Voltages are within spec of the parts you took off so no problem there. I'm willing to bet the ground plane that was below the three parts you removed was causing the heat readings.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

I'm willing to bet the ground plane that was below the three parts you removed was causing the heat readings.

How might one go about solving the heat problem if it is the ground plane? New board, or is there something I can repair?

Also, I said above that everything else was working, but I forgot to mention an issue I'm having with a non-functioning pop bumper. I started another topic for that issue, but just wondering if anyone who has been posting here sees a connection between the heat issue and the this other issue I have with the same machine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-airborne-avenger-pop-bumper-not-working#post-3856489

Thanks to everyone who contributed helpful posts - I greatly appreciate the time you spend helping me.

#27 6 years ago

From what I've heard the heat may be normal (post 19).
If you are really concerned; then maybe a small DC fan could be hacked into blow on that area of the PCB; but not sure that is really necessary given the situation.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

From what I've heard the heat may be normal (post 19).
If you are really concerned; then maybe a small DC fan could be hacked into blow on that area of the PCB; but not sure that is really necessary given the situation.

I thought about adding a processor / power supply fan from a PC too. Good point.

I'm not sure what "normal" heat would be, but the area by the cap in question gets above 500F within 5 minutes - don't know how hot it will get at max. I usually solder on the board around 670F, so my concern is that if this isn't normal heat, it's going to start damaging other components, or at least soften their joints and make them come loose. Besides the fan, if there aren't any other DIY solutions, I guess I'll just run with it (and never leave the game on if I'm not home ).

Thanks everyone!

#29 6 years ago

My only other thought is can you be drawing more than expected current from that 5V logic power supply?
IE do you have bad electrolytic caps somewhere in the 5V circuitry which is causing excessive leakage; thereby, drawing a lot of current from the 3A 5V linear regulator and it's associated 4ohm "augmentation" resistor?

Just thinking outloud here... because I've never played an Atari Pinball machine... much less worked on one.

#30 6 years ago

Hoping somebody with an Atari can jump in here and see how hot their board runs. I'm thinking that they're using the bare ground plane as part of your regulator's heat sink, not an uncommon practice.

As Zitt referenced to - next phase would be to examine the current load from the 5V regulator. But this is far more difficult for beginners.
Since it seems all the logic being provided the 5V is located on that board -- this makes it close to impossible to measure the regulator's output current. You can measure the input current going to the regulator. Not a true picture of what the regulator is providing but a close one. You would need to pull the wire from J9 pin 1. Connect this wire into your meter's 20A input, connect the ground lead of your meter to where the wire was pulled from: J9 pin 1. Put your meter in the DC 10Amp mode and power up. Make sure you get the connections correct and the meter in the DC 10 amp mode... or your meter can go up in a puff of smoke.

But before you do anything:
A bit of math on what to expect the resistor to be dissipating for heat:
12.3 volts on one side and 5 volts on the other. There is a (12.3 - 5) = 7.3 differential across that resistor. The resistor is rated at 4 ohms. This means the resistor is dissipating (E^2 / R) = ((7.3 x 7.3) / 4) = 13.2 Watts across a 10W resistor. If that is a Vishay Draloric series resistor, that would be more than a 300F rise in temperature. Yeah ... I think I found your heat source. I'm rather surprised the resistor in the photo hasn't turned black by now.
Still wondering wtf Atari was thinking when they put that resistor in there. There are better methods of increasing the output of a voltage regulator. Probably money was the issue - all the methods involve additional money into the design.

#31 6 years ago

G-P-E :

Quoted from G-P-E:

Hoping somebody with an Atari can jump in here and see how hot their board runs. I'm thinking that they're using the bare ground plane as part of your regulator's heat sink, not an uncommon practice.

I bugged a guy with a Middle Earth about this:

Quoted from Ramtuathal:

Back near J9 (mostly around C17), I'm picking up 500F from that area on my IR thermometer. Does your board seem to run hot in that area?

his response:

Quoted from BabyPac:

No. Only area that is hot is the large ceramic resistor near the 5v regulator, near the solenoid section.

So, I think he's talking about what is labeled R1 on my board (the boards are similar enough, I think). *How* hot his gets, idk.

Also, thanks for showing the math on R1 wattage / heat - that helps me understand where the heat could be coming from. Your explanations are very clear and helpful.

I'm not sure if I'll tackle that next step that Zitt and you have cautiously recommended just yet. However, I'm having trouble with a pop bumper and no bites on the forum. Would you mind taking a look at my post if you have time?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-airborne-avenger-pop-bumper-not-working

#32 6 years ago

G-P-E Zitt barakandl Travish

Well, I guess I need to apologize for vexing the posters on this thread because I inadvertently sent you on a wild goose chase, I guess.

I was concerned about the high temps from C17, etc. I *really* did smell hot electronics, which prompted me to check the board in question with my (non-invasive IR) thermometer and make this original post. However, something weird happened as I continued to work on this Atari. I was working on another issue while the machine was powered up and, to confirm my previous temp measures, I shot the IR at the suspect area from a different angle and got much lower temp values. This threw me off, so I dug out the temp probe accessory for my DMM (a feature I thought was useless before... you never know, I guess). The surface measurements with the DMM probe were *MUCH* different than my IR thermo. Weird. I kept testing different areas and found that:
1) The surface probe didn't show anything near the temps that the IR was showing.
2) R1 was, in fact, the hottest part ( G-P-E and others told me that R1 was the main suspect, but I thought the IR was showing hottest on C17).
3) The IR thermo has an issue; the laser pointer is not "sighted in" for close measurements. So, when I thought I was measuring C17, the IR lens was absorbing R1 heat. That is, R1 *IS* the hottest component on the board. (Thanks guys).
4) By measure of the DMM temp probe (and also, admittedly, one of my meat thermometers), nothing on the board gets above 160F. That is a huge difference from the IR thermo giving readings above 500F.

In conclusion, I should have thought:
1T) "These temps are way too high; no way I'm getting good measurements."
2T) "Maybe I should verify this data through another method..." (duh).

I'm attaching some images. I turned the machine on for 5 min., and then I took these temp measurements with the IR and the DMM surface temp probe immediately after powering down and unplugging the machine.

There is still the mystery of what the board / R1 was doing to the electromagnetic spectrum to generate the temps the IR was reading. I mean, the power was off and the IR was still reading really high temps... but... why?

Anyway, I found a "Bermuda Triangle" for IR temp measures on Atari boards - maybe this thread will be useful for future Atari Airborne Avenger users.

Thanks again to everyone who was scratching their head on this.

20170711_015352 (resized).jpg20170711_015352 (resized).jpg

20170711_015457 (resized).jpg20170711_015457 (resized).jpg

20170711_015532 (resized).jpg20170711_015532 (resized).jpg

20170711_015646 (resized).jpg20170711_015646 (resized).jpg

20170711_015704 (resized).jpg20170711_015704 (resized).jpg

20170711_021058 (resized).jpg20170711_021058 (resized).jpg

20170711_021105 (resized).jpg20170711_021105 (resized).jpg

20170711_021118 (resized).jpg20170711_021118 (resized).jpg

20170711_021138 (resized).jpg20170711_021138 (resized).jpg

20170711_021324 (resized).jpg20170711_021324 (resized).jpg

20170711_021506 (resized).jpg20170711_021506 (resized).jpg

20170711_021221 (resized).jpg20170711_021221 (resized).jpg

20170711_021506 (resized).jpg20170711_021506 (resized).jpg

20170711_022051 (resized).jpg20170711_022051 (resized).jpg

#33 6 years ago

And, for those who were concerned about J9, I reflowed / removed solder for that header (thanks for pointing out how jacked up J9 was). I tried my best to clean it up:

20170710_211429 (resized).jpg20170710_211429 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-airborne-avenger-capacitor-overheating-on-processor-pcb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.